Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

gizbug
01.25.2012 , 08:17 AM | #1
Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

Noviru
04.10.2012 , 08:38 PM | #2
Hello everyone,

This thread has been recreated because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to whether or not there will be Server Merges.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:
  • Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

For related discussions, please see the following threads:

Please also see Dallas Dickinson's reply to the April 27th Community Q&A:

Quote:
Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.
Thank you for understanding.

Raeli
04.10.2012 , 08:45 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Oddzball
WHy do they even bother leaving this thread open I wonder?

They straight up said they refuse to do a server merge. They wont do it.

Even though the issue is big enough that a news site for the game actually had to ASK them to get a response, they still don't think they have any issues.

Has a mod ever come on this thread and given an official response to server merges?

Have we ever gotten ANY official response to server merges?

Why is it so hard to COMMUNICATE with your player base?
It would be nice, if they don't think there is an issue, for them to come out and explain why they don't exactly - why they think it's okay that most warzones on my server start with 6 players, why the GTN on my server has hardly any thing on it, why finding groups is nigh impossible because there's hardly anyone around.

Oddzball
04.10.2012 , 08:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
It would be nice, if they don't think there is an issue, for them to come out and explain why they don't exactly - why they think it's okay that most warzones on my server start with 6 players, why the GTN on my server has hardly any thing on it, why finding groups is nigh impossible because there's hardly anyone around.
I feel bad for you Europe folks (And not because my mother is british either :P )

You guys always have server pop problems, scheduled maintenance during peak hours, longer wait for game releases.

I am just shocked, like "*** Kitty" even that they can say with a straight face there aren't some issues with low population servers.

BioWare, seriously, I WANT to play your game. I LIKE playing SWTOR, but I cant fully enjoy it if nobody is on my server to play with!

NissiK
04.10.2012 , 09:03 PM | #5
Ok, just a warning im so *********** angry. ALLOW TRANSFER OR MERGE ALREADY. I'm so sick and tired of login into an empty server, where I see the same people PvP'ing. The same server that has 3 guilds that can even do 16 man raids, 2 of which can clear NMM and won't accept new players, because they are full and want to be that guild that pushing content on the server.

Its ******** that us players on smaller servers have to put up w/ this crap especially when a new content patch is coming out. Players on small servers are going to be left behind.

WAITING A MONTH+ IS UNACCEPTABLE BIOWARE.

Kaonis
04.10.2012 , 09:47 PM | #6
BW really dropped the ball when it came to server populations. I'm on a server that's considered midline for population and we hardly have anybody on. What's worse is BW seems to think things are just fine even though PVP queue pops are iffy at the 50 range, and finding anyone your level range for FP is downright impossible.

When server transfers come out sadly they will make a killing if they charge for it like other games do, because right now most servers have such a piss poor balance of population (let alone faction balance) that most people would be more than willing to pay money to get off to a more populated server.

Tahana
04.10.2012 , 10:15 PM | #8
This person started a thread and it was closed before I could answer... and it was redirected here.
Quote:
Quintan

Your answer to server mergers | Today , 10:02 PM

Straight from

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...ames-ohlen-and

Is there any discussion of merging servers or adding incentives to move players to low pop servers?

JO: No, we’re not going to. Merging servers is not something we are looking at. We have a very healthy game right now, so that is not something we are looking at in the near future. We're always going to look at ways to make sure a server is healthy. There are a whole bunch of different ways you can do that. We're discussing them. We want to make sure players feel like there are enough players on their server to play with.

So Re-roll or roll out.
Are you a politician, because your spin on that article is amazing. Not more than one paragraph above that James talks about how server transfers are more important than ever.

It isn't reroll or roll out.. It is transfers are coming.
May the Schwartz be with you
There is no glue, no pill, no tool that can fix stupid.

Quintan
04.10.2012 , 10:20 PM | #9
Transfers are going to destroy servers, every one will transfer to 2-3 heavy pop servers...

Yeah great idea!!! Hey as long as $$ is involved...

And what am I spinning? that's a direct quote.

Tahana
04.10.2012 , 10:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Quintan View Post
Transfers are going to destroy servers, every one will transfer to 2-3 heavy pop servers...

Yeah great idea!!! Hey as long as $$ is involved...
You have no clue how it will be rolled out.. You have no clue how the populations will be controlled. You have no clue how the transfer system will be structured. You have no clue if they will even charge for the service. Trion didn't, Bioware could very well make it a free service as well.

You are complaining just to complain. Transfers allow the player to make the choice. Forced mergers take control away. But my guess is that you'd find a way to complain if your ice cream was to cold.
May the Schwartz be with you
There is no glue, no pill, no tool that can fix stupid.