How to improve Conquest

DaemionMoadrin

Conquest still has a few issues, namely that it is next to impossible for small or medium guilds to conquer a planet, that most people simply don't care about conquest (anymore) and that it isn't alt friendly.

In my opinion this could be solved or at least improved by a few simple steps:

1. Make all planets available for conquest all the time, that way the guilds can spread out. There at least a dozen large conquest guilds around after the server merge if they all compete for the same 3 planets there's nothing left for the medium or small guilds. Also change up which planets are small, medium and large yield.

2. Introduce a penalty for large guilds going after medium and small yield planets and medium guilds going after small planets. Evidently offering superior rewards isn't enough, otherwise Stroke My Wookie wouldn't camp the small planets every week. The penalty could be something like 100% more conquest points needed for personal and guild reward if a large guild invades a small planet, and 50% more if they go after a medium planet (or a medium sized guild goes after a small planet). Obviously we'd have to define what is a large, medium and small guild but that could be done easily through the active, qualifying accounts.

3. With the exception of crafting objectives, only objectives you can repeat infinitely should be legacy. Otherwise people who want to complete conquest on several alts get punished. At the moment I can't play my Imp chars because they'd complete valuable objectives I need for my Rep guild.

Lower the points for completing weekly missions but let us do it as often as we want throughout our legacy.

Bring back the daily FP objective how it used to be: Each time you earn the daily reward from completing a random FP through GF, you get it.

4. Keep the crafting objectives as they are now but lower the material costs for Armored Vehicles, Holocrons of Strategy, Starship Weapons etc. Right now they aren't even remotely worth it.

5. Certain objectives should be available each week:

PvE:

Complete an Operation through GF

Complete a daily FP through GF

Complete a daily Uprising through GF

Complete a weekly FP or Uprising mission

Heroic missions on at least one planet

PvP:

Complete a Warzone

Win a Warzone

Win a ranked match

Complete a GSF match

Win a GSF match

Complete any weekly PvP mission

The bulk of objectives changes each week of course and that's fine, but I want the same reward for all my characters, not just for the first one I play.

It might not be a bad idea to add objectives regarding Space Battles, too.

6. Obviously this means the point values need to be adjusted. I think getting them in an area where you can complete conquest on any char in ~3 hours would be best.

7. If necessary, add more/better rewards for conquest. Perhaps boxes with CM items?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If titles/achievements were removed from conquering planets, you wouldn't see huge guilds on small planets. From previous posts, people in large guilds defending the practice of invading small-yield planets has been that their members needed titles/achievements there.

So rather than punishing the large guilds, simply get rid of their incentive across the board to invade anything other than planets whose goals align most closely with the overall capacity of their guilds to complete conquest.

We don't "camp the small planets every week". One of our guilds always attacks the Large Yield planet and our other invades based on our rotation schedule. In the last 10 weeks we have taken 16 first places and only 5 of those were small yield targets, some of which we have not invaded since 2017.

It is not our fault that the devs ignore every suggestion that guilds say to them. I was very clear that the new "improved" system was bad for small guilds from the start:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9567853&postcount=14

The reason we ever go for small yield targets is because if we didn't then our guild members would miss achievements and titles since the planet yields are fixed i.e. they never change:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.mmoguildsites.com/s3/gallery_images/1004608/original.jpg

CZ-198, Ilum, Oricon, Quesh, Section X and The Black Hole are always Small Yield. Your suggestion we should be penalised for trying to help our guild members is uncalled for and not well thought out as the same problem affects small guilds from the flip side. If we only ever focused on Large Yield targets then your guilds will never claim Alderaan, Belsavis, Corellia, Hoth, Taris, Tatooine or Voss.

I think that it's unlikely they will add every planet to every week as it looks bad when people look through the score boards and see hardly any guilds invading certain planets since BW are still promoting the "our metrics show us the game population is fine" line. The busiest server in the EU had several planets with only 2-3 guilds invading them. Worse on the French and German servers.

