[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup

I think that means, if you don't have shae or don't use her, then for ranged damage, a dual wielding blaster companion would be your next best bet. But a higher leveled dual wielding melee companion will deal more damage than that ranged dual wielder.

Or maybe it means "Shae and dual-wielding guys are the best ranged DPS companions... I'd love to get clarification from the OP on that"

Here are the findings in the OP's words, lightly edited:

1. Shae Vizla is the highest DPS companion in the game right now, parsing over 10k

2. Companions with 2 light sabers parse 8900+ such as Master Ranos, Ashara or Veeroa

3. Any companion with 2 blaster Pistols will be excellent for DPS, parsing 8600+. Q0-77, Nico, Vette, Hamdil Tre, Theron Shan, Andronikos Revel and Ensign Temple (before her respawn).

Here are the findings in the OP's words, lightly edited:

1. Shae Vizla is the highest DPS companion in the game right now, parsing over 10k

2. Companions with 2 light sabers parse 8900+ such as Master Ranos, Ashara or Veeroa

3. Any companion with 2 blaster Pistols will be excellent for DPS, parsing 8600+. Q0-77, Nico, Vette, Hamdil Tre, Theron Shan, Andronikos Revel and Ensign Temple (before her respawn).

Oh I think I got it, it was right in front of me the whole time :

Q0-77, Nico, Vette, Hamdil Tre, Theron Shan, Andronikos Revel and Ensign Temple (before her respawn) all use 2 blaster pistols and are top Ranged DPS after Shae

So for those who don't have Shae, those are the best range DPS, but Veeroa or Ashara are better DPS overall (they might just need a little longer to switch target though).

Somehow the word 'ranged' didn't make it through to my brain.

For those who don't want to bother with this stuff - for 99.9% of anything you'll do in PvE with a companion, it doesn't matter which companion you use. Unless, of course, your character is seriously under-geared, or under spec'd.

The other .1% of the time, which companion is best, is situational.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 2 weeks later...
How up to date are parses? For example are Z0-0M and after him K1-Z3N still best pure healing companions?

Shae is still by far the best dps. Z0-0M, I think, still provides the best healing, but I'm not fully sure

• 2 weeks later...

I would also really like to see how Altuur compares to other companions. Since there's a cartel discount right now, unlocking him for all characters is 50% off for the next couple weeks.

I'm very curious about how he performs in DPS, heals, and tanking. I see he has a buff in all 3 modes that causes an enemy to take 10% more damage (and the healing buff even heals the player whenever the player damages a target). But of course we don't know if this buff is actually working correctly unless someone tests it.

I'll put together some tests soon for Altuur.

The 10% damage increase does seem to work, from very quick testing. Its not 100% uptime, so I want to test taskmaster to see if that changes it.

His stun is also his AOE, so that's kind of cool/weird/new.

I'm live streaming (on youtube) 1-75 speed run while double XP is going on, but once that's done I'll work on his parses/testing video.

Edited by KevMeup

• 4 weeks later...

While it's certainly good to know it does not seem game breaking.

I like T7 and agonized a bit over to switch to Z0-0m, but after finding the charts it's just 7.3% behind the advised dual blasters in damage and nearly no difference in healing.

While 7.3% isn't bad it's not huge either. Shae, yeah, that one is a beast and should be nabbed when possible.

Hi folks.

Recently returned, so lots of changes has happened since I last played. Which brings a few questions that I can't seem to find a proper answer to, so hoping some of you can help:

Veeroa and Ashara. I have those comps, but the OP states in the "Most Effective Companions by Stance" section

Veeroa gets a very minor bonus from darkside not having a delay on kill shot.

Is that darkside bonus a leftover from pre-KOTFE changes?

If so, does that mean Ashara doesn't gain any benefit from Lightside either, even though it's listed in the Parsing section?

If they do still get some benefit, could someone please explain what and how? :D

And on that note, Veeroa doesn't have a Kill Shot, which is logical since she's a saber user, so I assume I'm supposed to look at Finishing Strike instead. In the Known Bugs section, Light users are supposed to have a channeled kill shot, but Ashara has the exact same Finishing Strike, same range, same cooldown, as Veeroa, no channel or anything. And their stuns are identical as well, same duration. Is that also a pre-KOTFE thing?

My focus on these two isn't so much because they're "the best" I have available, but more because I'd rather use Ashara over Veeroa. If there's still a difference in performance based on dark/light, I'd like to take advantage of it. Of course, I may have misunderstood something, so please, someone enlighten me :D

I'll put together some tests soon for Altuur.

The 10% damage increase does seem to work, from very quick testing. Its not 100% uptime, so I want to test taskmaster to see if that changes it.

His stun is also his AOE, so that's kind of cool/weird/new.

I'm live streaming (on youtube) 1-75 speed run while double XP is going on, but once that's done I'll work on his parses/testing video.

I will be very interested to see your results regarding Altuur. I am not a huge fan of his "behaviors," but if he is, indeed, one of the better companions, perhaps I'll give him a second look! Thanks for all you do!

• 1 month later...

The guide says that Ensign Temple is good, but there is note that it is before her respawn. What does that mean? What happened after her respawn?

I have her on my assassin who finished all the story and she still seems to dual wield. I want to use her for healing, but I'm not sure if something was compromised.

• 2 months later...
....If there's still a difference in performance based on dark/light, I'd like to take advantage of it. Of course, I may have misunderstood something, so please, someone enlighten me :D

If you hover over Veeroa's Finishing Strike, you'll see it says "Instant" up top.

If you hover over Master Ranos's Finishing Strike, you'll see "Activation: 0.98s" up top.

The difference is super minor, I spent half a night parsing just trying to confirm there was a difference and then what it was. I believe that finishing strike difference is consistent between all light and dark users.

How about Nuray from Nightlife event? what does he do best? and where at the parse is he compared to top companions atm?

He's listed under assault cannon in video. Rating 9 of 15 (if you count shae). 8677 mid dps. He's not bad at all. It's fun to have a different looking companion, especially on the imp side where you don't see cannons often. Standard, non bugged ranged comp.

The guide says that Ensign Temple is good, but there is note that it is before her respawn. What does that mean? What happened after her respawn?...

I had some strange issues with getting her to equip her second pistol after her return, I think it's resolved now though, so she should be fine.

If you hover over Veeroa's Finishing Strike, you'll see it says "Instant" up top.

If you hover over Master Ranos's Finishing Strike, you'll see "Activation: 0.98s" up top.

Thanks for the reply, hadn't noticed this (I need new glasses! :D)

Now I see that I misread the dark/light bit. I mistook it for Character alignment, not Companion. As in, if my char was Dark and I used Veeroa, I/she would gain a bonus, but not if I used her on my Light char. I get it now. Thanks, and I do hope you update this thing with 7.0 :)

Edited by Ambrodel

Hey Kev, nice to see you active in this thread again. Have you had any time to parse Altuur yet? From what I've seen he does really nice DPS and has some unique abilties that do well but would like to see parsed numbers.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if am nercoing ,but i just came back to the game from 2013.

What does Ashara (light side) mean? Is there a difference ,as in different abilities ?Also are you referring to your

character's allignment?I am playing a Sith Sorcerer btw.

Thanks alot

Hey Kev, nice to see you active in this thread again. Have you had any time to parse Altuur yet? From what I've seen he does really nice DPS and has some unique abilties that do well but would like to see parsed numbers.

TLDR; He's Number 2 rating on everything.

(just intime before xpac)