GSF Needs a separate Q for Premades/Groups

Peglas

Well Said Ramalina.

Actually at this point I've decided its downright rude and ungrateful to be saying the things Dark Tergon is saying. Drakolich has done loads to help GSF players. Coaching, analyses videos, Q&A sessions, instructional videos. Despon made the legendary and still very relevant GSF School. Sriia made the GSF discord, a guide and a compilation of other guides. Numerous people have made guides. Me the newest contributor to this side of things; coaching and analysis videos. Stradin organised the training sessions for multiple newbies at once. Then there are countless seasoned players who help people privately without any public knowledge, or just answer newbies on discord and here. I am certain you guys can name other notable contributors to providing assistance to the masses. Quite honestly, the evil Aces have gone above and beyond the call of duty in trying to help people in GSF, the thanks we get for it by Dark Tergon, is get out of the player pool thanks. Downright rude and inconsiderate.

You seem to have knocked your halo from your head while you were patting yourself on the back so much. What is rude, is for you to make it personal, I never attacked anyone personally, my first post did say remove, but after that it continually said choice. I even edited it, and left a note, so certain people wouldn't accuse me of changing it to look better. Just because you've done stuff for the community, doesn't put you above reproach, it doesn't mean you can't be questioned, and it doesn't mean you are always right. If that was the case, there are plenty of people here, who'd qualify as gods, they've helped out so much, and they've never needed to pat themselves on the back over it. Not to mention, they've helped the WHOLE community, no just a niche group. But go ahead, keep with the personal attacks, if you really want to make it personal, I can tell you about my disabilities, or maybe give you some old nick names I used to be called. If you can't accept ideas without attacking the person who's making them, well, nothing more can be said.

Edited by DarkTergon

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/snipd.

Very nice post. And I agree, maybe group matches aren't the way, I did admit that earlier. The ranked idea, was to let the aces have their challenge while allowing the newbies a chance to grow. But as you said, GS people are another issue, but it's an issue that could have been sorted, a lot of those who do it for GS, would try harder, if there was a point, but when you see badly lopsided matches, you give up, get bored, then just, stop, a lot of matches today had at least 2 people AFK for most of the match, or you have the GS people just flying in a straight line. Some of these may have wanted to learn at the start, but gave up, because they see no point.

I don't know what the answer is, but when GS stops, or CQ points get done evenly, what will happen to gsf then, will it go back to obscurity

Wow, I actually had a lot to say didn't I? Sorry. But lastly, I want to ask a question about SW:Squadrons. SWS has dedicated Group and Solo queues. So Solo players don't get matched against groups, and vice versa. It also has, I would think, a better match maker? So those two things given, how are the games? Overall balanced? Or still a hot mess? Or somewhere in between? Genuine question, because if it didn't work in SWS, it wont work here. And as GSF has a smaller player base than SWS, separate queues would only kill pops.

So the way the Squadrons matchmaker works is because the teams are a max of 5, it pits exactly the same sized premades against each other, that's it. It's not really based on much else.

So for some examples if you queue as 2 players, you'll get 3 solo's on your team and the enemy team gets a 2 player team and 3 solo's.

Or if you queue as a 5 player team, you'll fight another 5 player team.

Now because there isn't always another team of the same size sometimes it will go up or down by 1 on one side, for example a 4 player team and 1 solo, might fight a 5 player team. Or a 2 player team and 3 solo's might fight a 3 player team and 2 solo's.

The balance is still a disaster with people complaining about the matchmaker more then any other thing lol.

Just to give you an example I had a 97% win rate on my main, and 98% win rate on my alt account. Basically the only games we ever lost were against other tournament teams, however because all matchmakers take "how long you're in queue" as one of the biggest things to look at, it's always going to throw you into a match at some point.

Most of the time we'd just screw around on dumb ships and have fun with it :)

Let me know if you have more questions ^^

I don't know what the answer is, but when GS stops, or CQ points get done evenly, what will happen to gsf then, will it go back to obscurity

I've been playing since launch, and every player that has hated losing has threatened this and it still hasn't happened yet.

it isn't FUN to me using the mouse to fly.

Practice and you'll find it fun, once you learn to fly with it. Will it ever replace a flightstick in your heart? Of course not.

