Nadia Grell. Please just get rid of her! (Consular class story spoilers)

winterjane

Ok. Just thought you might care to know, and file if you file comments, that after doing the Javelin quest I'm giving up on my class quest after working hard to get his far. The reason? Simply that Nadia Grell has been forced on me as a 'super special' companion over whom my character is allowed no control at all, and I just find it too irritating. The other companions are OK (well apart from the sad teenage-boy-pleasing addition of Holiday to Tharan), but Nadia beggars belief. She's everything a badly-designed npc can be - perky teenage girl who suddenly develops superpowers that outshine those of 'the hero', all the other npcs go on and on about how super special she is as she blithely ignores orders (including one not to commit murder for goodness' sake); while a consular plays out years of training, this Mary Sue npc needs none at all just miraculously becomes a fully functional jedi in the space of two days - and was in my case forced on a hero who said point blank I did not want her on my ship. Because my healer consular, oddly, doesn't want a murderer who ignores her orders around.

At the point where I was forced to have my jedi character take her as padawan against my character's strong and valid objection, any illusion that I was in any way 'driving' my class quest - or indeed central to it - went out of the window. Nooooo, BioWare wants me to have perky Mary Sue girl, because that's the kind of female they like creating for their games, so that's what I will jolly well have!

Still, I thought as a player, I can just not use her as a companion right? Leave her on the ship and try to pretend she doesn't exist?

Nah. Nadia is so so super-special, that the whole point of Javelin is for her to succeed where everyone else fails, ignore yet another order, and now my class quest forces me to go looking for her? Forget it. If the rest of my class quest involves being Nadia's fan club, then it's not my idea of fun and it's not something I shall waste any more time on.

Do you think one day, you might create some female npcs that don't make female players want to strangle them five seconds after meeting? Your cookie-cutter 'super special teeange girls' (Nadia, Kira, Mako) are dull as ditchwater and irritating as all get out. Imagine if say, Iresso's stoy were written the same way as Nadia's - it would no longer be 'yeah I have years of military experience and a detailed background' but 'hey babe, I just picked up this rifle and now I am a super-commando, care to admire how really really special I am?'. Doesn't sound very convincing or fun does it? If you think that would be a crap background for a male npc - and it would - then please stop giving backgrounds like that to your female npcs!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha. Oh my goodness. I had never thought of this in that much depth, but you're totally right. While I like Mako and Kira (Kira does follow orders, and has an interesting storyline, and I like Mako's gumption), Nadia is terrible. I was so annoyed when she didn't listen to me and I had to go after her on Corelia. She looked so pleased with herself after she got out of the pod and told me she had the data and in reality I just wanted to slap her.

I'd like to ditch Nadia too. She is disobedient, emotional, and has a ginormous hero-worship crush on my JC which I hate. She kinda reminds me of Anakin Skywalker (well, if his master was Padme). I don't think Nadia is terrible or anything -- she has her good points, and is very cute -- but if my JC had a choice he would send her to Tython and let some strict older lady Jedi be her Master.

I was never that fond of her, which is ok as I don't expect to like every companion, but the fact that she got a "special" role in my class story irked me. I'd feel a little better if I could make her meditate for hours and hours and make her clean the ship and spar with her until she's exhausted, but alas, she can only stand there on the ship like always.

Is this how all those Sith Warriors that want to get rid of Quinn feel? :p I certainly wouldn't want to kill Nadia, and can tolerate her for my class story, but I think this is just another example of why Bioware should allow us to get rid of companions we don't like @50, and offer quest-able alternatives that multiple classes can pick up.

Edited by Gwena

Nah. Nadia is so so super-special, that the whole point of Javelin is for her to succeed where everyone else fails, ignore yet another order, and now my class quest forces me to go looking for her? Forget it. If the rest of my class quest involves being Nadia's fan club, then it's not my idea of fun and it's not something I shall waste any more time on.

