Did the things you enjoy doing on swtor change over the years? 🎮

Eshvara

For me it did! (Sort of):rak_03:

When I started at launch, I came from WoW, all I wanted to do was grind myself up to max level and do end game content. I spaced barred through all of the story did warzone after warzone for hours a day and logged off. Nothing in game really interested me.

I quit after about 6 months as it was quite repetitive, in a negative sense. (Because of myself)

Then when I came back in 2016, I still enjoyed PvP but I actually came to really love story. Having a different mindset and being done with that "must only enjoy end game content" mentality, made me be able to experience so many different stories that I'll carry with me forever!

I still want to play good and perform whenever it's necessary. But most of all, I want to enjoy myself with whatever I'm doing. :)

What about you?🙃

Yes. The leveling experience.

The level scaling took the challenge away. Facerolling everything, even without a companion is boring. And the 1 - 50 stories are the only well written ones in my honest opinion. Even Hutt Cartel, and Revan. More replayability than KOTFE and KOTET.

I guess I can also add that the stories have changed (in my opinion) for the worse. I also can't wait for them to go back to pub vs imp. The best stories imo.

Edited by ThomasStarWars

I used to enjoy flashpoints and operations (think around the same timeframe as 3.0 etc), but that went downhill fast and I started to get more attached to enjoying the story.

Was it due to bad experiences while grouping or just not really your thing in the end?

Personally i enjoyed the companions doing one single role, for example Torian & Zenith being purely DPS. Now it feels strange to see Torian using a sniper riffle instead of a techstaff and Zenith ..healing or tanking.

Other "thing" i enjoyed was having Khem Val as a SI companion, now he is lost and i have no desire in getting a "new" dashade, KV was "my" dashade, not the other guy.

Was it due to bad experiences while grouping or just not really your thing in the end?

lost enjoyment in it when it became a full time job outside my own real job back then. Last time I was playing WoW I was still doing raids and such there, not lfr. But this game has gotten worse when it comes to the community where WoW was getting better. It's weird. Personal experiences of course. Big guilds have been full of drama, small guilds build up too fast and fall apart, lots of real bullies in the community for ops now I've found also. So I've stuck to the guild I've been left with after a mass exodus at around Iokath release, they never came back :(

Doesn't help that I can only play during kid's school hours now, and being Aussie means it's far harder to find a decent group in-game the times I can play, in this game. Never been a problem for me before swtor, but a lot of the current challenges has been time and location the past year.

It slowly became just not my thing now, too stressful the past year just to find a group can take days or in my worst case weeks. far more then just one thing, i just remember people more.

Edited by Asmodesu

I do miss the sense of accomplishment of beating the harder milestones; Skavak being number one in that. My second Smuggler(Scoundrel) found Skavaks final showdown to be far less satisfying then the struggle of the first. I had *Assumed the first being a Gunslinger and now being a Scoundrel and their vast difference DPS wise plus not wearing the head and wrist slots it would be a challenge despite todays "Much quicker to start KotXX" process I could again have a win I would be proud of but not this time. In what seemed like a short flurry of fire Skavak was down and no sense of "YAAAAA, I Won :)". Its just not the same.

I do miss the sense of accomplishment of beating the harder milestones; Skavak being number one in that. My second Smuggler(Scoundrel) found Skavaks final showdown to be far less satisfying then the struggle of the first. I had *Assumed the first being a Gunslinger and now being a Scoundrel and their vast difference DPS wise plus not wearing the head and wrist slots it would be a challenge despite todays "Much quicker to start KotXX" process I could again have a win I would be proud of but not this time. In what seemed like a short flurry of fire Skavak was down and no sense of "YAAAAA, I Won :)". Its just not the same.

This also. the class bosses used to be a worthy challenge. I remember my very first character, a consular, I died in that First Son fight over and over and over until I got my utilities down right, like interrupts, best time to heal, stay out of stuff. I miss the times when levelling taught you how to use your class. Eve as a story focused player now I do miss those days a lot.

This also. the class bosses used to be a worthy challenge. I remember my very first character, a consular, I died in that First Son fight over and over and over until I got my utilities down right, like interrupts, best time to heal, stay out of stuff. I miss the times when levelling taught you how to use your class. Eve as a story focused player now I do miss those days a lot.

this is what i miss most. the feeling of accomplishment. now its all just handed to you.

Personally i enjoyed the companions doing one single role, for example Torian & Zenith being purely DPS. Now it feels strange to see Torian using a sniper riffle instead of a techstaff and Zenith ..healing or tanking.

Other "thing" i enjoyed was having Khem Val as a SI companion, now he is lost and i have no desire in getting a "new" dashade, KV was "my" dashade, not the other guy.

