Legacy Wide Datacron Unlocks / Cartel Option

Pretty straight forward. If you unlock a stat boosting datacron on a character, that datacron codex unlocks for all of your characters for X credits through your server wide legacy. For the few that imperial / republic do not share, have them be faction specific. Alternately, you can pay Y cartel coins to unlock it for your legacy. Here's the breakdown.

1) Character A, of the Alpha Legacy unlocks a +2 presence datacron. Character A automatically gains this stat bonus.

2a) Any character on the Alpha Legacy can now pay a legacy wide cost of 10,000 credits to unlock a +2 presence boost on all characters in the Alpha Legacy..

2b) Any character on the Alpha Legacy can now pay a legacy wide cost of 25 cartel coins to unlock a +2 presence boost for all characters in the Alpha Legacy.

2c) Any character on the Alpha Legacy can still retrieve the datacron manually to bypass the cost if they so choose.

3a) Datacrons that are in faction specific instances / planet locations can be separated between imperial and republic. I would suggest that the account unlock for these cost less than the non-faction specific datacrons.

3b) The Matrix Cube and +10 stats datacrons are specifically excluded. These must still be retrieved in person.

If you separate faction specific datacrons, I count 70 different stat boost possibilities. At a cost of 25 coins per unlock, that adds up to 1,750 cartel coins. You earn at least $20 in coin purchases through this benefit.

I would buy this in a heartbeat, as would everyone in my republic and empire guilds. We've discussed it frequently. Whenever we form a group to go datacron hunting we all wish there was some way to pay to unlock datacrons we've already recovered through legacy / cartel market.

Edited by CharlieBrown

I dont agree only for 1 reason. This should be automactic. Datacrons and entries should be legacy wide cos' its dumb to do something that you already know how to do, over and over. I've alçready made a suggestion about it. But i dont think suggestion forum works for real, seems that they are distracting us so we keep quiet with the illusion that we can make the difference.

Anyways check it out -----> Legacy

Because those benefits are irrefutably marginal, a player who doesn't want to get all those datacrons won't miss them either. However, turning them into a Legacy-wide bonus takes AWAY from the gameplay of those who actually DO enjoy aquiring them. The variety of gameplay features and content available becomes LESS because of it.

Yes, it IS exactly the same as doing some operation on each character, or doing that same operation on one character and then have all your characters rewarded for it. To people who don't like operations but do want the gear from them, that would sound like an awesome idea. To someone who likes doing operations and progressing in both gear and content on different characters, that would be a blasphemy.

Don't like Datacron runs? Then don't do em, but don't ask for free rewards on all your characters either. We already get all kinds of free rewards on secondary characters for things we do on our main, and we don't really need any more. It might be nice if there were even more ways to progress your secondary characters through your main character, but NOT at the cost of unique existing content. Think up something NEW to add, instead of taking it away from completely optional game components you personally do not enjoy.

TL;DR

Please NOT.

Because those benefits are irrefutably marginal, a player who doesn't want to get all those datacrons won't miss them either. However, turning them into a Legacy-wide bonus takes AWAY from the gameplay of those who actually DO enjoy aquiring them. The variety of gameplay features and content available becomes LESS because of it.

Yes, it IS exactly the same as doing some operation on each character, or doing that same operation on one character and then have all your characters rewarded for it. To people who don't like operations but do want the gear from them, that would sound like an awesome idea. To someone who likes doing operations and progressing in both gear and content on different characters, that would be a blasphemy.

Don't like Datacron runs? Then don't do em, but don't ask for free rewards on all your characters either. We already get all kinds of free rewards on secondary characters for things we do on our main, and we don't really need any more. It might be nice if there were even more ways to progress your secondary characters through your main character, but NOT at the cost of unique existing content. Think up something NEW to add, instead of taking it away from completely optional game components you personally do not enjoy.

TL;DR

Please NOT.

If people enjoy doing datcron runs then they can simply just not buy this and continue to do them. But for the rest of the players that hate having to spend so much time tracking down and getting the same stat increases over and over and over again is just silly.

It makes sense to have knowledge of these datacrons passed down through your legacy.

If people enjoy doing datcron runs then they can simply just not buy this and continue to do them. But for the rest of the players that hate having to spend so much time tracking down and getting the same stat increases over and over and over again is just silly.

It makes sense to have knowledge of these datacrons passed down through your legacy.

Even between Legacy Rival alts?

