Sage, Scoundrel, Vanguard and Legendary Items on PTS!

CommunityTeam

• Dev Post

Hello everyone!

Welcome to our sixth phase of PTS featuring the Sage, Vanguard, and Scoundrel Combat Styles. In case you missed it, we go through a bit of the philosophy behind the updates we’re making to Combat Styles in this article.

As with the previous Combat Styles that have been released through PTS, we are still focused on streamlining ability sets in order to enable more player choice and maintain the unique identity of the class. All the constructive feedback we have been receiving from players who dove into PTS has been helpful in identifying what experiences are crucial to players.

Alongside the Sage, Vanguard, Scoundrel Combat Styles available for testing, please note the following that will also be available/have been updated for this phase of PTS:

• Legendary Items are available for testing. Please read here for details on what these are and how they are used. Note: Vendors will be available for Legendary Items, Conquest Gear and Upgrades, Flashpoint and Operations Upgrades.
  • The leveling path in which abilities are granted has been updated for a smoother experience.
  • Shared Tagging is available for testing. Please read here for details on what this entails.
  • Old Operations have been balanced

Special note: A preview of the new Character Sheet/Inventory window has been updated, however it is not ready to be fully tested at this time.

• The Character Window (“C” key by default) has had a visual upgrade. Note that temporarily, pressing “C” will pop both the old and new window up to allow workarounds for any known issues below.
  • The Character sheet now includes an inventory panel.
    • Note: the “I” key will still bring up a standalone inventory window if you wish to use it.

[*]The Character window now includes a Fullscreen toggle in the upper-right for those who’d prefer a larger window.

[*]The “Ability” window and “Discipline” windows are now found in the “Combat Styles” tab of the Character window.

[*]The “Ship” equipment screen is now its own separate window, found in the “Explore” dropdown of the main menu bar.

[*]Known issues regarding the character window are listed here.

PLEASE READ: Below are details on how to obtain and upgrade gear in this phase of PTS. We will be going further into detail about how Itemization works in 7.0 early next week.

In this PTS, you can obtain starting gear at the 318 Gear Vendor on the Fleet. Once you have this gear completing Conquest, Flashpoints, Operations, Heroic Mission, and Daily Mission will provide players with gear or materials for upgrading gear.

When completing Flashpoints and Operations, bosses will have a chance to drop a piece of their gear set or upgrade materials. Gear that drops will be an equal item rating to gear you already have, or at the minimum item rating which is currently 320 for all content.

Weekly Missions for Flashpoints and Operations reward the player with a crate containing a guaranteed upgrade. This crate will scan your equipped gear and give you an upgrade for the slot with the lowest item rating, up to the item rating cap for that content.

Gear is upgraded using vendors in the Spoils of War section on the fleet. These vendors will only offer upgrades for items you currently have equipped or in your inventory, so if you see “NO ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE” make sure that:

• You’re speaking with the correct vendor.
  • You have base gear that can be upgraded. Conquest base gear is purchased from the vendor, Flashpoints and Operations base gear are earned within Flashpoints or Operations.
  • Note: Vendors will check your inventory and equipment for upgrade costs, no need to take the gear off! If you use an equipped piece of gear to pay for an upgrade, that upgrade will automatically be equipped.

Things to know:

The primary source of gear and gear upgrades will come from completing Weekly Missions instead of defeating bosses.

• Look for these Missions on the Priority Missions Terminal on the Fleet

Gear progression has been divided into content types to provide progression no matter your preferred difficulty. The following gear sets are available:

Decurion Set

• Purchased from Vendor with Medal of Commendations
  • Upgraded with Medal of Commendations

Noble Decurion Set

• Obtained from Veteran Flashpoints
  • Upgraded with Decurion Isotope Stabilizers

Elite Decurion Set

• Obtained from Master Flashpoints
  • Upgraded with Decurion Isotope Stabilizers

Tionese Set

• Obtained from Story Operations
  • Upgraded with Hazardous Matter Catalyst

Columi Set

• Obtained from Veteran Operations

Rakata Set

• Obtained from Master Operations

Important Materials:

Medal of Commendation:

• Medals of Commendation are earned through most in-game activities but primarily come from Conquest completion. Medals of Commendation are used to purchase Decurion Gear and are a requirement for upgrading gear.

