PVP Revolution - Chapter II - Resolve system

varietasplus

I believe resolve system is the poorest part of SWTOR PVP, a system without clear vision. This post is comming from someone to have played melee, ranged and stealther a lot in warzones and arenas. Please don't start flames without proper reasoning, especially if you have experience only with one role.

1. Resolute is a tactical skill and must be saved for the most important momentum. However, currently it is working extremely dumb. First of all, in warzones a filled resolve bar should not decay at all out of combat (it is irritating to see the bar reset in the safe zone just to be stunned to death again).

Second, a decayed resolve bar should reset the cooldown of resolute, because it is absurd that your resolve bar may be filled twice while your cooldown is halfway on resolute.

Third, owing to the long cooldown of resolute, it should fill the resolve bar upon use and provide players immunity against further stuns and movement impairing skills. It is extremely irritating to waste resolute then immediately get stunned or rooted again.

2. The second major design flaw is adding root breakers to the game. If melee needs to root the enemy to be able to do acceptable damage (and even sacrifises utility point for that), then the enemy should not be able to run away unless they sacrifise their resolute (saying they have to sacrifise a utility point as well to do that makes the whole utility system inconsistent and pointless).

At the same time, root and slow applied by ranged classes are currently out of control. It is ridiculous how easy it is to play as ranged with all the roots/slows/knockbacks/stuns/mezzes and root breakers. I had enough of playing non-stealther melee classes because I have to spend most of the times stunned, rooted, slowed or mezzed. While stun and knock-back is managed via resolve bar and gap-closers, root and slow do not affect resolve bar, therefore a melee may be easily chain-rooted.

I don't mind ranged classes having knock back and melee-ranged stun, they need it, I know it, I play those classes. But apart from these, ranged has escape tools that allows them to quickly reposition themselves. Combined with other advantages (arc of targeting, better overview of map) and similiar damage output, these tools should be enough against melee in warzones.

Giving these classes roots, slows and root breakers or even proactive immunity (Hydraulic override/Hold the line) was a terrible idea. At the moment fighting against Powertechs with Hydraulic Override on such a short CD and long duration is infuriating.

3. Third questionable decision is disabling other classes' essential skills, requiring them to sacrifise their resolve skill. A jedi knight either needs force leap or force camoflague or don't, make up your mind. Same goes for sages' force barrier. The cooldown on resolute is already too long and it needs to be used to achieve objectives or survive focusing, it must not be a precondition to have access to other skills. Extremely irritating game mechanism, needs to go.

4. AOE mezz should be either removed from the game or fill the resolve bar instantly. Furthermore, it should not last more than 4 seconds. Would be best to remove it so that noobs/bads don't fill the resolve bar of the enemy hindering achieving objectives.

As it is now, any non-stealther melee class is a great opportunity to express mazochism; at the moment you literally can not play these classes. The difficulty and fun factor gap is so huge between ranged and melee that I decided to stay away from the game until a dramatic change is made to the resolve system (got bored of ranged and stealthers).

Chapter I - Role discrepancy: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=791049

Chapter II - Resolve system: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=793354

Chapter III - Incentive (gearing and bolster): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=791987

Chapter IV - Minor changes: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=793035

Edited by varietasplus

I believe resolve system is the poorest part of SWTOR PVP

Apparently you've never heard of "Bolster"...

But i do agree that Resolve sucks - Resolve has sucked since launch. The only attempt to "fix" it, actually made it even worse, proving that Bioware is incapable of understanding player concerns and too inept to fix it.

Edited by TUXs

Lol, I have, I am the "greatest supporter" of it, check Chapter III :).

Wow...dude...chapters?! We can't even get the simplest of ideas implemented and you're wasting your time on some PvP thesis?! I wish you luck...but I also hope you don't waste too much time or get your hopes shattered when they do what they've done since beta...ignore you.

Chapter V - Mailbox in the combat training section of the fleet