Really wish they'd FIX/ENHANCE 'Auto Target' to find enemy right in front of you!

Strathkin

I mean sometimes it works as it supposed to, yet still often after defeating an Enemy, you are hitting 1, 2, 3, 4 - 0 or other combo's of CTRL 1-0, or ALT 1-0, or something else and then nothing happens.

Then you realize the enemy in front of you, who is hitting you, isn't targeted.

Really wish they'd fix or correct this so it works, I mean it's frustrating on MELEE when you realize enemy right in front of you isn't a target nor is anyone. I mean if works often, 80-85% of the time yet then nothing, or it chooses an enemy far further away. It shouldn't choose the highest threat enemies but those that are closest at the time.

https://i.imgur.com/WF7UHYh.png

I mean perhaps even 1-2 enhanced options to select enemy with higher Threat might be nice for Ranged Players, still I'd just mostly like this to work a bit better. :)

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar

You can slam 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 or combo's with Alt or Control, and despite it's clear you want to use your weapon; it won't because no target is a target. I mean it sometimes fails to find a target one 5-10% of the time, and can even be as high as 25%; though not quite sure why...

It's especially frustrating for Melee players, as your focused on running up to them. Game doesn't THINK it's important to defend yourself while you getting SHOT at, because often it never find's targets right in front of you!

I mean I always thought DEVs would have noticed this and GIVEN it FOCUS to FIX. Really wished they GAVE this some attention to finally FIX &/or Improve Auto Target, for when game update 7 comes out.

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar

I mean I've always managed with the semi-broken Auto-Target in this game. Just replying in HOPES they might see this, and finally decide to IMPROVE upon how this works!

It's just suddenly frustrating, when your hitting 1-0 or other keys, and realize your not hitting anything...

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar

I mean sometimes it works as it supposed to, yet still often after defeating an Enemy, you are hitting 1, 2, 3, 4 - 0 or other combo's of CTRL 1-0, or ALT 1-0, or something else and then nothing happens.

Then you realize the enemy in front of you, who is hitting you, isn't targeted.

Really wish they'd fix or correct this so it works, I mean it's frustrating on MELEE when you realize enemy right in front of you isn't a target nor is anyone. I mean if works often, 80-85% of the time yet then nothing, or it chooses an enemy far further away. It shouldn't choose the highest threat enemies but those that are closest at the time.

https://i.imgur.com/WF7UHYh.png

I mean perhaps even 1-2 enhanced options to select enemy with higher Threat might be nice for Ranged Players, still I'd just mostly like this to work a bit better. :)

so you DON'T like the YOU CAN TARGET SAND PEOPLE ON TAINTOONE WHILE STILL BEING ON ALDERAAN option this game offers? #sarcasm.

i feel you though. while starting fighting with GROUP A i've have also pulled GROUP Z, which i might add were 75m BEHIND me.

i also love being able NOT to hit melee mobs with my ranged smuggler because they are too far away even though they are hitting me with their lightsabers.

I mean I'd love an ENHANCEMENT done to AUTO TARGET.

One that had Target Closest Enemy, that worked far more reliable than it does today. Yet it also be nice if Ranged players had an OPTION for Target Enemy 5-15m away first.

Don't know if they'd do that but it would be nice.

Maybe for 7.0 they will FINALLY decide to enhance 'Auto Target' to improve it, and target the enemy closer to you a bit better and more reliably.

Possibly also add an alternative option possibly for Ranged Attackers, though it could also be used by Melee.

1. for Target Highest Threat Enemy first.

I mean for YEARS this is what I greatly loved about Star Trek Online, they'd always find their auto-target. At least until today's patch 9/23, where I had to log a BUG REPORT. They'd honestly destroy the game not FIXING it, and it's ONE thing that's always greatly disappointed me about the skill of DEVs on SWTOR.

I really wished Bioware showed they 'know' how to find a Auto Target, especially when they are right in front of you!

Please FIX, then I'd adore you forever! :eek:

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar

I agree 100%.

So annoying when it targets an enemy from another group than the one you are fighting, wich leads to fighting more cannon fodder, and it takes much longer. But it's really bad when it targets an enemy behind the player that you allready passed, wich is bad programming. It should NEVER target something that is out of sight for the player.

Also wish they could fix aggro range of some enemies, as some have a tendency to aggro you even well after you've passed them. This is very noticeable in some flashpoints, like the one where you have to bring down the communication tower on Rishi (the name of the FP escapes me ATM).