I believe having 6 planets each week is a better solution, 2 of each yield and they need to spread the mix out more. Recently they had the same 3 planets occur twice within a month of each other.

Edited by UlaVii

1 and 2 are obviously really state fo the art stupid suggestions.

1 makes the whole thing "conquest" totally obsolete since it is designed as a competition between guilds and with that it wouldn't be one anymore. Last week for instance was a joke and had nothing to do wiith a sportsmanlike competiton anymore. But it's ok to have one of those events I guess. But every week? Hell, no. How lame that would be...

And 2. can only come from someone being too lazy to build a big guild but still wants and feels entitled to have it all or at least a chance on it? Why? It's unrealistic. You don't want to make the effort? Ok, but then deal with it like a grown up.

@UlaVii: You may want to take into account that I wrote that small/medium/large planets switch randomly.

For example, Ilum is a small planet this week, the next it might be a large one. That way, even if you only go after a certain size of planet, you have a chance to get all titles.

Penalties are a last resort, give me a better idea and I'll glady support that. It's not fair, I get that. Neither is it fair that your guild is invading a small planet again. ;)

@Khaleg: If you want to discuss this like a grown up, perhaps don't lead with insults?

This isn't about entitlement, this is about a broken system. Not everyone wants to be in a large guild for various reasons, that doesn't mean they need to be locked out from content.

Low participation in conquest doesn't have to mean that the server population is lower (although it's a factor), the issue is more that most people don't bother with conquest anymore because outside of being in one of the ~5 biggest guilds you stand no chance no matter what you do.

So where exactly is the issue if there are only ~5 guilds invading a planet because there are all planets available?

Penalties are a last resort, give me a better idea and I'll glady support that. It's not fair, I get that. Neither is it fair that your guild is invading a small planet again. ;)

It is fair for my guild members who put the effort in to win. It is fair for myself and my officers who put the effort of coordinating hundreds of people each week. You write one little line about mixing up the yields but then a big paragraph about how guilds like mine should be penalised and then you want to talk about being fair :rolleyes:

I've already given suggestions on how conquest can be improved so smaller guilds are more easily able to take first place on planets, the easiest being to make it 6 planets each week and mix up the yields each week. My suggestions have nothing to do with punishing other people.

So many things in this game already feel like BW punishing players. We don't need players demanding even more slaps. We are all in this together.

@UlaVii: You may want to take into account that I wrote that small/medium/large planets switch randomly.

For example, Ilum is a small planet this week, the next it might be a large one. That way, even if you only go after a certain size of planet, you have a chance to get all titles.

@Khaleg: If you want to discuss this like a grown up, perhaps don't lead with insults?

This isn't about entitlement, this is about a broken system. Not everyone wants to be in a large guild for various reasons, that doesn't mean they need to be locked out from content.

Low participation in conquest doesn't have to mean that the server population is lower (although it's a factor), the issue is more that most people don't bother with conquest anymore because outside of being in one of the ~5 biggest guilds you stand no chance no matter what you do.

So where exactly is the issue if there are only ~5 guilds invading a planet because there are all planets available?

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a personal insult but as a very objective description of what you are asking for...it's ridiculous in my eyes. It's based on nothing but unrealistic entitlement. 50 people pulling a rope will (and should of course) ALWAYS win against 3 people pulling that same rope! It's that f... easy... isn't it? That's what I mean with accept the facts like a grown up...or invest in the effort if you really want it, and building and later running a big guild is quite some effort, I can tell.

Edited by Khaleg

I didn't mean it as a personal insult but as a very objective description of what you are asking for...it's ridiculous in my eyes. It's based on nothing but unrealistic entitlement. 50 people pulling a rope will (and should of course) ALWAYS win against 3 people pulling that same rope! It's that f... easy... isn't it? That's what I mean with accept the facts like a grown up...or invest in the effort if you really want it.

