Galactic Seasons - let us pick the kind of missions we want

Pricia

You're not really doing yourself any favor by forcing your players to do content that they don't enjoy. Not only that, but it messes up content for people who DO enjoy it by having to deal with a lot of dead weights in pvp, GSF, or even veteran flashpoints.

My suggestion - every week when a character logs in after the weekly reset, let people pick what type of missions they want and what they don't want - whether it's only grouping missions, ops, GSF, pvp, solo, or a mix of two or more (let us check the options).

Then only the goals pop up. If someone only plays the game for GSF, by all means, give him two weeklies of doing 5 GSF matches. If someone only wants to solo, give them solo missions only - and 10 or 20 heroics for a weekly mission.

It would still give people something to do, but they would actually enjoy it...

Even simpler, have some or all or at least a bunch of the objectives up every day and let players choose which two to complete.

Same for weekly, have all or at least four or five weekly objectives up each week and let players choose which two to complete.

I have played this game from launch as a solo player. I may be bullied into becoming warzone fodder and wasting my time losing some matches while I hate every second of it. I will however most assuredly not touch Ops and GSF and i'm pretty sure there are many other players that feel the same way.

Right now, as objectives stand, I just want the tokens for the green chick companion and then I'm done with this stuff for the foreseeable future.

I hate feeling pressured into doing group content.

Have the devs not learned already that forcing players to do content they don't want to do only helps to push those players away?

Another option to address that is giving more chances at refreshing the priority objectives, maybe a few times for the daily and weekly. I know subscribers can supposedly get all points just by doing the dailies (at least according to SWTORIsta' math) and can ignore the weeklies, provided they do all dailies and get all the log-in season rewards for around 4 months.

The point I brought up on the PTS regarding this subject is that human nature being what it is, people naturally choose the least line of resistance toward any goal to achieve the highest reward for the smallest effort. It's called efficiency.

That means thousands of players subsequently squeezing into the same areas all doing the same missions for the same purpose.

Bioware was smart to scatter us around to different missions.

Edited by xordevoreaux

The point I brought up on the PTS regarding this subject is that human nature being what it is, people naturally choose the least line of resistance toward any goal to achieve the highest reward for the smallest effort. It's called efficiency.

That means thousands of players subsequently squeezing into the same areas all doing the same missions for the same purpose.

In the end that kind of decision making could hurt them.

Edited by DarkMatterSlifus

But it's exactly what's happening right now. I couldn't even run my heroics in Balmorra because there were 10 people killing insectoids... Same on Alderaan (forget doing the Survivors mission, even if it doesn't count for the achievements/dailies).

There is no reason why letting us choose the kind of mission we want couldn't give us a bigger range of missions either. Heck, give us 2 random pve missions out of a pool of 20 for all I care - it could be anything from killing talz on Hoth or prisoners on Belsavis.

The PO missions could be easily tied into content we already do on our own free will, be it dailies, heroics, story missions and what not. Just give 1 GS point for finishing 1 mission (whatever it may be), and 3 or more for something else. I bet no-one would be farming mobs on Balmorra heroic area, when they could choose to go and do what they normally would do too.

It doesn't really matter if people choose the path with least resistance, because people who do PO missions, will do them anyway to get GS points if that's what they are after, no matter what the mission is. The only difference is that now a lot of people hate the "options" we are given and therefore criticise GS in general, when they could play any content they like and be happy instead.

Edited by DeannaVoyager

It looks pretty clear BW wanted to build GS into a system that incentivises certain diverse approach towards different playstyles. They want to encourage players to dive to places they usually wouldn't. Conquest hasn't really done that in over a year now,looks to me they wanted to fill this void with a system that does.

If you let people freely choose their own missions, all and any of that would of course stop. Entire system would then just turn into another hollow thing rewarding you for doing what you'd do anyway. That way, it'd in no way change anyone's day to day behaviour. I believe BW absolutely wants to change things around a bit. They want to scatter the community around some.

Huge part of people wouldn't even bother with what they -like- doing and would instead settle with what they consider most efficient.. ie, let people pick their own missions and you'd immediately have Hammer Station syndrome going: People would start picking up two efficient overlapping missions and doing them day after day, boring themselves to death in the process. It'd strip the entire GS mechanic from any deeper purpose besides just handing stuff to players.

No harm comes to anyone who just skips missions they don't want to do. Month from now, one can even catch up by credits. Right now, you could buy the entire season for 9k cc or so. I'd guess it'll translate into 200 mil credits or so.

35 out of 45 possible POs are super accessible solo stuff. Yet, people seem so very frustrated about...something in this.

