Fleet Chat - Harassment

Mangzane

The amount of harassment that goes on within fleet chat is out of hand. Racism and bigotry are worn like proud badges of honor for some of these people, and they have no fear of harassing other's in fleet chat.

My guild members and I have multiple tickets open that have gone unanswered for weeks.

This is honestly the most toxic MMO chat I've seen. Players in League, WoW, EVE, New World, GW2, ect, will all face punishment for such behavior. Why isn't that the case here?

The amount of harassment that goes on within fleet chat is out of hand. Racism and bigotry are worn like proud badges of honor for some of these people, and they have no fear of harassing other's in fleet chat.

My guild members and I have multiple tickets open that have gone unanswered for weeks.

This is honestly the most toxic MMO chat I've seen. Players in League, WoW, EVE, New World, GW2, ect, will all face punishment for such behavior. Why isn't that the case here?

It's mostly kids who think it's funny. The serious offenders get banned. Unfortunately I usually just stick to guild/group chat.

If it bothers you just turn the chat box off since I really don't want to or need to see any of the chat coming from the weird RP people on fleet. I really only pay attention to guild/group/ops chat and that's if it's even in game mostly we use discord.

Edited by TheDarkenBlade

If it bothers you just turn the chat box off since I really don't want to or need to see any of the chat coming from the weird RP people on fleet. I really only pay attention to guild/group/ops chat and that's if it's even in game mostly we use discord.

So turning a blind eye to this is your answer? This is called enabling. This is where ignoring such egregious actions be it physical or verbal continue to happen and never face any consequences. Burying one's head in the sand does not make the problem go away, it propagates it. Shrugging one's shoulders at this is a sign of apathy and ambivalence. History shows us what happens when people act as you suggest.

I suggest, if you haven't already, screenshot chat with time stamps. Then send it directly to CS via email, not the in-game support system. If they fail to act, send an email to the community manager, Eric, Kieth, and Charles or PM them directly with links to those screenshots. If they refuse, on all accounts, to act then you know beyond a shadow of a doubt they do not care.

I am 47 years old. I have seen, been through and heard some stuff in my time.

But, even I cant be the only one who sees the irony of proclaiming the Dark Side and Imperial in the out of game forums complaining about bigotry and racism on the imperial side? I will save the history lesson on that as it was just something that made me kinda laugh a little inside. This part is not about the topic, just an ironic observation.

Are these people contacting you directly? If not, ignore them, their legacy, turn off general chat.

If they are contacting you directly, ignore them, problem solved.

Go back 6 years on this very forum and you will see something very similar. There were literally people fighting about SGR here.

I find "Racism" a very hard pill to swallow when its claimed. Simply because many many many people when they feel slighted or against someone with a different opinion from them, will often throw out these words and more accusations at the people they feel are in the wrong "on the other side of history" as it were.

Example: You will find if someone believes someone else has been racist and gets into a verbal argument with said person, they will often throw in other accusations to give more weight to their perceived side of the argument. Such as, "They are racist, homophobic, transphobic and bigoted". See the other 3 added for "effect"? Even if the other person has never said a single thing about the other 3 things, they still get added in more often than not to add more weight.

But, this does not help the original issue of jumping to the nuclear option of attempting to remove someone from the game. Poo posting, or poo talking has always been and always will be a part of dealing with others. And you will never rid yourself of talking points you do not align to.

I have given you two very important options to use to make this easier on you. Three if you count ignoring without /ignore, just roll your eyes and move on.

I dont understand why people have such a hard time ignoring someone else. No, they have to be removed (google cancel culture), they cannot be allowed to be here. Why? So they have a different view than you? I imagine many do and the world would be a very boring place if we all believed and spoke the same things (google NPC meme).

Even with all that, I would like to know what was said that is "racist" that got you so worked up as to come here?

