Update on Ilum Open World PvP issues

GabeAmatangelo

• Dev Post

Hello everyone; I wanted to update you on the issues we’ve been seeing today on the live servers, specifically within the Open World PvP area on Ilum. We’re aware that on some servers, either Republic or Empire groups have been capturing the Ilum control points, entering the enemy’s base and ‘camping’ the medcenters, preventing the opposite faction from leaving their base to recapture control points. This is not a fair or balanced gameplay experience and can also severely affect client performance, so we’re taking steps to address this.

Our intended design for Ilum Open World PvP is that players are instantly killed when entering the enemy’s base safe area, just like in Warzones, and that the defending faction can take taxis to other points within the zone. In Game Update 1.1, this is not working as intended. We have found the issue preventing this from happening under server load and will be publishing a patch to address the issue. We’re aiming to have this patch published early tomorrow morning (January 19th, 5 AM US CST). [Note, please check the launcher and the main thread for the latest information on patch deployment timing -JG]

In addition to these changes, we’ll be reducing the population cap on Ilum. This should help increase performance by requiring your client to render fewer characters on-screen at once.

Regarding Valor gains, with the 1.1 update, players now receive a base reward of 20 Valor per unique enemy player defeated in a short time, and this base reward is modified by the number of objectives that the player’s faction owns. The gains are rate limited per player killed, encouraging players to attack unique players, not to pursue vendettas. The Valor gains players can see over time will vary greatly depending on the activity level in the zone. This is expected.

To dispel a couple of rumors that have been seen today – there is no Valor gain from destroying turrets within enemy bases, and none from killing NPCs.

We encourage players to avoid Ilum until our patch is deployed. As a temporary measure we will be disabling taxi services which would normally take players into the Open World PvP area. However, players will still be able to taxi out of the area.

We will continue to monitor Ilum across all servers and will make further changes to gameplay if required. We welcome your feedback here on the Forums, but please ensure your feedback is constructive and specific. Feedback based on rumor does not help us isolate potential issues.

Update: Please see Associate Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez's update below:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to be clear and let you all know that we’re definitely aware of individuals who took extreme advantage of this situation and we will be carefully evaluating and taking action as necessary.

Edited by JovethGonzalez

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to these changes, we’ll be reducing the population cap on Ilum. This should help increase performance by requiring your client to render fewer characters on-screen at once.

How about you fix your engine? Performance in this game is horrible.

+No rollback? Are you kidding me?

Edited by CalvinDu

So no rollback on valor...? I gained 3 levels by JUST doing my daily. Guess the 50 levels before that were a complete waste. I could have just waited until today to farm my valor. Edited by Taral

what about the 600-1000 valor/ minute gained by those camping? oh well everyone is valor 60 now?

EDIT to the guy above: if you think no one gained insane valor, you didn't go out there.

Edited by Kirbyg

We encourage players to avoid Ilum until our patch is deployed. As a temporary measure we will be disabling taxi services which would normally take players into the Open World PvP area. However, players will still be able to taxi out of the area.

Encourage?

This is the update and official response on the state of Ilum?

Wow.

Don't ignore the fact that massive faction imbalance makes it pointless for Republic to even consider going to Ilum. Or the fact that controlling bases means next to nothing when you're outnumbered 30:1.

Ilum is a massive fail. BioWare needs to get their head on straight and ADMIT THAT THEY FAILED.

These "fixes" are a band-aid on a broken leg.

What about the valor gains? You going to leave those in? Now all of these people who had the day off, exploiting the spawn camp since the servers went up, gaining multiple valor levels, if not tens of multiple will be rewarded for their efforts while the rest of us suffer.

I'm glad efforts are being made in a hurry but a rush job is what got us here in the first place. This is a fruitless change that did nothing but reward exploiters, just like the initial early access wave. A roll back was the only fix I could possibly see, be it valor only or even server.