Aquatic Resource Matrix

• Aquatic Resource Matrices are earned primarily by completing Daily Area and Heroic Missions but can be earned in smaller amounts in various activities. Matrices are required for gear upgrades.

Decurion Isotope Stabilizer

• Decurion Isotope Stabilizers can be earned by defeating bosses in Flashpoints and completing Weekly Flashpoint missions. More stabilizers are given for clearing on higher difficulties.

Hazardous Matter Catalyst

• Hazardous Matter Catalysts can be earned by completing weekly Operations missions and by defeating Operations bosses. More catalysts are given for clearing on higher difficulties.

As always, please read over the status update/known issues list as it has been updated, before hopping into PTS,.

How to access the PTS server

First, ensure you are on the PTS server by following the steps here.

Though character copy is available for all the currently available Combat Styles, note that all PTS characters have been deleted in order to ensure 7.0 compatibility.

Steps for players not using character copy:

• Create a new Sage, Scoundrel, or Vanguard.
  • Follow the same paths as in previous PTS phases to find the PTS Fleet Transport Droid
  • Speak to the droid, and select yes to travel to the Fleet.
  • Head up to the main Fleet level
  • Go to the Combat section
  • Talk to the CD-3 Combat Specializer Droid
  • Press K to select your Discipline and go through selecting your abilities/passives from the Ability Tree. (Please note the WIP markers)
  • Talk to all of the vendors to gear your character
  • Talk to the Onderon Dreams: Travel Agent Droid to travel to Onderon
  • Head to the Onderon Mission Board (-725, -291). Special Note: Speeder Piloting Level 3 is granted through this terminal.
  • Because you may not have a ship, there a droid next to the Onderon Mission Board that will teleport you back to the Fleet

If you are using character copy, head straight to the fleet, select your Discipline and gear accordingly.

Please let us know if you experience any issues.

Your feedback on the new Combat Styles and game scaling will help us determine if we are on the correct path to achieving our goals of making the class feel less encumbered and customization more concise.

• Please note that all feedback threads that have been created up until now have been compiled into one post for convenience. The entire list (including the newly available Combat Styles) can be found here.

• Game scaling feedback can be left here.

• Legendary Items feedback can be left here.

Edited by JackieKo

Locking top tier gear behind Vet and Master Operations?

What happened to "pLaY YoUr oWn WaY"?

Gear progression has been divided into content types to provide progression no matter your preferred difficulty. The following gear sets are available:

If I'm understand this correctly then its pretty much play your way, you want to do pvp to upgrade gear? Ok, here is a pathway you can follow, you want to do master mode flashpoints? Ok here is a path towards great gear you can follow. On one hand this means that if I want to upgrade my gear I can just do PvP instead of having to do PvE, on the other it means I lock myself onto a single progression path, its good and bad. Good because it allows me to upgrade my gear regardless of what I do, bad because if I want to do something else say an SM operation with my friends I won't I'd be working towards a different progression path. If my understand is correct that is.

If I'm understand this correctly then its pretty much play your way, you want to do pvp to upgrade gear? Ok, here is a pathway you can follow, you want to do master mode flashpoints? Ok here is a path towards great gear you can follow. On one hand this means that if I want to upgrade my gear I can just do PvP instead of having to do PvE, on the other it means I lock myself onto a single progression path, its good and bad. Good because it allows me to upgrade my gear regardless of what I do, bad because if I want to do something else say an SM operation with my friends I won't I'd be working towards a different progression path. If my understand is correct that is.