What happens to person who never reaches the max level by the time season runs out? Something terrible? It sounds like we speak of some pretty unlikely overlap here. "I am super casual! I can't or don't want to do any multiplayer content at all. However, I need to reach max lvl each season because I'm also a completionist and want to achieve everything this game has to offer!!" Like..how does this casually hardcore paradox even hold together?

I remember when DvsL was a thing. I didn't at all feel like doing even little bit of Opsing back then, so I never got that cool turret mount and whatnot. Does that mean the system was somehow unfair and deeply broken? No, last reward tiers just weren't for me. Not every single aspect and detail and deco piece or achi needs to be within my reach regardless of what I do in game. if all games worked like that, mankind would have gotten bored of them long before electricity and video games were a thing.

I think a golden middle road could be the best here. Instead of (just) letting people reroll from content they dislike, let people reroll to something they enjoy. Have one weekly and one daily always be random, but let people choose the other two freely. Weekly Ops, Planetary heroic,GSF, PvP, etc mission could give reroll tokens. Click the token, and it changes one mission into whatever content you completed when earning the reroll token.

Edited by Stradlin

The problem is that it ruins it for people who actually DO enjoy the content. I admit that I've been enjoying PvP more than I thought I would but people are stupid and it's still an aggravation I would like to do without (without mentioning a bug that got me kicked out when the match ended, meaning I had to wait 13 minutes and do it again).

I can't even imagine what it must be like for GSF players right now - having to deal with total newbies that just want their PO done with.

But it's not just PvP and GSF - today I got, again, the 75 insectoids in Balmorra mission. Cue 15 people fighting over every single spawn, and making it hard even to do the heroic missions on the republic side. It stinks.

Surely ruining the game for others because of GS must not be the goal.

It's just sad because frankly I've been looking forward to the daily reset to get my new POs. I really enjoy having more things to do in the game. I just wish it was things I enjoyed more. I know that I don't have to do every single daily to finish the season but unfortunately I can't predict what will happen/what I will be doing in one month so I'd rather stay ahead.

It looks pretty clear BW wanted to build GS into a system that incentivises certain diverse approach towards different playstyles. They want to encourage players to dive to places they usually wouldn't. Conquest hasn't really done that in over a year now,looks to me they wanted to fill this void with a system that does.

If you let people freely choose their own missions, all and any of that would of course stop. Entire system would then just turn into another hollow thing rewarding you for doing what you'd do anyway. That way, it'd in no way change anyone's day to day behaviour. I believe BW absolutely wants to change things around a bit. They want to scatter the community around some.

Huge part of people wouldn't even bother with what they -like- doing and would instead settle with what they consider most efficient.. ie, let people pick their own missions and you'd immediately have Hammer Station syndrome going: People would start picking up two efficient overlapping missions and doing them day after day, boring themselves to death in the process. It'd strip the entire GS mechanic from any deeper purpose besides just handing stuff to players.

You are only assuming there from your own point of view, BW hasn't announced their reasons to bring GS into game.

We already have a system with rewards from certain activity. It's called conquest. The difference is, you will still get some conquest point from almost any content, while with GS we only get points from certain missions. BW doesn't need to steer people into different kind of content or playstyle, there are still enough players for all of them, and if there isn't, it means the content is bad, boring or not fun to do. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the game while playing.

Unfortunately some recent changes in conquest, crafting etc has driven part of the playerbase away. It didn't get the crafters to join activities they haven't done before, it made them quit the game, because there was nothing they would enjoy left for them. If people want to try other game modes, they can do it without manipulation or force feeding. Most people try everything in game at least once. If they don't enjoy it, they won't return to it. If they are forced to return to it they will only hate it, and they will start hating the game. That's a fail.

The problem with GS is that it is not actually steering people towards different content, it's steering them ALL to hunt those few bugs on one small area on Balmorra. I would call that an epic fail.

GS could be combined with login rewards or conquest: no forcing, let people to choose the content they want to play, and they'd be a lot happier when they log out.

You're not really doing yourself any favor by forcing your players to do content that they don't enjoy. Not only that, but it messes up content for people who DO enjoy it by having to deal with a lot of dead weights in pvp, GSF, or even veteran flashpoints.

My suggestion - every week when a character logs in after the weekly reset, let people pick what type of missions they want and what they don't want - whether it's only grouping missions, ops, GSF, pvp, solo, or a mix of two or more (let us check the options).

Then only the goals pop up. If someone only plays the game for GSF, by all means, give him two weeklies of doing 5 GSF matches. If someone only wants to solo, give them solo missions only - and 10 or 20 heroics for a weekly mission.

It would still give people something to do, but they would actually enjoy it...

for the love of god, please remove galactic starfighter as a REQUIREMENT - it sucks 30-45 minutes from my day just to get into a queue to the worst game mode in the entire MMO.

