2.1 page update. Is this all? Nothing there for subscribers?

IF that were the case....being a mature adult.. I would agree with anyone who states that the patch was 100% cartel content.

If it were actually not the case, but someone insisted or conflated that it was anyway, I would disagree with them and state specifics as to why I disagree.

Anyone however who threw a temper tantrum about it.. they are on their own. Me, I'll wait for the next patch, like an adult.

But ultimately you'd be perfectly OK with it and whatever else the devs do to the game, right?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know what will be introduced in this content patch that doesn't involve the Cartel Market at all. Right now, that seems to be about half the dyes. If that is it, it would seem to signal a significant departure from the structure of content patches previously and would be something the community team would be wise to clarify.

Funny, I hear the same sort complaint from PvPers when a PvE only patch drops. Or vice versa. Demands and complaints about why was one type of content focused on and other types ignored in a major patch.

My point? Even if it was a very cartel centric patch, if they follow established pattern, the next patch will be focused on some other main aspect of the game. That's pretty much how they have been patching since last summer.

The objective fact is that the content teased out to us so far has been on the players "most popular, want this now" lists in the forums for months, for many.. since launch. So I for one see the positive of them actually bringing much asked for content into the game. The real griping here.. which is drowning out much in the way of fair acknoweldgement of what I state here... is many people hate the Cartel Market.. so anything (no matter how much it is desired or wanted) that comes to us via this route is going to get ganked and ganked hard in the forums.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the CCM. I rarely use it. When I do, I simply draw from my large stash of saved coins from subbing. I can't get too worked up if something comes from the CCM (most of which ends up on the GTN anyway) or it's on some random vendor in game or on a random loot table. Being in game is more important to me then how it gets there. And I understand not everyone agrees with me on this.

Bug fixes / tweaks are not the meat of patches, nor have they been the focus of major patches.

I agree with you on this part. That part of a pactch falls under "ongoing maintenance" IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Hyperbole and the OP aside (I'm not a forum scholar, nor do I particularly care about a poster's trends), the general question is a valid one.

Content development has been described to us as largely separate from Cartel Market updates. Overlap is certainly expected given the state of the game, and honestly, I really do not have an issue with any of the features being introduced involving the Cartel Market (though I wish some had credit alternatives, ie, kiosk).

I'd like to know what will be introduced in this content patch that doesn't involve the Cartel Market at all. Right now, that seems to be about half the dyes. If that is it, it would seem to signal a significant departure from the structure of content patches previously and would be something the community team would be wise to clarify.

Bug fixes / tweaks are not the meat of patches, nor have they been the focus of major patches.

Sorry, need to throw in some perspective here. How quickly people forget...

We just got a major content update. Sure we had to pay $10 for it, but there's a whole lot of content there behind that $10. I enjoyed the Makeb story line and I'm digging the new hard mode flashpoints. I've always loved Athiss and Hammer Station. Now... I absolutely freaking HATE Athiss and it's great! I'm sure others enjoy similar and different aspects of it.

Anyway, yeah, recent content update. Then they did a bug fix update. Now they're doing a Cartel Market update. Next up will hopefully be the rumored Quality of Life update. Then one would imagine the cycle repeats and we get some new content - a flash point, a raid, a war zone, something.

Is that what's really going to happen? Heck, I bet even the devs don't know yet. I'm sure they have a plan, but plans can change.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that we did just get a nice beefy content update.

They do need to keep the Cartel Market updated and fresh and they need to keep adding more features to it. We may not universally love it, but that is the business model this game is using and that's going to be the reality probably until they decide to close the game. I don't begrudge the Cartel Market players their patch in the sun, so long as what goes around, comes around.

Edited by DarthTHC

Funny, I hear the same sort complaint from PvPers when a PvE only patch drops. Or vice versa. Demands and complaints about why was one type of content focused on and other types ignored in a major patch.

My point? Even if it was a very cartel centric patch, if they follow established pattern, the next patch will be focused on some other main aspect of the game. That's pretty much how they have been patching since last summer.

