7.1 Game Update Livestream Follow Up

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you now that the VOD of today's livestream and a recap article will be going up tomorrow. As per usual, the VOD will be uploaded to our YouTube channel and the article will be going up in the News section of the site.

I also wanted to address the comments I saw about the stream itself. It was not pre-recorded, and was indeed being hosted in a stream room! As it was the first in-person stream that's been done in quite a few years, there were a lot of things to work out from a technical standpoint. The space at this current time can only accommodate two lapel mics, and a few monitors for production and broadcast resources. For this stream, we were unable to read chat, but now that we have this stream under our belts, we can make the next stream better.

Appreciate everyone who came by.

Jackie

EDIT: The VOD is now available, and the recap article has been posted here.

Edited by JackieKo

Thanks for clarifying. I do hope that this means the team will be more open to communication with the players, however. There are still a lot of concerns, questions and criticisms that the playerbase has that have largely gone without being acknowledged by the team, and it's pretty worrying.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you now that the VOD of today's livestream and a recap article will be going up tomorrow. As per usual, the VOD will be uploaded to our YouTube channel and the article will be going up in the News section of the site.

I also wanted to address the comments I saw about the stream itself. It was not pre-recorded, and was indeed being hosted in a stream room! As it was the first in-person stream that's been done in quite a few years, there were a lot of things to work out from a technical standpoint. The space at this current time can only accommodate two lapel mics, and a few monitors for production and broadcast resources. For this stream, we were unable to read chat, but now that we have this stream under our belts, we can make the next stream better.

Jackie

If for whatever technical issues you can't interact with audience and you have many segments that you can't transition properly from one to the other. Why even do it as a live stream? That shows again poor judgement in communication and sever lack of respect for your audience by providing a bad experience that could have been easily avoided.

I don't think that was really the biggest concern we had. We really, REALLY just want to hear a formal apology for the 7.0 launch and abysmally slow content drip, as well as reassurance that it won't happen again. Delays happen, that's not the problem (even if they should be announced way sooner). It's everything since that point, and a lot of the tone deafness on the player base reception since 7.0 came out.

Owning up to the mistakes and growing from them is way better than trying to sweep it under the rug. I could care less if it was pre-recorded. Might as well have been tbh.

Hi everyone,

Jackie

I agree with Nicole here we really wanted a formal apology for 7.0 mismanagement. We got none of that.

Plus everyone did not sound excited, you barely could get your words together, you had to many ums and word verbiage that you did not sound like you knew your product like the back of your hand.

It really was a mess. You come into a live stream where people wanted big things and you underdelivered by a large margin.

I suggest that you find more enthusiasm for the product your putting out. Then be well informed about your content your bringing to the table so you can put words together clearly.

Not very professional at all I'm sorry.

Due to real life, I ended up missing the livestream. Anything good happen? Are we getting a separate tab for gear? Is some actual story coming? Are we getting a pink Vulptilla mount? Should I rage quit?

Due to real life, I ended up missing the livestream. Anything good happen? Are we getting a separate tab for gear? Is some actual story coming? Are we getting a pink Vulptilla mount? Should I rage quit?

No, no, kinda but expect it to be like 10 minutes of story and just the ops really, no, and probably.

A livestream is the perfect chance to communicate with the player base, so it's hard not to feel that an opportunity was missed here. Even if you weren't able to answer all the questions asked, it would have been nice to know that you had at least seen them. Knowing that our voices were not heard at all is pretty disheartening. I saw a lot of people asking the same questions that concern me. I didn't necessarily expect answers, but I had hoped that it would at least draw your attention to the fact that many solo players care deeply about story updates and specific characters. I also have to agree with other posters that it would have been in good taste to address the extreme delays we've experienced during the anniversary.

In the future, I wish you would let us know if you aren't able to interact with us at all during livestreams. One-way communication is pretty frustrating, especially when you don't even know that you're shouting into the void.

"Story update", which is likely just the convo with Malgus,

the daily area with an overarching story,

the operation,

some pretty cool outfitter changes,

some changes to the UI,

and that's largely covering it. Some stuff teased for the future like a new planet (an entire planet, not a daily area), but yeah.

