make launch areas off limits to the other side

thorrnnn

gsf launch areas should be off limits to the opposing side. i'm tired of dying then rezzing only to be killed one second after launch. yes i know there are 3 launch areas to choose from but when ALL 3 have enemy gunships stationed at them and behind the spot here is nothing you can do but die. then there's the full group of enemies being there too. i rez at area 1 full enemy team there. rez at area 3 there they are again and so on.

It's been suggested before, but the capital ship turrets (which would make the spawning zone "off limits," as you say) were intentionally turned off because of the following:

1) A team would gain the lead

2) That team would retreat to their capital ships

3) If the enemy team approaches, they are quickly vaporized by the capital ship turrets

4) The friendly team could abuse this even further and get into gunships to still get credit for hits.

If you cannot see how this is a recipe for extremely degenerate play I don't know how to help you.

You could make it an exhaustion zone, like the edges of the map, but it ends up doing the same thing, which is promoting "turtling up" under the cap ships.

An invisible wall? Is it going to have collision? Well it can't, otherwise how will YOU fly out of it? Can you shoot from inside it, but the enemy cannot? See the problem with that?

The solution is to have multiple spawn points, like there is. If the enemy is so good that they have all 3 spawn points covered, you can coordinate with your team and if everyone spawns at the same point all at once you can probably get the enemy to run. Or, the match ends sooner. With more people in the queue the matchmaker works better.

So, you'll need to take this one back to the drawing board because as it is written, it is a bad idea.

It's been suggested before, but the capital ship turrets (which would make the spawning zone "off limits," as you say) were intentionally turned off because of the following:

1) A team would gain the lead

2) That team would retreat to their capital ships

3) If the enemy team approaches, they are quickly vaporized by the capital ship turrets

4) The friendly team could abuse this even further and get into gunships to still get credit for hits.

If you cannot see how this is a recipe for extremely degenerate play I don't know how to help you.

You could make it an exhaustion zone, like the edges of the map, but it ends up doing the same thing, which is promoting "turtling up" under the cap ships.

An invisible wall? Is it going to have collision? Well it can't, otherwise how will YOU fly out of it? Can you shoot from inside it, but the enemy cannot? See the problem with that?

The solution is to have multiple spawn points, like there is. If the enemy is so good that they have all 3 spawn points covered, you can coordinate with your team and if everyone spawns at the same point all at once you can probably get the enemy to run. Or, the match ends sooner. With more people in the queue the matchmaker works better.

So, you'll need to take this one back to the drawing board because as it is written, it is a bad idea.

simple solution to YOUR wall problem... give everyone a ladder. it worked for TRUMP's wall so it'll work here.

as for the exhaustion zone put in an 30sec timer that "kills" anyone staying in that area.

simple solution to YOUR wall problem... give everyone a ladder. it worked for TRUMP's wall so it'll work here.

You'd have to describe what you mean by a ladder in this scenario, since I have no idea what you are talking about.

as for the exhaustion zone put in an 30sec timer that "kills" anyone staying in that area.

That would make it super easy for the crowd of people that love to intentionally self-destruct to grief their team, wouldn't it?

Edited by phalczen

That would make it super easy for the crowd of people that love to intentionally self-destruct to grief their team, wouldn't it?

It's already super easy to just crash into an asteroid - which is quicker than running into an exhaustion zone. 🙂

It's already super easy to just crash into an asteroid - which is quicker than running into an exhaustion zone. 🙂

OP is suggesting an exhaustion zone at the spawn, so, no, JQ, its actually easier to stay dead stop at the spawn in until you die, no need to manual nose dive into the cap ship or crash into an asteroid. Less keypresses and less time ATK, in the OP's scenario of 30 seconds.

It doesn't matter how big you make the exhaustion zone or wall/bubble/sphere/ovaloid around the cap ship ... it is still a zone where players can retreat to in order to "turtle up" when they get a lead. The current exhaustion zones at the edges of the map apply a stacking DoT, just like for the ground. But if this safe zone worked like the ground "Deserter" debuff, it would be as the OP describes, as a timer. You would simply pop out quickly before the timer expires, then pop back in. And, it would have to work like a timer, because you don't want to apply a stacking DoT onto a ship as soon as they hyper in. How would harsh would that be for new players to figure that out? Furthermore, you can't make it work like the one way force fields for all the ground warzones, because it wouldn't actually stop camping ... just like they don't stop camping on the ground for warzones like Alderaan or Yavin. It just moves the camping to right outside the forcefield.