The major difference here is that the major content patches have been described as not being majorly Cartel patches. We've been told development is separate, and we've been told what to expect from a content patch.

This is what I want clarification on. I want to know if we are to no longer expect a content patch to be defined as it previously was.

But ultimately you'd be perfectly OK with it and whatever else the devs do to the game, right?

As I commented above, I am very happy to see content that is clearly on the "we want it badly and now!" list for many come into the game. Method of entry matters little to me as long as they do not make it prohibitively difficult to get to.

The prices we know about so far for 2.1 CCM content are lower then I (and many) expected. So... they are not doing a deliberate attempt to gouge IMO. Subs have coins (regardless of their personal view about how/why they get them.. they get them every month they sub) ... so the real burden they place with the CCM is on non-subs, which is how it should be. Yeah, I understand that the anti-CCM crowd will say 1CC is too much. They are entitled to their opinions, and I am entitled to disagree. [ooo..lookie there... double entitlements :p .....note however that my use of valid entitlement was one of peoples opinions, not game content demands]

Edited by Andryah

I'm going to create a drinking game based on trolls using the latest burn. Six months ago it was, "lazy". Now it's entitled. If I took a shot for each time some troll parroted the entitled insult I would be b0mbed by now. Just in this thread alone.

Dear EA employee/shareholder/apologist,

I'm a subscriber. I EXPECT their to be updates as part of that subscription. I'm paying for your game.

good for you. you have expectations.

Are they meeting them?

Then unsubscribe and stop whining.

You don't want to? You want them to give you something?

Take a sec to look up "entitlement" in the dictionary friend. LOL

It would be nice if they at least released a blog explaining why they had to make these changes, instead of just acting like these were their plans all along. It scares me to think what their strategy will be like in a year from now.

I figured the mass exodus of players a year ago followed by the resignation of many key devlopers and staff members (not to mention the retirement of both founders from BioWare altogether) would have been a key explanation as to why things have changed. by august of last year this game was thought to have been circling the drain. Its on the rebound and folks will have to be happy with the fact the game is starting to make a comeback and will hopefully rise up in content to the sub status it managed to reach.

good for you. you have expectations. Are they meeting them? Then unsubscribe and stop whining. You don't want to? You want them to give you something? Take a sec to look up "entitlement" in the dictionary friend. LOL

Bluntly put, but 100% agreed.

Heaven forbid that someone should have the indecency to actually voice a negative opinion.

Should such an occassion arrise said person should be forever banished from the game with all due haste.

EAware would never seek to simply maximise profits at the expense of quality content, everyone knows this as fact.

EAware would never seek to simply maximise profits at the expense of quality content, everyone knows this as fact.

Maximizing profits is what for-profit companies do. BioWare/EA/LucasArts/Disney are no different from any other company.

Edited by branmakmuffin

good for you. you have expectations.

Are they meeting them?

Then unsubscribe and stop whining.

You don't want to? You want them to give you something?

Take a sec to look up "entitlement" in the dictionary friend. LOL

To be fair, last time I checked this game is a vehicle for profit, not a religion. If a customer feels that some things should be expected for the money they pay...well...as a business its pretty important to know exactly what that might be, and if it is a widespread expectation.

Consumers are not "spoiled" or "entitled". They are "value-added" and "price-conscious". No business is entitled to patronage under ANY definition.

And if one wants to use the "if you dont like it, leave" mantra, might I remind everyone that that is, in fact, what 3/4s of the player base did before F2P/Cartel launched. In less than a year.

Let's not invite folks to leave. Let's instead encourage them to discuss their concerns and state their grievances in a forum designed for that very purpose. I would like this game to survive and thrive if you don't mind, and it will likely not survive depending on folks that have nothing but love for the game....the recent past stands in evidence to that.

Edited by LordArtemis

Consumers are not "spoiled" or "entitled". They are "value-added" and "price-conscious". No business is entitled to patronage under ANY definition.

Some posters come across as petulant, whiny and demanding (a la "Get your s*** together, BW!") . That serves no one because no one beyond a CR employee is going to see those posts.