Actually this part varies. On my shadow it was Iresso who succeeded where everyone else failed, and it was him I had to go searching for. Not sure how it works out who gets picked for that. Most likely in who you assign to do what, but point is I find Nadia much less annoying, but mostly because in Quesh she had one uncontrolled outburst of force potential, I didn't explicitly tell her to get off my ship (this is a constraint of needing 5 companions plus the droid no matter what), and it wasn't her I had to go looking for after the Javelin (if it had I'd probably have been as annoyed as you).

Actually this part varies. On my shadow it was Iresso who succeeded where everyone else failed, and it was him I had to go searching for..

Same here. And, I wish I could have left him out there too.. though it's not in me to abandon people.. I would have rescued him, and then dropped him off at the space port with some credits, wished him luck, and tra-la-la-la, byebye Iresso.

Once Javelin is over, you are never forced to use that character again. SO! On to the point. If you don't like the character, progress as far as is necessary, and then ignore them. Move on to the characters you DO like, and leave it at that.

Use your Healer for PvP or Group stuff only, and you won't need a companion. Use them for storage, and to simply say, "I finished the Consular's storyline." Use them as a crafting platform..

Just quitting a character because of an NPC is kind of.. dumb. Really you're throwing away a lot of potential from a character because you despise an NPC. Just my two cents.

/shrugs,

I like Nadia, if she had taunt id use her almost exclusively as a companion!

Her romance is kinda "young" but thats the personality she has

Im seeing a patern here, its the female avatar players that dislike Nadia. Im going to go out on a limb and suggest its her young personality and submissive tendancies that bother them. Lord forbid every female character not be butch and bossy now a days!

Personally as far as the consular goes Id rather drop Zenith and Irresso then Nadia and Tharan!

Tharan and Holiday are one of my all time favorite companions of any class list!

Being in combat with Tharan and him telling Holiday "did you see that" and "watch this" and "Holiday are you watching me?" always gives me a good chuckle. Its pretty clear the subservent one of those two is Tharan, not Holiday.

So yeah I dont get this thread

Much rather lose the always depresing Zenith and the generally un interesting Irresso from the Consular storyline.

As for having Nadia forced on you

Its no different then Tharan forced on you on Nar Shaddaa at the end.

Zenith forced on you on Balmorra

Its a single instance and done

Not seeing the problem here.

PS: I used Qyzen for pretty much the entire storyline excuding a moment here and there so dont get this "cant leave on ship and forget about Nadia" as thats exactly what I did for most part.

should also point out Nadia has no special encounter companion story where as you do have to go places for Qyzen. So one could say hes also got special storylines all about him.

Balmorra revolves around Zenith almost exclussively

Tharan is completely the target of story on Nar Shaddaa and plays a huge role in it.

Edited by Kalfear

I love Nadia. She listens to my Shadow. She didn't kill the guy and during Javelin I went after Iresso. I guess it depends on how you treat her. If you hate her then she's not going to listen as she will hate you right back. Being forced to take her as a padawan is all part of being in the Jedi Order. The council says something you pretty much have to do it.

I am female, true, but I love Mako and Risha and Vette . . . I think all my female companions are awesome except for Nadia and Kaliyo, so I don't think it is that. :p

And I'm seeing a pattern too, it is the male players that tend to dislike Zenith. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it is his tough, closed off personality that bothers them. Heaven forbid every male character not be open with their feelings and good at talking things out nowadays!

Personally as far as the Consular goes I'd rather drop Nadia and Tharan than Zenith and Iresso! (I kinda like Tharan actually, he stays)

Seriously though, it is ok if everyone doesn't like the same companions. I wouldn't expect everyone to. :) And of course every companion has their own spot in the story where they are very involved, it is when we get them. A select few companions seem to get an additional "starring" role though, often the romance companion (totally separate from the thing where your first companion is the one to get the quests, which is another can of worms).

I'm pretty sure with JC's it is the romance option that gets this particular role, though I wish they'd use the one with highest affection or something if you weren't doing a romance. Using the romance option is supposed to make it have more impact, I guess, but it really falls flat if you don't care for that particular companion.

Im seeing a patern here, its the female avatar players that dislike Nadia. Im going to go out on a limb and suggest its her young personality and submissive tendancies that bother them. Lord forbid every female character not be butch and bossy now a days!

