Loadouts and Character Creation on PTS!

JackieKo

Hello everyone!

What do we want players to focus on?

• The level 1 player experience with the content currently available is the main focus of this phase of testing.
  • We would like your thoughts and feedback on leveling experience from a level 1 character
  • With the new UI now available, we would like to understand how you feel about the flow of the Character Sheet and Loadouts.
  • How do the Combat Styles feel at lower levels?
  • The Combat Styles feedback threads have been updated with more questions.

The UI was really pretty! Love the new font, and it flowed nice, but there are a few things I didn't like...

1. The new hairstyles have gaps and parts that are way too wide and in funky places. :(

2. Since when does any female on the planet want facial hair, do you know what kind of bullying that causes IRL! :mad::mad: Where are the new makeup looks?

3. The eye color choices don't show up properly thought I chose bright blue, got bright green.

4. All the faces could use a massive texture update.:D

I started a sith warrior with a vengeance juggernaut combat style and have leveled up to level 22 so far and am in the middle of questing through Balmorra.

TLDR: Feels good! Almost indistinguishable from early leveling in 6.0 for the most part. Early game progress down the ability tree feels too slow, and the distillation of raw stats into Damage/Survivability/Support numbers really bothers me. Otherwise, I like the changes.

By and large, leveling a new character feels almost identical to how it did in 6.0. This being said, I have two main thoughts at this point. Both are relatively minor, and I think easily fixable.

- The first thing that stood out to me is that you don't start down the ability tree for a pretty long time after you select your spec, at least for vengeance. Even though I've been gaining abilities as I level, I'm no further down the vengeance ability tree than when I chose it. If I were a new player, I don't think I would have a great sense of what the identity of vengeance is even though I've put a few hours into playing it. To be fair, I'm still pretty low level, and I don't think this will continue to be an issue after I can see visible progress through the ability tree.

- The second thing is that I have absolutely no clue what the "Damage/Survivability/Support" numbers mean when I open up my character sheet. I understand that we want to make things simple for new and more casual players, but these numbers are largely meaningless as far as I can tell. It doesn't tell you what numbers contribute to each stat, even if you go into the "Details" menu to see your raw gear stats. There is no context for what these numbers should be, when they will be factors in gameplay, what I should be focusing on given my combat style/spec. The thing that bothers me about this is that it attempts to distill the raw stats from your gear into easily understandable numbers, but these numbers don't actually answer any questions or make gearing/stats easier to understand. I don't really think these numbers add anything that item rating doesn't already accomplish.

- Additional aside, I'm loving the new interfaces.

I will continue to edit if anything else comes to mind. Great job so far y'all!

• Dev Post
Hello everyone!

The Public Test Server is now open. This time around, you will be able to experience Loadouts and Character Creation alongside any updates we have made since the last phase of PTS had closed.

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up that PTS will be coming down today so we can prepare for a new phase to be launched tomorrow. As a side note, characters will not be wiped. Should any of this change, I'll let you know!

Jackie

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up that PTS will be coming down today so we can prepare for a new phase to be launched tomorrow. As a side note, characters will not be wiped. Should any of this change, I'll let you know!

Jackie

Please tell me Loadouts will be able to remember our keymapping on our abilities.

This entire function is worthless to me if it doesn't.... which as you know, doesn't currently work.

Hi everyone,

As a side note, characters will not be wiped. Should any of this change, I'll let you know!

Jackie

I hope not. About to start class chapter three on the way to unlocking secondary spec and loadouts. I really don't want to have to do all that again with no perks!

Finally got to try loadouts. Verdict? Oh dear :( What I thought they'd do:

- Save your chosen spec in a particular loadout

- save your gear for that spec

- save your abilities in the position you placed them on the ability bar

- save your ability tree selections for each spec

- save your interface as created for that spec (my healing one is very different to my damage one)

Loadouts did NONE of the above points with my initial (first/main) spec. and it's not clear what was needed to sort this out To get your primary choice of spec to save your abilities where you want them, you have to find the option to allow you to do this. Player shouldn't have to be getting frustrated and mad button clicking / interface clicking to find what they need. I found it by accident - if anyone else is stuck there's a little square double box thing on the loadout that you click. This allows you to save your current ability layout and gear (it really isn't obvious and your choices are not automatically saved like some people were saying in general chat. You need to do this every time you change something). Please add a drop down menu or obvious icon for this option please.