What if those 3 people were giants and the 50 were like dwarfs or something small like that? ;)

I think it's that clear cut as well...however...I do think there needs to be a way for 3 very focused, prepared and dedicated players to beat 50 lazy players. In the old Conquest system, there was a way for a tiny guild to plan for MONTHS to compete against the numbers larger guilds had. Even if they planned everything out perfectly, there was a good chance they wouldn't beat them just due to sheer size...but...they were able to at times.

Some improvements are in need due to players decisions that make conquest worse.

1. Fix is need for rampage reset bug. People rack up literally MILLIONS of conquest points individually just grinding rampages over and over and over, AND OVER. Not working as intended this needs fixed ASAP. I don't even know how this is enjoyable, but there are players who spend hours doing nothing but grinding repeatable rampage quests.

Either the devs need to make repeatables legit, or remove this exploit. Personally when these people use this exploit it just makes me want to not do conquest at all, because there's no way in hell I am going to spend hours grinding rampage repeatables via an exploit which is the only way to compete with guilds/players that do this.

2. Guilds are working together to conquer planets by taking turns... Smaller guilds are not part of these agreements and are disadvantaged even more by the fact the larger guilds work together to ensure they do not step on each others toes, yet have no problem removing any chance smaller guilds have at lesser yield planets when the larger guilds are taking their turns on the smaller planets.

I am not sure how you fix the second issue. Players always find the path of least resistance to success and take it. The thought that guilds "compete" for planets is total hogwash though as I have come to find out now. I been in a "conquest" guild for 3 weeks and had never heard of arranging win until recently. Who knows what other shenanigans goes on. I just feel bad for small guilds trying for a small planet only to see a very large conquest guild come crushing the planet rendering them no chance at all to win it.

Edited by Lhancelot

Some improvements are in need due to players decisions that make conquest worse.

1. Fix is need for rampage reset bug. .

Only if the legacy restriction is removed. I'm not doing PVP, I'm not doing GSF, I'm doing my rampages. 3500 to 7500 points into two rampages, and my legacy is locked out for the rest of the day. That's pure b.s. At least with the exploit, which at the moment is alt-friendly, I can hit my 15k on multiple toons, rather than having to wait a day to complete the 15k on the same toon.

Edited by xordevoreaux

It is fair for my guild members who put the effort in to win. It is fair for myself and my officers who put the effort of coordinating hundreds of people each week. You write one little line about mixing up the yields but then a big paragraph about how guilds like mine should be penalised and then you want to talk about being fair :rolleyes:

I've already given suggestions on how conquest can be improved so smaller guilds are more easily able to take first place on planets, the easiest being to make it 6 planets each week and mix up the yields each week. My suggestions have nothing to do with punishing other people.

So many things in this game already feel like BW punishing players. We don't need players demanding even more slaps. We are all in this together.

You just proved that we do need penalties. You don't care at all that you remove the chances for medium and small guilds, you only care about your own guild. Nothing personal, in your place I'd probably act the same. You have no incentive not to go after small planets. The issue I see here is that Stroke my Wookie is two guilds, not just one...

What's the issue if the planets change all the time? You want to go after Ilum, but it's a small planet. So either you put up with doing twice the work or you wait a week or two until it's a large planet. Would that hurt you so much?

I also don't understand why you think that having 6 planets is a good solution but having all of them is not. What do you care if there are only 3 guilds invading a planet? They still have to reach the target, they still compete against each other. But now they actually have a chance to come out on top.

Do you not want anyone else to have success or what's your reason here?

Sorry, so far I haven't seen any good argument yet.

Guess we won't reach a consensus here, different perspectives and all... so let's try something else.

What if guilds could form alliances? What if you could cooperate with ~9 other guilds, form an alliance and then that alliance invades the planet? That would be a way to level the playing field.

Ok so, people are less than happy about the first two points... what about the rest of my initial post?