The solution is already there, multiple spawn points ... just like Ancient Hypergate has multiple places where you can exit the spawn and Odessen Proving Grounds randomized the spawns. Capital ships have a larger sensor range than starfighters, so you can see all the enemies on the map prior to spawning, so you can see where the enemy is congregating. If all three points are covered, then your only other option is to coordinate as a team to rush one point and try to break through. Just like in Alderaan and Yavin, the camping only occurs when the teams are vastly unbalanced.

I think this is a worthwhile discussion to have, its just a lot more complicated than the OP would like it to be. Its frustrating to be on the receiving end, I know I've been there, but its easier to survive than if you are camped on Alderaan or Yavin warzones.

Edited by phalczen

Spawn camping is quite annoying. When they start doing that I just decide to go camp their own spawn point. Unfortunately I am just one gunship and the rest of my team often does not follow suit. Would be funny if they did, though. Each team camping the other's spawn point.

I hate it when the spawn area gets camped, but I did not know of a way to make it off limits. The only thing I can see is giving players who just spawn in a temporary buff that makes them immune to all damage and makes it so that they can not damage anyone else at the same time. It might take testing and time, but that should give players enough time say five to 10 seconds to move away from the spawn point and move the action away from it. Maybe weapons and the dropping of mines or droids / mines/ / probes / turrets should also not be allowed for the same period of time. The immunity should only apply to original spawn points and not hyperspace beacons. Not sure if something like this could be done, but it would give players a fighting chance once they initially enter. I can also see the capital ships destroying all droids / mines / probes / turrets within a certain radius around the spawn point, like say the maximum distance of any type that could cause damage.

gsf launch areas should be off limits to the opposing side. i'm tired of dying then rezzing only to be killed one second after launch. yes i know there are 3 launch areas to choose from but when ALL 3 have enemy gunships stationed at them and behind the spot here is nothing you can do but die. then there's the full group of enemies being there too. i rez at area 1 full enemy team there. rez at area 3 there they are again and so on.

The turrets on the capital ships used to work. They broke at some point and never worked again. So, technically, it's supposed to be impossible for the opposing team to get you at the rez location - except perhaps at the one where it's just a hyperspace beacon, not a capital ship. Just rez at the capital ships, most people on the opposing team won't go there to begin with. Some will, but they're few and far between. If you find them there, rez at the other capital ship.

How about:

• Give players vision at all spawn points before they respawn, so they can see if there are enemy players near them.
  • (sort of suggested above) Give players a strong damage reflect (similar to feedback shields, but with multiple charges and also effective on secondary weapons, etc.), and invulnerability to drones, mines, AoE, and other accidental attacks, for several seconds after respawning, or until they score a kill or assist, so the other team is discouraged from targeting them, but still able to attack the rest of the respawned player's team.

The capital ships could have an interdiction drone effect on the opposing spawn campers, slowing the speed and turning rate slightly. maybe with a 10000m range. I don't think it would hurt the playability of a given map, and would add an extra element of strategy to the match.

At the core, the real cause of this problem though is grossly negligent match making.

This has been mentioned before by people for literally years, but has been met with utter indifference when it comes to even making a small effort towards correcting the problem.

Match making should NOT be based on legacy level as it has very little correlation to how a player will perform in GSF or whatever system they are using.

Match making should be based on a player rating formula, that combines the upgrade level of your ship with your average performance (or medal count) in gsf (legacy wide). These numbers are already tracked in places within the gsf hanger interface thingy.

Even using the starfighter achievements as a basis for match making would be an improvement, albeit less elegant than a specific GSF rating system.

Edited by CyorReco

• 2 weeks later...
How about:

• Give players vision at all spawn points before they respawn, so they can see if there are enemy players near them.
  • (sort of suggested above) Give players a strong damage reflect (similar to feedback shields, but with multiple charges and also effective on secondary weapons, etc.), and invulnerability to drones, mines, AoE, and other accidental attacks, for several seconds after respawning, or until they score a kill or assist, so the other team is discouraged from targeting them, but still able to attack the rest of the respawned player's team.

players can see who is at the spawn points already. BUT, for me at least, if they are at point A i'll pick point C and by the time i respawn they are at point C and i'm dead again and so on.

players can see who is at the spawn points already. BUT, for me at least, if they are at point A i'll pick point C and by the time i respawn they are at point C and i'm dead again and so on.

or worse, they camp all three, because they know they are the pros, and the other team are the 'newbs'