I would like a screen shot. I would like to see what was said. Was it really racist? Did you perceive it as such? Example: Was this person degrading an entire race of people? Or was the person degrading a person who happened to be a part of this race? There is a very big difference. And since I can see you are concerned and passionate about this, I am sure you did what you were supposed to do and take a screen shot. I would like to see it, as I am sure other passive users here would.

I would agree racism is bad. But, most of what I see today as being called racism is not directed at an entire race, but a specific person of said race. Or skirting the line, a demographic that makes up some of a race, Rednecks, Gangster Rapers, etc. No one would say all whites are Rednecks and all blacks are Gangster Rappers. Do you see the difference here? So, for me, its difficult to take claims of any kind of ism as if it is real because so many cannot (or refuse to) see the differences in such things and tend to just scream out ism or phobia when it seems to be more attributed to a specific person in said group and not said group as a whole.

Depending on what the screenshot shows, I could offer more. Also me, I tend to get bored and not care, especially if someone tries to pick apart line by line my reply without addressing the original topic. As that is what I am trying to do, discuss the original topic and get more information as well as find out if this was really racist towards an entire race, or a specific person of a race. So, I will likely read, but ignore replies trying to break down my appeal for more information. Thats just me, I dont get offended, like, ever. Weather it be a point against me, or my entire race, I dont care. And I think that is what many today have a big problem with, is they care too much about what people they do not know say, do or think.

The final question I would have, that is likely addressed in the requested screenshot, what race were they being racist against? Are you a member of this race? If not a member of the race, I consider it a bit racist to speak on another races behalf or be offended on their behalf. Dont you think if its that problematic and toxic that the members of said race can speak for themselves? If you dont think they can do that, its a pretty racist way to look at that race, that they cant speak for themselves.

Finally, if SWTOR is the worst and most toxic game....why do you still play? Consider that the 4th option, you can always quit. Then, since you choose not to turn off general, ignore specific people, or use the /ignore feature, you have yet another option, quit, if its too much for you to handle. I would say its easiest to just mentally ignore people, but thats seems to not be an option here...then try the others. And if all else fails, maybe try a different game? Although I suspect that it wont be long till a completely similar post will show up on that games official forums. As having been through many many many mmo's and online games through my years, I can tell you, there are humans in all of them and not all of those humans see things the same way. This is something I learned back in 1998 with Ultima Online. There will always be people you do not agree with.

I am 47 years old. I have seen, been through and heard some stuff in my time.

But, even I cant be the only one who sees the irony of proclaiming the Dark Side and Imperial in the out of game forums complaining about bigotry and racism on the imperial side? I will save the history lesson on that as it was just something that made me kinda laugh a little inside. This part is not about the topic, just an ironic observation.

Are these people contacting you directly? If not, ignore them, their legacy, turn off general chat.

If they are contacting you directly, ignore them, problem solved.

Go back 6 years on this very forum and you will see something very similar. There were literally people fighting about SGR here.

I find "Racism" a very hard pill to swallow when its claimed. Simply because many many many people when they feel slighted or against someone with a different opinion from them, will often throw out these words and more accusations at the people they feel are in the wrong "on the other side of history" as it were.

Example: You will find if someone believes someone else has been racist and gets into a verbal argument with said person, they will often throw in other accusations to give more weight to their perceived side of the argument. Such as, "They are racist, homophobic, transphobic and bigoted". See the other 3 added for "effect"? Even if the other person has never said a single thing about the other 3 things, they still get added in more often than not to add more weight.

But, this does not help the original issue of jumping to the nuclear option of attempting to remove someone from the game. Poo posting, or poo talking has always been and always will be a part of dealing with others. And you will never rid yourself of talking points you do not align to.

I have given you two very important options to use to make this easier on you. Three if you count ignoring without /ignore, just roll your eyes and move on.

I dont understand why people have such a hard time ignoring someone else. No, they have to be removed (google cancel culture), they cannot be allowed to be here. Why? So they have a different view than you? I imagine many do and the world would be a very boring place if we all believed and spoke the same things (google NPC meme).

Even with all that, I would like to know what was said that is "racist" that got you so worked up as to come here?