You just proved that we do need penalties. You don't care at all that you remove the chances for medium and small guilds, you only care about your own guild. Nothing personal, in your place I'd probably act the same.
How one can read that out of Ula's post is completely beyond me, I can only assume ill intent! Incredible. Penalizing a guild for invading a planet just so you get a better chance of achieving YOUR goal is so low, I lack words for it.

You are definitely very entitled. "I don't want to run or be in a large guild, but I want all rewards". Let's face it: regardless of how you define the goals, unless you put in some kind of means like "divide points by number of participants per guild" you will always have an advantage if you bring in more players.

The only (!!!!!!!) thing you might miss out on is the achievement for conquering a planet. Easy solution to it: park one alt in a large guild. Problem solved, nobody penalized.

"But I don't want that" -> then that is your decision and problem. Deal with it.

You just proved that we do need penalties. You don't care at all that you remove the chances for medium and small guilds, you only care about your own guild. Nothing personal, in your place I'd probably act the same. You have no incentive not to go after small planets. The issue I see here is that Stroke my Wookie is two guilds, not just one...

We've been asking for a guild character cap increase for 8 months now. Opening the second guild was a necessity as our guild members were unhappy that we didn't have room for the alts they actively play. Every guild has the same opportunity to grow and develop. If you keep your eye on the guild community across all servers you will see new large guild rise and fall all the time.

There are some who argue that they don't want their small guild to grow and they list a bunch of reasons why they think large guilds are horrid places but then at the same time they want to win rewards from a competition that is specifically aimed at guilds competing against each other. It's not like large guilds are just tapping "Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start" and we instantly win but it sounds like you want the devs to help you cheat by punishing large guilds.

Instead of asking the devs to punish other players you should be giving them suggestions to make the competition fairer for all guilds. You clearly agree that having more planets each week is a good step so why do you have to insist that large guilds should be punished?

It's because of people like you that we have the new "improved" conquest system as the devs clearly have no idea how people play their game so when people kept saying "You should have a tiered system with rewards" they listened without really thinking it through. I said that was a terrible idea before it was even live in the game as the rewards they said they would offer were pitiful and not enough to make guild members not want the achievements and titles.

What's the issue if the planets change all the time? You want to go after Ilum, but it's a small planet. So either you put up with doing twice the work or you wait a week or two until it's a large planet. Would that hurt you so much?

I never said I had a problem with the yields changing periodically. In my second post in this thread I stated as much. I think this would be a good step.

I also don't understand why you think that having 6 planets is a good solution but having all of them is not. What do you care if there are only 3 guilds invading a planet? They still have to reach the target, they still compete against each other. But now they actually have a chance to come out on top.

6 planets means conquest still has an element of competition. All the planets means hardly any unless you get unlucky. If you looked through the scoreboard for every planet at the end of last week you will of seen that several planets only had 2-3 guilds attacking them. (1) Some people actually enjoy the competitive side so the victory would be meaningless if you just wait until a week that nobody else is pushing for a planet (2) Bioware probably don't want people to see the constant reminder at how low the game population is. Having several mostly empty scoreboards looks very bad. You and I are on Darth Malgus, the busiest server in the EU. It looked worse on the French and German servers.

Do you not want anyone else to have success or what's your reason here?

So my post asking why they killed competition for small guilds and all my ignored messages in the producer video streams count for nothing. I also made it very clear to the producers that the reward system was a bad idea. I missed where you wrote anything supportive during that time when it might of mattered. Clearly the devs have moved on to their latest credit/CC sink and forgotten about conquest.

Guess we won't reach a consensus here, different perspectives and all... so let's try something else.

You really expect to reach a consensus when you keep saying guilds that are not yours should be punished.

What if guilds could form alliances? What if you could cooperate with ~9 other guilds, form an alliance and then that alliance invades the planet? That would be a way to level the playing field.

To help smaller guild, I created two new guilds with a guild ship each, one called Republic Iokath Alliance and the other Imperial Iokath Alliance so that everybody on the server could have a chance to work together to win Iokath shortly after the planet was first added. We contacted over 50 guild leaders. About 20 joined the alliance, another 20 did not reply at all and the rest sent back angry messages ranging from "f**k you, we don't need your stinking alliance" to "how dare you try to steal our guild members". My own guild did not invade that week at all. The outcome was that a certain other guild saw that as their opportunity to take the win by dropping a few million points in the first couple of hours which demotivated a lot of people that are not CQ savy. They did not understand that points in the first few hours mean very little so instead they went and joined that guild who openly advertised they wanted to crush the alliance. There have been successful alliances on other servers but it really depends on how receptive the rest of the community is.

A few good ideas OP, but for the most part the changes you are asking for help you, certainly would not help me. I do think conquest needs to change. At the moment its yet another event/activity that I don't get involved in. Which I did before the revamp. Any event really needs to include as many players as possible. be that large or small guilds and solo players. Also IMO needs to be more alt friendly.

BW could just add another way of getting starship floor plans, so you can still get them free though conquests, Conquest would still give you the in game titles and achievements. I only did conquests for the floor plans as in-game achievements mean nothing to me. I am not talking buying plans of GTN as I am not going to rewards other players because BW are penalizing small guilds or even now solo guilds which there are a few now. BW needs to find away in include all players. By all I mean in any activity not just conquests.

Edited by StormForceDax

Perfect example of why monopolies are a bad thing... there is no competition.

Its just who is bigger than the other....

Will never be fixed... move on.

No, you clearly have no clue about the matter. Size is a part of it, but only in comparison to other good organized guilds, and that's the real point, being organized, WELL organzed. I know guilds with 500 subscriber accounts which have no chance in conquest (although they want to/wish for) for reasons like leader incompetence, general lack of organziation and focus, etc. pp

Size matters! - but here regarding this topic only partly :-)

Edited by Khaleg

No clearly I have no idea that a 1000 user guild focused on doing conquest will ALWAYS trump any other size guild especially 20-50 user guild....

Simple maths and simple monopoly.

Only way to compete with that is grow to that size that isnt competition.

The bigger guild will hate the word, but it is what it is. It will never be a fair "fight" whilst the balance is about size... Adding a form of averages may resolve but there will always be a work around of it.

I undesrtand both sides, small vs big and sympathise with both... honestly... this system isnt designed for fair competition and thats the sum of it... its outside the remit of us all to fix and BW will not do anything about it.

This thread really points out the biggest flaw in conquest. What it should its primary purpose be? (and how can we make it work better for more players, guilds and the longevity of the game)

- Very large guilds think it exists to give them a monopoly on conqueror titles and first dibs on commanders, basically a free perk that other guilds have no chance at.

- Large and medium guilds see it as a goal to hit the minimum for rewards to increase participation and group efforts.

- Small guilds see it as something in the game that doesn't include them.

The system doesn't serve all players and the primary purpose is needlessly obscure. What should the purpose be? Simply this: Encourage increased participation for ALL players in ALL guild sizes. And currently the system FAILS.

NOT A COMPETITION:

Lets get real, its not a competition. No idea if that was the intention, nor if it used to work that way, but it really isn't. The very large guilds can simply make agreements with the other 2 very large guilds, and they get a free planet. Big guilds are typically bullys of the top 10 charts, and bully's do not try to go where there is real challenge. Large/Medium/Small guilds do not compete either, they do not try for a planet and the minimum threshold doesn't require competition. CONQUEST ISN'T REALLY A COMPETITION.

SOLUTIONS OFFERED:

Most of the solutions offered really do not solve the problem, and only make the situation slightly better, but all of them are intended to try to level the playing field a little. The big guilds are strongly against any attempt to give up their effectively free perks, and all the other guilds want a system where they can participate in working to also get those perks (rewards). So effectively threads degrade into an argument where some people wanting to keep the unfair advantages in, and some people wanting more fairness. By fairness I mean, the opportunity to participate in the perks, like the planet titles.

But penalizing big guilds with lower conquest points, or even trying to define how that would work, really will not work, and at best will simply make the problem a tiny bit less of a problem. Making every week have 6 planets is worthless. This last week with all planets it still was extreme amounts to take some planets.

PARTIAL SOLUTION:

I think ALL planets should be available EVERY week, just to spread out the big guilds a little. Will that fix the problem completely, no, but it would significantly help.

FULL SOLUTION:

Ultimately the only solution that will work completely and finally make conquest for every guild would be:

1.) Every planet has a planet conquer amount. If you reach this amount, your PC players get the title. Only the top points guild gets the name on the planet and the dibs on the commander.

2.) Get rid of the small, medium, large designations. Rewards could increase by every 1 million total points a guild gets. So the current small planet rewards would be if you reach the minimum but are under 1 million. If the guilds gets over 1 million, each reward increases by 1.

(Step 2 is optional, but I think it works good with step 1.)

For the same reasons the planet minimum was such a big success can easily be extended to the planet conquer goal amount. This solution would very significantly increase participation for guilds of ALL sizes (except the 3 very-large guilds on each server). The benefits of increased player participation on this scale would be HUGE for the game.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

How one can read that out of Ula's post is completely beyond me, I can only assume ill intent! Incredible. Penalizing a guild for invading a planet just so you get a better chance of achieving YOUR goal is so low, I lack words for it.

You are definitely very entitled. "I don't want to run or be in a large guild, but I want all rewards". Let's face it: regardless of how you define the goals, unless you put in some kind of means like "divide points by number of participants per guild" you will always have an advantage if you bring in more players.

The only (!!!!!!!) thing you might miss out on is the achievement for conquering a planet. Easy solution to it: park one alt in a large guild. Problem solved, nobody penalized.

"But I don't want that" -> then that is your decision and problem. Deal with it.

The point here is that, as you just said yourself, this is something only large guilds can do. Everyone else simply doesn't get the chance, even when the new conquest system was meant to enable that.

There is no reason for large guilds to not go after small planets and this issue is exacerbated by Stroke my Wookie consisting of two guilds, so they occupy two planets each week.

I don't mean to go after Stroke my Wookie, it's just the perfect example of a large guild easily crushing all smaller ones without even intending to.

Btw... even if we wanted to, with the player situation as it is, we would never be able to grow to a size where we'd become a challenge.

Sure, we can put an alt into your guild until we have what we need, but seriously, that's not a solution. That's a workaround at best.

I prefer systems that work as designed, not stuff you need to circumvent to get a result.

We've been asking for a guild character cap increase for 8 months now. Opening the second guild was a necessity as our guild members were unhappy that we didn't have room for the alts they actively play. Every guild has the same opportunity to grow and develop. If you keep your eye on the guild community across all servers you will see new large guild rise and fall all the time.

There are some who argue that they don't want their small guild to grow and they list a bunch of reasons why they think large guilds are horrid places but then at the same time they want to win rewards from a competition that is specifically aimed at guilds competing against each other. It's not like large guilds are just tapping "Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start" and we instantly win but it sounds like you want the devs to help you cheat by punishing large guilds.

Instead of asking the devs to punish other players you should be giving them suggestions to make the competition fairer for all guilds. You clearly agree that having more planets each week is a good step so why do you have to insist that large guilds should be punished?

It's because of people like you that we have the new "improved" conquest system as the devs clearly have no idea how people play their game so when people kept saying "You should have a tiered system with rewards" they listened without really thinking it through. I said that was a terrible idea before it was even live in the game as the rewards they said they would offer were pitiful and not enough to make guild members not want the achievements and titles.

Nothing I wrote in this thread is personal, my goal here is to find something that works for everyone. If my first ideas were bad, okay. We can talk about that.

That you've grown beyond a single guild is a seperate issue. If you had everyone in one guild, would you still go after small planets or is the incentive for the large yield reward sufficient to keep you there? If so, no penalties needed.