I know you said on the stream that more information on the Nightlife event and other things would be released between now and 7.1 but why weren't those articles ready immediately after the stream? We know patch notes don't come out until the day before but all the other articles should have been ready and posted when the stream was finished.

In the future, I wish you would let us know if you aren't able to interact with us at all during livestreams. One-way communication is pretty frustrating, especially when you don't even know that you're shouting into the void.

^ This.

We get that you were happy to be in the same place together for the first time in a while (or ever for Jackie), but when you don't tell people up front that unlike every single other livestream there will be no interaction with those watching you really should not be surprised that people doubted you were actually live.

The words 'live stream' carry with them certain expectations based on past experience. It came off as scripted at a minimum, and was honestly a waste of time to watch live without any of the interaction we've come to expect. I guess that's the answer as to why you didn't tell us, though - you didn't want the viewer numbers any lower.

Thanks for clarifying. I do hope that this means the team will be more open to communication with the players, however. There are still a lot of concerns, questions and criticisms that the playerbase has that have largely gone without being acknowledged by the team, and it's pretty worrying.

No. It won't change their communication habit. It's not the team's fault. They're never going to give us big content updates ever again. They just can't. It's a broken record around here. It's ok. The game is 11 years old. It's super obvious if it wasn't for the Star Wars IP... the game would have shut down a long time ago.

You come into a live stream where people wanted big things and you underdelivered by a large margin.

Who wanted big things? Have you paid attention to what has happened not only this year, but in the last month? What news can they give us? They don't have content hidden away to surprise on us. They can't revert back to 6.x like a lot of people want.

There really is no reason to stream if its going to be chat talking to a brick wall. It should be interactive, this has happened for the last few streams so really if this is how you want it to be, the content is just better suited to be released and cleaned up and edited to put on YouTube

It's on Twitch so you could watch it yourself anytime, or watch on YT tomorrow. I saw it on twitch a couple hours after it aired. It was the visual equivalent of a gold text, lots of self congratulations and faux-excitement, no self-awareness or hint of understanding the playerbase's frustrations. If you haven't ragequit yet, you won't ragequit now, le mot juste is "underwhelming" or maybe "typical for BW".

For this stream, we were unable to read chat, but now that we have this stream under our belts, we can make the next stream better.

That sounds like a great learning experience that will be very valuable when you have your next stream in 2024! :rak_01: omg the communication here is like the worst it's ever been, which is saying something.

Edited by Ardrossan

For this stream, we were unable to read chat, but now that we have this stream under our belts, we can make the next stream better.

Jackie

Huh. Let's roll the tape....

"Ya all see, I can.. you see.. Nar Shadda Nightlife event is back. I see all the comments, I see all the tweets"

Wha???

Why is it so hard for anyone to speak the truth anymore? This was pre-recorded. Normally, that wouldn't be such a big deal if you all had just said this was pre-recorded but no, you all claimed it was live and it wasn't.

So either you were lying during the stream or your lying now. Can't be both.

Sadly, I can never take what you say from this day forward with any credibility.

Oh and btw, no one was saying anything in the comments about the nightlife event until AFTER you brought it up.

Edited by Banthabreeder

Huh. Let's roll the tape....

"Ya all see, I can.. you see.. Nar Shadda Nightlife event is back. I see all the comments, I see all the tweets"

Wha???

Why is it so hard for anyone to speak the truth anymore? This was pre-recorded. Normally, that wouldn't be such a big deal if you all had just said this was pre-recorded but no, you all claimed it was live and it wasn't.

So either you were lying during the stream or your lying now. Can't be both.

Sadly, I can never take what you say from this day forward with any credibility.

Oh and btw, no one was saying anything in the comments about the nightlife event until AFTER you brought it up.

You clearly thought she was saying something else. Comments happen here on the forums, reddit, facebook, etc... Tweets happen on twitter. She wasn't talking about "live chat" nor did she have a laptop out to follow chat.

I thought it was okay. The Charles Leaving part I think was deserved and you can tell Charles had / has a vested interest in the game. So I liked that part of it.