Oh, and could we get an unlock from Cartel Market where my Agent gets Operation gear because my Consular won the roll as well? If you like doing operations on multiple character, you can simply not buy that unlock. :rolleyes:

TL;DR

Please NOT.

Getting all Datacrons will yield +40 to all stats (except Expertise), and that's without buffs or talents increasing main stat or endurance. I wouldn't consider it marginal. Anyways, according to your argument, it seems to me that you are also entirely against Legacy Gear and all the perks that come with it as well as purchasing HK-51. The fact that both essentially lessen the experience that was originally brought to the table shows that EA doesn't seem to care that much about preserving unique content. They are at their core a business, anything that lessens the grind and is profitable is a-okay in their books. And while I do respect your opinion on enjoying unique content, like Datacron farming, many players don't. Take for example HK; it is a very unique and awesome quest but at this point people would kill themselves trying to find the hidden parts on ALL of their characters. That's why they included a buyout price after you did it on one character. Same would apply for us once we've acquired the Datacron on a single character.

Oh, and could we get an unlock from Cartel Market where my Agent gets Operation gear because my Consular won the roll as well? If you like doing operations on multiple character, you can simply not buy that unlock. :rolleyes:

Yes, considering it is a LEGACY, thereby all members in it are connected in some way.

Nobody ever mentioned anything about gear. Gear grinds are a key part of MMO's hunting down datacrons is unique but not key.

And did you forget about legacy gear? :rolleyes:

Getting all Datacrons will yield +40 to all stats (except Expertise), and that's without buffs or talents increasing main stat or endurance. I wouldn't consider it marginal.

Someone gladly already made the calculations for me, so here is how marginal exactly it is:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5818825&postcount=141

To clarify, the impact of the +40 datacrons are as follows:

• 420 more health derived from the Endurance Datacrons and the +10 and accounting for the Trooper/Bounty Hunter Class Buff
  • 8.82 Increase to Bonus Damage. Depending on ability used this could mean ~2 more damage or ~20 more damage per attack. This includes the benefit of +40 and the Consular/Inquisitor Class Buff as well as the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior Class Buff.
  • 0.52% increase to crit chance to force/tech attacks and 0.19% increase to crit chance for all other attacks stemming from the boost to primary and secondary stats.
  • Some boost to companion effectiveness which I haven't bothered quantifying yet.

420 health INCLUDING the Trooper/BH classbuff.

Now, the people benefitting most from health are tanks. Your avarage lvl 50 tank in the free Tionese tank gear has about 20,000 health. So we're talking about 2% here.

8.82 increase to bonus damage, or 2-20 more damage PER ATTACK. You don't even attack every second, since we have this nice cooldown timer, so the DPS gain is even less. Overall, the damage increase is less than a percent.

0.52% increase to force/tech crit, 0.19% increase to other crit. Again, that's waaay less than a percent.

With better gear (Columi, Rakata, Dreadguard, (E)WH), the relative benefits only get smaller and smaller.

With the coming release of Makeb, we'll get more increases to our character stats every level, and, without doubt, gain access to even better gear as well, again, making those benefits relatively smaller and smaller.

So yes, the benefits from the datacrons are marginal. If you feel you can't beat some content because you're missing one of the harder datacrons, then I can tell you that it's not the missing datacron causing you to fail, but because you misunderstand the mechanics of the content you try to deal with.

Many datacrons are extremely accessible anyway, being of the "walk up that hill next to the quest-mob and grab it" or "Take the obscured elevator behind the tree in that corner, and grab it" difficulty. So you won't even miss all of those bonusses by skipping the "harder" ones. Just part of them.

So, you're missing maybe half of an already marginal benefit by skipping the trickier and more timeconsuming datacrons.

Edited by AsheraII

Someone gladly already made the calculations for me, so here is how marginal exactly it is:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5818825&postcount=141

420 health INCLUDING the Trooper/BH classbuff.

Now, the people benefitting most from health are tanks. Your avarage lvl 50 tank in the free Tionese tank gear has about 20,000 health. So we're talking about 2% here.

8.82 increase to bonus damage, or 2-20 more damage PER ATTACK. You don't even attack every second, since we have this nice cooldown timer, so the DPS gain is even less. Overall, the damage increase is less than a percent.

0.52% increase to force/tech crit, 0.19% increase to other crit. Again, that's waaay less than a percent.

With better gear (Columi, Rakata, Dreadguard, (E)WH), the relative benefits only get smaller and smaller.

