Tracking Changes between Patches

RuQu

They wipe the PTS forums, and I want to be able to track some of these changes we have been discussing over there, so I'm recreating a topic here. Some of the tests we wanted to do never happened, due to a shortage of people copied who were interested/capable of providing the relevant data. Once it goes live we can continue these tests with the larger user pool.

The tests so far from the PTS thread:

Georg Zoeller claims that there were underlying math and mechanics changes that make these changes not as bad as they first appear. We were hoping that we could uncover some of these changes through testing. So far we have not.

Before getting into the tests, he confirmed that Medical Probe still costs 3 Ammo. Some of us had hoped that the base cost was reduced to 2 Ammo which would make AP/MP still be 3, and would make healing on a pre-Field Triage low-level Commando easier. This did not happen.

Test #1 Smart Healing

Test: He took off his armor, put it back on, and tossed a Kolto Bomb down in a group of 4 people near him. They were all at full health.

Result: He, the only one not at full health, did not get healed. The 4 in a cluster at full health, did.

Verdict: No smart-healing on KB.

Test #2: Stat Curve Changes

Sithwarrior.com looked at the client files and reported that only the values for Expertise changed. We did some testing to confirm.

Test: We recorded his stats and derived values (ie stat: crit rating, derived value: crit chance), both on Live and PTS, naked and fully geared. We also used his ratings and the current Live formulas from Sithwarrior.com to compute "calculated values" to compare to the "actual values."

Result: The Live calculated and actual matched for all values, as expected.

The PTS values all matched, except for two. His Ranged Crit Chance was short 3%. We suspect that this is a bug and that the Special Munitions skill was not applying correctly despite the tooltip still saying "Ranged and Tech Critical Chance." Tech Critical Chance matched perfectly. The other oddity was the Critical Multiplier. There was a phantom 1% buff that was present both naked and with gear on. It has been decided that this 1% came from Companion Affection, as all of his are maxed out.

We did not compare Expertise at this time.

Verdict: The only two values that appear changed also appear to be bugs. As far as we can tell, there were no changes to the stat curves.

Update: Additional tests seemed to at first show that there were changes to the curves server-side that were not reflected in the client. Additional review has shown that these discrepancies were caused by unaccounted for buffs and a lack of precision in the logs (integers only). Once these were taken into consideration, everything matches what it would on the Live servers and there are no stat changes currently on the PTS except Expertise.

Test #3: Psych Aid Heal

Update: I checked the client files directly and the values for the new Psych Aid skill heal are as follows:

Coefficient: 0.1

standardHealthPercentMin: 0.02

standardHealthPercentMax: 0.08

At level 50, standardHealthPercent = 7085, so the base heal range for this heal is 141.7 to 566.8. You can then add 0.1*(Your Bonus Healing) to see how much it would heal for. As an example, with 450 Bonus Healing this will heal for an average of 399.25. For context, a Hammer Shot cast with the same power heals for 450.

Old: He checked the heal attached to Psych Aid. The tooltip was very small, but that is due to the long-standing tooltip bug. Casting it, it healed for ~380 (We forgot to write it down, but it was in the high 300s). His Bonus Healing is 472.6, meaning that the heal on Psych Aid is weaker than Hammer Shot.

Test #4: Alacrity and Regen

Test: We had him burn all of his Ammo both naked and geared, and tracked the time to get to full Ammo again. We repeated this 10 times per gear setup, for a total of 20 tests. There is some error due to reflexes as he would say "Empty" and I would hit start, and the same at the end. There is also some error introduced by the UI and the lack of distinction between 0 Ammo and 0.9 Ammo.

Results: Geared(5.16% Alacrity) Naked

Average 28.75 28.98

Std Dev 1.04695325163593 0.968159766429683

Verdict: No difference. Given the simple nature of all of the other changes it was unlikely that they would modify a base mechanic, but we thought it was worth testing. It is perhaps worth repeating this test with someone with a much higher Alacrity rating, as 5.16% is quite low (and Lileth has neither of the two alacrity skills).

Test #5: Instant vs Cast Regen

This one might need a little background. Currently on Live, if you are at 100% and cast an instant ability, it deducts the cost and then triggers the 1.5s cooldown. If you are at 100% and then cast a 1.5s spell, it deducts the cost after the cast finishes, and there is no GCD, you can immediately cast the next ability.

