Struggling VS Gunships.

Varindran

I'm a noob a GSF but i'm having a really hard time fighting good gunships. Feels like most matches are decided by whichever team has the better gunship users. I can never get close enough to take one down if they see me coming usually get shot down in a single hit. if i do close the gap they are incredibly durable and they have full fuel to escape and reposition. As well as their team to cover for them.

Kinda depends on the match type, and what ship/components you're using. Though if you're new and don't have fully upgraded (or close to it) ships yet, I'd recommend staying away from fighting gunships for the time being.

Keep in mind they have a firing range of 15km, so try to monitor the positions of enemy gunships if you can and stay out of their range. Bit of an acquired skill, but match/map awareness is a big part of not getting hit by them.

If you are going to take a dig at them, don't approach them head-on unless you absolutely have to, that typically doesn't end well. That's not to say it can't be done, but it generally isn't a good idea, unless there's a sizable discrepancy between you and them in terms of skill/components. Try to come at them from the sides, behind, above or below, which will typically force them to start moving away. Chasing them off can be a victory in itself even if you don't kill them, the time it takes them to run away, regen their engine power, then move back into position is time they aren't spending shooting at your team.

Running full sensor dampening can help get closer without being spotted, and this ties into the previous point about approaching from an angle. Try to pick a path around the enemy team to evade detection, sit at about 20km from your target to regen your engine power (in cover if possible), then boost in from 18km or so to attack. Also worth checking the map/tabbing through the closest targets before beginning your attack run just to make sure no-one is lining you up in return. Try to work out an escape vector as well, so you can bail quickly when you need to.

Weapons with good burst tend to be the best choice for attacking gunships, because you may not have time to wear them down with anything else. Burst Lasers + Rocket Pods on the Sting/Flashfire are a safe bet, as is the Ion/Quad Laser + Heavy Laser combo on the Rycer/Starguard. If you're using missiles, try to hold off locking them until you've starting shooting at them, starting the lock at max range only serves to tip them off that they're about to be attacked, though if you're running something like the Blackbolt/Novadive with EMP and Thermite Torps you can sometimes get away with it. Having damage boosting abilities equipped also helps to maximize your burst window. If you're having trouble with the gunship running off before you can kill it, then movement/energy inhibiting abilities might also be useful. And if it's TDM, the engine recharge & damage overcharge powerups are rather handy if you can grab them.

As for their team covering them, there's not much you can do about that except try to co-ordinate your own team-mates in response. Good luck with that though. Ultimately, if you want to hit gunships you have to pick your moment, which comes with practice and experience. Watch the map and keep an eye on where everyone is, if you can get around or through their lines to attack, fantastic, but if not then it's best to hang back out of their range and try to support your team instead. Having said that, they are usually easier to get at in Domination than TDM, given the more spread out nature of the fighting.

Attempting to get at them in the Giant Blob of Cancerous Stupidity that is 12v12 TDM is an exercise in futility and frustration, so I wouldn't even bother in that case, it's not worth the hassle of spending all match getting chased around by a gaggle of insufferable dingleberries in Strike Fighters holding down their right mouse buttons.

Quoting myself here:

When facing a gunship line, watch your cooldowns and approach.

This is really only a TDM tactic, but it's not hard to counter. Don't, under any circumstances, charge a gunship line from the front. Plan your route, grab powerups on your way, and circle around behind the gunship line. Save your cooldowns until you're in the fight, and know your escape route ahead of time.

By doing it this way, you force the gunships on the enemy team to move, or you kill them. Even if you can't kill them, you made them stop shooting, and that's a contribution. If this doesn't work, look at team compositions. If your team doesn't have a decent gunship, consider filling the role.

Despon's post about exactly this subject remains relevant. The first post in this thread was fine too.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

I'm a noob a GSF but i'm having a really hard time fighting good gunships. Feels like most matches are decided by whichever team has the better gunship users. I can never get close enough to take one down if they see me coming usually get shot down in a single hit. if i do close the gap they are incredibly durable and they have full fuel to escape and reposition. As well as their team to cover for them.

Approach wide, come in from the side/behind.

NovaDive/Blackbolt with Laser Cannons, Rocket Pods, Targeting Telemetry and Wingman can be efficient Gunship antidotes.

• 5 months later...

I specifically make a scout as a "Gunship Hunter"... Boost, lots of engine power, rocket pods (fully)upgraded to double silo and 1.2 sec lock, keep the running in terror! As soon as the chase begins slice them. get anywhere other than in front and shoot. Gunships cannot outfly scouts. They are literally designed to take down gunships. The problem you may run into is a good team backs their gunships up.

I personally like rapid laser with increase in freq. Sub mach laser, lol