Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do we know why Rakata lost their force connection?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Do we know why Rakata lost their force connection?

ralphieceaser's Avatar


ralphieceaser
11.25.2021 , 11:34 PM | #1
In general do we have any lore regarding as to why they started losing their force connection?

Could it be the force itself deciding to intervene to balance things since otherwise Rakata seemed unstoppable

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
11.26.2021 , 01:21 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ralphieceaser View Post
In general do we have any lore regarding as to why they started losing their force connection?

Could it be the force itself deciding to intervene to balance things since otherwise Rakata seemed unstoppable
I think the in-game lore just says that they lost that connection.

On Wookieepedia at https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rakata/Legends it says, "The Rakata suddenly and inexplicably began to lose their connection to the Force. Worse, they were unable to uncover the source of their failing sensitivity. Rakatan scientists came up with numerous speculative hypotheses to explain their worsening condition, but in the end, all of their guesses proved incorrect.[1] In time, it would be revealed that a mysterious mutation in the plague had caused it to strip the Builders of their powers.[14]."

Reference 14 is "The New Essential Chronology", described at https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The...ial_Chronology

The plague mentioned in the highlighted text was unleashed, probably, by one of their slave species, targeted specifically to destroy the Rakata.
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
12.01.2021 , 10:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I think the in-game lore just says that they lost that connection.

On Wookieepedia at https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rakata/Legends it says, "The Rakata suddenly and inexplicably began to lose their connection to the Force. Worse, they were unable to uncover the source of their failing sensitivity. Rakatan scientists came up with numerous speculative hypotheses to explain their worsening condition, but in the end, all of their guesses proved incorrect.[1] In time, it would be revealed that a mysterious mutation in the plague had caused it to strip the Builders of their powers.[14]."

Reference 14 is "The New Essential Chronology", described at https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The...ial_Chronology

The plague mentioned in the highlighted text was unleashed, probably, by one of their slave species, targeted specifically to destroy the Rakata.
Yes, I read that a long time ago, and didn't like that idea any more than I did the idea of mitichlorians. "Yes sir, don't like having the Force? Well then buddy just step right up, and one jab of penicillin in your left arm and BOOM we'll knock that pesky metaphysical paranormal phenomenon right out of there!"
About my SWTOR guilds
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
12.02.2021 , 12:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Yes, I read that a long time ago, and didn't like that idea any more than I did the idea of mitichlorians. "Yes sir, don't like having the Force? Well then buddy just step right up, and one jab of penicillin in your left arm and BOOM we'll knock that pesky metaphysical paranormal phenomenon right out of there!"
If midichlorians are a thing, and required to have Force sensitivity, then it's reasonable to think that a plague targeted at the Rakata could mutate and also take out their midichlorians, but yeah, I felt that the whole midichlorian thing was a lame idea.
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
12.02.2021 , 02:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
If midichlorians are a thing, and required to have Force sensitivity, then it's reasonable to think that a plague targeted at the Rakata could mutate and also take out their midichlorians, but yeah, I felt that the whole midichlorian thing was a lame idea.
Yeah, the whole idea that something physical can affect something metaphysical doesn't sit well with me.
Either the force is truly a spiritual influence, or it's just something that can be rid of in a VD clinic.
About my SWTOR guilds
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

DoritobanditZ's Avatar


DoritobanditZ
12.07.2021 , 12:25 PM | #6
It was explained, even ingame if i remember correctly

Since the Force is a "living thing" that requires balance, it will act if a massive imbalance is happening.

The Rakata controlled the whole Galaxy and exclusively used the Dark Side, meaning there was a ridiculous imbalance happening. Since that imbalance couldn't be attacked by outside forces (like an opposing Faction, there was none) the Force had to take action itself.
And it indeed took action. By cutting of every single Rakatan from the Force.

EAFSAMWISE's Avatar


EAFSAMWISE
12.08.2021 , 12:00 AM | #7
There genuinely seems to be a running theme at least throughout Legends material that individuals and even groups will lose their connection to the Force if they are a threat on a massive scale. The reason this doesn't happen to all Dark-Side users is bc the Force may still need some to exist on some level to prevent the Light Side from stagnating. This is why atrocities against Jedi happened from time to time and the perpetrators weren't cut off. But generally people who commit atrocities on a WIDE scale will lose their Force connection. It needs to be under very extreme circumstances though. In the case of the Exile, she only lost it temporarily whereas the Rakata and even the Yuuzhan Vong seem to have lost it permanently due to abuse of it on such a large scale. One could argue this is why the Original Sith species went extinct as well since their culture and order was gradually swallowed up by humans and diluted.

ralphieceaser's Avatar


ralphieceaser
12.08.2021 , 03:21 AM | #8
Considering wounds in the force are a thing, and they can be caused by massive, world scale tragedies like malachor.
One could argue the force is doing that as a form of self preservation, which further makes you wonder what would happen if enough wounds in the force are caused, what happens if the force dies because you dont need to be a force user to commit planet wide destruction.

turbomagnus's Avatar


turbomagnus
12.08.2021 , 09:36 PM | #9
The more we talk about the Force like this, the more I'm somehow reminded of The Planet and the Lifestream from the Final Fantasy VII universe/compilation. In those games, if The Planet was harmed enough or under a dire enough threat, it created/released living weapons (uncreatively dubbed by humans as 'WEAPON' and typically codenamed after gemstones; Topaz, Onyx, Diamond, etc....) that were tasked to either destroy what was harming/threatening The Planet or cause enough living beings to 'return to The Planet' and 'join the Lifestream' to provide The Planet the energy needed to possibly survive the threat.

Both Lightsiders (Jedi, mainly) and Darksiders (Sith, especially) have legends or prophecies about beings created by the Force, whether they use the term 'Chosen One', 'Sith'ari', or something else entirely, that serve a purpose of restoring balance by destroying whatever is threatening that balance. Admittedly, both Jedi and SIth seem to put a heavy emphasis on the destruction of the other group in their own legends regarding such a thing. If we remove the idea of a single 'Chosen One'/''Sith'ari' and instead consider a succession of them...

Dethstrow's Avatar


Dethstrow
01.06.2022 , 03:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post
The more we talk about the Force like this, the more I'm somehow reminded of The Planet and the Lifestream from the Final Fantasy VII universe/compilation. In those games, if The Planet was harmed enough or under a dire enough threat, it created/released living weapons (uncreatively dubbed by humans as 'WEAPON' and typically codenamed after gemstones; Topaz, Onyx, Diamond, etc....) that were tasked to either destroy what was harming/threatening The Planet or cause enough living beings to 'return to The Planet' and 'join the Lifestream' to provide The Planet the energy needed to possibly survive the threat.

Both Lightsiders (Jedi, mainly) and Darksiders (Sith, especially) have legends or prophecies about beings created by the Force, whether they use the term 'Chosen One', 'Sith'ari', or something else entirely, that serve a purpose of restoring balance by destroying whatever is threatening that balance. Admittedly, both Jedi and SIth seem to put a heavy emphasis on the destruction of the other group in their own legends regarding such a thing. If we remove the idea of a single 'Chosen One'/''Sith'ari' and instead consider a succession of them...
This makes me believe that the last time that the galaxy saw true peace was before the first schism of the jed'dai. Back when the first order of force users, after the Rakatan infinite empire, were studying all aspects of the Force.