You can pull KV from the terminal in your bedroom on Odessen if you want him back. He's not blocked. Only SI can do it of course.

Eh, I prefer Aric Jorgan having the sniper rifle he should have always had. He says he is a sniper in the story. It made no sense for him to tote an assault cannon.

I also like being able to switch the roles. The simple fact is most people really only take one companion to 50 influence. (I don't, but I'm weird. :p) That comp being tied to one role means they cannot do the Eternal championship in the role they need them to be to succeed with your class/spec, and Star Fortresses, and for that matter Vet mode Chapters and Master mode Chapters.

As for role selection, If YOU want to keep them in their original roles you have the ability to do so. The choices anyone else makes with the role selection of their companions has no impact on your gameplay.

And we have choices with our companions now, ones we didn't have in vanilla. We are no longer tied to having the companions you never wanted in the first place. For my BH that was Skadge. I even have an alert I can deal with him in. And Quinn. The SW who wanted to kill him after he betrayed them can finally do that in the follow up to Kotfe/Kotet. I'm not thrilled with all of our reunions but some were perfect. Vette was lovely, if not terribly long and Aric Jorgan was perfect (although again, not long.)

Games change. There have been a lot of them in SWTOR. In the end you adapt to the new things or you find another game. So far I'm still here. I'm also not one of the ones who have left. I've been here through all the changes. So for me, there isn't a nostalgia for things from years ago. I've been here through all the changes and that probably colors my perspective.

Edited by Kyrra_T

The level scaling took the challenge away.

Level scaling (in SWTOR, more properly "clipping", but let's not touch *that* debate!) in and of itself does not take the challenge away. What took the challenge away was the specifics of the numbers involved. If, for example, they had clipped *all* stats rather than just Mastery/Power/Endurance/Health(1), then the power gap between a clipped player and the enemies in the area would be much smaller.

(1) There is some debate about whether the clipped Health matches the value calculated from the clipped Endurance.

I used to love guild runs through FPs and the occasional Op. We'd all agree on a night and log on, get voice comms going and have an absolute blast.

Now most of the guild members are gone - tho' I'm still in touch with them IRL. - and the only thing that keeps me going nowadays is GSF and PVP. Which I never did in the past.

I loved the story and leveling aspect too. - But I've done the vanilla several times over, but KOTFE and KOTET aren't my thing - Too much on rails for my liking So I can't see myself ever doing them all again.

Was good to go back to my first character recently. - but even then it's not the same without my closest friends having a laugh and exploring at the same time. - Even with online friends, SWTOR can be a lonely place most days.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

What about you?🙃

My favourite part of any MMO is the time at the beginning when you are new and improving your character by going through quests, getting better drops, etc - you know, the RPG part.

Blasting through the game to get to the "endgame" has never been my thing. I don't PvP in an MMO - if I want to fight other players I play some FPS (First Person Shooter).

Btw, I also played WoW for a while (long enough to get to level 50 - the max at the time.) I actually found it annoying when high level Guildmates would drag me through dungeons without ever having to actually "do" them. They were all into getting to endgame asap.

Now that I've done almost everything in SWTOR, I'm hoping someone will do an "SWTOR2" so I can get that "new game" experience again. (On the other hand, I used to play Guild Wars, but I wasn't happy with GW2. :o )

Yes, I played the game from Beta and launch.

I love the grind the harder solo content especially you CAN'T SOLO Heroic+2 on your own LMAO

Nowadays, I can and everyone else CAN FACE ROLL Everything except content that required a group to enter and stuff that required OPS group. Last night, I was bored and came to ilum for the killing conquest, I went to the Heroic 2+ area and pulled pretty much entire area (20+ Sith NPC) and aoe them down and my health bar never went down below 80%, it does went down to 80% then my comp healed me back up to 100% in a blink of an eyes. I got my 250 kills in 15 ~ 20 minutes cause of the respawn timer.

Edited by Xbladez

The level scaling took the challenge away. Facerolling everything, even without a companion is boring. And the 1 - 50 stories are the only well written ones in my honest opinion. Even Hutt Cartel, and Revan. More replayability than KOTFE and KOTET.

I guess I can also add that the stories have changed (in my opinion) for the worse. I also can't wait for them to go back to pub vs imp. The best stories imo.

Pretty much this. The combined effect of the forced speed leveling curve and forced level sync, and having no option to turn off the sync in flashpoints as well pretty much killed any enjoyment in the game for me. I unsubbed and have only subbed a couple of times since then to support specific changes in the game.

Used to love guild op runs (especially the 16m ones, so much fun), we used to run guild runs on Friday night and Saturday afternoon, coming home after a long week at work and looking forward to playing with my friends all night and having a blast was so much fun. After the guild slowly started to die around 2 years ago (all just moved on from SWTOR in general) I haven't really touched op's since, doesn't feel the same not doing it with a group of friends. Would give anything to get all my guild mates back together for one last run, good times. :) Edited by BlueShiftRecall

. So for me, there isn't a nostalgia for things from years ago. I've been here through all the changes and that probably colors my perspective.

