Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Medpacks... are you kidding me?!?!!?!?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Medpacks... are you kidding me?!?!!?!?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nitrosnwbrdr
03.22.2012 , 10:38 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Blotter View Post
And let me just point out:

Every crafter other than Biochem is getting a big "buff" in terms of making their crafting more viable and useful, etc., in an effort to start up an economy.

In contrast, with THIS change, BW IS NOW NERFING THE HELL OUT OF DEMAND FOR BIOCHEM PRODUCTS. Nerfed hard.

As I've said before: the trifecta of 1.2 unsubbing...sorc healer who took biochem and ended up on a low pop server.
Wait, so you are saying Biochems are currently mass producing med packs and selling them at blazing rates? I've never ONCE bought a Biochem med pack... The only things I get from Biochem are Stims and Adrenals... But Med Packs? I just use the junky ones I get while doing my dailies. They're enough of a heal to get me out of an "oh crap moment."

Pangscar
03.22.2012 , 10:38 AM | #32
It should have been this way from the start. It encourages better play, especially in raids. You should have to rely more on your own skill and those around you more than falling back on being able to heal yourself over few minutes.
My chains are broken.The Force shall free me.

Precision Sith Raiding guild

Opticflare
03.22.2012 , 10:39 AM | #33
another reason to quit this game and not look back when D3 comes out

GeorgZoeller
03.22.2012 , 10:39 AM | #34 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Foxcolt View Post
I can understand the change for PVE fine...no issues there...

But ooc mechanics in PVP are broken..I've played entire hutball matches without dying and without ever leaving combat... a 6-10min game where I can only use my PVP medpack once?
You exit combat in PvP 8 seconds after the last hostile action. DOTs do not refresh this status.

You're playing very unusual games of Huttball if you never drop out of combat. Especially given that the ball resets to the center after someone scores, moving the action quickly.

Miaxi
03.22.2012 , 10:39 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Lugosi View Post
Agreed. I play sorc healer and usually run EV with another sorc. We AoE every few platforms and is not issue at all. I'm curious how this will effect the other healers that don't have the AoE's we have, legitimately asking here, haven't ran it with anything but two sorc healers. Do people usually medpac the way down if the AoE isn't available?
Well, mercenaries, sorcerers, and operatives have their class heals. They ought to be helping with the healing. It's not like they use their resources for anything else during that phase.

I like this change, although my raid char has biochem. If we can pop a heal every 90 seconds, we will do it. So what are the developers to do? They could increase the damage to compensate, but then the players would see themselves forced to min-max their characters. Or they could remove a problematic game mechanic right now.

It's like designing a boss around dispelling priority but allowing addons to automate the process.

Cbrinegar
03.22.2012 , 10:39 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaodon View Post
And you are constantly entering an exiting combat in PvP.

Also, in PvP, your group does not put you in combat if they are in combat. This is obvious, because you can, for example, meditate or stealth during Warzones while fighting is going on elsewhere.

The restriction is "per fight", not "per warzone", or "per flashpoint." PER FIGHT.

There is an icon which appears above your action bar. Its a yellow eye when enemies are near, and its a red "gun" in a circle when you are in combat. When that red gun disappears, you are no longer in combat. The medpack lockout it tied to that red gun (to being in combat). If you are "in combat" and you use a medpack, and you remain "in combat" for 91 seconds, your medpack will be locked out, unable to be used again. However, the SECOND you exit combat, the lockout is removed.

This affects Boss Fights in PvE, not PvP at all.
i simply made this response based on the previous posters comment about 90 sec pvp fight, admittingly you raise a valid point, its not per wz, its per combat engagement ...it will only affect pve which my powertech did every world mission and all his class quest, purely pve until 50, and i dont recall ever needing to use more then one medpak per encounter. now as far as bosses, i think this is a good change, as it will focus on healers more and making those encounters more strategic. But will just have to try it out and see.
Eriad - 50 Hybrid Pyro Power Tech

VarnieTsk
03.22.2012 , 10:40 AM | #37
I didn't see this in the patch notes. Will go back and look.

It seems to me that this is just another thing to add to my list when I tell BW why I'm cancelling my account.

I play primarily solo. A change like this hurts the solo player immensely. And if they change it for pre-50 for pve people leveling, what happens after they raise the level cap and add more content? Same dilema for casuals and pve people.

They want to keep making this game harder and harder for the pvpers and the hard cores, fine. I won't be here to see it.

ps: edited for clarity and in view of Georg Zoeller's post

Nitrosnwbrdr
03.22.2012 , 10:40 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Opticflare View Post
another reason to quit this game and not look back when D3 comes out
Unless you are in the beta... you are in for a surprise...

Quote: Originally Posted by VarnieTsk View Post
I didn't see this in the patch notes. Will go back and look. Is this yet another "stealth" change they threw in and "forgot" to mention in the notes?

Well, either way, it seems to me that this is just another thing to add to my list when I tell BW why I'm cancelling my account.

I play primarily solo. A change like this hurts the solo player immensely. They want to keep making this game harder and harder for the pvpers and the hard cores, fine. I won't be here to see it.
Funny, I hardly ever needed a Med Pack leveling my Sentinel and I've never done Solo content that the fight lasted long enough to use two Med Packs...

Lostpenguins
03.22.2012 , 10:40 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by bigheadbrandon View Post
i'm an op healer and run with a sorc healer, he aoe heals on the downtime on the platform parts, while i pop my HoTs on people as we platform. It works perfectly...
I do understand the problem with this though. On Soa we have an ops healer and a bh healer and they struggle to get everyone up to full health between platform jumps. While 2 sorcs can do it while snoozing.

That's not a problem with medpacs... that's a problem with Bioware still not understanding that Sorcs Healers for PvE are still the best because of their AoE.

Opticflare
03.22.2012 , 10:41 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
@OP: This is a good change. I'm a Biochem and I still think it's a good change. The longer the fight is, the more times you can use Medpacs and fights shouldn't be balanced around how many times you can use a medpack.

WoW does this now as Illidan fights were like 20 minutes so it go stupid for people to have to use 5+ healing pots every attempt as their trying to make progress.

Sure, having infinite Rakata Medpacs are great, but it sucks for non Biochem toons who have to either buy or have someone else make them pots.
this is like me saying Cyber techs should only use a reuseable Granade once per combat.