The linked threads explain EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS though. If they add the joystick, it's either better than the mouse, or worse than the mouse. You can already have it worse than the mouse. But there's a million other reasons why they won't do this, and mostly it comes down to the simple fact that adding joystick support to SWTOR is a large task. Even NEW games using an engine that HAS joystick support (unlike SWTOR), such as Star Wars Squadrons, had a bunch of dumb issues at the start related to controls. I distinctly recall Squadrons launching with a small "maximum number of buttons" that they had to patch out, for instance- and again, they used an engine with flighstick support already, which SWTOR lacks.

So, let me be clear please: All i want is to use the same 'flight stick' (joystick) that i had with Xwing:Alliance and SWG JTL and even now with SW:Squadrons

You can try mapping it to your mouse, but you'll probably have a worse time than using the mouse.

So, there's a genre of mouse-flown games- where you fly from outside the ship- that didn't really catch on, because they have full three space flight, and people look at the game and think "this is more approachable than a cockpit", and then wham, riiiight into a rock. The game to try out- that inspired GSF- is Star Conflict. Now that game, I think they added joystick support to at some point, but you'll probably want to play it with the mouse, as it's extremely similar to GSF in that it was designed for it, with gimballed weapons (Star Conflict even has fully turreted ships, where you can fly in one direction while whipping your turreuts around at something on your tail, manually aiming it with like six turrets at once).

I don't think you'll like it better than GSF or anything, but you'll see kind of what GSF came from- only part of its DNA is the old X-Wing series of games from the 90s.

In other words, how is it my fault that i have (or can afford) a particular flight-stick but some other people don't (or can't) ?

It's certainly not. Just as it isn't your fault that you can cream some kids in a pay2win mobile game. The problem is when the game changes what it is midway through. If a game comes out with flightstick support, we all line up and play that with flightsticks, right? And then I'm on your side of the argument. But GSF isn't a pay2win mobile game, and I'd be furious if it became one. Neither does it want you to have a great flightsick, and a lot of players would be cross were it to be added.

Making a game really key on hardware support any time other than at launch is a terrible plan.

Secondly, how would it even be an "advantage" if every single other player had access to the exact same 'joystick support' ?

I have like nearly a grand of Virpil stuff on the floor next to my desk- and you'd want a good one for GSF, because you'd want some way to get that reticule to do its job- are not cheap. Would you be happy to play the game if you needed a 3090 to get playable frames in it?

i've never had a *mic* for voice-comms

You should get that immediately. It's really cheap, first of all, and it offers an immense improvement to all team play. It's also been standard gaming equipment in team games since the 90s.

how come it works just fine in other flying games?

They tell you about it. OR, and this is disgustingly common, they just make M+X vastly superior. Even Squadrons added a soft reset to mouse play, where if you stop moving the mouse, the virtual pilot will actually push the stick opposite the direction you were just going, whereas a neutral stick position doesn't do that, and you have to actually push the stick contrary, which is a kind of a medium deal. Many other games just flat out attach autoaim to mice.

When I wrote those older posts, that stuff was really common. Nowadays I see developers trying hard to balance flight stick and mice, but they usually do it with subtle disadvantages for the flight stick instead of autoaim stuff for mouse.

Anyway, other flying games launch promising to support stuff like that. SWTOR did not.

What if there was a 'mouse player' queue and a 'joystick player' queue

Dude, this breaks my heart so hard. I know we have a bunch of players in queue right now, but it's a bit unusual- SWTOR just added cool stuff and WoW is pooping their bedpan. Even with like seven times the activity we had a year and a half ago, you'd never see the "joystick queue" pop.

I've been playing since launch, and every player that has hated losing has threatened this and it still hasn't happened yet.

No one has threatened anything, but it's a fact it's a niche thing, that had very few players till the cq points got boosted, that's when more people started playing, and then add in GS, that's when the queues started popping regularly.

It's not about winning or losing, it's about sustainability , and for the record, my win average is above 60%, may not be great compared to the aces, but it'll do for CQ/GS.

No one has threatened anything, but it's a fact it's a niche thing, that had very few players till the cq points got boosted, that's when more people started playing, and then add in GS, that's when the queues started popping regularly.

It's not about winning or losing, it's about sustainability , and for the record, my win average is above 60%, may not be great compared to the aces, but it'll do for CQ/GS.