Saving the spec to the loadout (loadout 2) did work on my secondary Sage healer Seer spec minus the interface change. Failing to save the interface to the loadout is a serious oversight as my healer's interface is very different to my damage one.

Sorting out loadouts is where the new character pane/interface get's annoying. The one thing I need to see while that is open and I'm trying to sort out my abilities is the "Large Tooltip" - the character UI is so large it blocks this out. Please allow us to resize the character UI while it's open OR let us have an option to hide the inventory while the character pane is open so we can see the Large Tool Tip (as the inventory doesn't need to be open constantly while we sort loadouts but needs to be accessible quickly).

One final note: why so many loadout options? I'll probably need 3 per character at most.

Finally got to try loadouts. Verdict? Oh dear :( What I thought they'd do:

- Save your chosen spec in a particular loadout

- save your gear for that spec

- save your abilities in the position you placed them on the ability bar

- save your ability tree selections for each spec

- save your interface as created for that spec (my healing one is very different to my damage one)

Loadouts did NONE of the above points with my initial (first/main) spec. and it's not clear what was needed to sort this out To get your primary choice of spec to save your abilities where you want them, you have to find the option to allow you to do this. Player shouldn't have to be getting frustrated and mad button clicking / interface clicking to find what they need. I found it by accident - if anyone else is stuck there's a little square double box thing on the loadout that you click. This allows you to save your current ability layout and gear (it really isn't obvious and your choices are not automatically saved like some people were saying in general chat. You need to do this every time you change something). Please add a drop down menu or obvious icon for this option please.

Saving the spec to the loadout (loadout 2) did work on my secondary Sage healer Seer spec minus the interface change. Failing to save the interface to the loadout is a serious oversight as my healer's interface is very different to my damage one.

Sorting out loadouts is where the new character pane/interface get's annoying. The one thing I need to see while that is open and I'm trying to sort out my abilities is the "Large Tooltip" - the character UI is so large it blocks this out. Please allow us to resize the character UI while it's open OR let us have an option to hide the inventory while the character pane is open so we can see the Large Tool Tip (as the inventory doesn't need to be open constantly while we sort loadouts but needs to be accessible quickly).

One final note: why so many loadout options? I'll probably need 3 per character at most.

Sarova, you nailed it! The loadouts are a complete waste of time until they get those key elements, as well as a key bind, addressed!

Found something else - if you go to a stronghold and try to change your loadout whilst you're there, it does not work. On returning to the fleet, all the work you did to sort out your primary loadout IS LOST!! You have to reorganise everything.

In addition, armour sets ARE NOT fixed to the load out. They are saved in the loadout but DO NOT change when you switch to another load out. Correction - they're not saved.

What is this? Frustrating, that's what :( Thank goodness they chose not to release it on the 14th December. It would have been rage-quits all round. Was a simple dual spec really that hard?

Yes another edit - we'll need to carry all armour sets in our inventory or nothing will be equipped. PLEASE CAN WE HAVE AN ARMOUR ONLY ADDITIONAL INVENTORY TAB, like the one we have for crafting materials.

Also, relics aren't switching in the loadout - the bottom right one is the one affected. YOu have to manually switch this one if you want to change it.

Edited by Sarova

The new character UI needs an up/down slider on the Legacy Titles selector. At the moment we just have a drop down menu. This drop down does not currently contain all my titles (I have loads). Example: the "Spicy" title isn't in the menu, however it still shows on the characters I copied across.

I'll stop posting in here now :o (for the moment)

Is it possible so the active loadout doesn't reflect what's going on with the character instead of being a saved 'snapshot' until updated? I overwrote and had to move a bunch of quickbar icons around when I switched combat styles the first time.