I would like a screen shot. I would like to see what was said. Was it really racist? Did you perceive it as such? Example: Was this person degrading an entire race of people? Or was the person degrading a person who happened to be a part of this race? There is a very big difference. And since I can see you are concerned and passionate about this, I am sure you did what you were supposed to do and take a screen shot. I would like to see it, as I am sure other passive users here would.

I would agree racism is bad. But, most of what I see today as being called racism is not directed at an entire race, but a specific person of said race. Or skirting the line, a demographic that makes up some of a race, Rednecks, Gangster Rapers, etc. No one would say all whites are Rednecks and all blacks are Gangster Rappers. Do you see the difference here? So, for me, its difficult to take claims of any kind of ism as if it is real because so many cannot (or refuse to) see the differences in such things and tend to just scream out ism or phobia when it seems to be more attributed to a specific person in said group and not said group as a whole.

Depending on what the screenshot shows, I could offer more. Also me, I tend to get bored and not care, especially if someone tries to pick apart line by line my reply without addressing the original topic. As that is what I am trying to do, discuss the original topic and get more information as well as find out if this was really racist towards an entire race, or a specific person of a race. So, I will likely read, but ignore replies trying to break down my appeal for more information. Thats just me, I dont get offended, like, ever. Weather it be a point against me, or my entire race, I dont care. And I think that is what many today have a big problem with, is they care too much about what people they do not know say, do or think.

The final question I would have, that is likely addressed in the requested screenshot, what race were they being racist against? Are you a member of this race? If not a member of the race, I consider it a bit racist to speak on another races behalf or be offended on their behalf. Dont you think if its that problematic and toxic that the members of said race can speak for themselves? If you dont think they can do that, its a pretty racist way to look at that race, that they cant speak for themselves.

Finally, if SWTOR is the worst and most toxic game....why do you still play? Consider that the 4th option, you can always quit. Then, since you choose not to turn off general, ignore specific people, or use the /ignore feature, you have yet another option, quit, if its too much for you to handle. I would say its easiest to just mentally ignore people, but thats seems to not be an option here...then try the others. And if all else fails, maybe try a different game? Although I suspect that it wont be long till a completely similar post will show up on that games official forums. As having been through many many many mmo's and online games through my years, I can tell you, there are humans in all of them and not all of those humans see things the same way. This is something I learned back in 1998 with Ultima Online. There will always be people you do not agree with.

Well, said, sir, very well said!

I completely agree.

I guess, us, a bit older players, cannot be really bothered by some school slurs and whatever "profanity" excercised on game chats - those seem to be an inherent part of any "community". While i do not agree with it at all, with age i learned simply to ignore those. I suppose in majority no one really MEANS all those bad things - it;s just that typical "keyboard warrioring" and letting out their frustrations and simply "showing off" as if there was nothing better to do.

This behavior happens in games, at schoold at sport clubs, everywhere - because it seems it is immanent part of humans character - the willingness to degrade others for whatever reason (or no reason at all), just because that other person is somehow "different".

I suggest people listen to what Frank Zappa sang in "Dumb all over" song...

No, i do not agree to this, and in case it is personally directed to me I react with adequate force, but general babbling cannot bother me more than yesteryear's snow.

ahh kids these days....

Until you see crosses burning on yards (Google the significance), until you see an older man scream at, verbally berate, use the most vile epithets imaginable, and verbally castigate a young girl (she couldn't have been more than 5), the horrified looks on the faces of her parents (who at the time could do nothing about it), over the color of her skin, (I think she tried to cut in line), not seeing or understanding what a line or the significance of a line, you haven't experienced racism.

Yeah, I've seen some things. Things that cannot be unseen.

So turning a blind eye to this is your answer? This is called enabling. This is where ignoring such egregious actions be it physical or verbal continue to happen and never face any consequences. Burying one's head in the sand does not make the problem go away, it propagates it. Shrugging one's shoulders at this is a sign of apathy and ambivalence. History shows us what happens when people act as you suggest.