This means that, for a Scoundrel, it takes longer to return to 100 Energy if they cast UWM/SRMP than it does to cast SRMP/UWM. This was never seen on Commandos due to all of our instants being free, but will become an issue with TP.

Test: We timed the regen time after casting 4xTP and after casting AP+3xTP. We repeated both 10 times each.

Results: 4xTP AP+3xTP

Average 8.74 11.51

Std Dev 0.673630297550347 1.34449494854634

Verdict: This mechanic remains unchanged.

New:Test #6: Coefficient Check

Test: I compared all of the coefficients and standardHealthPercent modifiers (the values that determine how much something heals for) between the Live 1.1.5 and PTS 1.2 data files.

Results: No changes except in Kolto Cloud / Recuperative Nanotech. Strangely, KC/RN does not show the 10% buff claimed in the Patch Notes, but is instead only a 3.4% buff.

newTest #7: Item Budget Changes

We compared the gear Lileth had equipped on PTS and Live to see what changed. The following changes are negative if his PTS stat was lower than Live, and positive if it was higher on PTS.

Presence: +30 (Likely from companion affection and Legacy)

Aim: -11

Endurance: +27

Expertise: +96 (note that his gear had none, this was a base change)

Alacrity: -102

Surge: +102

Critical: -107

Power: +90

Note that the stat trade-offs are Alacrity vs Surge and Power vs Crit. As we can see the item budget for Alacrity and Surge didn't change, simply the itemization allocation. What did change was the budget for Power/Crit and for Aim on the armorings. The item budget lost 11 Aim and lost 17 Power/Crit.

Verdict: Item budget took a stealth nerf.

Pending Tests

Lileth's guild was copied over with a Seer, Sawbones, and Combat Medic. They are going to have a tank and 2 dps run the same HM with each of the three healers and write up After Action Reports describing how it felt to heal, resource usage, average resource level, stress level, deaths, etc. Tank and DPS will report on anything of note running with each healer and compare how it felt to be healed by each, deaths, necessary cooldown usage, medpac usage, etc. They will also run the same HM FP on Live for comparison.

Logs will be collected from the PTS run, but sadly, of course, cannot be compared with any Live logs.

From the logs we will look at the usage rates of abilities which we can compare to experience from Live.

I'd like to do a comparison of the item budget between 1.1.5 and 1.2, so I'd appreciate it if people could look up and post the relevant stats for their class' Tionese, Columi, and Rakata gear, including ear, implant, weapon, offhand, wrist and bracers.

I already have the Commando Combat Medic stats laying around in a file, so that part is done. It would be helpful if someone would do Sawbones and Seer for me.

I am reserving this post for a comparison of sustained and burst HPS once 1.2 goes Live.

Details of that test:

Go to the Tattoine Open PvP area.

Have your pets attack each other.

Start your log and do your max sustained healing rotation for ~5 minutes.

Repeat with a "max burst rotation" for as long as it takes to burnout.

"Max Burst" should be done with all cooldowns available. Scoundrel should start with full UH stacks, Commando should start with 30 CSC stacks. Heal as hard as you can, blowing all cooldowns, until you are completely out of resources. Assume that there is no time for a weak HS or DS cast from Commando/Scoundrel. It is Sage's call if he wants to use NS on proc, but if so he doesn't have the extra spare GCD to heal himself or his pretend target dies. Of course, I'm not even sure if HT is in Sage burst rotation anyway. Scoundrel should do burst twice, once with heavy Kolto Pack usage, once without.

For "Max Sustained", start as you would any boss fight.

Commando:

All cooldowns available, 30 stacks of CSC, etc. Everyone should heal as hard as they can without crippling their regen, which includes bursting down when Recharge Cells / Coolhead is available (during SCC for max effect for Commando, of course). For this test, I'd like it if you could do it twice, once keeping TP on the pet at all times, once only pre-casting it at the start but never refreshing.

Scoundrel:

For his sustained rotation, see if he can do it twice. Once using Emergency Medpac for all of his UH consumption, and another where he uses Kolto Pack whenever he hits 3 UH and can afford it Energy-wise, even if it means he has to slip in a clipped Diagnostic Scan. Use his best judgment as an experienced Scoundrel to try and optimize that.

Sage:

All cooldowns available at start. No variants I can think of.

