Weapons in Outfitter on the PTS

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Weapons in Outfitter is now live on the PTS! For this specific feature, we are looking for the following feedback:

• Is the use of the feature intuitive?
  • Are there any points in using the feature where information, flow, or general understanding of how things work confusing?
  • If the flow of how the feature currently works is confusing, let us know how you how you believe it should work
  • Please also report any general bugs

The Status Update/Known Issues post has been updated to include info about Weapons in Outfitter and any adjustments made to the R-4 bosses, so please read through that before jumping into PTS.

Use this thread to submit feedback on Weapons in Outfitter.

Please continue to use the R-4 bosses threads to submit feedback on your experiences in those fights.

IP-CPT

Watchdog

Lord Kanoth

Thank you!

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello I made quick test on PT.

First it might be problem to find a weapon as cartel market and collections are not usable. I had luck to have a blaster in cargo hold.

Intuitivness is I guess OK. I honestly would prefer "activate" button when changing outfit. And also the button to commit changes to outfit is not that good visible. That green button in old outfitter was more intuitive.

One issue is color crystal. Weapon outfitter does not take color of the crystal which is in outfitted weapon nor crystal color of the equiped wapon. It is using most likely default color of weapon beam/blast.

I put purple crystal to outfitted weapon (tested also with green crystal)

I have white crystal in equiped weapon

outfited blaster whas shooting yellow. which was default crystal in the blaster.

Tunning was working correctly.

Color crystals are wonky. Tried with a blaster pistol and the color crystal doesn't show (the blaster is able to take a color crystal when equipped normally, but used the default color when slotted in outfitter), but a blaster rifle on the same character works fine. The character was originally a Scoundrel, so the pistol is their original weapon style. Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

KNOWN ISSUES from March 23, 2022 for anyone who needs them before testing: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10014094

This is why some stuff might not work while testing like color crystals issues:

Weapons In Outfitter

• Weapons that contain pre-equipped color crystals require their default crystals to be removed prior to stamping a new color crystal (the appearance will default to the pre-equipped crystal)
  • Opening the character sheet while the character is polymorphed may display the character in the wrong animation stance and/or missing weapons
  • The preview window does not show the color crystal icon for color crystals that are stamped into the character's active outfit
  • In cinematics, the color of blaster bolts and lightsaber blades may not match the color of the active outfit's color crystals
  • Switching between main hand and offhand weapons in the outfitter window can result in the wrong weapon getting applied to the wrong slot
  • Switching between loadouts and combat styles in the Character Sheet window can sometimes result in the character flickering in the Character Sheet and in the in the character's target portrait

as Shadow I can't use one Handed Lightsabers in the Outfitter unless my actually Equipped Weapon is a one handed lightsaber.

Guardian Can't use Dual Blade

as a Sniper can use a Blaster Rifle in the outfitter even with a Sniper Equipped.

as an Operative I can't use Sniper Rifles.

as a Commando I can't use a Blaster Rifle with a Cannon equipped.

I'm assuming that's working as Intended...

why was money wasted on removing Modifications from Gear?

good on Snipers btw, I'm happy for them if all else is supposed to be **** please let them have that spark of joy.

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

Is the use of the feature intuitive?

Yes

Are there any points in using the feature where information, flow, or general understanding of how things work confusing?

Not particularly. It's a weapon stamped on an outfit. Works about how I expected, across classes and combat styles.

If the flow of how the feature currently works is confusing, let us know how you how you believe it should work. Please also report any general bugs

Aside from the color crystal information in the known issue thread, no further bugs were noticed.

EDIT:On further testing, The-Kaitou-Kid is correct in the post below me when they state there's no workaround for weapons with an original color crystal. Neither removing-replacing the crystal nor stamping a new crystal on top of the weapon overwrites the original color. I tested with a Corellian Bunker Buster Besh.

-------

(I'm slightly sad that commandos can't stamp blaster rifles, but it meshes with equipment logic in other parts of the game, like companions).

