How do you fix the resolution issue so you can log in?

Recently I had to uninstall and reinstall the game. Once the game was reinstalled I began having the dreaded resolution issues. The moment I click play in the launcher my resolution goes haywire and I can't get into the game. I've tried looking up answers to solve this issue on google. I've read some of the suggestions and even saw were customer service has advised against using certain suggestions. All the advice I saw was atleast 4 years old and in some cases appeared to be outdated. What is the best way to resolve this issue?

My memory is a bit hazy so forgive my if I do not get all details correct, but something like this is how I had to correct my resolution issues when I upgraded my monitor for HD to QHD:

1. Turn your monitor resolution to 800x600
  2. Launch swtor, it should launch in this resolution. If it doesn't, you may have a deeper problem and/or may need to completely reload the game (uninstall then reinstall).
  3. Change the resolution within swtor to what you are trying to achieve.
  4. Completely exit out of swtor.
  5. In Windows, go to Users -> (Your Username) -> AppData -> Local -> SWTOR -> swtor -> settings. Note that within the windows folder options you will need to be able so see Hidden Files.
  6. Open the client settings.ini file.
  7. Make sure Refresh Rate, Height, Width, NativeHeight, NativeWidth are at the correct settings,. If not, correct within the file and save it. If the option is not there, do not be afraid to add it. If it scares you being in there, save the original file in a different location before making any changes so you can always have the original to put back.
  8. There may be other settings you will want to verify/check, such as Fullscreen = true, etc. Depends on what Bioware saves and what you hope to achieve.
  9. Once the file is saved, right click on the client settings file and then click on properties.
  10. Within properties, click the box for Read Only. This prevents Bioware from changing the file back.
  11. Set your monitor to your desired resolution.
  12. Relaunch swtor. Hopefully it will now launch at the desired resolution. If not you may need to tinker with the file again - just remember that if you want to change any settings within the file to click OFF the Read Only to edit the file and then click it back ON before launching swtor.
  13. If you get a black screen, hit Alt+Enter and hopefully this will force swtor to appear in a window.

I know I had to do a couple iterations of launching swtor and getting past the black screen of doom to get everything right but I didn't take the time to write everything I did down - sorry. Hopefully what I have typed will be close enough to get your resolution working. A quick alternative is to change your resolution to 800x600 and then directly edit the client settings file, but I did not have much luck with this without going into swtor as outlined above - but it may work for you. Good luck!

Edited by dracmor

I tvvm for your help. I started trying your suggestions but was still having issues. Luckily for me a guildie was able to help me out. I gave him the specs of my pc. When he saw I had Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m, we were able to use the Geforce Experience app to determine that no resolution setting was selected. I was able to optimize the settings through here. Once optimized I was able to log back in with no issues.

My memory is a bit hazy so forgive my if I do not get all details correct, but something like this is how I had to correct my resolution issues when I upgraded my monitor for HD to QHD:

1. Turn your monitor resolution to 800x600
  2. Launch swtor, it should launch in this resolution. If it doesn't, you may have a deeper problem and/or may need to completely reload the game (uninstall then reinstall).
  3. Change the resolution within swtor to what you are trying to achieve.
  4. Completely exit out of swtor.
  5. In Windows, go to Users -> (Your Username) -> AppData -> Local -> SWTOR -> swtor -> settings. Note that within the windows folder options you will need to be able so see Hidden Files.
  6. Open the client settings.ini file.
  7. Make sure Refresh Rate, Height, Width, NativeHeight, NativeWidth are at the correct settings,. If not, correct within the file and save it. If the option is not there, do not be afraid to add it. If it scares you being in there, save the original file in a different location before making any changes so you can always have the original to put back.
  8. There may be other settings you will want to verify/check, such as Fullscreen = true, etc. Depends on what Bioware saves and what you hope to achieve.
  9. Once the file is saved, right click on the client settings file and then click on properties.
  10. Within properties, click the box for Read Only. This prevents Bioware from changing the file back.
  11. Set your monitor to your desired resolution.
  12. Relaunch swtor. Hopefully it will now launch at the desired resolution. If not you may need to tinker with the file again - just remember that if you want to change any settings within the file to click OFF the Read Only to edit the file and then click it back ON before launching swtor.
  13. If you get a black screen, hit Alt+Enter and hopefully this will force swtor to appear in a window.

I know I had to do a couple iterations of launching swtor and getting past the black screen of doom to get everything right but I didn't take the time to write everything I did down - sorry. Hopefully what I have typed will be close enough to get your resolution working. A quick alternative is to change your resolution to 800x600 and then directly edit the client settings file, but I did not have much luck with this without going into swtor as outlined above - but it may work for you. Good luck!

There is a much simpler way, just delete the client_settings.ini

SWTOR will regenerate it with default settings

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

In Windows, go to Users -> (Your Username) -> AppData -> Local -> SWTOR -> swtor -> settings. Note that within the windows folder options you will need to be able so see Hidden Files.

Open the client settings.ini file.

Make sure Refresh Rate, Height, Width, NativeHeight, NativeWidth are at the correct settings,. If not, correct within

Thankyou!! :rak_03:

Recently I had to uninstall and reinstall the game. Once the game was reinstalled I began having the dreaded resolution issues. The moment I click play in the launcher my resolution goes haywire and I can't get into the game. I've tried looking up answers to solve this issue on google. I've read some of the suggestions and even saw were customer service has advised against using certain suggestions. All the advice I saw was atleast 4 years old and in some cases appeared to be outdated. What is the best way to resolve this issue?

Every time it hits me I just reinstall my graphics driver and everything is fixed.

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2017 at 9:10 PM, MadDutchman said:

There is a much simpler way, just delete the client_settings.ini

SWTOR will regenerate it with default settings

The first option didn't work for me but just deleting the client_settings.ini worked! TY!