Every fight would be a separate log. Commando: 1 burst, 2 sustained. Scoundrel: 2 burst, 2 sustained. Sage: 1 burst, 1 sustained.

Should take about 15 minutes total for the Scoundrel, slightly less for the others.

Please provide separate logs for each rotation, with a list of which file is which rotation/character. Please also provide your full stats and the item level of your gear.

Here's my contribution, in my own typical style...

Welcome to GeorgZoeller's quote corner!

Most of these quotes either allude to changes, or quantify the ones that have been discovered (or are in the patch notes)... yet hardly qualify as "underlying changes" that would cast the healer nerfs in any better light.

Note that I fully expect the links to break once the PTS forum is "archived", but the titles should give an idea of the context, and I will include quotes to which GZ is replying when available/necessary.

These quotes are preserved in their entirety. Particularly relevant parts of larger quotes are emphasized with bold and underline formatting.

Spoiler tags are used for ease of use for longer or more tangentially relevant quotes.

Quotes directly related to this discussion (direct reference to supposed underlying changes) will be excluded from spoiler tags, unless otherwise noted.

Healer Testing and the Search for "Underlying Changes": 03.23.2012 , 07:43 PM

Out of curiosity, isn't the reason most of these changes are being implemented is to make the game more challenging? It would seem that ever since launch the "majority" of players have been screaming that the game is WAY too easy. Given that assumption, shouldn't it be much harder now for a top-end guild with BiS gear to clear a NM Ops unless they change their method of approach?
The reason for some of the changes is in fact to increase the challenge level of top end content by tightening class balance. Healing through top end content was, as a fact, not tightly balanced enough in the past and a prime contributor to the fact that our top end difficulty content was just not providing the challenge level people expected.

This encapsulates both the medpac change (without being able to make safe assumption about the availability of optional healing, it is impossible to strike a reliable balance that doesn't require people to shell out hundreds of thousands of credits for item based healing) as well as the class changes.

The other major reason is class to class and role to role balance.

(Yes, he replied to this thread's original posting on the PTS forum without answering or addressing the topic at all.)

Bounty Hunter Nerf pretty big.: 03.17.2012 , 12:39 AM

Let me also say that there's significant under the hood changes to stats, diminishing returns, itemization stat budget, a new tier of gear with different stats and more diverse mods, changes to PvE and PvP math, etc.

That means that it is not possible to assess impact of class changes in regards to power gain or loss from the patch notes alone, people will have to go on PTS and actually play to get the full picture.

Which we highly encourage you to do! :)

Sage Seer Tree Changes Initial Thoughts: 03.17.2012 , 06:18 PM

Thank you for actually testing things in the game before posting. It's feedback from people like you we are interested in.

Games are not balanced on paper and actual gameplay impact of changes is not easily determined from patch notes, especially when so much of the surrounding game logic has been modified.

It is impossible to capture every element of change in patch notes, and it's even more impossible to prevent people from reacting to patch notes without taking the time to actually test.

We will be monitoring the game data coming from PTS, as well as guild feedback and constructive feedback based on gameplay on PTS and make adjustments and changes for the PTS period of the patch and beyond where necessary.

1.2 Sorc Nerfs:

03.23.2012 , 09:32 PM

What I am oposed to is sage/sorc being nerfed so hard that fresh 50's won't be able to complete story mode FP & OPs without gear that drops in HMs.

As for the BW internal testers being able to complete the HM after the nerf- they should be able to.. they've always known how the bosses worked- it's all they do all day.

Hey,

We would be concerned too if that was the result, which is why this content has been tested and continues to be tested. We have nothing to gain from excluding a class from game content, so please understand that the outcome you are afraid of is something we don't want to see either.

As for our testers knowing the mechanics; sure, they usually do (although we do blind tests as well), but they are also not perfectly geared either to ensure there's some wiggle room to test for 'less perfection'.

HM Lost Island - overtuned? Your thoughts:

03.22.2012 , 02:24 PM

OP were you using a sorc healer?

If so that was your problem, they can't heal in 1.2 anymore.

To put it bluntly, that's just not true.

Our own testers (internal and contracted) can run the Flashpoint just fine, as can all other classes that have a healer role.

03.22.2012 , 04:49 PM

Before this derails into a healer-centric thread.

