Can I switch roles?

stoicshot

There are a couple ways to reset your character specializing. There is a legacy perk you can purchase for 200k credits called field respecialization. This allows you to change your spec at will outside of combat or warzones. Once you purchase this perk, simply open your specialization window and hit the abandon button to reset it.

The second way is to visit the skill mentor NPC on the fleet which is located in the combat training area in the last room past the class trainers. He will reset your specialization upon request.

Subscribers can change their specialization at will for no credit cost (except for the one time cost for the legacy perk). Free to play have to cough up credits when they change it I believe.

If you're a pure DPS class, then you can only change the type of DPS you are.

( Sniper, Gunslinger, Sentinel, Marauder)

The rest are DPS / heal OR DPS / tank. No advanced class does all three roles, but all have small self-heals and Defensive cooldowns which won't heal you a huge amount or mitigate huge damage, but will be okay for casual group play and the occasional oh ****! moment.

Your companions can switch from tank to DPS to heals, so if playing solo, you can change their role to compliment your own.

OFC you can have several characters for differing roles if you're in a group or guild that needs to fill certain gaps.

hope that answers your question.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I've heard it said it's apropos to level a dps toon for time same and then switch to heals, tank. How exactly is this done?

Basically, level up your character as DPS until you get to level 70 (or whatever level you wish) and then visit the Skill Mentor on the Fleet to change your discipline to Heals or Tank (whichever is available for your class).

You can also start out as Heals, but use a heals companion and use your damage skills. This takes a bit longer because you won't do as much damage, but then you can occasionally heal to practice for later.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

The second way is to visit the skill mentor NPC on the fleet which is located in the combat training area in the last room past the class trainers. He will reset your specialization upon request.

I'm there now. The room's totally devoid of NPCs. What gives??

I'm there now. The room's totally devoid of NPCs. What gives??

Those folks were there four years ago, and the game has changed since then.

The NPC was removed with 7.0. You can now change anywhere that's classed as "Sanctuary" just by using the updated character panel. If you have the Field Respc perk on the character (it's a per-character perk located in the "Character" page of the Legacy panel, way far down at the bottom, requiring you to scroll), you can change anywhere in the open world so long as you aren't in combat.

Exceptions:

* You can't change discipline or combat style while you are in a queue of any kind. Warzones, GSF (maybe, not clear), Group Finder flashpoints/operations/uprisings, whatever.

* You can't change *in* a flashpoint/operation/uprising, nor in a Warzone.

* You can't change in combat.