I agree with the OP. These dailies seem like quite a missed opportunity. Is killing 75 bugs the best they can come up with nowadays? Really? Or giving the starfighter daily to people who never play it.

Having only two dailies also means you are not likely to ever have the same missions as your guildies and friends. Can they at least be guild-based so we could actually be encouraged to play as a group?

I really hope that enough people will complain and they'll come up with some decent, more fun missions for these dailies.

The weeklies are all group or pvp related. Veteran FPs through group finder, operations, GSF, or Warzones. That's it. There are NO solo weekly objetctives.

I've done operations, I've done flashpoints through group finder, I've done GSF, and I've done warzones. I hate PVP, I don't have time for operations, and frankly I'm a little tired of people being annoying in flashpoints so I avoid group finder as well.

One of the things that I truly appreciate about SWTOR is that I can play it mostly solo. I don't have to annoy anyone else and generally people don't annoy me (for the most part).

Not letting us choose which activity to do isn't going to make me do things I don't want to do just to get points for Galactic Seasons.

Yeah, so it turns out the solo objectives are broken as well. From the lagfest that is the colicoid area on Balmora to spam clicking that one terminal with the long respawn timer in the black hole to spawn the droid, Galactic Seasons managed to really bring mack my hatred for other players in MMOs.

I know, I know, they pay the bills to keep the game running, it's not them, it's just bad game design, whatever.

But when I miss the click and another player gets that terminal and I get to wait another few minutes, it's not the bad game design I hate, its that specific player that got their click in at just the right time.

Great job Bioware.

Ha, I just realized by reading these threads related to Seasons that you can buy the levels with cartel coins, therefore the tedium and annoyance must be there intentionally to make us buy the levels out with coins.

Again good job Bioware, it's working as intended.

Also thanks for making really me feel like a Sith ... full of hatred.

It adds to immersion.

Ha, I just realized by reading these threads related to Seasons that you can buy the levels with cartel coins, therefore the tedium and annoyance must be there intentionally to make us buy the levels out with coins.

Again good job Bioware, it's working as intended.

Also thanks for making really me feel like a Sith ... full of hatred.

It adds to immersion.

You'll also eventually be able to buy them with in game credits. I think after the first month of the season.

More choices like this week because one of the tasks is bugged now three are only three options: Section X, which I do not mind, PvP, which I dislike and never will enjoy, and GSF which is tolerable but not enjoyable at all. Part of me is thinking do one PvP match on a character I do not care about, get one medal and enough to get credit, then just run at the enemy and wait for them to kill me and repeat. It would not be fun, but as long as I can get credit then great. I would prefer being able to reset them infinity each day and having many different options, especially for the weekly.

More choices like this week because one of the tasks is bugged now three are only three options: Section X, which I do not mind, PvP, which I dislike and never will enjoy, and GSF which is tolerable but not enjoyable at all. Part of me is thinking do one PvP match on a character I do not care about, get one medal and enough to get credit, then just run at the enemy and wait for them to kill me and repeat. It would not be fun, but as long as I can get credit then great. I would prefer being able to reset them infinity each day and having many different options, especially for the weekly.

See Bioware, trying to incentivize people with this mentality to take up PvP with the current mission rewards system/deserter penalty in place, not a good idea. Leads to lots of unnecessary tension between players. Don't try to shoehorn people into game niches that aren't for them, especially when the stakes are so high.

Yes, I would love to be able to choose what types of weeklies and dailies I get for Galactic Seasons. I am strictly a PVE player, but I do enjoy ops when I am able to do them. Getting PVP and GSF weeklies is NOT fun for me. Yes, I have tried PVP and GSF in the past, multiple times even. I just hate PVP and no amount of forcing me into it is going to make me even like it. PVP is just rage-inducing for me and I play SWTOR to relax and have fun. That's why I love PVE and friendly groups where we are not competing against one another. In PVP I usually end up trying to hide, or just letting people kill me because I just don't care and the time seems to drag in PVP. GSF is okay, but the matches are way too long and I also really don't care for it, so I just want the clock to run out, too.

Forcing players into content they don't enjoy isn't right. I know there's a reroll option, but you get one shot and sometimes you just get another PVP mission. So, it makes me feel forced into doing something I can't stand because I would like the Galactic Seasons points and it's unfairly giving way more points/favorability to the PVP weeklies. If I skip these, I also don't want to waste my cartel credits on catching up in GS. I want to save them for other things. We deserve to be able to choose and not miss out on the points because we don't play the "preferred way." Honestly, I stopped logging in the last couple days to do any GS missions because I dread the PVP and GSF options. Let us select what our play style is and have missions for that pop. Lock us in for the week for that play style, but don't force us to keep playing in a way we don't want to play.