Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healer Testing and the Search for "Underlying Changes"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Healer Testing and the Search for "Underlying Changes"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JLapp
03.23.2012 , 02:19 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by otakuon View Post
Out of curiosity, isn't the reason most of these changes are being implemented is to make the game more challenging? It would seem that ever since launch the "majority" of players have been screaming that the game is WAY too easy. Given that assumption, shouldn't it be much harder now for a top-end guild with BiS gear to clear a NM Ops unless they change their method of approach?
Sure...but it will also provide a significant barrier to people just starting in operations. My sage is a fairly new 50 and geared in daily mods with a tionese weapon (Two EV runs and 6 HM flashpoints have yet to yield a columi drop for me). Ran KP last night and I'm probably 90% sure we wouldn't have been able to heal through it with these new changes (other healer was a maybe 1/2 columi geared scoundrel).

It still doesn't change that hard is a slight increase in difficult while the intended gear change (should be going from basically daily gear to columi gear during normal mod ops) is quite signficant.

And that Nightmare mode is still only a slight increase in difficulty from hard (not sure the how much harder Karaggas is, but when I did Nightmare EV I didn't really notice a different between that and Hard mode).

IMO Normal was tuned well; hard probably a little easy for EV and probably good for Karaggas (overall, some tweaking between bosses would make sense); and Nightmare need to be quite a bit harder.

But there are no real changes between modes...just an overall hack to everything. They also basically left tanks and DPS unchanged so the difficulty will probably no rest with one of the three roles.

RuQu
03.23.2012 , 02:21 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
The only numbers I'm interested in is HPS in different scenarios for different healers. If commandos get a nerf, sages get a nerf and scoundrels get a buff all that tells me is that I need to re-assess their strengths and weaknesses relative to other classes and other choices in the game.

Healers are going to always exist and content will always be beatable by any healing class - what matters is how they stack up against each other and less about how your individual rotation was affected.

I think that those are numbers I'd really like to see, we're all leaping to conclusions about how bad everything is otherwise.
I sent Lileth an email this morning with plans for some tests of what you are looking for for him, Saerith, and Scuffy to test out. It will take time to get the data back from all 3, though.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

JLapp
03.23.2012 , 02:23 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
2) With some exceptions (Grav Round nerf), these changes overwhelmingly simplify gameplay. There are fewer meaningful choices, and less of a gap due to skill.
As far as PVE goes, the grav round change won't impact how a commando plays. It's still FA on curtain procs, HIB & Demo on cooldown, grav round in between and HS to maintain ammo. It's just shifts the damage around between those a little.

dcgregorya
03.23.2012 , 02:28 PM | #84
I sent Lileth an email this morning with plans for some tests of what you are looking for for him, Saerith, and Scuffy to test out. It will take time to get the data back from all 3, though.
You guys are awesome. Thanks.

napeh
03.23.2012 , 02:29 PM | #85
To bad we can't compare HPS pre 1.2 to after.
No wonder they didn't want to include a log.

My guilds been farming both NMM, and on at least 4 of the fights I know I will not be able to heal with any increase to heat (not hard fights just way to much raid damage). Losing the kolto buff is bad enough.

Disclaimer: I cant test it in 1.2 so that is an educated guess.
Stud

onfireguy
03.23.2012 , 05:26 PM | #86
Our lack of understanding only exists because of their lack of communication.
And the desire to understand, among other things, in spite of BioWare Austin devs' deliberate aloofness is what they take advantage of to get PTS players to do the work that internal (QA) teams should be doing.

That being said, "amazing" is the only word I can use to describe the time and dedication you and others are putting forth. Amazing.

TempestasSilva
03.23.2012 , 05:39 PM | #87
Looks like more changes are coming before 1.2 is final:

Quote:
Based on the feedback brought to us so far from testers playing on PTS along with metrics and combat logs gathered from our guild testers, we are going to make additional adjustments before Game Update 1.2 is promoted to the live servers. For example, we reopened the internal debate about having an in-combat resurrect ability for Mercenaries/Commandos based on PTS feedback regarding the new Operations, in light of the higher utility value this ability brings to the table in 1.2. We're listening to your feedback, too, and rebalancing some of the changes made to healing based on data gathered from PTS. Look out for a future update to PTS for more details.
Devs: Please make healing more interesting and fun by increasing options and meaningful decisions. Let a good healer be judged by the decisions they make, not who pressed the buttons in a certain order. Or which class has the most output.

GeorgZoeller
03.23.2012 , 05:43 PM | #88 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by otakuon View Post
Out of curiosity, isn't the reason most of these changes are being implemented is to make the game more challenging? It would seem that ever since launch the "majority" of players have been screaming that the game is WAY too easy. Given that assumption, shouldn't it be much harder now for a top-end guild with BiS gear to clear a NM Ops unless they change their method of approach?
The reason for some of the changes is in fact to increase the challenge level of top end content by tightening class balance. Healing through top end content was, as a fact, not tightly balanced enough in the past and a prime contributor to the fact that our top end difficulty content was just not providing the challenge level people expected.

This encapsulates both the medpac change (without being able to make safe assumption about the availability of optional healing, it is impossible to strike a reliable balance that doesn't require people to shell out hundreds of thousands of credits for item based healing) as well as the class changes.

The other major reason is class to class and role to role balance.

RuQu
03.23.2012 , 05:44 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
Looks like more changes are coming before 1.2 is final:
Tempest, can you please provide a link?
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

Pirateyoshi
03.23.2012 , 05:51 PM | #90
It is from the Developer Q&A for this week.