Some posters come across as petulant, whiny and demanding (a la "Get your s*** together, BW!") . That serves no one because no one beyond a CR employee is going to see those posts.

It is wise to measure your suggestions in a palatable way if you don't want to turn the devs off. I think, had the discussion about the game's problems early on been more of a discussion and less a discourse or open battle we could have seen many of these changes before now.

I would say that it does seem like the devs are listening.

This upcoming patch may not be the content some players were expecting ... but is is "content."

I don't see many people expressing a revulsion to the kiosk additions or dyes - only the fact that

many things are purchased with Cartel Coins.

So ?

Subscribers get free coins plus subscribers get a discount on purchases. So in many cases (could) = free.

If the character makeover system is broken or otherwise sux or the dyes have dodgy effects, then I'll

be the first to complain about it. We all must wait and see what happens.

1) never sweat little stuff

2) realize it's all little stuff

3) Plum Island Animal Disease Center is never a suitable vacation spot

To be fair, last time I checked this game is a vehicle for profit, not a religion. If a customer feels that some things should be expected for the money they pay...well...as a business its pretty important to know exactly what that might be, and if it is a widespread expectation.

And if one wants to use the "if you dont like it, leave" mantra, might I remind everyone that that is, in fact, what 3/4s of the player base did before F2P/Cartel launched. In less than a year.

Let's not invite folks to leave. Let's instead encourage them to discuss their concerns and state their grievances in a forum designed for that very purpose. I would like this game to survive and thrive if you don't mind, and it will likely not survive depending on folks that have nothing but love for the game....the recent past stands in evidence to that.

Well said. The point of running a business is to make money, true, but what you make is only worth what your consumers are willing to pay for it. Value is not absolute, it is subjective. If one person says a feature of this game is not worth the cost EA puts on it, that is a fact, at least to them. If someone then comes along and tells that person "you are wrong, this is the way it is, live with it or shove off!", the offender is the one making the latter statement. The consumer is not being "entitled" or "petulant", they are stating what they believe the item is worth to them, it's value. If you dissagree, that is fine, but you are being rude by telling them they are wrong, because to them, they are not wrong.

That asside, freedom of speech and opinion will be brought up here for sure (the "that's my opinion" thing), which is fine. Remember, though, that society runs on civility and cooperation. Sure, you can say whatever you want here because your face is not seen and so on, but constructive opinion expression will get everyone further. Attacking someone with label words like entitled and so forth will only make things worse.

Personaly, I think this thing should have been separated in two, the most "basic" features like hair style and colour be for simple credits with the options being the ones from the basic creation system. After that any new styles/colours and tatoos and such be sold in packages on the CM for a moderate cost in CC. If they wanted to milk it in a way most would be ok with, make it an unlock on the CM for f2p accounts for CC. With that model, we could change simple things from the basic selections for credits, and if you wanted to go custom-crazy, you had the options from the CM; which could be CM updates which would be easy to produce and make the experience a "do as you want/would like to afford" thing.

Devs, nudge nudge, wink wink. Eh? Eh?

They said they wanted to work on some Quality of Life issues after the launch of Makeb. I love the fact that we'll be able to change our appearences, but I would've loved it more if they actually took time to fix bugs. They can say whetever the hell they want in their "State of the game" posts (which is just PR speech anyways) but this game is not getting many bug-fixes. Whenever there's a new patch, they break something, and very rarely do they bother to fix it.

Well, I have faith that if the feedback is strong enough against this change and they note some kind of impact on player totals they will probably adjust accordingly.

I take this based on the fact that they adjusted F2P more than once based on what I believe was customer feedback in the forums. I think it's in the sweet spot now (though I still don't like a few things about it, but concede they are probably necessary to keep gold sellers out and a sub a desirable option) and that is thanks to Bioware being willing, in this late hour, to listen to it's customers.

So I say that all players that have concerns about this should continue to express their views on the matter. Bioware absolutely depends on that feedback, and has indicated so directly more than once. And frankly I'm going to take Bioware's stance that all feedback is vital and desired over a community member's opinion that feedback hurts the game or doesn't belong any day of the week.