With the coming release of Makeb, we'll get more increases to our character stats every level, and, without doubt, gain access to even better gear as well, again, making those benefits relatively smaller and smaller.

So yes, the benefits from the datacrons are marginal. If you feel you can't beat some content because you're missing one of the harder datacrons, then I can tell you that it's not the missing datacron causing you to fail, but because you misunderstand the mechanics of the content you try to deal with.

Many datacrons are extremely accessible anyway, being of the "walk up that hill next to the quest-mob and grab it" or "Take the obscured elevator behind the tree in that corner, and grab it" difficulty. So you won't even miss all of those bonusses by skipping the "harder" ones. Just part of them.

So, you're missing maybe half of an already marginal benefit by skipping the trickier and more timeconsuming datacrons.

It doesn't matter how "marginal" it seems,stats are still stats. Anyone who plans on min/maxing any gear takes Datacrons into account, it's called min/maxing for a reason. Can I do Operations and PvP without them? Yes, I have been since launch on toons that didnt have them, which I'm sure many others have as well. It's really a backwards insult to say that people who want this think we need the stats to do harder content, most of the people who want this are most likely past HM EC or HM TFB. We want this so we can squeeze as much out of our stats as possible. We wouldn't skip on 3-4 augments, same applies here.

That's already in the game. Through the free* legacy gear I got in the rakghoul event and chevin event I gave my brand new level 50 operative an entire set of optimized campaign gear and two campaign weapons. I also bought her rakata implants purchased with daily commendations and bound augments traded through augmented legacy gear that were previously on my companion (My guild takes companion duels seriously).

It seems you don't want it to cross faction lines for arbitrary reasons and are opposed to the idea entirely based on some imaginary rule set you've created. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. As the signature says, you're also entitled to mine.

I don't want to spend 12 hours looking for all the datacrons again for every one of my characters to preserve some version of reality where we play a game that does not allow you to buy the highest level PVE gear (or if you've banked commendations, PVP gear as well) through alternative means and transferred with legacy gear. If the possibility exists to allow me to invest that time in more fruitful ventures, I'd be remiss not to explore the option.

Because those benefits are irrefutably marginal (sic)

Your assertion that the stat benefit a datacron provides irrefutably marginal is biased away from the game I play and appears to be from a place far removed from the most competitive experiences the game provides, be it ranked warzones or nightmare operations. You're conveniently ignoring LOE regarding moving from one tier to the next at the current state of the game.

Everything in this game is paid for. What varies is the currency (cash, credits, or time). Let's talk about why the time required to hunt datacrons makes it an attractive venue for my hard earned money.

On average when compared to the optimal campaign equivalent, a dread guard armoring adds 4 points of main stat and 4 points of endurance, a dread guard mod adds 3 points of main stat and 3 points of a secondary stat, and a dread guard enhancement adds 3 points of a secondary stat and 3 points of a tertiary stat. Once you realize that the returns on upgrading to dread guard are on the scale of datacron stat boosts, the relative value of a datacron as a parallel source of character progression while working through new content increases. That makes them a very attractive parallel source of improvement.

The resulting +40 stat boost from getting all the datacrons is roughly equivalent to upgrading ~8 individual mods or enhancements from campaign to dread guard (or from war hero to elite war hero for that matter) on each character I create. This increase is not insubstantial.

My argument is simple. I want to convert from one currency (time) to another (cash, coins).

* Time is money. You pay an opportunity cost of in game currency and productivity by spending time hunting datacrons instead of more profitable ventures. The inverse, paying actual to eliminate the time required to collect datacrons, does not yet exist. You end up paying with time regardless, whether it was accumulating the actual cost through more profitable activity or paying with time when you lack the resources.

I can pay 1 million credits to unlock HK-51 if I've already unlocked him on 1 character for my legacy. I can pay 500,000 credits to give my legacy a +100 presence bonus instead of leveling a human to level 50.

I can't pay for Legacy Orbital Strike without leveling an Agent to 50. I can't pay to unlock the class specific +10 presence bonuses granted by leveling a class to 50 and completing a companion story.

Where I believe a datacron unlock should be is in the combination of the two, where would be not being able to unlock the datacron until it's been unlocked by at least one of your characters with a cost of in game currency (conversion of game time) or real world currency (conversion of work time).

This is by far the most wanted thing I've wanted for some time now.

The way I see it there's a legacy unlock that unlocks all datacrons on all characters. This would work like this:

Once you unlock the option then any datacron recieved on any character would have that datacron applied to all the other characters.