Hello everyone!

The Public Test Server is now open. This time around, you will be able to experience Loadouts and Character Creation alongside any updates we have made since the last phase of PTS had closed.

Important things to know for this phase of PTS:

• All characters are being wiped
  • Character copy is not available
  • All Combat Styles are now available. Feedback threads have been created for Commando, Shadow, and Gunslinger
  • As a reminder, your second Combat Style will not unlock until completing Chapter 3 of the story

What do we want players to focus on?

• The level 1 player experience with the content currently available is the main focus of this phase of testing.
  • We would like your thoughts and feedback on leveling experience from a level 1 character
  • With the new UI now available, we would like to understand how you feel about the flow of the Character Sheet and Loadouts.
  • How do the Combat Styles feel at lower levels?
  • The Combat Styles feedback threads have been updated with more questions.

Please note that all feedback threads that have been created up until now have been compiled into one post for convenience. The entire list (including the newly available Combat Styles) can be found here.

Before playing on the PTS, please review all the changes and updates on the Status Updates and Known Issues post.

To get started on the PTS, follow the steps listed here and let us know if you experience any issues.

As for starting a char from level1:

1. Why can't we choose the abilities perks ourselves anymore? I feel like some combat features have disappeared.

2. Why are there still trainers if we do not need them anymore?

3. The outfitter should let us turn the character to view 360 degrees.

4. What are loadouts and what are they for?

I know that after 10 years, most of the players are professionals, but "noobs" like me, who do not have the time to study all the forums, the patience to be insulted by "pros" 😉 and am not paid to play games, I understand you tried to simplify the UI (and it is great, I love it)♥️♥️, but it is now even more destabilizing for real beginners who would think that it is too complicated to play.😥😥

5) I hope we will have real stories and chapters like for TOR and The Eternal Throne. Some players, like myself, are not fan of hitting buttons for the sake of hitting them in order to level up 😁

PS, could you please solve the false dark side Kira's outfit. It is a nightmare to see her clothes colours change in her outfit from the main to her and also from the game to conversations? Thank you!!!

The loadouts don't work at all! I made mine and not only do they not activate properly but when they do nothing is saved! Not the discipline, not the key bindings, not even the weapon! It is annoying to constantly have to re-equip my sabers depending on whether I'm a Shadow or a Guardian! :mad: Now, I'm starting to get cranky. :mad:

I transferred a level 75 Sniper to the PTS and selected Operative as my 2nd Combat Style. Everything worked decent (some known issues, keybinds resetting constantly, etc). However, at some point, I lost the ability to swap from Sniper to Operative.

https://imgur.com/CF6XKD8

When I try to swap to my Concealment Operative loadout, the option is greyed out and there's a strange message saying "Discarded the ways of the 15 and learned the ways of the". I can't manually change either, I'm stuck in Sniper. I can change to the different Sniper disciplines, but can't go back to Operative.

The only thing I can think of is that I swapped from Sniper to Operative inside a phase to stealth past a bunch of mobs. I believe after I swapped back to Sniper I couldn't go back to Operative from that point on.

The new character UI needs an up/down slider on the Legacy Titles selector. At the moment we just have a drop down menu. This drop down does not currently contain all my titles (I have loads). Example: the "Spicy" title isn't in the menu, however it still shows on the characters I copied across.

I'll stop posting in here now :o (for the moment)

I for the life of me can't find anything for titles, displaying legacy name etc. in my character UI.

Either I'm blind or its not there for me.

A change in the force

Click <Launch> to meditate on your style of Combat

You go to Light/Dark (Blue/Red area) standing on floating path

Click launch to meditate on your style of Combat

This time there is no launch button. Can only fall and eventially die.

Lvl 12 Sorc

PS I also really don't like that the 1 hour class buffs (Mark of Power Lucky shots etc) are now passive. I used to always buff folks on the starter planets. Now its not possible.

Edited by LeMage

As others have reported, my Trooper's gun(s) were invisible the first time I clicked on the combat style in the Character Creator, though the weapons appeared when I switched back: e.g. Mercenary (no guns) to Vanguard (no gun) back to Mercenary (guns) to Vanguard (gun).