Edited by Crystal_Mind
misinformation

KNOWN ISSUES from March 23, 2022 for anyone who needs them before testing: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10014094

This is why some stuff might not work while testing like color crystals issues:

That top issue isn't right. It implies removing the original color crystal first is a workaround and it's not. That's my standard procedure when doing outfitter stuff anyway (take care of dye stuff prior to putting the gear into outfitter), so I did remove the crystal beforehand and slot in my preferred crystal before putting the blaster into outfitter and it still defaulted to the default color. I've been testing with some various base game lightsabers and there is no workaround as far as I can tell, the default color crystal is always shown no matter what you do with the weapon. The whole bit about removing the crystal before stamping it in needs to be removed.

• Confusion: I put two lightsabers into an outfits slots. Then I wanted to make a second outfit with different lightdabers, clicked a new outfit slot, and put in those lightabers. I went back to the first one and the slots were empty. I was confused at first why, until I wondered if I had not "saved" the outfit. I had forgotten to press commit but it wasn't clear at first that i had to, especially with combat style tree being one-click-no-save-needed. Maybe needs a warning that its unsaved before clicking another outfit or something. Especially since the commit button does not glow once you've made changes, and is kinda out of the way compared to the slots which are what I'm looking at - and they don't exist till you start changing stuff around.
  • Bug: I opened outfit number 1. It is empty. I drag my two lightsabers into the slots. I drag in a chest piece. My headpiece is showing so I click the "eyeball" button to hide it - it reset my whole outfit to blank again. Frustrating. It happened in outfit 2 later on as well. If I hide the helmet "first" then put the outfit it works fine. This happens if I make an outfit and then try to "show" my helmet with the eyeball too. It does not reset once I commit.
  • Change color crystal / tuning: If I had one lightsaber, I wanted to apply to two different outfits, each with a different color crystal (example one blue outfit with a blue crystal and one green outfit with a green crystal) I couldn't quite figure out how to do that. I CTRL+RIGHTCLICKed the lightsaber in the outfit designer, like I would to change a dye, but nothing opens. Same for tuning. The only way I could figure out how to do it was to do it all in my inventory, stamp it, change it in my inventory, then stamp it in the second outfit. I don't think a newer player would figure that out easily.
  • Design - Once I was 100% aware I needed to press commit I kept accidentally press UNIFY COLORS instead of commit. something about the placement and it being a more permanently visible button lol.
  • Happy - WOW I can wear my crafted lightsabers for the first time SINCE 2015 AHHHHHHHHHHHH! That was a bit of a cool shock to finally see working.
  • Outfits that change color with color crystal? I forgot to bring a set with me to the test server, but someone should grab a set of Forgemaster that the center changes color with the color crystals, and make sure it still works. The Jedi Knight Revan set helmet would also be smart to test.
  • Mounts that change color with color crystal? Is the dynamic mounts working with crystals in the outfit designer? Covert Stalker, Koensayr Dart I think are two to test.
  • General Design - Outfit Designer 1 2 3 4 5 buttons are still incredibly small to click and don't match anything else. here's a lot of vertical space wish it was used for those with 16 outfits. Not fun to scroll through to find my outfit even at only 5 outfits.
  • General Design - Unify color checkboxes I'm playing on 2560x1440 monitor with the UI percentage at "global scale 1". Even at 1.35 global scale they are more clickable but still very small.
  • There's still a lot of bugs / unfinished-looking stuff. Really looking forward to this feature but I'm scared it will be released "half-finished". UI Elements that I thought were in progress in the test server for 7.0 released as they were even with the known bugs.

My main issue with this, which is what I was fearing... Switching combat styles makes this a mess. You can't use the same outfit with two different weapons.

I made an outfit with a lightsaber on my juggernaut and switched to shadow. The weapon is deactivated, and my only option is to replace it with a double lightsaber. But when I switch to jug again, my original lightsaber is gone, and I can't use the outfit with a lightsaber unless I pay credits to change it again.

I'm very disappointed honestly. You shouldn't have to have different outfits for each combat style. You need to give weapons options for each combat style for each outfit.

