Let's show Bioware what kind of armor we really want !

dnoisette

Ok, I'm admittely hijacking a thread that already exists on other classes forums, the Jedi Consular one being the most active one from what I can tell. I apologize to those who primarily started them but judging by the success they encountered, it occured to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have our own. :)

This thread is meant to offer players the opportunity to post the armor designs they like and/or made themselves and would like to see introduced in SWTOR. I hope many of you guys will come and share your thoughts on the subject so that maybe, MAYBE, we'd have a chance to catch some dev's attention and influence the direction taken by the art team on sith warrior gear.

I'll start myself with some designs that are from the Force Unleashed and have always amazed me:

Marauder/Assassin set (would look great on assassin as well although it's off topic :p)

Juggernaut/Marauder alternative

Perfect look for marauders :D.

Here's another view. Of course some, recoloring might be needed but still, the point is pretty clear.

Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas on the subject ! I'd really like to see what the community can come up with. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otherwise known as a Martin Stu. Yeah... he's one video game character who never should have gotten into canon.

And what the **** are they going to do now? TFU2 was an utter failure, but unlike the first game, the story doesn't come to any closure. They've completely destroyed any chance of a decent story.

They were also idiots with the first game. Size matters not? In general, no, it doesn't. But force matters. The Force can apply a force - this is not a pun, I'm talking physics here - and no example of the Force in any legitimate source has shown a Force user capable of overcoming the force output by a set of engines - let alone the size of engines on a Star Destroyer. Directing a Star Destroyer as it crashes to a planet? No problem! Pulling a Star Destroyer with perfectly functional engines down out of orbit? HUGE EFFING PROBLEM.

Gah.

*sighs*

I've digressed way too far afield and I apologize. He truly pisses me off. The first game was fun, but the story ... argh. No, I'm shutting up now.

As for gear, I do agree that the *look* of Starkiller is acceptable, and would give us some nice diversity. I want less idiotic masks, or better yet circlets or crowns. Only a handful of canonical Sith had their faces entirely hidden by masks - most had headdresses and the like. I'd love those. I spent time working on my Warrior's face, damnit, I want to SEE him. I'd die for a headdress from the pages of Tales of the Jedi. I don't want a lot of Luke-era looking stuff though; I'd much prefer to see stuff that looks like it's supposed to be from an earlier age. Tales of the Jedi is the ONLY source to give us that.

Hey Sith Warriors!

Great initiative here! Please do feel free to share your Sith Warrior specific feedback here in this thread.

Also, take a look at these recent posts from StephenReid regarding feedback on armor sets.

Hey everyone, thank you to everyone who took the time to leave feedback. The development team are very aware of everyone's thoughts and we've particularly appreciated constructive comments which will always give us a better idea about how to change things in the game.

Wholesale changes to the armor sets in Game Update 1.2 are not possible at this time. Creating new armor sets is a process with a long lead time, so changes cannot be made quickly. However, we're listening to your feedback and that will influence things going forward. We would also urge you to look at the armor sets in-game. With the new color matching options available in Game Update 1.2 and higher resolution textures, some of you might be more impressed by armor sets in-game.

With that said, we'd like to make this discussion a bit more constructive moving forward. We understand some of you aren't fans of the armor sets as shown; that's fine, and we've heard you loud and clear. We've also heard the calls to make armor more 'iconic' and 'more Star Wars like' - and thanks to those of you who provided reference to your favorite armor styles.

We'd like to see more of that, so feel free to provide more constructive comments on what you feel your end game armor styles should look like for your class in The Old Republic.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3691938#edit3691938

We'd prefer to see links to inspirational sources, rather than "Make it look exactly like this". That gives the artists ideas.

With that said, we've heard the requests for some sort of community interaction on future armor sets, and we're looking into that.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3692131#edit3692131

We also encourage you to share your feedback and thoughts in the thread that Stephen commented in as well!

Thanks!

Possibly something like this http://www.testq.com/nfs/testq/photos/0001/5205/Cyborg_ninja-lados_3_views.jpg

but with a half-face mask, or a more traditional helmet. (And maybe a little less anime.) I agree with Harukaze, in that there are too many stupid masks. I want to see my corruption, dammit! As warriors, they wouldn't want a full-face-enclosing-omg-where-is-my-peripheral-vision style headdress. Rebreather style or crown style plays both into the warrior ethos and the Sith backstory.

Quick google image search also turns up the following:

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/190/f/3/Sith_Lord_in_Partial_armor_by_Torelvorn.jpg

http://evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/images/a/a3/RedSithArmor.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/swfanon/images/5/5d/SithJedi.jpg

All look pretty cool (even the emo one) and seem to be pretty different from what I see on my server. Not sure if that's a fair call to apply to other servers, but them's the brakes.