If you want to play PVE, but you don't play ops, this progression path either locks you out from the ops level gear or it forces you to play ops, even though you may not want to play Ops. Its like saying, you don't get to wear 306 gear if you don't play Ops.

If you want to play PVE, but you don't play ops, this progression path either locks you out from the ops level gear or it forces you to play ops, even though you may not want to play Ops. Its like saying, you don't get to wear 306 gear if you don't play Ops.

It seems to me they're all the same Irating-wise, what changes is the way to upgrade them.

Not much problem with that though it is going to drive the people who are a bit more lazy with gearing crazy as they dont get gear like most of us had to gear up during swtor of old. The item rating grind was not a good gearing system in the slightest, did not actually keep players engaged in the game either. If you remember a couple months ago about the interview there was a discussion that gearing will be coming in waves kinda like it did in the past so we are probably going to get various tiers of gear throughout LotS. The problem with it would be how lazy has the player base gotten since Onslaught launched.

So there is nothing that drops from PVP?

For half a decade now there has been no proper way to gear up through PVP. Is this really going to continue again?

PVP is dropping in like feb or march go back and watch the annoucement of LotS. PVP probably will not be adressed until then

So if gear can only be upgraded by certain ways now (adding yet more different currencies despite saying ages ago you wanted fewer different currencies??) what happens to tech fragments? Are those not going to be used for anything anymore?

This crate will scan your equipped gear and give you an upgrade for the slot with the lowest item rating, up to the item rating cap for that content.

Does this mean gear i-rating is going to be locked, so you can only ever reach xlevel item rating if you don't do OPs? Kinda sucks if that's the case as with tech fragments you could eventually reach the max i-rating whether you farmed Heroics or OPs just maybe at a slower rate. I'm not sure why you're reinventing the gearing wheel yet again.

Locking top tier gear behind Vet and Master Operations?

What happened to "pLaY YoUr oWn WaY"?

Yes extremely disappointed in that.

I figured I'd play LoS for months upgrading the gear for my 34 characters, I guess it will be much faster than I thought instead, as I don't enjoy grouping. Maybe I'll start playing FFIV...

Also - I assume at this point that everything will be bound to character and not bound to legacy?

Edited by Pricia

I know some players miss the old progression system of gearing, but this seems like a downgrade to the last couple of gearing, where you could keep progressing by doing any content you wanted to.

Unless I'm missing something, then it looks like once you move on to MM fp, then doing Vet fp will no longer help you upgrade your gear. Same with OPs. Once you start one type of content, you will be actually hindering your progess if you take time to do a 'lower tier' of content.

Is this supposed to be attractive? From the looks of it you will be punishing the more skilled players if they want to take a break from the HM content or take time to help newer or less skilled players do some of the Vet/MM fp content.

It also punished solo players who want to do things like MM chapters. Now they will be locked out of the highest tiers of gear.

The gear information in the main post appears to be incorrect.

Medals of Commendation - I think you mean Gear Fragments, which you get from doing conquest.

Noble Decurion drops from story and veteran mode flashpoints. Elite decurion drops from Veteran mode last boss as well as Master.

Also there's no difference between sets yet, it seems very arse about ***?

Oh, and implants are dropping from those sets, but that's superfluous as people will just be using the legendary implants

Edited by EHKodiak

Since this is about gearing....can we have confirmation about the Tech Fragments? Are they being removed? Because on the PTS the Spoils of War vendor is still up and you get TFs from doing content. So are TFs staying with 7.0 or no?

Also hopefully a dev sees this again, but PLEASE add the GSI droid to the Elom FP. Yeah I know alot of us can breeze through them with the storyline companion, but some other players (like my mom) cant. And since you removed the option to let me help her in co-op, the GSI droid helped her ALOT, but she did NOT like the last few FPs, because the companions were SO low leveled, and not her lv50s she could have.

So please please PLEASE add the GSI droid back to the storyline FPs please. (or better yet, let other players in them like all the pre 4.0 ones did in SM, NOT just VM. since you cant progress the storyline in VM.)