What I wish they would do in the future though for live streams:

• More Frequent livestreams. Like once a month.
  • The Livestreams do not need to be interactive. Really could care less on that.
  • I would like to hear / see what is coming up. Build some excitement - show us what we can look forward too.
  • Be like some other games and simply preference it with "planned" or "under development". Most people with half a brain understand things happen to delay or kill a project.
  • It's great you have "40 pages of changes". How about in the future 1 page of changes 40 times over the same period.
  • Introverts unite! Had to say it in support of some of the dev team that are obviously introverts.
  • Please address some of the concerns like the snail pace of content drops. Even if it is back end work - SAY IT. I suspect you would have a lot more support if you are simply open.
  • Jackie - I love you, but seriously please stop worrying about optics. You are a community manager and hence a target. Expect people to target you.
  • Have fun people - seriously! You are all together again and would have loved to see the vibes and energy like Eric & Charles had, but understand that it was the first Livestream in several years.
  • Future suggestion is maybe do a Livestream that covers topics in a cadence like Story, PvP, Operations, Flashpoints, Crafting, Cartel Market, & Version stepping (i.e. 7.0->7.1 for instance). If done weekly that would be a 7 week cycling and add a week or 2 for skipping is a 2 month cycle of Livestreams to address particular items.

My rating is about 8.2/10 but think next time it will be 9.0/10 or higher.

Again - my biggest issue wasn't whether or not it was taped or in front of a live studio audience. I simply just don't care. Rather I cared more about what is coming out and would liked to have heard why the snails pace of content. I could care less even about an apology. It just feels "slow" and would love to see something on how more content is coming.

Blak

Edited by Blakinik

Hi everyone,

Jackie

I have played swtor on several accounts since beta, swtor is a fantastic video game, based on the star wars story we all love and fight over. I just want to take a quick break from my usual trolling, and thank Charles for his contribution!!!, you have had a global audience! you should be proud!

Charles... whatever you do next.. Good luck bro! I and many others, have had hours of enjoyment in our lives, because of something you have created. Thank you :)

Jackie..... nice to see a face that matches your forum warrior status :)

thank you to Ashley and Caitlin for your courage, for putting yourselves out there.

Did the stream answer all my questions? no it did not... do i appreciate the time and effort you put in ? definitely.

We are all humans. lets move forward and enjoy swtor together :rak_01:

Edited by Clonelimit

I agree with Nicole here we really wanted a formal apology for 7.0 mismanagement. We got none of that.

Plus everyone did not sound excited, you barely could get your words together, you had to many ums and word verbiage that you did not sound like you knew your product like the back of your hand.

It really was a mess. You come into a live stream where people wanted big things and you underdelivered by a large margin.

I suggest that you find more enthusiasm for the product your putting out. Then be well informed about your content your bringing to the table so you can put words together clearly.

Not very professional at all I'm sorry.

Overly harsh. The delivery was friendly and professional.

If they'd come on there like they'd had a sugur rush you'd have complained that they were hyping up the upcoming content once again only to disappoint.

The only two problems with the livestream that I could see were 1) That Keith was not there to acknowledge/apologise/explain the slow roll out of content to date this year and 2) Jackie should have mentioned at the outset that they were not set up to interat with chat - she has since clarified why and stated next time will be normal service resumed.

Lets hope that they progress better for the 2nd part of the year. The stream was welcome.

I have played swtor on several accounts since beta, swtor is a fantastic video game, based on the star wars story we all love and fight over. I just want to take a quick break from my usual trolling, and thank Charles for his contribution!!!, you have had a global audience! you should be proud!

Charles... whatever you do next.. Good luck bro! I and many others, have had hours of enjoyment in our lives, because of something you have created. Thank you :)

Jackie..... nice to see a face that matches your forum warrior status :)

thank you to Ashley and Caitlin for your courage, for putting yourselves out there.

Did the stream answer all my questions? no it did not... do i appreciate the time and effort you put in ? definitely.

We are all humans. lets move forward and enjoy swtor together :rak_01:

Well said, I second the sentiments here.

No, no, kinda but expect it to be like 10 minutes of story and just the ops really, no, and probably.

Thanks for this update. I may rage quit over no pink Vulptilla! :D

"Story update", which is likely just the convo with Malgus,

the daily area with an overarching story,

the operation,

some pretty cool outfitter changes,

some changes to the UI,

and that's largely covering it. Some stuff teased for the future like a new planet (an entire planet, not a daily area), but yeah.