Last thing I've noticed is the design of the armor itself. Heavy armor doesn't look heavy on small characters, medium armor often looks heavy on big ones. Medium armor is much more suitable than heavy, but I feel there should be that properly solid look. I know what I bring up now is something that's probably immutable, but there has to be some way to design the armor to look properly solid/flexible, regardless of character. I propose the space marine effect...GIANT SHOULDER PADS.

It could not have been that difficult to take i.e. the level 50 pvp set and gradually upgrade from simpler versions to the "full thing".

Right now leveling a maraudeur is painfull in every cutscene. There is just nothing "class iconic" about the stuff we get: Either it looks like a sorc or it looks like some... rags?

It get's even more frustrating when each an every one of your NPCs is wearing something cool. Thana, i.e. or even random sith-guards standing in bases...

And there doesn't even be anything close to resemble the progression video...

I think I've looked at about anything google could find, anything a synthweaver can do and even asked in the maraudeurs forum for help finding something less 'painfull'. But the answer it all comes down to: This class has no nice gear until it hits 50.

Honesty:

Take the pvp set for 50

Remove spikes - 40

Smaller boots, less robe - 30

Drop the hood - 20

There. Thats a progressive style. And if it's modable even better: players can pick the simpler version if prefered or 'upgrade' the looks to their available tier.

Honesty:

Take the pvp set for 50

Remove spikes - 40

Smaller boots, less robe - 30

Drop the hood - 20

There. Thats a progressive style. And if it's modable even better: players can pick the simpler version if prefered or 'upgrade' the looks to their available tier.

This. Plus, the armor already exists in game, there's no need for a complete new design. That could be a good thing to start with. :)

I actually really like the PVE marauder gear that we currently have.

as well as powertech bounty hunter gear, Best in game.

Worst armor in game is probably Sith Inquisitor, for PVP we are chickens for PVE we are Genghis khan.

you can't deny this.

Second is probably agent, they don't stand out as much, but maybe that's a good thing.

third is PVE warrior tank set, Looks okay but in comparison to marauder it doesn't stand up.

Actually the first time i saw marauder in a pve set i was like damn, that looks kinda creepy lookin! I'm gonna roll one.

Ok, I'm admittely hijacking a thread that already exists on other classes forums, the Jedi Consular one being the most active one from what I can tell. I apologize to those who primarily started them but judging by the success they encountered, it occured to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have our own. :)

This thread is meant to offer players the opportunity to post the armor designs they like and/or made themselves and would like to see introduced in SWTOR. I hope many of you guys will come and share your thoughts on the subject so that maybe, MAYBE, we'd have a chance to catch some dev's attention and influence the direction taken by the art team on sith warrior gear.

I'll start myself with some designs that are from the Force Unleashed and have always amazed me:

Marauder/Assassin set (would look great on assassin as well although it's off topic :p)

Juggernaut/Marauder alternative

Perfect look for marauders :D.

Here's another view. Of course some, recoloring might be needed but still, the point is pretty clear.

Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas on the subject ! I'd really like to see what the community can come up with. :)

I hate all of these very strongly. Except some of those pics have Darth Vader in them, and my SW already has awesome armor that looks like Vader's awesome armor.

I'd much prefer something like the armor designs in E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/upload/screens/EYE_artworks_11.jpg

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/upload/screens/eye_artwork_012.jpg

Edited by Schneidend

FROM A MARAUDER POINT OF VIEW:

That's a massive no-brainer

http://swtorhumanrelations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/sith-marauder1.jpg

Perfect look, honestly. Other than that I guess Force Unleashed costumes would make for decent guidelines. Here are some examples:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/220/b/b/Starkiller_by_Rinter.jpg - DA custom picture but colored black / red and it properly suit marauder.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LBoiJX-K6F8/S_QZs1andZI/AAAAAAAAA6k/B1ao4rrh0f4/s1600/starkiller.jpg - Raxus Prime costume. Regular fabric meshed up with a bit of tech

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/b8/GalenStalkerArmor-TFUUSE.jpg - Sith Stalker armor. More tech, less fabric than in previous picture but still retains the agile marauder look

Basically the idea behind marauder look is to use the same awesome level of detail as current sets have but put those details in right places aka less capes / skirts and more cloaks / hoods / freely flowing pieces of fabric which effectively move from juggernaut "imposing and powerful" to marauder "agile and deadly" theme. I'll provide some more examples when I get some sleep.