For the time it took, I was expecting something better. I'm glad color crystals work so I can coordinate with my outfits though.

Switching Between "ADvanced Class"/Combat Styles:

• No issue switching within a combat style as far as I can tell. For example, Annihilation with a White Outfit in Loadouts, to Carnage with a Red Outfit in Loadouts.
  • I added a second combat style to my character with the cutscene. I made a new loadout, and switched from Marauder to Shadow. I went to go give them a new outfit. I was confused that I could not give them a double-bladed lightsaber. I did not understand why I could not stamp it since a double-bladed lightsaber is what a Shadow uses. It took me a while to figure out I needed to first go equip a double-bladed lightsaber to my normal equipment. Then, it was very very awkward, because I only had one double-bladed lightsaber - I equipped it to switch my stamp slot to a double-bladed, but then I couldn't put it into the outfit designer. LOL. I then got smart and went and acquired a random double-bladed lightsaber to throw in my equipment slot so i could put my one i wanted into the outfit designer.
  • Once I got things properly set up which was kinda hard to figure out, with Loadouts I can now swap between Marauder Annihilation, Marauder Carnage, and Shadow Infiltration, each with their own outfit. Once I had it set up properly it worked, but it has the same issues with the ability trees/equipment connected to Loadouts that with the current design it's very easy to accidentally over-ride or misunderstand how loadouts work.
  • I wanted to have a cool white outfit I'd put together on my Marauder Fury and Shadow Serenity specs for the same character. I wanted to have two Defiant Vented Lightsabers when I'm Fury with the white outfit, and a Darth Vindican's Dualsaber for when I fight as Shadow Serenity, but have the same cloths each time. As a casual player, I couldn't figure out how to do that. As an experienced player, I figured out I could make two versions of the outfit, the first taking up Outfit Slot #5 and the second taking up Outfit Slot #6, and just make the weapon stamps different and attach them to my loadouts. However, I think you can only have 16 slots total and doubling up on every outfit I make is going to cut my outfit slots down in half...

1. Is the use of the feature intuitive?

Given that it is not obvious how to change the look of your weapon, and the fact weapon appearance changes are linked to the outfitter and a specific outfit, I found myself blundering around until I figured it out. Now, it did not require a lot of blundering, but it still took a while. It would have been more effective if we had several different weapons to choose from, but collections are closed, so that took care of that.

Final answer: Not terribly intuitive but finally found what I needed to find.

2. Are there any points in using the feature where information, flow, or general understanding of how things work confusing?

Essentially, you have to link your weapon to a specific outfit. Included with that linkage, you also have to use the crystal of choice and flair, if desired, also. Would be nice if the tooltip were more informative.

The bottom line is that we must obtain a crystal, flair, and weapon, and then apply that to an outfit and pay additionally (if we already have the outfit paid for) to accomplish all of the above. And that is only one weapon change in one outfit.

3. If the flow of how the feature currently works is confusing, let us know how you how you believe it should work.

Perhaps a tutorial page should pop when we first open the weapon portion of the outfitter.

4. Please also report any general bugs

I did not detect any bugs based on my experience.

Edited by Lars_Ariva

Uhoh. My game crashed when I tried to switch from "double bladed" loadout to "white outfit" loadout (see image). https://imgur.com/a/dPjJNAw No error message, I just see whats in the image on the screen and my cursor is a spinny circle. My game sometimes lags at this point (I think when it is switching out the abilities and then all the text for abilities pops up) but it usually doesn't crash. Stopped responding generic error when I went to shut it down manually.

EDIT: After my game crashed and I booted PTS back up and logged in. Outfit #1 magically lost its colors being unified. Lol. Easy fix clicked Unify colors again and it worked.

I then logged back out again to see if unify colors disappearing was log-out related and not crash-related. When I logged back in, outfit #4 magically had lost its color unification when I swapped to it from loadouts. Same thing, easy fix, click unify colors again.

Edited by LadyAdmiral

[*]Is the use of the feature intuitive?

Partially. It works just fine with dragging items to the slot and get the desired weapon/armor skin up and running... The not-so-intuitive part is described further down.

