Itemization in 7.0

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

With the release of our Itemization in 7.0 article, we wanted to add some clarity around some of the details of that article in addition to providing some supplementary information.

In addition to the removal of the Renown system mentioned in the article, we are changing the Social and server-wide Dark vs. Light systems.

What will happen to Renown Achievements, Legacy Perks, and Boosts

• Achievements will for the most part be moved to Feats of Strength, and have their point values removed (with the exception of Social achievements, as described below).
  • Legacy Perks related to these systems will be removed starting in 7.0.
    • Starting today, Renown and Social Legacy Perks will have their Cartel Coin price reduced to 1

[*]Renown Boosts will be removed from the Cartel Market next Monday, November 8th. Until then, they will be discounted by 90%

• Upon 7.0 launch, existing boost items for these systems (Renown and Social) will no longer work, and will be able to be sold to vendors for a small number of credits

What will happen to the Social rewards?

• We are converting the system from awarding points based on conversation choices to instead reward grouping for activities. Details of the changes are:
    • Achievements have been reworked to now require Group Finder activities rather than Social Levels.
    • The character titles which previously came with the achievements are now exclusive to those who already completed the Achievement. For 7.0 and forward, the updated Achievements will grant Legacy Titles of the same titles (rather than Character ones).
    • These Achievements will gate the visibility and purchase of the items on Social vendors. As players progress through the achievements, more items will become available.
    • The two fleet social vendors will be moved to the Cantina area on both fleets and have all Social items previously available.
    • The old vendors around the galaxy will still be available, but they will only have inventory based on the player's achievement progress.

What will happen to the Dark vs Light system?

• First, let’s clarify exactly what we’re talking about with the Dark vs. Light system. The individual character alignment system, where morality choices made throughout the story in conversations or via the Diplomacy crew skill in order to move a character’s alignment between Dark and Light sides of the Force, will remain unchanged.
  • The server-wide Dark vs Light meter which would pop up every so often to reflect the balance in the galaxy will be removed.
  • The small alignment widget in the UI will be removed
  • The alignment choice every time group finder pops will be removed
  • The DvL bosses that spawned in the world when one side was victorious will be removed temporarily. We plan on re-introducing them in a future update.
  • The DvL rewards vendors will remain in place on both Fleets
  • To compensate for the loss of constant alignment gain, character alignment levels and thresholds will revert to pre-Dark vs. Light system totals

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread to answer questions that may have not been answered in the post.

Thanks!

-eric

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well only downside to me is that apparently I was mistaken in regards to everyone being able to get to max Irating, I dislike this change as I enjoy getting to max Irating with enough work. I do like the idea of directly upgrading things though, the less RNG the better but I'm not so sure if making gear non-moddable before 334 Irating is a good idea. I suppose if the stats are good I won't have to worry but if they aren't then I don't have much choice.

Sad to see the DvL system going away though, I hope it gets re-introduced soon I thought it was one of the only good system 5.0 added, it was fun hunting the bosses down the biggest issue with them is the fact they did not respawned after a first attempt which made things difficult if your group wiped.

Edited by FlameYOL

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Social points will now only be available through group finder. So the few points from heroic conversations while in a group are gone. Points for world bosses are gone. Points for non-group finder flashpoints and operations are gone. But to compensate for removing all existing ways to get social points in order to force people into group finder ques is a new set of achievements which are legacy wide?

I don't understand anything you just said about dvl. Something something there is no way to gain dvl currency to spend at the vendors we so kindly left in game. When you re-introduce the bosses, could you please put them on the group finder that you are so excessively fond of? I have yet to even see one, let alone fight one.

"Whether a player is here for the story or to take on the most powerful challenges in the galaxy, we want there to be something a player can look forward to that makes their characters stronger." Where are you hiding the info on how we get gear from story content? If there is no way to gear up without relying on conquest and random weeklies that constantly reset, will the bottom tier gear be good enough to comfortably complete all story content in 7.0? Cause I got to say, everything I've read about the new gearing system indicates I'm never going to get anything better, which also means I will no longer feel comfortable jointing the occasional pvp or flashpoint. Or will crafting be a viable alternative? Or are you going to limit crafting mats to ops players keeping a hard line between haves and have-nots? You need to point out the way I'm supposed to be able to look forward to getting stronger, because I keep looking for it and not finding it.

Edited by Damask_Rose

I hate everything about this. What happened to 'play your own way'? Because:

Furthering our efforts to build a fulfilling experience for our players, we will be featuring different content on a weekly basis in 7.0. This content will rotate on a schedule to prevent farming of one specific piece of content, which has a negative impact on a player’s overall experience.