For the record, since I was here in GSF and you were not... pre the CQ changes GSF was popping one match back to back from around 10:00am onward. And at the biggest peak times, Friday, Saturday evenings and after weekly reset, you would see two active or overlapping games. When the CQ changes came in it didn't change much during the day, but we regularly saw 2-3 matches most evenings. Galactic Seasons, was what sent it into the stratosphere with up to 6 active games at peak and 2-3 active games during the day. So you can moan about sustaining GSF all you like, its been here for a long time and it will keep being here until SWTOR ends.We got on fine before Galactic Seasons, and it will be fine if Galactic Seasons stops. Although lets be real, it won't. The whole point of GS is to get people to participate in all aspects of the game.

You seem to have knocked your halo from your head while you were patting yourself on the back so much. What is rude, is for you to make it personal, I never attacked anyone personally, my first post did say remove, but after that it continually said choice. I even edited it, and left a note, so certain people wouldn't accuse me of changing it to look better. Just because you've done stuff for the community, doesn't put you above reproach, it doesn't mean you can't be questioned, and it doesn't mean you are always right. If that was the case, there are plenty of people here, who'd qualify as gods, they've helped out so much, and they've never needed to pat themselves on the back over it. Not to mention, they've helped the WHOLE community, no just a niche group. But go ahead, keep with the personal attacks, if you really want to make it personal, I can tell you about my disabilities, or maybe give you some old nick names I used to be called. If you can't accept ideas without attacking the person who's making them, well, nothing more can be said.

Dude, I can't even. The self righteousness in the face of everyone telling you otherwise. Accusing me of personal attacks because I disagree with you. And now you brought disabilities into it, assuming, ignorantly, that I don't have any. I am done with you. I'll let the others take this from here on.

The balance is still a disaster with people complaining about the matchmaker more then any other thing lol.

So, this is the nail in the coffin to the entire debate. The newest hottest flight sim around, has got the exact matchmaker requirements that is being asked for here. Solos vs solos and groups vs groups, as best as it can with the available queue. Then it also has a dedicated ranked queue. But despite both of these matchmaker features, and despite it having a much larger player base, the matchmaking is still a hot mess. Why? Because skill matters. It doesn't matter how good you make matchmaker, if the skill divide is huge, games will be lop-sided.

Why are we debating this? If it won't work with SW:Squadrons, it won't work here with a smaller player base. SW:Squadrons can afford these matchmaker features because it still has the player base to get pops, for now at least, since its still new. But GSF is a game within a game, the proposed matchmaker changes would kill pops. We just don't have the player baser to sustain it like SWS does.

Don't get me wrong, if the devs want to bring in ranked GSF I am all for it, but it won't sort out the hot mess that is match balance, and it probably won't pop much if at all. Group only queue? Forget it, it will never pop.

There really is no point arguing this further. SWS did it, it didn't work, it won't work here.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

For the record, since I was here in GSF and you were not... pre the CQ changes GSF was popping one match back to back from around 10:00am onward. And at the biggest peak times, Friday, Saturday evenings and after weekly reset, you would see two active or overlapping games. When the CQ changes came in it didn't change much during the day, but we regularly saw 2-3 matches most evenings. Galactic Seasons, was what sent it into the stratosphere with up to 6 active games at peak and 2-3 active games during the day. So you can moan about sustaining GSF all you like, its been here for a long time and it will keep being here until SWTOR ends.We got on fine before Galactic Seasons, and it will be fine if Galactic Seasons stops. Although lets be real, it won't. The whole point of GS is to get people to participate in all aspects of the game.

really, popping that much...then why all the hysterics about boosting GSF points, why all the crying on the forums, that GSF had to cue for ages to get matches, and that it wasn't fair PvE players had lots of stuff to do while GSF players had to sit around twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do. I have played GSF before, as I've said, but you seem to only read, or remember what you want. The queues didn't start popping till GSF got boosted,. You seem to have a very short memory.

Dude, I can't even. The self righteousness in the face of everyone telling you otherwise. Accusing me of personal attacks because I disagree with you. And now you brought disabilities into it, assuming, ignorantly, that I don't have any. I am done with you. I'll let the others take this from here on.

Again, short memories, YOU attacked me on the other post, for NO reason, all because I dared tell the world that some people do cheat in GSF.... Shock of all shock, so save your fake BS. I haven't once actually attacked you, I've disagreed, but never attacked you, nor singled you out. Please be done with me put me on ignore, you have nothing to contribute to this. At least the other people that disagreed with me, were decent, and had credible arguments, and not "oh you are out to get me, poor me" The self righteousness came straight from your first post , where you decided that you were the moral high ground, and anyone who spoke against you was wrong.