Personally as far as the consular goes Id rather drop Zenith and Irresso then Nadia and Tharan!

[snip]

So yeah I dont get this thread

Actually this part varies. On my shadow it was Iresso who succeeded where everyone else failed, and it was him I had to go searching for.

Guess that depends on which gender your Consular is, if your character is female then it's Iresso, if you playing male then it's Nadia... so that it is always the possible love intrest we have to worry about (not that they could die or anything, so I had no issue at all to send Iresso on the suicide mission).

On my female BH i thought nothing of it when Mako asked me if she could romance Torian (my Mando crew member, w/e his name is). But i dont think i ever rolled my eyes so wide or sighed so hard when my BH said:

Upon Torian getting captured, Mako or my character says "dont worry we'll rescue your boyfriend" and Mako gets all emo saying "i just dont know what i'll do if i lose him".

I think when i got to that part of the cutscene i simultaneously leaned back in my chair, threw my head back, rolled my eyes, shook my head and sighed.

This is part of why i think romance options are lame/corny. Doesnt matter if it is PC/NPC or NPC/NPC i hate it all. The only kind of companion interaction that i like is the funny stuff that they might say sometimes. Vette with her 'hey captain oblivious...boo!' or her many remarks that start with 'did i ever mention i have a fear of...'. I wish i could have played my Smugg long enough to get Guss cause i hear hes a riot. Even Khem gets in on the funny too sometimes 'too much of a cyborg bad for indigestion'? or 'this is my pazakk face...i'm just joking i hate pazakk'.

You know, these are some valid points made by you OP.

Aside from the truly atrocious behaviour of Nadia, I have had some pretty serious concerns about the way females are portrayed in this game. Surely she would have been better off as a sith companion?

The way some of the gear remodels itself for a female character model to be more revealing (and also terrible looking but that's neither here nor there) and also some of the dialogue really makes me wonder why the devs and writers thought this was OK?

I believe you writers and devs at BioWare need to seriously step up your game in this area, sexism wasn't cool ever and it's still not.

At first I would have agreed with the OP about getting rid of her. However after making her a double lightsaber and either donating or purchasing custom gear for her (currently 13,000 and some change total morale) and being a hybrid mostly dps-healer Consular, she has grown on me. In fact, I use her all of the time now with great success even in crazy or surprise fights. This does not mean I have given up on my other companions because I am still collecting gear and gifts for them as well. You never know when you may need to change companions.

For the Javelin, if you do not have time or the cash to fix her up prior to the quest, then use Qyzen Fess or LT Iresso. If you are a purely DPS consular, then use Theran Cedrax for healing. In addition, I found it helps to earn another couple of levels before tackling the Javelin. During the fight, you need to stop Stark from healing himself with Benevolence. If you do not stop his healing as much as possible, he will outlast you. In addition, you do not have to take all of his morale before he submits. In fact, he was at 2,000+ when he submitted to me. One other tip, start with Nadia when you enter the instance but changed to your preferred companion after.

Complaints about Nadia Grell holding aggro. After modifying her quite a bit (all gear but her belt and wrist guards are now custom - no augmentation yet), I start off with Force Stun, Weaken Mind, and Mind crush. As soon as you project a force stun, Nadia goes into action. In most cases, she can steal aggro from me before the target regains its composure from being stunned. At which time, I just project healing and force armor on her. When Nadia is at full health and Force Armor is newly applied, I will usually re-project weaken mind, mind crush, and maybe even Turbulence. Unless I screw up, our success rate is 100% of everything we attack within reason.

As for the sexism, I do not see any. She does start off a little on the poor confidence side but once you earn 10,000 Affection with her and marry her as a male character, her confidence is pretty advance and she makes confident professional statements during RPG interactions.

As for marrying Nadia Grell, there are no dark points earned and there are Jedi that do marry. However, they usually marry other Jedi, which Nadia becomes if you accept her as your Padawan, and they are at least Jedi or Master Jedi when they do marry. Annakin was still a Padawan when he married Padmé Amidala and was living in great fear for his mother.