I simply just don't get offended by everything under the sun, simply put no problem exists personally considering it's just text in a chat window on an online game.

I simply just don't get offended by everything under the sun, simply put no problem exists personally considering it's just text in a chat window on an online game.

+1

A very short version of exactly what I was trying to convey. I dont know when it happened, but somewhere between 2013 and now many seem to have gained tissue paper skin, as opposed to most people above 14yo having 1" thick skin.

+1

A very short version of exactly what I was trying to convey. I dont know when it happened, but somewhere between 2013 and now many seem to have gained tissue paper skin, as opposed to most people above 14yo having 1" thick skin.

Simply put what you say and do is called apathy and ambivalence to what's going on in chat. No matter how you try to color it or explain away in long diatribes, it is an apathetic and ambivalent attitude you both have. If you do this in game, guaranteed you are that way apart from the game.

Apathy:

1. absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement.

2. lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting.

Synonym: Indifference

Dictionary.com

Ambivalent/Ambivalence

1. having mixed feelings about someone or something; being unable to choose between two (usually opposing) courses of action: The whole family was ambivalent about the move to the suburbs.She is regarded as a morally ambivalent character in the play.

2. Psychology. of or relating to the coexistence within an individual of positive and negative feelings toward the same person, object, or action, simultaneously drawing him or her in opposite directions.

Dictionary.com

Nothing in this comment condones bad behavior. Quite the opposite.

There seems to be a lot of conflation in this thread of harassment with undirected bigotry, misogyny, racism, and other sociopathies. Harassment is directed bad behavior and is more painful. Both kinds of bad behavior can be ignored (1), both can be - and ideally, are - reported with screenshot, can be gotten away from (go to another instance of the location, go to Stronghold, or to another planet) and so on. All of these help one to minimize the extent and duration of the negative interaction and help one to get on with the game and their life.

I dont know when it happened, but somewhere between 2013 and now many seem to have gained tissue paper skin, as opposed to most people above 14yo having 1" thick skin.

This is very true. This and other recent developments in the real world are very concerning, especially when I think of such people growing up and being in charge of the world. It is even more disconcerting to see these tendencies seep into the virtual worlds.

(1) Just plain ignore or put the person on Legacy Ignore.

Edited by mike_carton

Accusing people of "enabling" is just society's newest gimmick to shame and bully people for not being like-minded about a perceived problem or issue.

This game has rules about conduct. The game should enforce the rules. However, the game has only allocated a certain amount of manpower toward this goal. The result is what you see. Some customers are dissatisfied. They can choose to continue to support the company or not based on their level of satisfaction.

Inconsistent enforcement does not make a company "enablers of the bad." It just means they haven't removed basic features like chat that many other players want. Players that aren't up in arms aren't "enablers of the bad." They are players that have their own opinions and are capable of dealing with things in their own way.

It's crazy how this world wants to blame everybody for what a few bad people choose to do on their own.

Everything is bigotry now. In fact I think that's why they do it. They know all the over sensitive will get all worked up.

^^^^^^ That, right there! ^^^^^^

Apathetic and indifference is normal for me since having my thyroid removed. And I can see things much much clearer now than ever before. And believe it or not I can understand and empathize with two totally opposite views on something (Something many people cant or choose not to do, exploring a persons point of view that me be counter to their own).

And no its not enabling, not by a long shot. Thats like saying if a fight breaks out in a bar (verbal or physical) and you dont get involved, you're "enabling" the person who started it. Thats just wonky and wrong. Or if someone is robbing a store you happen to be in, you are "enabling" them for not trying to stop them. Yes, in both they are heightened scenario's, but the most part, the exact same thing.

Its like ignoring the "class clown" for acting like an idiot. Loudmouths in gen chat are pretty much the class clown, court jester or village idiot.