I agree with others about the lighting—it looks very cool, but it's hard to know how the character will look outside of the Character Creator. Though in fact, my character happened to look great in the Ord Mantell lighting, possibly because I didn't make any especially unusual choices.

I also agree that it would be helpful to be able to zoom farther in and out.

This isn't a big deal, but when I selected Trooper as my origin story and Mercenary as my combat style, the random character that came up on the screen was an Empire-style Zabrak. If I actually chose Zabrak as my species, it correctly showed a Republic-style Zabrak.

I started a sith warrior with a vengeance juggernaut combat style and have leveled up to level 22 so far and am in the middle of questing through Balmorra.

TLDR: Feels good! Almost indistinguishable from early leveling in 6.0 for the most part. Early game progress down the ability tree feels too slow, and the distillation of raw stats into Damage/Survivability/Support numbers really bothers me. Otherwise, I like the changes.

By and large, leveling a new character feels almost identical to how it did in 6.0. This being said, I have two main thoughts at this point. Both are relatively minor, and I think easily fixable.

- The first thing that stood out to me is that you don't start down the ability tree for a pretty long time after you select your spec, at least for vengeance. Even though I've been gaining abilities as I level, I'm no further down the vengeance ability tree than when I chose it. If I were a new player, I don't think I would have a great sense of what the identity of vengeance is even though I've put a few hours into playing it. To be fair, I'm still pretty low level, and I don't think this will continue to be an issue after I can see visible progress through the ability tree.

- The second thing is that I have absolutely no clue what the "Damage/Survivability/Support" numbers mean when I open up my character sheet. I understand that we want to make things simple for new and more casual players, but these numbers are largely meaningless as far as I can tell. It doesn't tell you what numbers contribute to each stat, even if you go into the "Details" menu to see your raw gear stats. There is no context for what these numbers should be, when they will be factors in gameplay, what I should be focusing on given my combat style/spec. The thing that bothers me about this is that it attempts to distill the raw stats from your gear into easily understandable numbers, but these numbers don't actually answer any questions or make gearing/stats easier to understand. I don't really think these numbers add anything that item rating doesn't already accomplish.

- Additional aside, I'm loving the new interfaces.

I will continue to edit if anything else comes to mind. Great job so far y'all!

OK! Just finished my class storyline at level 49 and I have some additional thoughts.

TLDR: The new ability choices are very fun to play with, and it's great how easy it is to switch between them. Certain decisions about when abilities are learned and how certain perks work confuse me, but it didn't affect my playthrough to a significant degree. The difficulty of playing through the class storyline seems perhaps a little more challenging than it is currently, but is still at a good place.

- First and foremost, the ability tree works great for me. I wasn't sure about it when I started and it took a bit too long for my taste to begin seeing progress, but once I started getting to make choices it was great. Being able to switch easily between the different skills was awesome and made me more confident in just playing around with different stuff to see how I liked it. I really liked the perk that makes Force Scream into a cone, very cool!

- The skill tree interface itself worked great, but I don't totally agree with how some the the abilities have been moved around, and how some perks function. Saber Throw is an iconic and very useful ability! Even on my main character I sometimes use Saber Throw simply because it looks so cool. Why is it now unlocked at level 47? I only got to use it in a couple fights before I finished the class story. The passive ability Sundering Throw, which modifies the Saber Throw ability, is unlocked like 15 levels earlier. Seeing Sundering Throw in my abilities page even though I hadn't yet unlocked the ability it modifies was pretty confusing.

I mentioned earlier how I really liked the perk that makes Force Scream into a cone, and while it is SUPER COOL when it works, getting it to work is kind of awkward. From my experience using it, instead of turning Force Scream into a cone that begins at your character model, the cone instead only spreads once it hits your target, and then continues in a cone in the direction your character was facing. This is suuuuuper awkward to space in order to hit multiple enemies effectively, and is not at all intuitive. It's awesome when it works and you hit a whole group of mobs, but it doesn't work at all like my brain thinks it should and it's quite hard to use because of that.