Thank you too :) A trip to Malgus in his prison for a chat? I hope that conversation answers the pressing questions of: where does he even go to the toilet in that mad prison? How's he getting his dinner? These questions have plagued me for months. I feel sorry for Malgus. He's just misunderstood. I bet his plan was awesome and he allowed himself to be captured.

It's on Twitch so you could watch it yourself anytime, or watch on YT tomorrow. I saw it on twitch a couple hours after it aired. It was the visual equivalent of a gold text, lots of self congratulations and faux-excitement, no self-awareness or hint of understanding the playerbase's frustrations. If you haven't ragequit yet, you won't ragequit now, le mot juste is "underwhelming" or maybe "typical for BW".

I completely forgot that it would still be on Twitch (D'oh)! Self-congratulations and faux-excitement? Again? They've learned nothing. Even the white-knighters on Twitter have been venting their fury lately. How can they be so unaware that people are annoyed/disappointed/fed-up? Do they just blank all criticism, even though it's based on player experience?

Edited by Sarova

Overly harsh. The delivery was friendly and professional.

If they'd come on there like they'd had a sugur rush you'd have complained that they were hyping up the upcoming content once again only to disappoint.

The only two problems with the livestream that I could see were 1) That Keith was not there to acknowledge/apologise/explain the slow roll out of content to date this year and 2) Jackie should have mentioned at the outset that they were not set up to interat with chat - she has since clarified why and stated next time will be normal service resumed.

Lets hope that they progress better for the 2nd part of the year. The stream was welcome.

It's not too harsh. Looking at it from a buisness standpoint, you want everything you do to be done well. Plus this is something easy to do. They didn't have code to write, people to manage, etc.

We don't need over enthusiastic responses with fake smiles, no, but fluent delivery of their product with the appropriate levels of enthusiasm make for a goood delivery. Knowledge of their product and a stream outline thats been prepared and practiced beforehand makes for a smooth conversation.

One of the biggest fails was not acknowledging their shortcomings.

Apologizing for what they've done shows they acknowledge and will work to make sure not to repeat the same mistakes.

No apology means they will repeat their mistakes continually.

I'm not quite certain what some folks were expecting.

** More doom and gloom ... Sad faces .. weeping .. wailing and gashing of teeth?? : I suppose .. [/shrugs]

** Trying to make the best of things?? Trying to be positive in spite of all that's gone wrong. Yes, there is a lot to lament over. Failing to understand clearly what brought us to this point would be an even bigger mistake. Yet .. IMO there is no real need to continue to beat the dead horse or to kick someone who is already down.

** The new team .. Yeah I get it. It's the same people who have simply been moved into newer positions. Hopefully they don't feel the same sort of necessity for retribution that a lot of folks seem to carry with them indefinitely. Heck .. there are people who today are still bitter over KotFE/ET (and keep dragging it up from time to time).

WOW !

So, for those who now have new titles: with those titles come new responsibilities. I personally get it. That does not mean we are not expecting some more positive results in game. It DOES mean that I understand where you are at. I HAVE been there before.

** Charles: I'm quite certain that he will be missed. He obviously had a good working knowledge of the SW universe / timelines .. that sort of thing. He performed as expected. Best of luck to him in the future.

** Real people. With the afore mentioned new responsibilities comes the reality that these folks are real people just like the rest of us. We don't know what's going on inside and behind the scenes. None of us do. We should act accordingly. Again, this does not diminish the necessity for quality work. expectations of content, and a game that functions as smoothly as possible. IT DOES mean that we are all too human and all too often can make some HUGE mistakes.

In light of forgiveness, I sincerely hope that the future can be seen in light of learning from the mistakes and have an appreciation for a better future together. None of us should take the other for granted (player or team member).

** My own personal follow up. Thanks for the livestream. There's a lot of work to be done ahead: killing off bugs, developing more content, revitalizing areas that have become dormant or neglected, planning for the future. Could there have been a more extensive discussion on the future of SWTOR or what has transpired? Probably. But that does not take away from the genuine effort that was made. IMO some people will complain regardless. Others can appreciate what we got. The bottom line is what takes place a month, 3 months, 6 months from now when the next chapter(s) of SWTOR has been released.