Unless what is being said is directed at you and you specifically; why are people getting offended? Oh well, I dont get it. But, unless its outright harassment or against the TOS (blatantly), people actually have the right and freedom to speak about whatever they wish, even if it is offensive. And everyone else has the right to ignore the 'typed letters on screen'. Either with the ignore feature, or like me, just roll my eyes and let it roll off my back like water off of a ducks back. Sticks and Stones and all that.

Like I said, people need to grow thicker skin, learn to ignore or not even care what others say. Believe me, in the end, learning to be able to do this and not have what someone else says (especially if not directed at you) effect you in any way will make your mental fortitude stronger. And I promise you, you will be much happier, MUCH HAPPIER, in life in general.

Oh, finally, condescendingly quoting the meaning of words and linking to dictionary,com is uncalled for, passive aggressive and downright childish.

Getting down off my soapbox now.

i am probably part of the oldest (70). i heard a lot, saw a lot and endure a lot even in gaming (personal harassment, hacking, and more. I was way younger and was reacting immediatly (south character and french :p)

Since, i realised that unfortunatly they do this to provoke us, to get attention, repeating often what was in some disturbing movie, or unfortunatly in family, to shock us and if they succeed by having only 1 answer they are happy.

We all, i imagine, have an old grump who likes from time to time to go swearing and yell insanities. I had one (that was enough) and i put things in place. But i can not do that for others. And you can not.

As you i was mad to have to close my chat, but i went to it.

And if the harassment comes to me in whisper, usually i ignore. I had some contacting me via some of their friends to apologize because they were drunk, but that was not a good excuse for me. So to this day they are still ignored.

I do not feel that i am accepting them, or even tolering them. This is not my game, this is not my life its theirs. One day they will meet someone who will jump at their throat because of words they pronunced, and that day they will think, may be. And its not my problem. Its theirs.

My sons were never allowed to speak this way, and they understood the meaning of respect. And it is now the turn of my gran'son. He learns. He comes back to school some days with some nasty vocabulary. We explain. talk, and if necessary enforce. And no, do not think that we speak a pure langage :p I am from Corsica and south france, and our vocabulary sometimes would make a saint turn red. But we are in our homes. Or some very dear friends homes. And this is privacy.

Gaming is not privacy. For some its liberty to be anything because no one can see you. JUST IGNORE THEM

IGNORE THEM, dont wait to see if the chat will stop. IGNORE.

i am probably part of the oldest (70). i heard a lot, saw a lot and endure a lot even in gaming (personal harassment, hacking, and more. I was way younger and was reacting immediatly (south character and french :p)

Since, i realised that unfortunatly they do this to provoke us, to get attention, repeating often what was in some disturbing movie, or unfortunatly in family, to shock us and if they succeed by having only 1 answer they are happy.

We all, i imagine, have an old grump who likes from time to time to go swearing and yell insanities. I had one (that was enough) and i put things in place. But i can not do that for others. And you can not.

As you i was mad to have to close my chat, but i went to it.

And if the harassment comes to me in whisper, usually i ignore. I had some contacting me via some of their friends to apologize because they were drunk, but that was not a good excuse for me. So to this day they are still ignored.

I do not feel that i am accepting them, or even tolering them. This is not my game, this is not my life its theirs. One day they will meet someone who will jump at their throat because of words they pronunced, and that day they will think, may be. And its not my problem. Its theirs.

My sons were never allowed to speak this way, and they understood the meaning of respect. And it is now the turn of my gran'son. He learns. He comes back to school some days with some nasty vocabulary. We explain. talk, and if necessary enforce. And no, do not think that we speak a pure langage :p I am from Corsica and south france, and our vocabulary sometimes would make a saint turn red. But we are in our homes. Or some very dear friends homes. And this is privacy.

Gaming is not privacy. For some its liberty to be anything because no one can see you. JUST IGNORE THEM

IGNORE THEM, dont wait to see if the chat will stop. IGNORE.

Beautiful. Just, 100% beautiful. Having 20 years on me, you put in to more detail what I was thinking and with more IRL baked in. :)