On the other thread you claimed that people pointing out the cheats/exploits were bad form , take a look at your behaviour recently, do you think that is good form? Your halo is tarnished

You're right about one thing, this has turned toxic, and reflects badly on the community. So you do you, and I'll do me, and leave it at that. What will happen will happen

Edited by DarkTergon

Dark Tergon, you seem to feel that people have ganged up to jump all over your posts in this thread, Luc in particular.

To be fair, Luc is a bit thin skinned when it comes to people complaining about skill, and has been less than entirely diplomatic. Don't take it personally I guess?

For the rest however:

Dark Tergon being specifically insulting, at least by implication that Luc is seflish, only cares about winning, and really only likes beating up on newbs

Again, this is just big fish syndrome.

You care about yourself, and the status quo, I'd rather see a more fair system that would benefit all, especially the new players. There's a lot of them at the moment, I'd like to see them stay, but with the way things are, they are either going to leave, or just be numbers that the aces can farm, although that could be what you want.

Dark Tergon being insulting to all skilled players in general

. . . but here's the kicker, the people that supposedly do care about it, are happy to keep people down the bottom, . .

Dark Tergon being insulting to all skilled players in general again, and adding claims that are factually false too boot. Ignorance of whether or not aces like to play against each other is no excuse given how easy it is to find out, this thread is stuffed with them, you could have just asked.

And there we have it, the aces unite and try to put down someone who wants to improve the game, blaming it on being because I'm not good etc. The real issue is you're all afraid your queues won't pop, you'll have to actually play against each other, you won't have any more newbies to feed your kills. You only care abut quantity, not quality

Dark Tergon being mildly insulting to a specific person, but mostly just sulky and whiny

But your right status quo is fine, and that's what matters, the queue will continue to pop, and that's what matters.

Guess I'll go back to doing the minimum to get my CQ & GS points, to hell with trying to win.

Dark Tergon being insulting to skilled players in general, though it seems it's probably mostly aimed at Luc, also getting a bit repetitive.

No spiteful is people holding on to their elite position, winning match after match because they've maxed ship, they are ranked equivalent, and are happy shooting newbies, that's spiteful. Spiteful is wanting quantity over quality, it's 'i don't care, as long as I get my pop attitude'

Dark Tergon blurring the line on honesty pretty hard

I haven't personally attacked anyone, what you quote wasn't directed at anyone, unlike the person who actually accused me of being spiteful, so please get your facts straight.

You didn't outright name Luc and Dakath when you took shots at them, but it was clear enough in your replies who you were talking about that you didn't really need to. It's not really something where you can expect to get a pass on it based on a technicality.

Going back and looking at the first page, I do see that Luc sort of started it by importing an argument that the two of you had going on in another thread, which isn't really good etiquette. However, it's fairly easy to miss that bit of context if someone isn't keeping track of that thread, and you've generally been rude and disrespectful to any and all skilled players throughout your posts in this thread. That's why you're not piling up friends and allies and are getting responses that are rather cranky in tone. It's because, you, in your posts, are setting the tone that other people are basing their interactions with you on.

It puzzled me for a while. I was reading through this thread and thought, "Wait, why do all my posts here sound so cranky. What's going on?" I wouldn't have noticed or commented if I hadn't been a bit upset at how cranky my posts were coming out to be. Apologies for that by the way.

It's certainly allowed to be abrasive on the forums. You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last, but the reaction of other people to your tone seems to bother you, so perhaps some self reflection is in order.

If you want to have a fight with a specific person, you might actually want to be more specific so that your attempts to remain somewhat civil with them don't accidentally morph into a generalized low grade antagonism that hits a bunch of other people as collateral damage.:)

For the rest however:

Dark Tergon being specifically insulting, at least by implication that Luc is seflish, only cares about winning, and really only likes beating up on newbs

That was directed at not him, but the people that seemed happy to keep the status quo, it was a royal 'you' As that's how it looks from the outside

I can understand people not wanting change, but people seemed dead set on doing something that could possibly help ALL new players, not just those lucky enough to be on the right server, or know the right people, or just happen to see the right post that points to help. So sorry for trying to help people, and seeing the negative that some people have...i guess.