Edited by Otowi

STO does that, only targets items in 'line of sight' unless you actually allow [TAB] to target off screen enemy.

Still I just like them to FIX &/or IMPROVE 'Auto Target' within SWTOR, and I mean 7.0 is a great time to finally do that!

I mean some might even like, an option to Target enemy with most threat, yet you'd have to TAB to select mobs; if a boss requires them defeated first. I just really dislike on Melee and yes even Ranged Characters, where you try firing yet then realize nothing is a 'target' even though Auto-Target 'closest' enemy is on. Mostly cause you keyboard mashing 1-0 or Alt 1-0 or Ctrl 1-0 and your not hitting anything while getting hit.

It's also very odd that sometimes it find enemy much further away as you say.

Edited by Strathkin

STO does that, only targets items in 'line of sight' unless you actually allow [TAB] to target off screen enemy.

Still I just like them to FIX &/or IMPROVE 'Auto Target' within SWTOR, and I mean 7.0 is a great time to finally do that!

I mean some might even like, an option to Target enemy with most threat, yet you'd have to TAB to select mobs; if a boss requires them defeated first. I just really dislike on Melee and yes even Ranged Characters, where you try firing yet then realize nothing is a 'target' even though Auto-Target 'closest' enemy is on. Mostly cause you keyboard mashing 1-0 or Alt 1-0 or Ctrl 1-0 and your not hitting anything while getting hit.

It's also very odd that sometimes it find enemy much further away as you say.

While they are at it, make it so one does not target a Sorc/Sage every time they bubble you if you have no current target. I get that alot in Op's where we have adds and one must bubble me right after the one I targeted dies and suddenly I'm targeting Jane the Sorc/Sage sitting in the corner.

I think what SWTOR could improve with AUTO target, or do different is this...

ISSUE:

If your in a flash point and run slightly left, yet the group mostly goes right; so you run past the group it first selected; even if you didn't realize it made a target selection. Or sometimes you are running one way, then choose to go a different way realizing your next objective is the other direction.

POSSIBLE OTHER CAUSES:

Today once a target is identified, well it NEVER forgets that target till you TAB. So while this can sometimes happen as described above, it can also happen in boss fight finding a target then a mechanic occurs and you have to turn and run or avoid, so at least having different ranges for Targets to expire HELP IMPROVE it a lot.

WAYS TO POSSIBLY IMPROVE (AUTO-TARGET)

▪ Currently it never forgets that a target was made, regardless if it was auto-target or TAB selected!

▪ So for each Class set a distance, for (Auto-Target) to expire & Refresh; not TAB/clicked Targets.

▪ Based on average weapon range, to refresh Auto-target.

▪ Melee Class: It could likely be 4-8m for the vast majority; so 9m (Meters) allow a good refresh.

▪ Range Class: It may be 11-35m (Depending on Average Weapon Range of each Class)

╘ bounty hunter (4-10m mostly flame based) with only few that are 30m; so 11m to REFRESH be good.

╘ except where TAB/clicking is used to override.

╘ telekinetic sage 30-35m mostly, so 29+ meters be ideal REFRESH auto-target focus.

NOTE: Average [4+35+35+35+35+35+35+35+35+35+15+30+15+30+35+30 /16] = 29m (rounded down)

╘ except where TAB/clicking is used to override.

They'd likely greatly improve this, just setting a distance for each Class to REFRESH (Auto-Target) as I kind of suggested above based, on on Average of all Weapons / Offensive abilities. :)

• Jedi/Sith (except Telekinetic Sage) might clear AUTO TARGET & REFRESH; if more than 9m (meters) distance.
  • While Gunslingers, and Bounty Hunters might be11-14m based on average target distance.
  • Or Troopers or Snipers might be a bit longer 15-20m based on average target distance.
  • Doesn't IGNORE Targets selected with TAB/clicking, then remains until defeated; before returns to Auto-Target.
  • --as that also work for Saber throw, for as those be TAB/clicked targets (as above) as exceptions.

I mean it MIGHT help improve how (Auto-Target) often doesn't refresh at times.

-----

In an ideal world every 1-0 / Alt 1-0 / Ctrl 1-0 --should refresh auto-target, to closest OR most threatening (alternative) if turned OFF. Star Trek Online DOES NOT have this problem, yet NEVER has Bioware / EA seem to know how to make Auto-Target work better; I'd even LOVE to see a few more options for Auto-Target. But that is a Suggestion Box not a BUG.

Surely they could FIND something to IMPROVE (Auto-Target) and how it currently works though!

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...