Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Medpacks... are you kidding me?!?!!?!?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Medpacks... are you kidding me?!?!!?!?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zaodon
03.22.2012 , 10:25 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Cbrinegar View Post
actually i have been in plenty of wz's that lasted over 90secs without one death, in all 3 wz's in fact, yes it was a good team of good healers, but i still used my reusable medpak, the wz med pak and kolto regen, even my 32 sorc alt doesnt always die on every encounter in every game, and i have needed a med pak heal that was 1-2 mins from refresh... it does happen i assure you.
And you are constantly entering an exiting combat in PvP.

Also, in PvP, your group does not put you in combat if they are in combat. This is obvious, because you can, for example, meditate or stealth during Warzones while fighting is going on elsewhere.

The restriction is "per fight", not "per warzone", or "per flashpoint." PER FIGHT.

There is an icon which appears above your action bar. Its a yellow eye when enemies are near, and its a red "gun" in a circle when you are in combat. When that red gun disappears, you are no longer in combat. The medpack lockout it tied to that red gun (to being in combat). If you are "in combat" and you use a medpack, and you remain "in combat" for 91 seconds, your medpack will be locked out, unable to be used again. However, the SECOND you exit combat, the lockout is removed.

This affects Boss Fights in PvE, not PvP at all.

veyl
03.22.2012 , 10:26 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by bigheadbrandon View Post
how can they design challenging fights around players being able to just pop medpacks every 90 seconds

deal with it bub
Because every boss fight has a "Pop your medpac during this" mechanic every 90 seconds, right?

Guarantee the majority of the players in this game use medpacks when they're low and haven't seen a heal from the healer. Oh**** moments happen, being a proactive player and helping shouldn't be removed because of "elitist" guilds that abuse the 90s on specific fights.

grandmthethird
03.22.2012 , 10:28 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Blotter View Post
I'm pretty sure alot of this nonsense BW is trying to pull in 1.2 is a giant case of "be careful what you wish for."
aye the only reason the grass is greener on the other side is because of the chemicals, now we are being moved to the other field where we are all going to die, because of chemical poisoning. and we have no healers, and they're taking our med packs. still the hardcore emos will be happy, they can say things like:

"this is a proper game now, i wiped 5 times last night, and i was only trying to do a class quest"

ok thats a bit extreme, and i don't really think it will be as hard as that. and i'm sure we will adjust, but i do agree this nerf assault is due to rubbish feedback for the last 3 months
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Blotter
03.22.2012 , 10:30 AM | #24
And let me just point out:

Every crafter other than Biochem is getting a big "buff" in terms of making their crafting more viable and useful, etc., in an effort to start up an economy.

In contrast, with THIS change, BW IS NOW NERFING THE HELL OUT OF DEMAND FOR BIOCHEM PRODUCTS. Nerfed hard.

As I've said before: the trifecta of 1.2 unsubbing...sorc healer who took biochem and ended up on a low pop server.
Captain Bubblevendor Targetdummy reporting for doody.

Foxcolt
03.22.2012 , 10:31 AM | #25
I can understand the change for PVE fine...no issues there...

But ooc mechanics in PVP are broken..I've played entire hutball matches without dying and without ever leaving combat... a 6-10min game where I can only use my PVP medpack once?

I've literally run away at sub 100 health to try and find a corner and have had to wait 20+ seconds before leaving combat, without having an enemy near me.. It's literally faster for me to just go ahead and die and respawn rather than try to get out of combat to use my regen ability.

Again..fine in PVE whatever...

A complete game changer in PVP.

If I go ahead and pug without a healer I don't want to face a situation where it's faster for me to suicide and get back into the game then for me to try and get out of combat so I can reuse my medpack.

That isn't fun and I can only assume is contradictory to what the game designers intend to happen in PVP.
Foxs
Shadows Fall is recruiting!

Lugosi
03.22.2012 , 10:32 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by bigheadbrandon View Post
oh no now we have to rely on healers!!
Agreed. I play sorc healer and usually run EV with another sorc. We AoE every few platforms and is not issue at all. I'm curious how this will effect the other healers that don't have the AoE's we have, legitimately asking here, haven't ran it with anything but two sorc healers. Do people usually medpac the way down if the AoE isn't available?
Bargain not with the darkness, in time it will take us all.
Arms of the Abyss
Ilith - Akhroma - Molybdenum

Bazzoong
03.22.2012 , 10:32 AM | #27
PvP wise this will drastically reduce the value of medpacks, the in-combat out-of-combat mechanics do not work correctly anyway, often you stay in combat while there is nobody around for minutes, often you will stay in combat as a stealth class even when using cloak screen/force screen etc. (yes even if you remove all effects prior this happens a lot).
The cd reduction will not help since you will not reliably be able to leave combat.
All in all this promotes mindless damage and aoe spam over usage of utility and resources, guess people that where to greedy to buy wz medpacks qq`d hard enough, or some precious 31 talent point tank shadow could not kill a hybrid operative due to medpacks.

In PvE this will make medpacks next to useless since you will be in combat for the whole fight anyway, so it comes down to 1 medpack per person per encounter.

Obviously consumables mess up the balance they are to much of "wild card" since clever usage and timing and cred/comm investment pays off to much. The general direction seems to be to streamline the game towards average numbers and reduce the impact of player timing and decisions.

Well, let`s hope they do not take the same stance on class stories.

bigheadbrandon
03.22.2012 , 10:35 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lugosi View Post
Agreed. I play sorc healer and usually run EV with another sorc. We AoE every few platforms and is not issue at all. I'm curious how this will effect the other healers that don't have the AoE's we have, legitimately asking here, haven't ran it with anything but two sorc healers. Do people usually medpac the way down if the AoE isn't available?
i'm an op healer and run with a sorc healer, he aoe heals on the downtime on the platform parts, while i pop my HoTs on people as we platform. It works perfectly...

GeorgZoeller
03.22.2012 , 10:36 AM | #29 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Making the medpacs variable more controllable for endgame content is a necessary precondition for the creation of tighter, more closely balanced fights.

We don't want medpacs to be as important as class abilities, and we feel they should not become part of rotations. On longer boss fights, this is a trend we've seen happening, and we've counteracted this. Obviously, where needed, boss mechanics would be adjusted to account for this, but we don't really anticipate much impact for that on existing content.

New content (such as Operation: Explosive Conflict and Flashpoint: The Lost Island) is significantly tighter balanced already, with this limitation in mind.

A positive side effect is that the cost of running endgame content is somewhat reduced by this change.

We are still in discussions to restore pre-level 50 medpacs to their previous condition to avoid negatively affecting the PvE game during the leveling process for people that heavily rely on medpacs.

Lostpenguins
03.22.2012 , 10:38 AM | #30
@OP: This is a good change. I'm a Biochem and I still think it's a good change. The longer the fight is, the more times you can use Medpacs and fights shouldn't be balanced around how many times you can use a medpack.

WoW does this now as Illidan fights were like 20 minutes so it go stupid for people to have to use 5+ healing pots every attempt as their trying to make progress.

Sure, having infinite Rakata Medpacs are great, but it sucks for non Biochem toons who have to either buy or have someone else make them pots.