And of course the rest is because a cabal of players, probably friends, probably in the same group, probably, well you get the picture, all seemed dead set on not helping everyone, only one person actually put up a reasonable post, so if I was on the defensive, it was because I was pushed there.

The op and I were looking for some way to improve the game, the experience for new players, the players that give out in every match, or just give up. But as there's no support for changes, guess it's not what people want.

For the record, I don't want to fight with anyone, what I want is swtor to be the best it can be for everyone, so that it can actually last and not die out, like some MMO's have.

It's irrelevant, nothings going to change in the near future, what will be, will be.

Edited by DarkTergon

To be fair, Luc is a bit thin skinned when it comes to people complaining about skill, and has been less than entirely diplomatic.

I don't want to recount details, because I want to be done with it now, but yes I have a very short tolerance for him.

I do see that Luc sort of started it by importing an argument that the two of you had going on in another thread, which isn't really good etiquette.
I imported a discussion from another thread to here, because it was directly applicable to this topic. Where as it had nothing to do with my video highlights thread. I could see it being bad etiquette if I imported a private discussion here, but I didn't. It was an open discussion on an open forum that everyone can read, and it was very relevant to this discussion. Edited by Ttoilleekul

Practice and you'll find it fun, once you learn to fly with it.

uh, i've been "practicing" since GSF first launched lol ( not to mention all regular space-on-rails missions i've done since 2012 too ) . However, i should amend my prior statement: GSF with a mouse is fun, but it just isn't nearly as fun (nor as "realistic" ) than it could be with a flight-stick.....imho.

I played GSF for a bit last nite actually and had a blast (pun intended :D ) . But , like always, after finishing my GSF session i just kept thinking the same thing i always think: "gosh this would be so awesome with my Logitech flight-stick" :cool:

The linked threads explain EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS though.

Yeah i know, but somehow hearing/reading it today in your new post was better and more digestable.

So, thanks again for posting & replying! -- /tip-hat

The game to try out- that inspired GSF- is Star Conflict.

nah, i only play STAR WARS games. (well, except maybe ESO sometimes)

The problem is when the game changes what it is midway through.

oh gosh don't even get me started lol i come from SWG, remember? (re: Pre-cu to CU debacle ...and... CU to NGE betrayal :mad: )

p.s. You umm been over to the PTS forums lately for upcoming 7.0 LotS? --> https://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=308 .... hashtag concerned :eek:

Making a game really key on hardware support any time other than at launch is a terrible plan.

Yep i hear ya. Although , in a way, SWTOR is sorta backwards in that regard , since supposedly it runs better on OLDER computers lol

Would you be happy to play the game if you needed a 3090 to get playable frames in it?

Probably not but that's a bit extreme example imo, since we're talking about "needing" a new peripheral , not an entire setup. But i get your point.

You should get that *mic* immediately. It's really cheap, first of all, and it offers an immense improvement to all team play. It's also been standard gaming equipment in team games since the 90s.

nah , not gonna happen for me and tbh i've been doing just fine (even thrived) in all areas & achievements of SWTOR, SWG, ESO, you name it.

Think of me as the typing 'Snake Eyes' of STAR WARS games? :sy_title:

Even Squadrons added a soft reset to mouse play, where if you stop moving the mouse, the virtual pilot will actually push the stick opposite the direction you were just going, whereas a neutral stick position doesn't do that, and you have to actually push the stick contrary, which is a kind of a medium deal. Many other games just flat out attach autoaim to mice.

I've really been trying to get into SW:Squadrons more lately but i dunno....it's a beautiful game but something just feels....off about it.

I can't quite figure out why though. :confused:

And, frankly, i somehow have more fun "flying" in Battlefront-2 with mouse than i do Squadrons with flight-stick.

Go figure. (it might be the sound effects in BF-2 are better...i dunno )

Dude, this breaks my heart so hard. I know we have a bunch of players in queue right now, but it's a bit unusual-

Even with like seven times the activity we had a year and a half ago, you'd never see the "joystick queue" pop.

Yeah it was another one of my laser-brained ideas is all. See ya among the *stars* ! :sy_starship: (and thanks again for all the info & such :ph_good_post: )

Edited by Nee-Elder

I don't want to recount details, because I want to be done with it now, but yes I have a very short tolerance for him.

