Level Sync; Your reactions?

T_Zero

I've been with SWTOR for years, and I have to say that the dev team does a good job, and are very attentive. So when I say that the new level sync system just doesn't make sense and, for me, makes the game less playable and fun, I do not do so simply to gripe.

I'm a subscriber, and regularly spend money on cartel items. I do this not just to customize my characters, but to give them an edge. I enjoy soloing heroics, as well as flashpoints (though those aren't affected, it should be noted) and generally keep my characters leveled up for the planet after the one I'm playing. Now, none of that matters. I will only have as much skill and power as the planet dictates, regardless of level or armor, or even weapon, and now instead of comfortably running through missions, I have to slodge through at the "right" level.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this bothers me greatly. I was wondering what others think of the system.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a great idea to implement the level sync because there are many great stories in this game and with the help of the level sync you can enjoy them now without feeling like you are wasting your time without gaining anything.

The other thing is that you can enjoy the content on early planets with friends even if you are high level, that being said i hope they improve the rewards for the players which do those missions with high level characters.

All in all i love the new changes in this expansion (i haven't done the main story yet).

I like it. I love hutta and if I can go back and do some missions with my main, thats great.

I have been here since pre launch and I always want a reason to travel to old planets.

I am still overpowered for the content but I dont one shot anymore, which is great.

I am a big fan of a more lateral leveling process. Old flashpoints are no longer history and I can visit old planets.

So many of the early flashpoints were so much more fun than some of the new stuff and I cant wait to que them all again

Edited by kirorx

I started out the expansion by running a henchman bounty on Dromund Kaas with a level 60 character (to check that its spawns would come in at sync level, not real level). Kar'wa seemed to get burned down a LOT quicker as a synced 18 fighting a level 18 spawn that she ever did with the way things were before level sync (at any level (and geared for their level) and with any character role + companion role combination I ever used).

edit: Of course, it makes sense. I was a level 60 with health and damage artificially clamped to simulate level 18-like stats and I was fighting an enemy scaled for true level 18 characters. Of course it's going to be different from a level 60 character vs a level 60 spawn.

Also, I just remembered that she almost always stealthed out a couple times during a fight before and that's part of what made it take a little time because you get these moments of zero-progress delaying the rest of the fight. This time, she died before she could stealth out even once. I'm not sure if I saw her adds spawn in at any point either.

This effectively provides a bit of a difficulty slider for the bounty missions. I mean, any specific henchman on Hutta's level won't be the same fight as that same henchman spawned at Voss's level. You want easy bounties? Take them on at the lowest level possible. You want them to use all of their abilities and put up as much of a fight as possible? Take them on at the highest level possible. You want it somewhere in the middle? Pick a planet somewhere in between the two extremes.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

First place I went to with my level 65 toon was Alderaan which capped me at level 34. I had no issues sweeping everything out of the way. The only difference is I can get experience and credits for doing this now which is helping my legacy level and padding out the available credits on my new capped toon.

It's not an issue for me and I'm liking it so far. So very much not an issue for me.

I've been with SWTOR for years, and I have to say that the dev team does a good job, and are very attentive. So when I say that the new level sync system just doesn't make sense and, for me, makes the game less playable and fun, I do not do so simply to gripe.

I'm a subscriber, and regularly spend money on cartel items. I do this not just to customize my characters, but to give them an edge. I enjoy soloing heroics, as well as flashpoints (though those aren't affected, it should be noted) and generally keep my characters leveled up for the planet after the one I'm playing. Now, none of that matters. I will only have as much skill and power as the planet dictates, regardless of level or armor, or even weapon, and now instead of comfortably running through missions, I have to slodge through at the "right" level.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this bothers me greatly. I was wondering what others think of the system.

I have nothing good to say about it.

It does nothing to make the game better, more interesting, or more engaging for me, and has done nothing to improve any content or make it more "relevant".

I was totally against it before, thinking it was gonna make everything to hard and force people to group. But i have to say i can solo all the Heroic 2s with ease. And we get exp, credits and loot for our level while soloing them. I have been converted to liking it now. As long as i am not forced to group on the Heroics im fine with the change. Leave grouping to HM Flashpoints and Ops raids, besides, those things have a group finder, while heroics dont.

Im having fun doing the Heroic2s solo, a nice addition to the weeklys and dailys.

It does nothing to make the game better, more interesting, or more engaging for me, and has done nothing to improve any content or make it more "relevant".

This made me laugh. Not trying to be rude, but a quick look at your posting history shows that you have nothing good to say about anything in this game. Lighten up mate, have fun! :)

To the OP's question: I love it. I was one of the people in support of it before 4.0 dropped, but honestly I like it more than I thought I would. I enjoy having somewhat of a challenge on any planet that I go to. Earlier today I was in a massive group of people hunting down world bosses on different planets (for one of the KOTFE alliance quests). Our group traveled from planet to planet, mowed down every mob that aggro'ed or got in our way, and actually had a challenge taking down lower level WB's. This was my first time having this type of experience in this game--where a big random group of us traveled across the galaxy wreaking havoc--and it happened because of the level sync system. Whereas before I could go with one or two other people, bypass all the mobs, and quickly down the WB without a second thought. I'm really enjoying it so far!

You are just being a downer. I had a ball taking my level 65 and fighting those vicious core slugs again.

Actually I have tried it a few times and love just sitting there while mobs beat on me, do no damage, and then fall over dead from exhaustion. It has brought a new dimension to combat that I never suspected existed.

Good one BW.

I may have already commented, but I think it needs two adjustments.....