I was thinking about something else too.

I play solo but I do GSF and PvP for Galactic Seasons. You are pretty much forcing people to do activities that they don't like to complete GS, and on top of it those activities will not give them anything useful to improve their gear.

How totally.... messed up is that?

There is NOTHING WRONG with gearing in 6.0. It's fantastic for every type of players because you can do whatever you want but still improve your gear.

My opinion? This is a HORRIBLE idea and you need to scratch it and keep the current gearing system (I don't mind the bonuses being on implants) or make it so that every set needs the same items to be upgraded, and you can get those items from doing any type of activity - needing different items to improve every set is just an awful idea.

Edited by Pricia

I see a lot of misinformed people in this thread - mainly because the original post was so vague and people actually did not go to test on PTS for details.

How I assume the system to work, after 1 day of testing:

- you can buy green 320 items with gear frags. They can be upgraded to 338 with gear frags and materials from planetary heroics but they stay green. I assume this is a bug since...

- MM FPs drop blue minimum 320 (but according to the post should be on the same level as your item rating) gear which can be upgraded to 326 gear frags, planetary heroics materials and flashpoint materials

- operations drop green tionese / blue columi / purple (?) Rakata gear, also minimum 320. That is upgraded using all materials mentioned above + operation materials (sm drops 1, hm drops 5 per boss per person). I do not know how high each respective ops loot can be upgraded to but i assume tionese 332, columi 336 and rakata 340.

It is noteworthy that some blue items have higher stat pool as same green item when both have the same item rating.

So to people who are worried that running lower level content becomes obsolete, worry not! They will make is run everything: conquest for gear frags, flashpoints for aquatic materials and ops for their base items and materials. But it is true that if you want the highest gear possible, you need to do operations (as things are on PTS) but then again, if you are not interested in operations, why would you want high item rating to begin with? There's nothing in the game that requires it besides operations.

PvP aside entirely in this post, they have their own gearing system.

• Dev Post

Hi all,

Wanted to call attention to additional known issues that we will be adding to the status update/known issues list.

• PvP gear loop is not available with this build but will be there in a future build.
  • Phase scaling for Operations and Flashpoints are not working properly.
  • Elite Decurion right-side gear is not upgrading properly on the vendor. Workaround is having the Columi gear in order for the vendor to show the upgrades.

Jackie

The primary source of gear and gear upgrades will come from completing Weekly Missions instead of defeating bosses.

Decurion Set

Noble Decurion Set

Elite Decurion Set

Tionese Set

Columi Set

Rakata Set

Wondering if this is code. Is the game ending as it began?

2012 gearing

https://imgur.com/gMGD35h

After reading of the current planned 7.0 changes I got the sickening feeling that all the changes are not to better the game or appeal to what players have been asking for, but as a test bed to try out new dev concepts for future non-swtor projects.

There is NOTHING WRONG with gearing in 6.0. It's fantastic for every type of players because you can do whatever you want but still improve your gear.

This isn't the case for everyone, at this point I have zero things to work for and I haven't for quite some time. I've had 306 gear the first day I logged into 6.0 and have had very little horizontal gearing to do. Since I raid in both HM and NiM content I'm extremely happy to see there's now more reasons for me to raid besides clears and money/augments.

Everything in the quoted part is demonstrably false. Childish bragging.

Maybe? But I know a few people that were 306 in less then 24-36 hours because they just spammed Hammer Station HM for the entire time. So it isnt completely out of the question.

Hi all,

Wanted to call attention to additional known issues that we will be adding to the status update/known issues list.

• PvP gear loop is not available with this build but will be there in a future build.
  • Phase scaling for Operations and Flashpoints are not working properly.
  • Elite Decurion right-side gear is not upgrading properly on the vendor. Workaround is having the Columi gear in order for the vendor to show the upgrades.

Jackie

Does that mean older OPs/Fps are supposed to lv80 or lower levels? I am confused. :confused: