Welcome to Game Update 2.1: Customization

I haven't complained, publicly about this game before.

I have loved it since day one, and I have stood behind the devs a lot while the seemingly entitled consumer base went crazy complaining about everything.

However.

The way the dyes are in this update is freaking ridiculous.

1: Making them a cartel lottery is asinine.

2. Making both primary and secondary on one dye pack is asinine.

3. Making the most popular color combos super-rare is beyond ludicrous.

Customization is supposed to be about fun. It's supposed to be about personalization. It's supposed to be about CUSTOMIZING my character the way I want. Not the way BioWare thinks I want it.

I have had a gripe about the "customization" in this game since launch when their idea of "customizing" our companions was choosing one of 8 available faces for them. I have always wanted to be able to use (what is very much like the current kiosk, or) the character creation setup to customize my companions. I understand why we couldn't, and I accepted it.

Then, over a year later, I finally get teased about an entire update about customization just to be completely let down and fell completely mislead. I haven't been able to do one bit of customizing, (as a subscriber since day one mind you) because I've already used my "free" coins this month.

Cosmetic customizations should be available for credits, and not just coins.

Primary and secondary dye packs should be on separate slots allowing actual customization of our characters. New hair styles should be available for all species, ESPECIALLY if you're making us pay for it with real world money, and there should be tons more. At this point, I refuse to buy the human hair styles, as I will just have to buy them again when they offer them for the other species.

This update is a joke.

I will not unsub due to it, but it has also made me vow to not buy any more coins ever. The least you can do, if you are going to charge us real money for some of this junk, is allow us to purchase exactly what we want with said real money.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also want to say that I get the idea of microtransations. I really do. I have no issue with it in theory.

However. They way this is being handled is beyond ridiculous.

three or four new hairstyles for a couple of hundred coins. For Humans only.

Three new tattoos for only one species. For a couple hundred more coins.

A new species for 600 coins, oh but wait, it's another 700+ to customize that species.

It would cost me almost $20 in real money for me to use this "update" just to fix a few cosmetic things on my characters I've wanted to fix since day one when we were told "barber shops are not something that a new game needs", and to unlock a new species, which, honestly, should have been included in the expansion.

Twenty dollars for just cosmetic changes, and that's not even including the amount it might cost to try and get my sith in black on black clothing.

This is really a bad move on your part BioWare.

I hope you read this thread and allow it to sink in that not one person in this thread is completely happy. There are a very select minority that have been "ok" at best with it.

There are entire threads (on these forums) that were started to do nothing but complain about this that at least have people taking both sides. This update though seems to have a very large portion of the population of this game complaining.

I know the forums are full of complainers, but even in game. I can't find anyone in general chat happy with this update.

I can't find anyone on the RP website I am a part of that is happy with this.

And I am not even talking about people that are 100% happy. I can;t find one person that is 50% happy with this.

Major bad move on BioWare and EA's parts. This update is very poorly thought out and implemented.

At this point, I am hoping we get tossed a bone at some point, as my hope for my future enjoyment of this game is waning big time now.

With the dust settling a little, I am now quite happy at least with the Collections feature (it’s actually working now, for a start!). Still some disappointments, with the dye lottery in particular, but overall happy to have more stuff in the game than before.

cant play because after i log in it just stuck on loading screen :(

For the most part, a crash to desktop during this point is due to memory leak. Try this:

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

1 . Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072"

3. Restart the computer.

I like the new Cathar that they added. Looks great!

As far as the other customizations go though, I think they are a little pricey. Oh well, I don't really play human toons much anyway....

The thing that really mads me is the change with the carbon chamber, kolto tanks, Shan holo's, and Malgus holo's are all bound now. Would have never bought them if I knew they would do this with them. Kind of makes me mad. Those were not exactly rated high on getting, and yet now they are bound....? ***!!!! They should have been more specific with what should have been bound. Or perhaps made them legacy bound instead.

For example: all those items that there are listed over 100+ times on the market and are sold dirt cheap because no one or very few people want them.... Soo much for being known for the carbon freeze guy with as many new toons as I play....

• Dev Post

Howdy, folks. Cory Butler here to follow-up on some of your concerns that have been surfacing in the forums and on social media sites around Game Update 2.1: Customization. First, it's important to know that 2.1 will not affect the cadence of our game update schedule. 2.1 was the second half of our Cartel Market implementation plan. So, do not expect to see this type of Market-driven update on a regular basis. This release was comprised almost entirely of cosmetic options that have no impact on combat balance or gameplay. Vanity modifications are the kinds of things, in general, that we’ve always planned to offer in the Cartel Market for purchase by all players and in some cases, like with Appearance Designer changes, discounted for subscribers -- having said that, we’ve heard some frustration from subscribers that, even with these kinds of offerings, we ought to do more to recognize subscriber status. We hear you loud and clear. Please stay tuned.

To continue on the point of content cadence, I know in a separate post Eric discussed a bit about our cadence and that our plan is for all of you to see content within an 8-week window from Rise of the Hutt Cartel’s launch, I would recommend reading his post for more details, here. What I do want to do is assure you that we have many more things in the works here at BioWare that aren’t Cartel Market features, and are the exact types of content you folks have been asking about. I cannot go into specifics yet but we are definitely working on things like new Flashpoints, Operations, daily hubs, events, PvP, and even the super-secret space project! Game Update 2.1 is just one of the many Updates you will get from us this year and I am really excited about what is still to come and I think you will be too.

Until next time -- see you in-game!

Howdy, folks. Cory Butler here to follow-up on some of your concerns that have been surfacing in the forums and on social media sites around Game Update 2.1: Customization. First, it's important to know that 2.1 will not affect the cadence of our game update schedule. 2.1 was the second half of our Cartel Market implementation plan. So, do not expect to see this type of Market-driven update on a regular basis. This release was comprised almost entirely of cosmetic options that have no impact on combat balance or gameplay. Vanity modifications are the kinds of things, in general, that we’ve always planned to offer in the Cartel Market for purchase by all players and in some cases, like with Appearance Designer changes, discounted for subscribers -- having said that, we’ve heard some frustration from subscribers that, even with these kinds of offerings, we ought to do more to recognize subscriber status. We hear you loud and clear. Please stay tuned.

To continue on the point of content cadence, I know in a separate post Eric discussed a bit about our cadence and that our plan is for all of you to see content within an 8-week window from Rise of the Hutt Cartel’s launch, I would recommend reading his post for more details, here. What I do want to do is assure you that we have many more things in the works here at BioWare that aren’t Cartel Market features, and are the exact types of content you folks have been asking about. I cannot go into specifics yet but we are definitely working on things like new Flashpoints, Operations, daily hubs, events, PvP, and even the super-secret space project! Game Update 2.1 is just one of the many Updates you will get from us this year and I am really excited about what is still to come and I think you will be too.

Maybe next time don't release a cartel market only update.

"I cannot go into specifics yet but we are definitely working on things like new Flashpoints, Operations, daily hubs, events, PvP, and even the super-secret space project! " Pics or it didn't happen.

Thanks Cory, now hearing this from you, I'm excited. Please continue to release worthy game updates where we subscribers will feel that what we're paying is worth it :D

Four flashpoints for level 55 is getting boring, needs more and operations as well. Even without story, as long as there are rewards, etc will be fine. As for the space update, I do hope it will be changed to non-rail.

Again, I'm excited and let's hope this will turn into another empty promises again.

As I mentioned earlier in other threads, I hope the controversy in Game update 2.1 is a wake up call.

Edited by Mark-JPS

But not story content? :(

You've really dropped Class Stories as part of development? I thought that was just a horrible rumour.

!

How about instead of a 'stay tuned', you tell us some actual concrete information on what you are considering? I have two subscriptions that are set to renew in the next couple of days, the lack of any solid information from BioWare on what they plan to offer SUBSCRIBERS, and what they plan to do to rectify the nickel and diming of subscibers via the appearance kiosk, is making me seriously consider cancelling both subscriptions, for the first time ever since launch.

We need real information, not vague promises to tell us more later.

EDIT:

At this point, you guys should have 2.2's content fleshed out.. tell us what will be in 2.2 for Subscribers. Tell us why we should continue to give you $15.00 a month, when 2.1 makes it very apparent that your target audience is CM users, not subscribers?

Edited by Kaywinnit

But not story content? :(

You've really dropped Class Stories as part of development? I thought that was just a horrible rumour.

^^^

future class stories will be the deciding factor in my long term decision on supporting this game.

the selling point of this game for years per-release was the individual class stories. it is why i stuck with the beta forums for years and started playing as soon as the game went live. the lack of said class stories is why i still haven't and have no plans to buy RotHC.

How about a bit of Pvp content? maps etc for once? its becoming ultra boring!!. No point in grinding gear now so at least give us something to log in for.

How about level 50 ops in group finder for level 55s? Not like I've not made a nuisance of myself on here and sent bug reports from every alt every day. Not adding content is one thing but REMOVING content availability from those who only have an hour or 2 a day to play is criminal. Get it sorted!!!

Maybe next time don't release a cartel market only update.

"I cannot go into specifics yet but we are definitely working on things like new Flashpoints, Operations, daily hubs, events, PvP, and even the super-secret space project! " Pics or it didn't happen.

As stated here, on swtorstrategies and all other other major SWTOR Website, this patch would be a Cartel shop update only. I am seriulsy starting to understand this old "jeff Woods" rant

Edited by sakamper

What I do want to do is assure you that we have many more things in the works here at BioWare that aren’t Cartel Market features, and are the exact types of content you folks have been asking about.

With all due respect Cory, people are simply asking for the basics in the 2.1 "Customization" update to be available to subscribers. Not the Cathar, not species changes, but the little things like changing your hair style or getting a tan. People aren't clamoring for new things...they want what you just released without having to be charged RL $ for things like a virtual haircut.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm well aware that subscribers receive their monthly stipend/grant/subsidy/handout or whatever you want to call it of coins - This isn't what players should be asked or expected to spend it on.

Can we please get a confirmation of server transfers shortly, Cory? We've been waiting for months and months and we'd love some confirmation on whether the interview with you that was posted on a fansite is still on track.

For BW's own good, they shouldn't hype this super secret space project up any more than they already have. I hope I'm wrong but given their track record it's bound to be a disappointment riddled with lots of 'one step forward one step backwards' design choices.

With all due respect Cory, people are simply asking for the basics in the 2.1 "Customization" update to be available to subscribers. Not the Cathar, not species changes, but the little things like changing your hair style or getting a tan. People aren't clamoring for new things...they want what you just released without having to be charged RL $ for things like a virtual haircut.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm well aware that subscribers receive their monthly stipend/grant/subsidy/handout or whatever you want to call it of coins - This isn't what players should be asked or expected to spend it on.

Agreed. From BW's perspective however: lots of people have amassed huge amounts of credits plus large amounts of CC from the monthly stipend as lots of folks like me don't spend many CC if at all. They need to find ways of draining this excess and it seems to be working. I'm sure lots of people are spending CC on customizations and collections. And since lots of people are looking to complete their armor set collections, the price of cartel armors on the GTN has gone way up 3x like bracers/belt and various chestpieces, providing an effective credit drain.

What he said!!!! I don't understand having to pay extra for the bare minimums.

I also don't agree with paying 240CC for new hair styles and then being asked to pay MORE just to use it. Bad form.

So many points need to be addressed. I have been angry in the past with some of the things EA/BW has done, but this one has been a disaster. I am sure they are aware of competition that will launch this year. Don't give your customers/subscribers more reason to seek them out.

Agreed. From BW's perspective however: lots of people have amassed huge amounts of credits plus large amounts of CC from the monthly stipend as lots of folks like me don't spend many CC if at all. They need to find ways of draining this excess and it seems to be working. I'm sure lots of people are spending CC on customizations and collections. And since lots of people are looking to complete their armor set collections, the price of cartel armors on the GTN has gone way up 3x like bracers/belt and various chestpieces, providing an effective credit drain.

Do you understand what credit sink is? Price going up on GTN isn't a credit sink. Nothing in 2.1 is credit sink. Its a bunch CC sink.

A credit sink is NOT transfer credits from one player to another via GTN. A credit sink is removing modes. Had the kioskused credits instead of CC THEN there word have been a new credit sink.

I cannot go into specifics yet

but we are definitely working on things like new Flashpoints, Operations, daily hubs, events, PvP, and even the super-secret space project!

You just did, bro, if that isn't entering into specifics then I don't know what to say...

Keep up the good work! :rak_03:

Edited by yoomazir

cannot go into specifics yet but we are definitely working on things like new Flashpoints, Operations, daily hubs, events, PvP, and even the super-secret space project!

I am a very happy person indeed, I always loved for Bioware to expand upon the space combat. This is just a re-affirmation, I know that--but it still fills me with much relief.

I hope this post implies they are also working on Chapter 5--even if released with the next expansion--which I think I am looking more forward to than a new ops or fp.

Edited by Kameki

It seems like another reply with nothing but the same smile and promises to string subscribers along without actually saying anything new, or addressing the criticism. Honestly, until 2.1 I was happy to be a subscriber, and also happy to kick some extra money into CC purchases. It wasn't until the complete deception of the description of the collection system that I started to feel undervalued, and lied to.

I can deal with the crappy way you implemented Armor Dyes, but to outright lie on the example given for what seems like the major part of this patch less than two weeks before it rolled out is exactly what has people pissed off. To ignore that, without even giving an explanation as to what happened, and why, is telling. It seems EA is actively trying to threepeat that worst company in America award.