What I did not rule out is that the new Flashpoint is too hard. That's entirely possible and something we're going to decide after analyzing more test data.

My comment was directed at the specific assumption that Sorcerer healers would be the reason for the troubles experienced.

03.22.2012 , 07:57 PM

This is part of the problem though. You're basing your balance on players who have far more experience with the game than your general population. When you tweak it too hard your middle of the road, and casual players are going to get pissed off. And guess what? They make up the majority of your player base.
That aside, as I said before - I made no statement regarding the balance of Hard Mode Lost Island. That might well be overtuned (and is subject to testing on PTS for that reason). My comment was directed at the assumption that the Sorcerer healing changes were the reason why people had trouble with Lost Island.

Healers are now more closely balanced in Game Update 1.2. If you have trouble with a sorcerer in Lost Island, you'll likely have the same trouble with other healer roles.

Side note: Contracted testers were actually taken from across the community.

Medpacks... are you kidding me?!?!!?!?:

03.22.2012 , 12:36 PM

Making the medpacs variable more controllable for endgame content is a necessary precondition for the creation of tighter, more closely balanced fights.

We don't want medpacs to be as important as class abilities, and we feel they should not become part of rotations. On longer boss fights, this is a trend we've seen happening, and we've counteracted this. Obviously, where needed, boss mechanics would be adjusted to account for this, but we don't really anticipate much impact for that on existing content.

New content (such as Operation: Explosive Conflict and Flashpoint: The Lost Island) is significantly tighter balanced already, with this limitation in mind.

A positive side effect is that the cost of running endgame content is somewhat reduced by this change.

We are still in discussions to restore pre-level 50 medpacs to their previous condition to avoid negatively affecting the PvE game during the leveling process for people that heavily rely on medpacs.

03.22.2012 , 12:39 PM

I can understand the change for PVE fine...no issues there...

But ooc mechanics in PVP are broken..I've played entire hutball matches without dying and without ever leaving combat... a 6-10min game where I can only use my PVP medpack once?

You exit combat in PvP 8 seconds after the last hostile action. DOTs do not refresh this status.

You're playing very unusual games of Huttball if you never drop out of combat. Especially given that the ball resets to the center after someone scores, moving the action quickly.

03.22.2012 , 02:26 PM

No you don't, your getting out of combat mechanic is completely broken.
You are welcome to send us bugs if you think you have a case where it is broken. We'll gladly fix it for you in that case.

03.22.2012 , 04:25 PM

And what about PVE? Doing a HM Flashpoint or Op and only being able to use one heal.
It's an intentional change. You can use 1 medpac per individual combat, not 1 per Flashpoint. That makes it much easier for us to balance a Flashpoint more tightly to player ability.

The definitive word on end game itemization in 1.2:

04.10.2012 , 05:56 PM

Hi,

There have been quite a few threads where you have voiced confusion regarding the end game itemization in 1.2 and I want to take the opportunity to clarify what you are going to see in the game when Game Update 1.2 goes live on Thursday.

One of the issues we are dealing with on the PTS Forums is that we are not only introducing changes from the current state of the game (1.1.5x), but also several changes a week. Without wiping our Forums weekly, it is inevitable that these updates cause significant confusion about what it is in the game, what is intended to be in the game, etc.

So, without further ado....

PvE

Tionese / Columi / Rakata Gear

These sets are not changing. Their stats have not changed from their pre 1.2 state and they are acquired in the same way as they were before 1.2, except for the following changes:

- The drop rate for Tionese commendations has been increased from all the existing sources.

- Columi can now be acquired, in addition to the existing sources, from the new Lost Island Flashpoint (Hard Mode) and their distribution rate has been slightly increased, mostly through weekly quests.

- Rakata can now be acquired, in addition to existing sources, from the final Boss of the new Lost Island Flashpoint (Hard Mode) and the story mode of Operation: Explosive Conflict on Denova.

A temporary change on PTS that modified some existing rakata gear has not been taken into the final version 1.2 based on testing feedback.

"Campaign" and "Black Hole" Gear

Campaign gear is the new tier of PvE set items we are rolling out with the Explosive Conflict Operation. It shares the set bonus with Rakata, allowing seamless equipment upgrades and is acquired through tokens acquired in Hard Mode of Operation: Explosive Conflict and the new World Boss on Belsavis.