It's their baby. They know best.

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

Page no longer features "coming soon" details. Is this all we can expect from 2.1? Where is the content subscribers are paying for? Is there anything in the update we won't be charged extra? Twenty dyes for players to craft won't really cut it.

Well we do get this.

NOTE: Subscribers receive a discount on Appearance Designer purchases.

NOTE: Subscribers receive one free Character Rename, Legacy Rename, and Guild Rename per account.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I wanted to specifically address the concern of “what is a subscriber getting in an all Cartel Market update?” Game Update 2.1 brings a whole lot of customization and convenience features to the game which have been requested for quite some time, such as character name changes etc. As we have stated in the past, we always design systems like this knowing that subscribers will be receiving Cartel Coins each month, and certainly more options for your monthly Cartel Coin grant can’t be a bad thing!

I think the core of some of your frustrations is that you feel like Game Update 2.1 is “eating up a slot” for our regular content cadence, and because of that, you won’t actually be receiving any new content in this “cycle.” I figure the best way to address that is to lay out a bit of a road map of what the next few weeks looks like! This will help especially if you are only looking at what you are getting within one “content cycle.” As I have done in the past, I need to make it clear that everything I am about to say is our current plan and that it is subject to change, but I want to give you as many details as I can! Here is our current plan:

• Game Update 2.1 will release on Tuesday, May 14th
  • Game Update 2.2 will release on Tuesday, June 11th

If you are keeping track and we hit those dates, Game Update 2.2 will releasing 8 weeks and 2 days from the time we released Rise of the Hutt Cartel (so basically around our 8 week cadence that is often referenced). What that means is that even though I can’t yet tell you what is in Game Update 2.2, you are getting two Game Updates within that period. I will say this: Game Update 2.2 has no new Cartel Market features… Also, both of these Game Updates will come with the usual bug fixes, quality of life improvements, etc. which you have come to expect (reference the patch notes for more info).

I know many of you will reserve full judgment until you see what happens over the next few weeks. I hope getting a little bit more information on our timeline will help alleviate your concerns. I have stated before that our Cartel Market and content teams are two very different things internally, which is why we can have these two Game Updates release so close together. Hopefully that provides some insight into our plans!

TLDR – If you’re concerned that Game Update 2.1 is taking up space in our content cadence and only contains Cartel Market stuff, fear not, Game Update 2.2 is coming sooner than you would expect!

-eric

PS – The Gree Enclave wanted me to pass on that they will be returning soon…

Appreciate the roadmap, just hope people will understand it if 2.2 gets delayed for a few weeks if necessary

Personally I'm content with 2.1 if 2.2 will arrive about 4 weeks after, Rise of the Hutt cartel was a large content update

Edited by SNCommand

Again they reiterate that subscribers' cartel coins are an allowance they design against rather than a gift.

Again they announce that the Gree are coming back "soon" in response to player complaints of lack of new content.

Edited by DarthTHC

Again they reiterate that subscribers' cartel coins are an allowance they design against rather than a gift.

Again they announce that the Gree are coming back "soon" in response to player complaints of lack of new content.

OMG! Anyone who thinks that our monthly allowance of CC is not considered when putting stuff out for Cartel Market is a fool. I have 2 kids and i do it with my own kids. I give them a fixed amount of $ and when they ask for something i tell them well if you save up on that allowance we might help you get it.

As for -eric : Thanks again for the improvement on communication. Seeing a more fast paced than every 6-8 weeks is good even though it's divided in two departments. 2 updates ( 1 CM and 1 content ) in the 6-8 week window is better than 1.

Just one question though when are you gonna use PTS for the updates regularly ? 2 possible reason for me to use PTS. First is to help out on bugs but second is to get ahead and get prepared for when it goes live. I've been racking up on basic comms and mats on my artificer to make sure i'll be able to make all dyes but i still not sure what it'll take. lvl 55 mats or lvl 50 mats ?