I do feel a bit nostalgic for the days when killing Darth Skotia,Zash,Baras & Kellian Jaro were not that easy. I miss good ol' data crystals and crafting stuff instead of buying it from Fleet. I miss the class stories, you will prolly laugh your a** off, but right now i even miss Jaesa Willsaam. Meh, don't mind me, i'm a dinosaur.

OP, I also started at launch and came from a WoW background. I loved the "gold run" loot system (GDKP) in WoW and was sad to see it go the way of the dinosaur when everyone got their own loot in WoW. I came to SWTOR hoping to do the "Credit Run" loot system. It took me years to find a group of people who wanted to use that loot system, but in 4.0 we had our hay day, and was making hundreds of millions of credits from running SM operations, and HM EV and KP. Sadly command crates killed the GDKP loot system in SWTOR.

Now I have fun, helping new people learn the game.

This game was never what I wanted to be on any level. I still want a proper new generation sandbox Star Wars MMO... Basically a next Gen SWG without some of the problems mind you. Class based linear MMO(s) just fundamentally lack anything to hold my attention.

Theme Park MMO(s) are super taxing on Dev teams as well...just a bad model.

Edited by Soljin

• 3 years later...
Well now that Bioware removed master looter from the game, the GDKP loot system is truly dead. Hopefully Bioware does something great for the 10 year anniversary. If not, there is always Ashes of Creation to look forward to. AoC may be a PvP MMO, but I heard they will have a bidding system built into the game, so there is hope.

I started just being interested in the story content, but after a little while I got into raiding and healing in particular. Now, due to health issues I can't raid anymore (at least not the harder modes) and I'm left with a game that is a bit of a shell. I used to like leveling characters but because the level cap keeps getting raised but the leveling content being so easy I just stopped doing that. I prefer leveling to 50 and it being challenging over leveling to 75 and it being totally easy.

So at the moment I just enjoy the atmosphere and I don't log in very often anymore and when I do I don't log in for very long. SWTOR just doesn't have a wide variety of things to really dig into. So I've been enjoying playing another MMO. The story there is terrible but I play it for all the other things that there are to do. And that's what I'm missing here. So it's fair to say that I'm running out of things that I enjoy doing in SWTOR.

So at the moment I just enjoy the atmosphere and I don't log in very often anymore and when I do I don't log in for very long. SWTOR just doesn't have a wide variety of things to really dig into. So I've been enjoying playing another MMO. The story there is terrible but I play it for all the other things that there are to do. And that's what I'm missing here. So it's fair to say that I'm running out of things that I enjoy doing in SWTOR.

Ironically enough, that's one of the things that I like about SWTOR; it doesn't have fifty-seven thousand minigames, parallel progressions, professions, reputation systems that gate gear you almost need to actually be able to fight enemies (SWTOR's rep gear is cosmetic), et cetera, et al and so forth. I can log into SWTOR, check what the current GS goals are (when a season is running), run a couple heroics and then just relax and wander a stronghold, play 'space barbie', do more heroics or flashpoints, or even progress in the actual storyline, all without feeling overwhelmed.

I actually liked giving my old armor and weapons to companions. I also used to never leave starter world until I got myself and first companion the planetary token armor. which was better than any quest reward armor on the planet. Used to pass the heritage armor piece on two new toons so they could get a better weapon.

I am playing WOW and listening the veterans complain about how easy us newbies have it. in that game now. "You can fly when I had to grind reputation to unlock flying" Thats still true in some parts of the game where they can fly and I am grounded. SWTOR doesn't need flying because it has all those Quick travel points which WOW lacks,'

Edited by RameiArashi

What took the challenge away was the specifics of the numbers involved. If, for example, they had clipped *all* stats rather than just Mastery/Power/Endurance/Health(1), then the power gap between a clipped player and the enemies in the area would be much smaller.

I agree with both of these, but it's not just easy content, it's also the speed. Leveling during 2.0, you had to do all the sidequests and usually other stuff too, and sure, that gets old after awhile, but it also means you really get to know your character. All the characters that I made prior to 2014, I really got a feel for who they were. 1-55 was a long journey. Whereas, most of the characters that I made after that, unless I took them to endgame content, I don't really know them very well, because I reached level cap too quickly, and outleveled the story content. Even with the White Acute Module on.

The strangest thing about this forum is the hostility of people who don't have that experience and HATE that you do, as if by sharing it you'll screw up the status quo for them. Whatever their irl beliefs are, here they are the Ultimate Conservatives.