All Campaign gear can also be reverse engineered for a chance to learn the associated schematic. For armor, this means a chance to learn the custom (orange) appearance of item, for implants, earpieces, mods, etc. This means learning to craft the item itself. All of these may be crafted critical for an additional augment slot or, in case of a mods, additional resulting items.

Campaign gear uses a different stat distribution from previous sets with greater variety of available stats and better base stats.

Unlike Rakata, Columi and Tionese gear, Campaign gear carries it's set bonus on the armoring of every piece. This means that players may transfer all mods and armoring out of campaign gear into any custom (orange) appearance available without losing the benefit of the set bonus. Please note that moving an armoring with a set bonus into a pre 1.2. item shell with a set bonus (e.g. a Rakata Shell) will be resolved with the armoring taking precedence (Sorry, no stacking here :))

As mentioned previously, all armoring found in endgame gear now 'binds to slot' upon extraction - Armoring removed from a pair of gloves will only fit into another set of gloves. However, there is the possibility to acquire 'universal' armorings that fit into any slot through direct drops (e.g. not contained in an item). Those however will never carry a set bonus.

Black Hole Gear is similar to Campaign gear, but lacks the set bonus. It does however offer additional stat distribution options not available on Campaign gear. It also cannot be reverse engineered into appearances (although mods / earpieces, etc. can be learned).

Black Hole gear, unlike Campaign items, is acquired from trading in Black Hole Commendations found through weekly quests in the new Corellia area as well as the weekly quest for the Rise of the Rakghoul flashpoints (Kaon/Lost Island). It also drops on bosses in Operation: Explosive Conflict on all difficulties.

Two new color crystal variations may be found as part of the random drops in the new Operation: Black Core Purple and Black Core Orange. These colors are introduced separately from the weapons, which now come by default with more traditional colors available. It is worth noting that we are not extending the stat progression on crystals, meaning the existing +41 crystals found in 1.1.5 continue to be the top end of the crystal progression.

PvP

Centurion and Champion

Centurion and Champion gear, as of 1.2, has not changed, but will no longer be available for purchase. Existing gear on characters of course stays in the game.

Recruit Gear

Recruit gear is the new, blue entry level PvP gear available from the new PvP Recruit vendor on the fleet. It is acquired directly through credits without any Valor requirement and serves as a bootstrap to enable players coming straight out of the leveling game to participate in endgame PvP in the 50+ bracket. Power wise, it sits between Centurion and Champion, but lacks the set bonus and cannot be modified.

Battlemaster Gear

Battlemaster Gear, as of 1.2, no longer requires a 60 Valor rating and is acquired straight through Warzone commendations at the Battlemaster PvP vendor on the fleet.

As of 1.2, Battlemaster gear features an increased budget of expertise and an update stat distribution on a small subset of items on some classes.

These changes to the stat distribution are a result of issues fixed with the original Battlemaster set of mods. As mentioned before, we will automatically update your Battlemaster items to the new version when you log into the game the first time after 1.2 has been deployed, provided that the items still contain their original mods. Reinserting these mods into the existing gear will suffice for this purpose.

War Hero Gear

War Hero gear is the new tier of PvP items introduced with patch 1.2. It is acquired through trade in of 'ranked warzone commendations' and the corresponding Battlemaster Shell (empty appearance, mods may be extracted before trade-in). Some items do not require a Battlemaster trade-in but instead can be acquired by warzone commendations. War Hero gear does not require a valor rating.

I found this community created image to be a nice visual summary of the situation (although prices may still change as we put finishing touches onto the patch).

Just as with Campaign gear, War Hero items carry their set bonus on the armoring and all mods, including the armoring which may be extracted and moved into any custom (orange) shell in the game.

An additional upgrade option exists for players who wish to benefit from an additional augment slot but retain their Battlemaster or War Hero appearance: It is possible for crafters to obtain the schematics to create orange (and potentially augmented) version of the armor through 'schematic boxes' on the PvP vendor and sell the resulting items to players via the GTN.

It is worth noting that these crafted appearances will require the player to have Valor Rank 60 (Battlemaster) or 70 (War Hero) to equip.

As a side note, we will allow trading of Warzone commendations into ranked Warzone commendations at a ratio of 3:1.

All in all, PvP gear in 1.2 features a much stronger focus on Expertise in itemization and the diminishing returns cap for this stat has been modified to account for that change.