1) Agro range

Agro range should be reduced starting at two levels above and almost maxed out at 5. With the essential loss of greys in the game 5 levels above should be close to the former grey agro range IMO.

2) Damage

Damage should be increased for both MOBS AND PLAYERS for every level above 1 level over target by 5 percent over current levels. So, 2 levels is 5, 3 is 10, 4 is 15 and 5 is 20 percent. Mobs should hit MUCH harder if they are that many levels above you, and you should hit harder in kind IMO.

I believe those two adjustments would greatly increase the appeal of the system overall.

If they make those two changes I would stand behind both the forced leveling and the mob drop nerf 100 percent.

Edited by LordArtemis

No where near as end of the world as people are saying.

On level before no way I could kill the Hoth Datacron Ancient probe droid with my DPS characters. Now, not an issue.

I doubt the people who have tried it really are having any problems with it. Mob agro isn't really any worse than before either. You'd get agro'd by grays before almost as often as on level mobs now.

I don't mind it. With the way they've streamlined leveling, it's very easy to over level, and level syncing prevents that, which I like. I also like being able to go back and poke around planets I haven't ever really done all the quests on before. It's also a major improvement for Flashpoints, since now group finder is drawing from a pool of everyone, rather than just a small fraction. On the other hand, as some people have pointed out, situations like the Warrior returning to his starter plant for a major boss fight and having it be at level twelve is a real bummer. So I think there are some kinks to work out.

All the melodrama about how it was going to ruin the game because for some reason everyone apparently spends all their time going back to low level planets ended up being a waste of breath, but over all I'd say that level sync is currently no better or worse than not level sync was last week. With some tweaking though I think this will be a big improvement.

It also isn't the disaster that it people were screaming about while claiming that it would ruin their lives because - oh dear - they might get knocked off their speeders or couldn't kill things quickly enough because they would be soooooooooooooo underpowered (not). I was level synced while doing a quest and experienced no negative effects; I pretty much sliced through everything like a hot knife through butter (and considering that I'm Watchman spec, that's actually an appropriate metaphor).

The level sync generally benefits lower-level friends you might want to help, and it's clear to me from actual personal experience at this point that it doesn't really hurt you - not even in former heroic areas, which seem to have been tuned accordingly. For example, I got knocked off by a bunch of gold/silver mobs while in that camp with the heroic quest on Ilum but wiped them all out quite easily.

So far, I've been to Yavin 4, Alderaan, and Ilum, and I haven't had any noticeable problems. As if crushing low-level mobs on a low-level planet was ever a challenge before the update. Since this really appears to hurt no one and actually benefits low-level people you might want to help, I'm not really having an issue with how it's been implemented after having played through all nine chapters. I still crush things and do it so quickly that I honestly haven't noticed an actual difference between my pre-4.0 crushing of low-level mobs and my post-4.0 crushing of low-level mobs.

As for you saying that the level sync doesn't make the game better, more interesting, or more engaging for you, here's a newsflash: It's a part of the game mechanics, and game mechanics like this one generally aren't the most exciting things in the world. You want to be engaged and interested? Then go play the new story content and/or the at-level content.

After reading a number of your posts, I tend to believe that you just like complaining for the sake of complaining, even when it's not justifiable - vis-a-vis level sync not actually turning out to be the end of the world. As for other issues that are actually up for debate because they're way more subjective issues, if you don't like the story content or whatever else, then I guess it's probably time for you to quit the game.

Though I can agree that it would be nice if they made level sync optional for people who are still peeved AFTER having experienced the change for whatever reason, it ultimately seems to have turned out to not be that big of a deal.

Really it doesn't even matter..... Our main characters are just companions now and our companions are the main characters when it comes to combat. They are so overpowered that if they didn't get knocked down on world bosses they could solo them.

I am a sub as well and took a short break after Hutt Cartel. Prior to that I was playing since beta and pre-ordered. I feel like this level synch is a punishment...let me explain why. First, once I hit 65 I no longer get experience. Therefor reducing my level so that I can gain experience on lower level planets is an idiotic rational. All it does is make traveling more annoying because I'm getting jumped by trash that I'm trying to get past to hit the weekly heroics from the Alliance base...I now have to work harder to get through the trash to reach my true objective to build faction with the Alliance. Which brings me to my second point, it has made dailies more time consuming. Remember, now I have to fight through stuff that previously I had no problems dodging attacks and losing agro from. Thirdly, I never see my true stats....EVER! Even the weekly heroics for the Alliance take place on lower level planets, so I never see my true potential....until they release the next chapters and (hopefully) it takes place on an appropriately leveled world. That being said, I feel they need to make this an optional thing so that you could synch to assist lowbies when you have downtime or are just chilling doing crafting. Let us veterans unleash like we should be able to!!! I can deal with all the other changes from the expansion, but this level synch is likely to cause me to cancel my subscription...something I am seriously considering, and it's a shame because I do really enjoy the Star Wars universe/storyline. I was also an avid player of the KOTOR series, so this is logically the next chapter in that line for me.

This made me laugh. Not trying to be rude, but a quick look at your posting history shows that you have nothing good to say about anything in this game. Lighten up mate, have fun! :)

A lot of the things I would have had good things to say about... were things that I never thought would need discussing or pointing out as good or working in the game... until 4.0 came along.

My only question is this (I don't have an opinion yet, but...)

What happens when you are on the quest for 50+ characters that take you to low level planets (like Hoth, Tatooine, Voss) that have these pockets of 55th level gold star mobs that you must interact with for your quest, but you've been reduced to the planet's level?