[*]Are there any points in using the feature where information, flow, or general understanding of how things work confusing?

Yes. Tooltip on offhand states

"Stamped weapon is incompatible with character's current combat style."

Problem is, I do not have a weapon in the offhand slot. I also do not have a weapon stamped. I cannot stamp a weapon in the offhand. I am using a shield due to tanking spec.

Use this thread to submit feedback on Weapons in Outfitter.

It would be nice to have the option to change crystals and tunings directly in the outfitter slots, just like it is possible with dye on armor, instead of having to locate the actual item in your inventory or bank, change the actual item, then add to outfitter. That's not very intuitive. And should I decide I no longer want the colour crystal or tuning, but keep everything else, it should be as simple as CTRL-rightclicking the outfitter icon, getting the pop-up window with just tuning and crystal available, like on non-moddable gear, and changing it directly from there.

Let's pretend I have one crystal with a colour I really like and a crystal with my preferred stat on. As it is right now, I cannot equip a non-CM weapon with my chosen crystal for stats while having my chosen crystal for colour equipped in outfitter, because it is the same item. Obviously, with a CM weapon I can easily pull out another copy of it, but with a non-CM weapon I would need a second weapon to put in the outfitter. That's not fun.

I'm very disappointed honestly. You shouldn't have to have different outfits for each combat style. You need to give weapons options for each combat style for each outfit.

There could be a simple solution to this; 8 Weapon Slots ( 2 Blaster, 1 Blaster, Sniperrifle, Aussault Canon, Rifle, 1 Lightsaber, 2 Lightsaber, Doubleblade) . Each time an outfit is activatet the Weapon-Slot that is your actual playstyle get activated.

There could be a simple solution to this; 8 Weapon Slots ( 2 Blaster, 1 Blaster, Sniperrifle, Aussault Canon, Rifle, 1 Lightsaber, 2 Lightsaber, Doubleblade) . Each time an outfit is activatet the Weapon-Slot that is your actual playstyle get activated.

Yeah exactly. Or even just two sets of main hand/offhand and it would display the appropriate one.

I mean, this "solution" kinda stinks, unless obviously they want us to spend more credits on outfits... Guess I'm glad I never switch combat styles.

Anyway, make clearer messages, like "you need to equip a weapon (or offhand) to be able to add something to this slot."

Also... make it clearer if you're overwriting a weapon in an outfit. It might not be obvious that there's already a weapon there that you can't really see because you're not in the appropriate combat style. Give a message saying "this will overwrite your current saved weapon, are you sure?" or something.

I also forgot to save my outfit the first time and was wondering where my saved lightsaber went - I'd add a "your outfit isn't saved, are you sure you want to switch?" button (which frankly could be useful anyway).

Probably too complicated but it would have been easier to just add a "crystal" slot under each weapon/offhand slot and just put our color crystals in there, instead of having to put it on the weapon THEN put the weapon in the outfitter. As mentioned above, it's not exactly obvious how to change color crystals right now.

On a positive side, I'm excited to be able to match my color crystals and lightsabers to my outfits.

Edited by Pricia

That top issue isn't right. It implies removing the original color crystal first is a workaround and it's not. That's my standard procedure when doing outfitter stuff anyway (take care of dye stuff prior to putting the gear into outfitter), so I did remove the crystal beforehand and slot in my preferred crystal before putting the blaster into outfitter and it still defaulted to the default color. I've been testing with some various base game lightsabers and there is no workaround as far as I can tell, the default color crystal is always shown no matter what you do with the weapon. The whole bit about removing the crystal before stamping it in needs to be removed.