Color crystal wise, we've added Expertise crystals of various colors for direct purchase via warzone / ranked commendations, as well as crafted PvP expertise crystals of several colors.

Any more questions? I'll be monitoring this thread for a while and try to clarify what I can.

-- Georg

1.2 - New Rakata Itemization:

Note: The following quote was superseded by Georg Zoeller's "The definitive word on end game itemization in 1.2" thread, and refers to design that has since changed, as confirmed by quotes from that thread. Refer to the quote above for information on the current itemization design.

03.20.2012 , 05:26 PM

The itemization/mods inside Rakata gear on the PTS are MUCH better. However, will we be allowed to trade in our current Rakata gear for the new ones then?

Right now, the Rakata mods I already have (some pulled out) are NOT retroactively affected by this change - however, the Rakata pieces on my companion for example, whose mods I didn't change, WERE affected by the new itemization. If this is the case, then it's like we'll have to work on grabbing our sets all over again just because 1.2 Rakata mods > 1.1.x Rakata mods. So I do hope there will be retroactive change, even if the mods have been pulled out.

Secondly, the Battlemaster Mods/Enhancements have the same stat budgets as Rakatas, but with +expertise. So, it feels like you can just grind WZ commendations, pull out the BM mods, and slot them in and get Rakata-level/equal stats +expertise. Is this intended? Or do the devs intend to reduce the secondary stat budgets on the BM gear because of the added expertise on the mods/enhancements?

Hey, some answers.

1. Yes, we have updated the stat distribution on Rakata gear with 1.2.

2. If you have not modified your gear, it will seamlessly update the mods inside when you log into the game the first time after the patch has been applied.

3. If you have modified your gear, it will retain any changes you have made. Any mods you didn't change out will update.

4. Restoring the original mods into the item, before 1.2, will cause them to upgrade at the time of the patch.

The problem, of course, is that if you hand modified your gear, we ultimately have no way of knowing what your intention was. Maybe you wanted to use the mod you removed somewhere else, maybe you just wanted to replace it. We cannot make any assumption as to the intention of individual users when modding the item, preventing us from upgrading already modified items post fact.

TL;DR: Any 'original' mod in an updated item will upgrade with the patch. Any 'foreign' mod added to an item will be left untouched.

Hope that answers your questions.

Edited by Xaearth

Curses! Seems some of the other devs are trying to steal GZ's thunder. But turning GZ's quote corner into a generic dev team quote corner just wouldn't be the same, so I'll stick non-GZ quotes here:

1.2 Sniper DPS broken?:

Although referencing DPS and weapon damage, the following quotes by APeckenpaugh seem to imply that certain "under-the-hood" changes are not in the 1.2 build, but are slated to be released in a 1.2.x build.

04.11.2012 11:33 AM

I believe there are a couple of culprits contributing to the subpar DPS being reported in this thread.

First, for those unaware, we've identified that training dummies cannot dodge or deflect attacks, which is an issue we're working on a solution for. In the mean time however, this means Accuracy Rating is effectively not contributing to your DPS when attacking a training dummy. As this is a very common stat on Sniper and Gunslinger gear, it's likely that tests performed against training dummies will show lower DPS than other classes that rely less on Accuracy.

Additionally, we've adjusted some of our assumptions regarding how weapon damage interacts with enemy chances to dodge and deflect. In an as-of-yet-undetermined patch after 1.2, you'll see a small but noticeable damage increase to a few key attacks for Snipers and Gunslingers.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Snipers and Gunslingers are a difficult class to play. As "pure DPS" classes (like the Marauder and Sentinel), Snipers and Gunslingers require a good deal of skill to wield properly, and finding and executing a proper rotation is key to ideal resource management and damage output.

In summary, our internal tests don't support these claims, but some of that is due in part to the "real world conditions" in which these tests are conducted. Our findings are and continue to be that Snipers and Gunslingers, in the right hands, played in a real world setting are actually performing extremely well. These classes are on and beyond our targets, extremely similar in performance to Marauders and Sentinels. And for clarity, those "targets" I'm mentioning are the kill times and DPS that we aim all damage dealing specs in the game to meet (and it's the same target values for all specs).