On the other hand, every game has rules and I don't see the issue if a rule says that an optional action costs more. You don't have to do it, you could simply wait and still get what you want another week. That this is too much already and seemingly offends people makes me question who exactly is entitled here. Anyway, ok. Penalties are bad, let's look for something better.

It is certainly not because of people like me that we've got a new conquest system. No one asked for it, I definitely never said anything about it. It wasn't great and you really had to struggle and be lucky but sometimes you could win on a small, unwanted planet like Quesh. That's no longer possible.

6 planets means conquest still has an element of competition. All the planets means hardly any unless you get unlucky. If you looked through the scoreboard for every planet at the end of last week you will of seen that several planets only had 2-3 guilds attacking them. (1) Some people actually enjoy the competitive side so the victory would be meaningless if you just wait until a week that nobody else is pushing for a planet (2) Bioware probably don't want people to see the constant reminder at how low the game population is. Having several mostly empty scoreboards looks very bad. You and I are on Darth Malgus, the busiest server in the EU. It looked worse on the French and German servers.

So my post asking why they killed competition for small guilds and all my ignored messages in the producer video streams count for nothing. I also made it very clear to the producers that the reward system was a bad idea. I missed where you wrote anything supportive during that time when it might of mattered. Clearly the devs have moved on to their latest credit/CC sink and forgotten about conquest.

There is no such thing as competition, not really. 90% of it is guild size, and that's not something you can change easily.

I think it's funny that you talk about competition when any invasion you start is pretty much a guaranteed win for you. How often did you not place 1st since the new system has been active?

Do you think other guilds work any less than yours? Each of our active members earned 100-180k points last week. Pointlessly so, since we still only placed 5th. Guess who got the top spot? A large guild, again.

Do you have any idea how demotivating it is to check your progress and see a large guild on top, with the goal reached on the first day? When you have to rely on alts in a system that punishes you for having a large legacy?

So, the current system sucks and only works for large guilds.

What do you care about planets with only 3 guilds? Seriously? "It looks bad"? I think it looks great. I mean, how silly is it to invade a planet that's packed with invaders already? How it looks is an issue for BioWare and seeing that we have at least one event where all planets are available, it doesn't seem to be a huge issue for them. If they even care.

I posted quite a bit during the first week of conquest and again after the "fix".

Regarding alliances, right now this isn't possible without leaving your own guild. What I envision is a "guild of guilds" system, where you can invite guilds to pool resources for conquest. And only for conquest. Nothing else would change.

Basically, one guild leader creates the "Small Guild Alliance" and sends an alliance invitation to another guild leader, who then can accept to join. Once the desired size has been reached, an invasion target can be set, all conquest points earned by all players in the allied guilds count towards that. So there aren't ~10 guilds invading, just one 'guild', the alliance. This alliance lasts until the end of conquest, after which people can choose to stay for another week or to leave.

Another point, it would allow Stroke my Wookie to form an alliance between its two guilds.

@StormForceDax

I agree with you, but it's difficult to get people motivated to participate in a broken event. First the conquest system needs to work before it can attract players again. In our guild at least half the players stopped doing it because it's not fun anymore.

@Stellarcrusade

Those are some really good thoughts and ideas, thank you.

Nothing I wrote in this thread is personal

Yet you have written about my guild specifically in this thread 5 times already and keep demanding we are punished.

You can only see things from your own point of view and keep making suggestions from there. Like you talk about the alliance of guilds. What about the guilds that get excluded from the alliance. The next thing will be more threads demanding punishment for alliances. There is already one person in this thread complaining about guilds on their server making conquest alliances.

Out of interest, what is your guild called?

Yet you have written about my guild specifically in this thread 5 times already and keep demanding we are punished.

You can only see things from your own point of view and keep making suggestions from there. Like you talk about the alliance of guilds. What about the guilds that get excluded from the alliance. The next thing will be more threads demanding punishment for alliances. There is already one person in this thread complaining about guilds on their server making conquest alliances.

Out of interest, what is your guild called?