Edited by Lorica

If anything, I'd like to see an NPC that begs for affection. If your first instinct is to reject them or tell them to get off your ship, and they are desperate to be with you, you'd think they'd take all sorts of stupid risks to endear themselves to you and be approved by you. If you're going to kick the puppy, either its going to run off to another master or keep on coming back and looking to please until you stop kicking it.

I have four Republic characters on which I've maxxed out the affection on all five of each of their companions. Out of them all, I found Nadia to be the least-appealing of the romanceable female companions. For one thing, she joins the Consular's entourage so late in the game, her story arc seems to be over almost before it's begun. But beyond that, she just comes across as painfully insecure, even when you've reached level-50 and she's a full-fledged, fully-geared 10k-affection sidekick. There's just something that grates on me when I send her on a crew-skill mission and I hear her tremulous, "Thanks for trusting me..."

I just think it would have been much cooler to see her blossom under my character's wise tutelage and show that she's benefited from being allowed to stand on her own two feet.

But then, I'm old enough that I would have preferred to have the chance to romance Satele Shan (let's hear it for strong, confident women as romantic interests -- guys wise and strong enough not to develop an inferiority complex in the glow of their accomplishments find them so much more interesting!), so Nadia's charms would probably have been lost on me no matter what, if she hadn't been the male Consular's only romance option.

You know, these are some valid points made by you OP.

Aside from the truly atrocious behavior of Nadia, I have had some pretty serious concerns about the way females are portrayed in this game. Surely she would have been better off as a sith companion?

We Inquisitors will be more then happy to trade you Ashara for Nadia... * Fully Corrupted Twi'lek Sith Inquisitor with cute red puppy eyes and crossed hands, on both knees and looking up to your Consular* Please?

On another note...

Try being full light side Imperial Agent and put up with Kaliyo until Alderaan. In addition to the fact she hates half the things that come out of my mouth she -persists- on pushing herself on me until I find Vector and have him -completely- replace her until the end of Taris. At that point, I never so much as spared her another glance until I needed the extra ten presence points. (Thank you Bioware for giving me the alternative romance option of Ensign Raina Temple.)

Also... -never- make a Sith Inquisitor. Ashara does -not- listen to your teachings unless you are basically a Jedi wannabe, and Xalek, my favorite Inquisitor companion and your true apprentice, doesn't happen until CORELLIA (good job Bioware, for stalling my best companion until the planet I don't need him!).

• 1 year later...

Dunno about Nadia Grell, but let us throw out our C2-N2 droid out of the ship. He offence me all the time when I get to the ship with my "Body Type 4" alt.

"C2-N2 is also programmed with advanced etiquette protocols which allow him to tend to each member of a ship’s crew on an individual basis. This includes being able to prepare specialized meals to cater to a crewmember’s particular tastes or dietary needs."

This "thing" always saying that Im fat and I need a diet. Cant I eat my bacon and fries ffs :mad: Stupid droid. I hate it.

Entertaining thread :D

I haven't played a Jedi (or any Republic char) sofar, so I have no personal experience, but from what I see at Google Image Search, my lking her would depend on whether there is a customization that removes the facial tattoos (or makeup, whatever). I don't like stupid modern looks on women.

Can she cook?

I love Nadia, favorite companion, she's the reason I rolled a consular twice :D

She didn't murder when i told her not to, certain convo tree I assume, and Satele forces things on us Jedi all the time, deal with it :p

To be honest, other classes get much worse thrust upon them, Warrior and bounty Hunter just to name a few. Just don't use her, I guess.

Dunno about Nadia Grell, but let us throw out our C2-N2 droid out of the ship. He offence me all the time when I get to the ship with my "Body Type 4" alt.

"C2-N2 is also programmed with advanced etiquette protocols which allow him to tend to each member of a ship’s crew on an individual basis. This includes being able to prepare specialized meals to cater to a crewmember’s particular tastes or dietary needs."

This "thing" always saying that Im fat and I need a diet. Cant I eat my bacon and fries ffs :mad: Stupid droid. I hate it.

Naughty, you tried to make a C2-N2 making fat jokes post without talking about his "some of the crew are getting a bit Thick" line.