100% this. There is no work around currently. Regardless on which saber I use in outfitter the color crystal is always the default color. When you preview it before you press commit it shows it as the correct color. However the moment you hit commit it goes to the default yellow color

Edited by Zergnaut

With all the current known issues on the live servers, you guys probably shouldn't be dinking around with PTS right now. Judging by your new list of 7.0.1 issues, once again, the latest patch broke more things than it fixed...and a major one, Galactic Seasons rewards are not being properly granted to subscribers... tell me, how are you keeping track of all the rewards you owe people? Thankfully so far, all I missed is the 200cc reward for level 38 because the game force-claimed it instead of letting me push the button... why is that? EVERY SINGLE OTHER TIME I had to actually click the claim button to get my rewards... Fix your f'n game...

while this feature seems to be intuitive superficially it really isn't when looking closer:

for me as an experienced player it was kind of clear that even if I wanted the same outfit (chest, boots, etc.) on my sage and my shadow I would need to make two completely different outfits because of the different weapon types.

But I can see a lot of confusion for new players...

the most elegant solution would indeed be to separate the weapon outfitter from the 'clothing'-outfitter...

default Color crystals: though it is a known bug/problem you really need to get this fixed because for now the workaround does not work - even if you rip out the default crystal and put in your desired crystal and only then stamp it, the preview looks fine but once you comit: POOF back to the ugly default crystal. so that is a big fat NO GO: I for one- IF that bug goes live- couldn't equip my all time favorite dualsaber (which my assassin used since I created her in 2016) and that would be very bad

a final note:

I think you need to be very clear in your communication about what does and more importantly what DOESN'T this 'weapons in outfitter' do.

quite some people (be it here on the forum or on reddit, discord, facebook, twitter...) still seem to think that weapons in outfitter means that they will be able to for example give their trooper commando a blaster, blaster rifle, or sniper rifle and though I would wish for that too (as I don't like the look/animations of the assault canon) that is NOT what the weapons outfitter does... so make sure to be very clear about that or the outcry will be grand

Edited by Dekibra

Hi there,

This might end up getting ignored, but the weapons outfitter was a really wasted opportunity to introduce a system to choose the sound of your weapon. For example, having the stamped weapon playing the sound effects of the equipped weapon, or vice versa. It makes the entire system feel pretty pointless, especially since choosing our weapons sounds has been a thing the community has been asking for for years, now.

Hopefully this can be referred back to the devs and added, or a similar system, but it'd be nice to use weapons that don't sound absolutely appalling and giving us that extra bit of individuality by choosing our weapon sounds, such as the Nightfall Lightsaber with the classic snap-hiss sound. I'm not a coder, but one approach could be having a toggle between the two sound effects, if adding a system to choose out of all sound effects isn't feasible.

Hopefully this gets read and acknowledged.

Edited by A_Guy_Called_Bob

So the main issue that I'm having is that if I only want to use one outfit on the toon, I either have to unlock another outfit slot and recreate it piece by piece, or I have to manually restamp my weapon every time, because if I'm switching from a Marauder to a Shadow, for example, the weapon cannot be displayed, as it doesn't match my Combat Style, but if I stamp the correct weapon into the new style chosen, it overrides my previous choice.

Easy solution would be: recreate the outfit that you're wearing, so two outfits look identical but are wearing different weapons. Well, here's the rub. Years ago, when the change went out from 4.0 to 5.0, a bunch of my chest pieces sitting in my personal cargo hold lost the dyes they were stamped with. No, I did not stamp them in the outfit, I always stamp the chest piece itself. And ever since 5.0 they look like they were never dyed. And it was expensive dye, it was Black/Black, White/White, etc. I'm not buying it a kazillion more times to restamp what was lost, so I cannot recreate those outfits. I only have the one slot, which means I have to restamp it back and forth over and over again with different weapons if I want to switch.

The other issue is. Switching Combat Styles un-unifies the color on my outfit. I cannot say what causes it. I have two different outfits set for two different combat styles. The weapons change correctly, the outfits change correctly, but every time the outfit requires me to manually unify it again.

Edited by lessandracassidy

Weapons need to work like armor in the outfitter to have a uniform design.

Armor you can dye after it is in the outfitter slot. Players can ctrl+right click and drop a new dye in it.

The same system needs to work with weapons. Drop a weapon, ctrl+right click to modify the weapon even if it is in the outfitter.

Two different systems and separate rules for Weapons and Armor in the same window is counter intuitive.