Does not sound like 'play your own way.' Also, who says that me running the same thing will negatively impact my overall experience? Because I sure didn't. I'd rather run the same thing than be forced into something I hate. :mad:

Also if gear is going to be static, how are we supposed to hit accuracy and alacrity levels now? Other than relying on augments, it's going to be hard without drastically going over what you need stat wise unless that's completely changing.

I'm not too thrilled about the removal of the DvL system, it was handy for earning points and useful if you wanted to play a Neutral character without making them bipolar when it came to choices. I guess I'll have to pick up Diplomacy on my neutral Inquisitor so he can stay that way, something the toggle made easy when I was playing him. :o

What about tech fragments? Are those also being phased out? I assume so if we can no longer buy anything with them once 7.0 hits but I'd like confirmation so I can just trash the gear I have ahead of time.

Edited by Farferello

What social perks are available through our legacies?

Fortunately I didn't bother with Renown perks after my main. I'm still nowhere near the 999 renown required for the achievement on my main (not even half way).

For those of us who have characters with the full set of social achievements and titles, does this mean our alts will now earn the legacy titles instead? If they do, does this mean our characters will be able to display both the character social title and the legacy one? E.G.:

Cheracter title: Party Time Sarova

Legacty Title: Party Time

Edited by Sarova

Current Operations will operate a bit differently. Gear tokens will drop directly from bosses and will be tradeable among the group. For example, after defeating one boss, a player may be awarded with a token for Pants with an item rating of 328. They could then either turn in the token and choose their piece of gear or trade it to another player. We believe allowing players who participate in large group content to gear up others quickly mitigates changes in the group dynamics when leaving or joining the group and is a crucial piece of this type of gameplay.

Well finally you reintroduce this again...

If they move the gear sets achievements to 0 points that will be a HUGE slap in the face for many players as many surely have spend countless hours and months of playing to get them finished.

This is nothing new. 1k achievements worth of points were wiped off the map when everything in the Original Dark vs. Light event was removed. Ditto for Nightmare EV and KP, and the Galactic Command achievements. I'm guessing this is just the first time it's happened to you?

All these changes are saying one thing: "Do you want to be rewarded? OK, so you will play what we want, where we want and in times we want you to play."

Without going into much details: Do you want the gear (not to be for an absolute noob when you find occasionally a time to play some OPS or some other group content)? Then you need to play what we will serve to you. Because for the rest of of your play: "nada"... or almost "nada". Unsatisfied - ok, try Solitaire in Windows.

Why all changes introduced in 6.0 and later under the philosophy of "do whatever you want, play what you want" - all these QoL improvements - are being removed?

Also if gear is going to be static, how are we supposed to hit accuracy and alacrity levels now? Other than relying on augments, it's going to be hard without drastically going over what you need stat wise unless that's completely changing.

This will only really matter in endgame content since tertiary stats are capped now and compared to the targets of your original level. So, unless they change things from how it works on PTS, you'll never be at the accuracy cap in downscaled content. As an example, in gear that was at 110% Accuracy for level 80, going to Ziost dropped me to 104%. On Balmorra, that dropped to 102.5%.

As an example, Group Finder will only feature a limited set of Flashpoints and Story Operations each week.

While I won't miss hammer spam, all you had to do was check it off to avoid it. Forcing players to run flashpoints they may not want to by limiting the ones available in the group-finder is a major change to how things have worked for years. I don't see a loss to personal choice as a good change.

So unless I have really missed something it looks like players who want to gear up will be funneled into a select few flashpoints each week, similar to how you will be funneling players into only the weeklies YOU want them to do each week.

I much prefer doing things when I want to and on my own schedule.

*Less RNG is a welcome change. The problem is that having less choice in WHAT content we do and WHEN we can do the content to earn upgrades is not something that sounds fun to me.

[*]Achievements will for the most part be moved to Feats of Strength, and have their point values removed (with the exception of Social achievements, as described below).

Why? Why do you keep doing this? Players pour countless hours into getting these ingame achievements and removing the point value greatly lessens them. If the point values don't matter then why does the ingame achievement system have any point values at all? You are removing player accomplishment with this change Eric. This is bad game design. You did this with the DvL event and players hated it. You did this with old operations acheivements and players hated it.

[*]We are converting the system from awarding points based on conversation choices to instead reward grouping for activities. Details of the changes are:

[*]Achievements have been reworked to now require Group Finder activities rather than Social Levels.

So the only way for players to advance the social system is to play the content that you corral us into? Content that in 7.0 you ahve already told us is going to be rotated regularly, meaning players will have to participate in content that they may not want to? You are removing player agency with this change Eric. Why can't players decide with whom they group and how they group socially in the game? Why is that YOUR decision and not ours.

Hey folks,

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread to answer questions that may have not been answered in the post.

Thanks!

-eric

Mr. Musco I call Foul to penalizing solo-players!