Examples:

1) Toon 1 has all datacrons Imp, no other toons have any. After unlock any imperial toon has all the datacrons, any republic toons have all the datacrons expect the republic specific ones.

2) Toon 1 has half the datacrons imp, Toon 2 has the other half imp. After unlock any imperial toon has all the datacrons, any republic toons have all the datacrons expect the republic specific ones.

3) Toon 1 has all the datacrons Imp, Toon 2 has all the datacrons republic. After the unlock all toons have all crons including their faction specific ones.

If people still want to get the crons the option to get them should be there, but it only grants XP as they would already have the stat and the codex.

Alternate ideas:

- Have the option of this being either a character perk or legacy wide

- If someone unlocks a unique datacron for one faction, unlock the mirror on the other faction automatically.

I think this falls into an "implementation nightmare" with unlocking between the different factions.

That being said, I actually don't mind this remaining a "if you want it on this toon, go get it". There are some things that happen in this game that should keep you continuing to visit the planets. And there are things that should remain time spent as opposed to money spent. Datacrons for me fall into both of those categories, let it be something that shows you are willing to go the extra mile on a particular toon and distinguish between mains and alts. Plus the effect that having a full set of datacrons on a level 1 toon... What is relatively minor at 50 is a major deal at 5.

/signed

for those who are debating and arguing that it should not be implemented, go somewhere else, it does not affects ur gameplay experience in any posible way.... let people play their game as they wish, furthermore there was already a thread about this, quite popular i might say:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548360

Edited by YeIIow

TL;DR

Please NOT.

get back to me once you have gotten most of the datacorns on about 5 or more character yeah it isn't hard to do but very annoying especially if you like to get them all especially the datacorns on tatooine and corellia. Most people wouldn't want to worry about datacorns while lvling up a alt. I would be 100% for this if it's legacy wide only not on the Cartel market or they make it so you have to get them all at least once before you can buy it on the Cartel market if they want to make money off it

There's already a big thread on this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548360

But here's my thoughts on this again:

Now, I had to do the math myself on this cuz Google failed me or I failed the Internet, one or the other. It got complicated cuz some planets have faction-specific ones, free-for-all ones, or a mix of both.

Including the +10 here are the total stats to be gained from gathering ALL Datacrons:

Aim Pub: 43 Imp: 40

Cunning Pub: 37 Imp: 37

Endurance Pub: 39 Imp: 40 (+400 health)

Presence Pub: 38 Imp: 40

Strength Pub: 40 Imp: 40

Willpower Pub: 40 Imp: 40

The one stat that really helps everyone is Endurance, and you can see that if you get them all you get an extra 400 health. So if you say "400 health is nothing when you're talking about 20k health" then my question is why do people spend ~700,000 credits for purple augments that give them an extra 280 health (14 gear slots, 14x2x10) over the blue versions that cost only ~150,000 credits? Typically, the purple augments have +2 Endurance (and every stat) more than their equivalent blue versions.

The answer is that it gives them an edge over people that just have the blue augments, however small, it's still an edge. So people are willing to work hard to farm credits to buy these augments or make them themselves for the extra 280 health for that small edge but they aren't willing to work hard (it's not even hard, actually) to get the Datacrons, even *just* the Endurance ones, to give them an extra 400 health?

This is why Datacrons shouldn't be a Legacy perk. They give you an edge, however small it *may* be, over someone who doesn't have them. If you want that edge you should have to work for it and earn it, just like you do when you buy the purple augments.

People don't buy/make a purple augment and then say "Legacy so all my toons have it now", do they? But somehow people figure that Datacrons should be Legacy?

Let's say you have 0 credits and you want to buy a 60,000 credit purple augment that gives you +2 Endurance over the blue version. What's more difficult or time consuming, going to do Black Hole for 10-20 minutes to get the cash or going to Ilum for 2 minutes to pick up the Endurance +4 datacron that's just sitting there in the snow? You'd actually have to do Black Hole twice over 2 days to get enough credits to buy 2 purple augs to get the same +4 Endurance boost when you can just go get that bonus for free.

If you ignore the Datacrons on each planet while leveling then, yes, it sucks and it's a pain to go get them at 50 but that's your own fault. Every planet chain takes you close to every Datacron and if you get them while you're there it's a piece of cake.

Waiting until you're 50 and then demanding a Legacy perk so you don't have to go backtracking is absolutely 100% lazy.

And...