04.11.2012 06:40 PM

It doesn't seem that the dev that responded, had been following either. He commented on target dummies lowering sniper dps and real world situations being the example to pull metrics. Yet that is what most of the parses were, real world (read: raids/ops), and they were lower. Hmm. Sucks that even when they read feedback they can't comprehend said feedback.
I should have separated my thoughts more clearly. Maybe I can clear up some of the confusion.

For those testing their DPS against training dummies, be aware that, depending on your spec and gear, right now there is an issue that will cause training dummies to not be the accurate depiction of DPS that we want them to be. We're working on that.

For those testing their DPS in the new Ops, the simple response is that our tests show higher numbers. We aren't seeing a shortage in Sniper/Gunslinger DPS. To the contrary, we're seeing them hit our targets.

Lastly, in doing these tests, we exposed an issue in how we value weapon damage and defense, the result of which would increase weapon damage globally by a very small amount. When we change our assumptions, we want to apply the result to the live game to keep the many, many varieties of character builds all playing "with the same rules," with an eye on not upsetting balance too much. To put this into words relevant to this thread, Snipers and Gunslingers will see a small increase to weapon damage in a patch some undetermined time after 1.2, which in additional tests, caused them to hit and sometimes exceed our targets by a margin we're perfectly comfortable with.

To those asking about the issue with alacrity causing ticks of channeled attacks to drop, we're looking into it. Thanks very much for bringing that to our attention.

-----------------------------------------

Wow that's a big wall'o'quotes.

Anyways, I figured we should probably save the quotes that brought about this discussion in the first place. ;)

Edited by Xaearth

Anyways, I figured we should probably save the quotes that brought about this discussion in the first place. ;)

Certainly relevant. Thanks for compiling those, with the relevant post he was replying to for context.

Yes, and thank you for posting them it'll be nice to have them here for reference.

... they lost my game sub with 1.2 going Live as is...

Not mine yet, but I'm not pleased with the notes and lack of "underlying changes". I do not see my CM being as fun to play as before, if the spec is as boring as Gunnery I'll either play an alt or leave.

Edited by Kunari

Here's my contribution, in my own typical style...

Welcome to GeorgZoeller's quote corner!

Most of these quotes either allude to changes, or quantify the ones that have been discovered (or are in the patch notes)... yet hardly qualify as "underlying changes" that would cast the healer nerfs in any better light.

Note that I fully expect the links to break once the PTS forum is "archived", but the titles should give an idea of the context, and I will include quotes to which GZ is replying when available/necessary.

Healer Testing and the Search for "Underlying Changes":

(Yes, he replied to this thread's original posting on the PTS forum without answering or addressing the topic at all.)

Bounty Hunter Nerf pretty big.:

Sage Seer Tree Changes Initial Thoughts:

1.2 Sorc Nerfs:

HM Lost Island - overtuned? Your thoughts:

Medpacks... are you kidding me?!?!!?!? :

1.2 - New Rakata Itemization :

Why bother quoting the liar? You cannot believe what he says, only what he does. He of course knows best, and players need to sit down and take their medicine. This attitude has work so well for every other MMO that has adopted it in the past after all.

Still looking for those underlying changes.... oh wait he did let it slip... ...lying...

Why bother quoting the liar? You cannot believe what he says, only what he does. He of course knows best, and players need to sit down and take their medicine. This attitude has work so well for every other MMO that has adopted it in the past after all.

Still looking for those underlying changes.... oh wait he did let it slip... ...lying...

Because, if someone doesn't, they all disappear into the netherworld of PTS forum archives.

When it comes to deciding whether or not someone is a liar, some people prefer to have conclusive evidence to back it up.

Not to mention having copies of the original quotes functions as a bit of a safeguard against someone down the line saying we misunderstood something.

Edited by Xaearth

Because, if someone doesn't, they all disappear into the netherworld of PTS forum archives.

When it comes to deciding whether or not someone is a liar, some people prefer to have conclusive evidence to back it up.

Fair enough. It is a pity that Bioware has someone so deaf to the community he "serves". Guess he only works for the hardcore player base, and is more than willing to sink the game.

In my opinion, this is not what makes a good employee. Also Bioware not having contact information for the game management to express dissatisfaction to is the reason why this person can get away with misleading the player base with immunity.