Conquests

Players who wish to enjoy a solo-only experience will mostly upgrade gear by completing Personal Conquests. Using our example numbers above, if the base item rating is 320 in 7.0, upgrading via Conquests can get players to a max item rating of 326. In a future update, this would increase to item rating 330 for Conquest players.

Why is your company punishing us? Do you understand that many solo-players stick to easier content because of physical, mental, and emotional challenges that we play this game to cope with? I am in a wonderful guild that is very patient and understanding. I've tried story mode ops and vet FP's and it nearly wrecked my hands. No matter how kind everyone was I couldn't keep up and joining a group but doing noting but follow is against terms of service.

Yet my gear will be the worst in-game in 7.0! Not fair! Maxing my gear (as high as I personally can) helps me play with less fatigue!

Also, why not just get rid of crafting permanently. The team scuttled it years go anyway this stupid new "static gear" is just an extra shovel of dirt on the grave.

Yours Respectfully,

A Devastated Subscriber.

Honestly, do you think "corralling/forcing" a person into the content "you have decided " that everyone should play will work? How many times do you have to be reminded, doing this will cause more players to quit unless that is what you want, having the game close, which is what it looks like.

Edited by casirabit

Well only downside to me is that apparently I was mistaken in regards to everyone being able to get to max Irating, I dislike this change as I enjoy getting to max Irating with enough work. I do like the idea of directly upgrading things though, the less RNG the better but I'm not so sure if making gear non-moddable before 334 Irating is a good idea. I suppose if the stats are good I won't have to worry but if they aren't then I don't have much choice.

I get the impression from the article that Item Rating on the guaranteed upgrade drop is what is limited, and that you can still; use earned currency to buy items.

Well I kinda wish the alignment change had happened two years ago frankly. Would be nice to know where my characters actually stand on the light or dark scale... Now they have that totally inaccurate alignment. Oh well.

But I'm curious - I assume that crew missions and regular missions won't give any alignment points anymore if there's no light or dark side in the mission, correct?

About renown, does that mean that absolutely nothing will happen at level 80? That would be... extremely disappointing.

About itemization - No RNG I don't mind at all but... everyone will have the same gear and it's just very sad. and killing a boss just to get currencies is very anti-climatic.

The weekly stuff being rotated? I hate it. I hate having 50 other players doing what I'm doing (and for the love of God PLEASE remove respawn timers on mission clickies!!!!).

So yeah, not a fan. The main reason I stuck to the game so long was how I loved itemization with 6.0, this seems like a huge step back in terms of fun.

Also, you're not mentioning story flashpoints at all, and if conquest is the main way for solo players to upgrade their gear, it's going to be very sad very fast.

And what kind of rewards will we get from GSF?

What about crafting? What's even the point of it if we can't even craft mods or augments or upgradable gear?

Edited by Pricia

I want to know that since we are going back to vertical progression does that mean all content will be scaled to 80 so gear doesn't get down leveled like it currently does on live where there are hard caps on stats despite how you arrange your gear if you aren't doing level 75 content?

• The DvL rewards vendors will remain in place on both Fleets

So will the DvL items be available for credits instead of tokens? I assume tokens are going away now.

On the same note, what will happen to all the armor sets being sold by vendors in the supplies section of the fleet in exchange for tech fragments + credits? Will those still be available? Even without set bonuses, they are still useful as cosmetics.

Also, where is the vendor for command crate shells? It's over two years late at this point.

I want to know that since we are going back to vertical progression does that mean all content will be scaled to 80 so gear doesn't get down leveled like it currently does on live where there are hard caps on stats despite how you arrange your gear if you aren't doing level 75 content?

All group content is up to 80 again.

As I mentioned in another post, no, stat capping is actually getting worse in 7.0. Tertiary stats like Accuracy and Critical Rating are also capped now, but still go off the level 80 targets when capped (so your Accuracy will never be capped in downscaled content).

I just want to make sure I understand the max. new gear ratings correctly:

326: Can hit this number doing anything in game, excluding MM sub-80 OPs and 80 OP.

328: SM 80 OP.

330: MM sub-80 OPs & VM 80 OP.

332, 334: VM 80 OP only.

Also, the ONLY way we can get moddable gear is if we can clear VM 80 OP? So no more min/maxing for anyone that can't clear the hardest content in game?

Edited by Randor

My guild recently returned after being away for a few years. We started when the game launched Beta. One of the issues that led to the first huge loss of players was The Dev Team not listening to people in the beta, that were telling them things that were not fun, or working as intended. I had hoped that this Dev Team listened to the community a little better. Rendering people's achievements meaningless, and simplifying by forcing people into very distinct content that was not their choice, led to the failure of the last Star Wars MMO. .Many of these changes sound problematic at best. Forcing people into content that they do not want, or penalizing them (by not allowing them to gear fully) could be disastrous. Maybe some additional time to get some community input, and re-consideration would be best.