Planet chains take you close to almost every Datacron so it's not like people have to go out of their way as long as you're doing those. If you choose to level only through PvP and Flashpoints then I don't know what to tell you.

People spend big time and money on getting "marginal" stat boosts through mods and augments but they don't want to spend minimal time and no money getting Datacrons which not only give you stat boosts but also give you XP and Codex whereas mods and augments do not. So why are people "ok" with spending big time and money on mods and augments but not spending minimal time and no money getting Datacrons? Like I said, get them while you level and they are a breeze, but if you wait until 50 then it's your own fault.

If you wait until 50 and *then* go back to get Datacrons then I don't know what to tell you. Getting them while you level gives you stats and XP but once you hit 50 it's just stats but you could have used the XP while leveling. I actually do NOT have all the Datacrons on my four 50 Republic toons but I'm waiting for the level cap increase before I go get them. I learned my lesson, though, and got them all on my Imperial toons as I leveled. I'm not bitter about it, I learned something about playing this game that I was able to put to use when I did my Imperial toons.

People keep asking how this would affect *my* enjoyment of the game... the ability to give other toons all Datacrons instantly via Legacy affects *me* and *my* ability to enjoy this game knowing that the time and effort *I* spent getting them all on each toon was basically for nothing when I could have just bought them. It's basically a kick in the bean bag and, like I stated before, insulting.

Someone said "it's the same as me passing my knowledge to my children". The Codex entry, sure, I can tell my kids all about Galactic History, but I can't just say "ok, you're stronger now *poof*". Datacrons are consumables, just like adrenals and stims, and there should be no way to just give that boost to anyone. If I take an Exotech Might Stim should there be a Legacy perk to give that same boost to my other toons (or even just the other ones that benefit from the strength boost)? Or how about gathering missions, which are also consumed, if I learn a top-tier Investigation mission should all my Legacy toons also have it? Augments and items and gear and credits, sure, mail those to anyone you want cuz they aren't consumed. I think this might be the point at the heart of my anathema to this idea in that consumables should not be Legacy-consumed.

I can see your point, however I still agree as do many others that this is simply overall wanted by most players.

Can you make the argument about class buffs? That are viable through legacy? Hey that 5% endurance and crit chance increase sure gave me an edge over the other guy I fought on Voss the other day. It makes as much sense to be able to pass class buffs through your legacy as it does knowledge and stat increases through datacrons. One of which is already implemented, hopefuly the other will follow soon. "poof you are now stronger"

But here's my thoughts on this again:

You make some good points, but I think you forget one simple thing. This is a game and it is supposed to be fun. But the community has said resoundingly that getting datacrons is decidedly NOT FUN. Mario jumping, waiting for pointlessly slow crates to arrive, getting knocked off the jawa balloon. The insanely buggy republic +10 datacron.

We want legacy datacrons so we don't have to repeat a part of the game that nobody likes. Period.

That research is not 100% accurate.

The increase to bonus damage should be 8.82. The crit % for non-force/crit attacks varies based on your current stat levels. I specifically calculated the % based on a BiS Marauder. Since this class does not have a skill to increase primary stat by X%, I have approximated one of the highest potential boosts.

EDIT: I was right the first time:

{ [ +40 * 1.05 (SI/JC Buff) ] * 0.23 (Power Coefficient for Bonus Damage) * 1.05 (SW/JK Buff) }

Do you think something else is not accurate?

In any event, many people are in favor of this, but some, most notably Petfish and Asherall oppose it. Neither of them disagree with this for invalid reasons. I still don't agree with their logic, and I think their parallels are not very good. But we aren't going to change their minds, and it's a good thing we don't need to. :)

What we need is for Bioware to embrace the idea. So if you support this idea say so

Edited by oofalong
new information

The increase to bonus damage should be 8.4 not 8.82. (40 * 1.05 * 0.2) Sorry, I must have mistyped when I first calculated. The crit % for non-force/crit attacks varies based on your current stat levels. I specifically calculated the % based on a BiS Marauder. Since this class does not have a skill to increase primary stat by X%, I have approximated one of the highest potential boosts.

Do you think something else is not accurate?

In any event, many people are in favor of this, but some, most notably Petfish and Asherall oppose it. Neither of them disagree with this for invalid reasons. I still don't agree with their logic, and I think their parallels are not very good. But we aren't going to change their minds, and it's a good thing we don't need to. :)

What we need is for Bioware to embrace the idea. So if you support this idea say so

Yes it is :p I was simply being a pain and nitpicky lol.