- Lastly, the difficulty of story missions seems just a tad harder, and I think this is for the best. I found myself being a lot more careful about aggroing multiple groups of enemies, and I had to treat elite and champion enemies with much more respect than I would have in the current patch. I found my health bar getting much lower than I'm used to in story content, which I personally enjoy.

This playthrough has only made me more excited to see the final product! So pumped for 7.0!

I strongly dislike the new Character Creation UI:

• No background, having a background appropriate to each faction or class would look much better. There is no way to tell how your character will look in-game with a black background. The hangar bays were appropriate, because each character takes a shuttle or transport down to their starting planet. They were also a decent light source. Different environments per class could also work if done correctly. They would require more time and effort to implement though. should stay as it is live since the game launched.
  • An option to toggle different lighting settings and colors will also help to see how our characters will look in different settings.
  • There is no longer a brief description of each faction when you mouseover their respective emblem.
  • The space background was also better than this blue/red, light/dark literal dichotomy. These could be changed to a faction-oriented montage or a scene from each faction's respective capital world. Otherwise, it should remain as it has been live since the game launched.
  • The class and role icons don't fit with the rest of the game. They look like they belong in Battlefront. I understand about accessibility, but normally for colorblindness, there would just be a filter for changing the problematic colors. This is a very roundabout approach and forces a decline in quality on everyone.
  • The colors of the UI elements don't fit with the rest of the game's blue scheme. This black and white scheme also looks Battlefront influenced.
  • The class description text is bland and uninteresting. It the sections describing them should be changed back to how they were before players had to choose advance classes upon character creation.
  • Class descriptions are very difficult to read when a lightsaber is behind them. They require an outline to avoid this.
  • The faction themes should also play again like they once did during character creation. They were removed years ago for an unexplained reason. These help get players excited for the journey they are about to embark on and help set the mood. It's better than listening to the log-in screen theme, even when it was A Clash of Destiny.
  • The music also used to transition from the log-in screen music to whatever cryptic music played on the Faction Select screen. It was changed years ago. It should be brought back.

This game is not Battlefront. Either the UI designer worked on Battlefront's UI or the designer has forgotten what the design language of the game is. Please reconsider the type of game the proposed UI and icons are supposed to be for. It should match with the color scheme used in the rest of the game. It should match the design language used in the rest of the game. It doesn't do either of these currently.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

I don't know if this is the correct thread or where my feedback would fit, but I just post it here:

The new mission to choose your light or dark side path is pretty cool and enjoyable.

However, since you make your fixed choice for your second... combat style? I honestly still don't know what is what, however, if I play a Jedi, you can choose to become a Sith instead.

While the first choice (light/Jedi or dark/Sith class) is understandable, I want to suggest adding the possibility to get more information about the second... combat style (?), because it is a definite choice that you have to make. For example, what exactly is a Sith Marauder? If I don't know it, there is no help to find out what it is. There is a short explanation, but it doesn't suffice. It would be good if the player could look at the tree skills or something. On live, you can preview the various styles. At least give an indication whether an option is DPS, tank or healer.

(Sorry for being unclear about the terms, your 7.0 terminology completely confuses me.)

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot figure out what load outs are supposed to do. They don't save my gear, abilities, action bars, or my combat skill tree choices.

Every time i swap combat proficiency and then select my loadout i saved i have to redo everything.

Update:

After exploring further it seems that the problem is switching combat proficiency will override the current selected load out. Need to make sure you are selected on a new or empty loadout before switching combat proficiency otherwise it will override your current loadout.

Edited by Kogarvandalin

Update:

After exploring further it seems that the problem is switching combat proficiency will override the current selected load out. Need to make sure you are selected on a new or empty loadout before switching combat proficiency otherwise it will override your current loadout.

Yeah, this is a huge nuisance. I have gone the route of using Loadout 1 as my "building" loadout. I always use it to make a new Loadout and save the new Loadout to an empty slot.