What kind of stuns me:

There ARE lots and lots of armors IN GAME that would work perfectly. A nice place between the cloth wearing assasins and sorcerers and the heavy duty juggernaughts. LOTS. Every damn NPC is looking like a not-quite-juggernaught but definately not light-armor! GAH!

I like the pvp armor for marauders. But if you could only put on your helm while having your hood on that would be epic.... why can't BW make the pvp helms classify as a mask? like the one that you mostly get for juggernauts? (the lvl 40 pvp juggy helm for example, it goes under your hood and still makes you wear your hood)

If that would be possible that would be extremely awesome. making you look more like the sith in the trailers. (and give some Revan like look)

And the ability to take of your hood. but not just completely remove it but just let it go down and rest on your shoulders/back. Like juggy PVP gear.

Those things would make hooded robes more awesome.

I would really love something like this for my mara. Or just giving me the one from the progression video would make me happy.

I know some people love the robo-cop style, and I don't want to take it away from them, I would just like more orange options that fit my style too.

Just checked the progression video again... damn, what a lie!

the low level marauder doesn'T exist ingame - just a similar version for juggernauts....

and the "endgame" example is the juggernaut version of the pvp armor, isn't it?

Hey, here's a challenge to the designers:

"Make a progression video with the actual marauder gear!" XD

Edited by chillshock

A lot of classes did not get what was in their trailers but the thing with marauders is that they went a completely different way with little warnings. The chestpiece with cape+ skirt combo from lvl 30 to the end, that I wasn't expecting. :eek:

Don't know exactly where this is from but recolour it in darker shades and it makes for a pretty cool look for marauders:

Potential gear for Maras

Alternative view

I love that the chestpiece is simple and seems to be adapted to some sort of acrobatic combat style and still have the cape which adds a lot to the overall feeling of the set. I would maybe add a hood though. Plus apparently, the armor is in the game or was at some point. Couldn't find it so I assume it's beta gear. Damn, beta gear was so cool, maybe the devs should just bring it back. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Two more things to add.

Can't say why but there's something in that pic that really appeals to me, looks like some sort of sorcerer and marauder armor mix and I just can't get it off my mind :D:

Sneaky

Finally, when I hear Marauder out of a Star Wars context, this is what I see:

Mara (okay yes there's a lightsaber in that pic and I said "out of the Star Wars context"...but still you got the point :D)

In my mind, it's the kind of thing a real Marauder would wear, there's a reason why Obi-Wan and Anakin always take their robes off in the movies when fighting: it' easier to be quick and agile in melee when you can move freely.

ps: I'm not a big fan of the Force Unleashed but the armor design is just too good to be ignored, which is why I often link it. :)

Edited by dnoisette

i want more robes and pants for maraudar. Main reason why i rerolled jedi sent and going to delete my maraudar for ajuggernaut coming 1.2 for my miraluka sith

One i do want from TFU2 is the lightsaber holsters on the chest like Galen Marek aka starkiller has. I want those lightsaber holsters badly.

Edited by LordXalas

Otherwise known as a Martin Stu. Yeah... he's one video game character who never should have gotten into canon.

And what the **** are they going to do now? TFU2 was an utter failure, but unlike the first game, the story doesn't come to any closure. They've completely destroyed any chance of a decent story.

They were also idiots with the first game. Size matters not? In general, no, it doesn't. But force matters. The Force can apply a force - this is not a pun, I'm talking physics here - and no example of the Force in any legitimate source has shown a Force user capable of overcoming the force output by a set of engines - let alone the size of engines on a Star Destroyer. Directing a Star Destroyer as it crashes to a planet? No problem! Pulling a Star Destroyer with perfectly functional engines down out of orbit? HUGE EFFING PROBLEM.

Gah.

*sighs*

I've digressed way too far afield and I apologize. He truly pisses me off. The first game was fun, but the story ... argh. No, I'm shutting up now.

As for gear, I do agree that the *look* of Starkiller is acceptable, and would give us some nice diversity. I want less idiotic masks, or better yet circlets or crowns. Only a handful of canonical Sith had their faces entirely hidden by masks - most had headdresses and the like. I'd love those. I spent time working on my Warrior's face, damnit, I want to SEE him. I'd die for a headdress from the pages of Tales of the Jedi. I don't want a lot of Luke-era looking stuff though; I'd much prefer to see stuff that looks like it's supposed to be from an earlier age. Tales of the Jedi is the ONLY source to give us that.

Yeah well supposedly there are instances of whole planets being moved around too. Idk what the limits to the force are.