Would it help if I listed all the other large guilds? Or does it make more sense to point at the one hogging the small planets every week? I'm not blaming you, you do what is best for your guild within the system provided by BioWare. That you screw over everyone else in the process is something you have to live with.

What do you mean, get excluded? Everyone can form an alliance, with anyone else. One alliance is full or whatever, create the next one...

... the difference is that what I propose is a possible solution and an upgrade to the existing system, what the poster complained about was backroom dealings between the large guilds to avoid competing against each other.

You did read my post explaining it, right?

I like the idea of restricting very large guilds (with a large number of active/qualifying accounts) to only large and medium conquest planets. I'm in a small guild myself so that would definitely make conquest more interesting/appealing to me.

Alternatively, I think it might be also be fair to have conquest points earned and all targets scaled according to number of active/qualifying accounts. Before anyone picks up their shotguns, let me give an example:

Guild A has 500 qualifying accounts on a large yield planet: personal targets = 15k, guild target = 1130000, points earned = as normal according to personal SH bonus.

Guild B has 500 qualifying accounts on a medium yield planet: personal targets = 7.5k, guild target = 275000, points earned per objective = half of normal according to personal SH bonus.

Guild C has 500 qualifying accounts on a small yield planet: personal targets = 3k, guild target = 40,000, points earned per objective = one fifth of normal according to personal SH bonus.

Ofc the number of qualifying accounts to define small/medium/large guilds will need to be decided. But the idea is that "large" guilds will have their overall numbers scaled down with personal targets while conquering medium and small yield planets, "medium" guilds will have their overall numbers scaled down with personal targets while conquering small yield planets but not scaled up while trying for a large yield planet. All while everyone involved still get their personal/guild rewards with the same amount of effort.

Before the "big guilds" start complaining, it's in all likeliness you'll still win due to "organisation" or hordes of "rampage farmers". It makes it more of a competition (as oppose to face-roll), and apparently "Some people actually enjoy the competitive side".

Joining a large guild temporarily isn't a good solution for everyone. Some people like being in a smaller guild even though it means there's no chance of winning conquest (because there's other more entertaining ways to play this game), but having more planets to choose from, creating more winners each week can't hurt.

All in all, conquest was better before the change; I would like it to be worthwhile once more to complete the same weekly on more than one character per legacy. This has the added benefit of allowing players to stick to what they enjoy/ are good at instead of aiming purely for one-time objectives. I want to do more than one rakghoul/Gree daily or heroic per legacy per day and have it count for points (who else thinks It's silly to travel to an area for one-out-of-six dailies and 150 kills?). Simply put, the "new" system is illogical, shambolic and simply the least rewarding part SWTOR with the exception of RP. I prefer to have the old system back over everything I just spent 10 minutes typing.

If Bioware makes no changes to conquest, I will have to settle for farming conquest players while they do their pvp objectives :D

Edited by Ice_Princess

Lets get real, its not a competition. No idea if that was the intention, nor if it used to work that way, but it really isn't. The very large guilds can simply make agreements with the other 2 very large guilds, and they get a free planet. Big guilds are typically bullys of the top 10 charts, and bully's do not try to go where there is real challenge. Large/Medium/Small guilds do not compete either, they do not try for a planet and the minimum threshold doesn't require competition. CONQUEST ISN'T REALLY A COMPETITION.

That's what I see too. Large guilds simply form alliances, and take turns taking whatever planets they want and there's no competition for the smaller guilds. Really is a defunct system if competition including smaller guilds really was the goal.

My other point seems fairly unpopular which was they need to fix exploits like repeatable rampage quests that are done non-stop. It's utterly ridiculous.

Perhaps it allows a very casual player to max conquest on many different alts, but for the hardcore grinders that spend literally hours a day just repeating this exploited rampage conquest bug it enables them to accrue millions of conquest on a toon or toons.

This bug allows players to circumvent the limit to what a player should be able to accrue in conquest points and the only way others can compete is to use the same exploit. This is total bull crap and not how the contest should be running.