I imported a discussion from another thread to here, because it was directly applicable to this topic. Where as it had nothing to do with my video highlights thread. I could see it being bad etiquette if I imported a private discussion here, but I didn't. It was an open discussion on an open forum that everyone can read, and it was very relevant to this discussion.

It goes back to the fact I had the audacity to talk about cheating, which happens in the game, that is how it started. The other thread I was showing different matches, in response to what someone else said, and yet again (but no, you could have just left it at that, it wasn't directed at you, just showing the other player that spawn camping happens, but you had jump in, all feet first) , you came in ham fisted, and then dragged it over here

Edited by DarkTergon

Retrocide's perspective on things (im posting for him since he isnt a sub at this time)

I get the frustration as someone who's almost exclusively solo. The last time I grouped was with Cliff for one match and it was so one-sided I might have even started skybolt/ocula. And the reason I almost never group is just that as I know the playerbase just isn't at that level.

Full disclosure my interest in swtor as a whole has waned but given I came back purely for GSF the state of GSF is reflective of that as well.

While it would be nice to not have to worry about groups in queue --- the PAINFUL TRUTH is there aren't enough participants to justify another queue, whether it be grouped or ranked. Considering the state ranked is in on Satele, for GSF it would be worse.

Apathy has also been a constant in GSF, even amongst vets. Most of why I'm better than most players is simply because I cared enough to get better and constantly refine my performance, particularly in one-sided matches where my team is the side struggling.

Adding to the apathy is that most participants now are new and lack both the experience and understanding to be even relatively proficient. While grouping can definitely create one-sided matches, the matchmaker itself isn't without blame. But in fairness, matchmaker rarely has anything decent to work with which is why the truly competitive matches (read ones where both sides put up a solid fight and either coud win) are so rare.

But as much as I've been annoyed by grouping over the years, the biggest culprit is the playerbase and general lack of skill from their general lack of interest.

The only thing that's kept me from not dropping swtor completely isn't GSF, but not having yet gotten the psychadelic grandma gambling glasses for my main. I even have both the strongholds from seasons. Matches to me are now a painful chore where its not so much which team plays better but which one performs worse than the other.

So while a lot of these posters may not seem to get where you're coming from, there is at least one "ace" that hasn't lost that perspective."

• 2 weeks later...
Galactic Seasons has me trying GSF. It's a totally different game from anything I have ever played so the learning curve is fairly steep. In the pvp warzones you have at least a chance of survivability if you don't have much gear but in GSF you get blown up at the start because your ship is weak. (Yes, skill matters, but upgrades can buy you some time while you are learning). I see the point in wanting to have a separate Q for Premades/Groups but that's the same kind of frustration argument in warzones and I am not convinced there are a bunch of premades running around. I think a ranked/unranked system would be better for GSF. Getting spawn killed or tunneled by aces gets old fast. I mean, without the rewards, GSF would be dead imho. Not sure what a good solution would look like other than not trying to run up the score on the new or less skilled pilots. Personally, I put that into practice. Other than vanity, what's the point of a lopsided game?

Other than vanity, what's the point of a lopsided game?

Keeping someone in a game they can't possibly win for longer than you have to is just plain cruel. People don't care that they lost by a lot; they care that they lost. Dragging it out doesn't help them feel like it was less lopsided, because they still couldn't accomplish anything. All you do in that scenario is waste their time and yours. Get it over with and hope matchmaker does better next time.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Not sure what a good solution would look like other than not trying to run up the score on the new or less skilled pilots. Personally, I put that into practice. Other than vanity, what's the point of a lopsided game?

Well the point of a computer game in theory is to have fun, so try to find a way to have fun with it.

I don't mind the losing end of lopsided matches, because it's a great opportunity to try to push flying skills to the limit, and maybe even expand how far out that limit is. I'm aware that that's a very minority opinion to take though.

For the winning side, well that's where you take your beacon bomber at least 10 km from the nearest cover and start dogfighting people with it. Challenge for the bomber pilot, practice time for opponents to try to figure out how to fly and shoot at the same time. Kills on battlescouts and gunships count double. Triple if you're not using HLCs. ;)

I often keep a "fun" build on the bar for this sort of situation, though if the character doesn't have one at the moment I'll go with either a tensor scout or a bomber dogfighting away from cover.