Too bad you don't have the dates the underlying changes post was the 18th, and the healing needed a nerf was the 23rd as I recall..... Didn't the game launch on the 20th meaning resubs are on the 20th/21st........ Can't be, no he is totally ethical.

subbed.

as a general complaint, BW:Austin has shown an incredible lack of regard for the collective and cumulative experience of gamers that have been playing these games longer than the devs have been making them.

What follows is not a "WOW is better comment," but I want to point out that Blizzard took a page from the extensive creativity and desire to improve game found within the gaming communities that spawned back in the days of Quake and Half Life, and as such, were able to tap into the nearly infinite potential of community members to improve upon, and thereby strengthen both the game, and the community. Blizzard in turn was able to GROSSELY capitalize upon that collective community base.

In general, however, MMO developers (BW:Austin in particular) have been regressively pulling away from the communities that support them. Gone are the days of community populated support programs, gone are the days of community moderation, and gone are the days of direct community involvement.

SWTOR has shown that developers like BW are attempting to turn massively MULTIPLAYER online games into closed single player systems with online interaction akin to first person shooters: you play a game, then you go online for some pvp fun. SWTOR is a single player game with warzones and dungeons.

This is not what MMOs are supposed to be about.

I eagerly look forward to following this thread and all the other threads of its kind for as long as they exist on the forums.

I have saved this post in a word document in case it gets deleted. I recommend from now on that we all do this.

Edited by nakoda

Interesting...

Might have found a nugget of treasure in another dev's quotes. I snipped some out for this reply, but the entire quotes are posted in spoiler tags under my 2nd post.

I decided to edit them into that 2nd post (right below my first quote post) for a couple reasons, namely to distinguish between comments made by the Principal Lead Combat Designer (GZ) and any other developer.

I believe there are a couple of culprits contributing to the subpar DPS being reported in this thread.

<Target dummies don't dodge = false readings of dps argument snipped>

Additionally, we've adjusted some of our assumptions regarding how weapon damage interacts with enemy chances to dodge and deflect. In an as-of-yet-undetermined patch after 1.2, you'll see a small but noticeable damage increase to a few key attacks for Snipers and Gunslingers.

<Metrics say we all good snipped>

I should have separated my thoughts more clearly. Maybe I can clear up some of the confusion.

<Mo dummies, mo snipped>

For those testing their DPS in the new Ops, the simple response is that our tests show higher numbers. We aren't seeing a shortage in Sniper/Gunslinger DPS. To the contrary, we're seeing them hit our targets.

Lastly, in doing these tests, we exposed an issue in how we value weapon damage and defense, the result of which would increase weapon damage globally by a very small amount. When we change our assumptions, we want to apply the result to the live game to keep the many, many varieties of character builds all playing "with the same rules," with an eye on not upsetting balance too much. To put this into words relevant to this thread, Snipers and Gunslingers will see a small increase to weapon damage in a patch some undetermined time after 1.2, which in additional tests, caused them to hit and sometimes exceed our targets by a margin we're perfectly comfortable with.

This tells me at least some underlying changes are coming in 1.2.x, though this is specifically in reference to DPS...

Unless other members of the dev team are starting to tow the company line. :rolleyes:

But this begs the question, of course, why the hell would they make and introduce class balance changes based around game mechanics changes that don't even have a determined release version, much less date? :eek:

Yeah, not sure what to make of those statements.

I actually found this section of the post you linked quite interesting:

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Snipers and Gunslingers are a difficult class to play. As "pure DPS" classes (like the Marauder and Sentinel), Snipers and Gunslingers require a good deal of skill to wield properly, and finding and executing a proper rotation is key to ideal resource management and damage output.

I think this reflects the DPS-centric view of the Devs. I think most players consider pure-DPS to be the simplest role, yet the Devs consider it the most difficult. Obviously there is the additional difficulty when soloing of "kill-or-be-killed" in any fight, but with tank and healer pets that doesn't apply in this game as much as in others. In raids, I think "finding and executing a proper rotation" is just about the easiest task, so much so that many tanks and healers choose their role specifically to do something more interesting than perfectly execute a rotation.

In fact, I suppose if the Devs consider perfectly executing a rotation to be the epitome of difficulty and skill, that explains the way they have changed the healers to be simpler and more rotation focused.

These quotes are preserved in their entirety.

Good thing, because most, if not all, of those threads have been erased from the PTS forum.

Edit : well that was the case a few hours ago, now some seem to be back... Go figure...

Edited by Shoogli