Possible Clipping Exploit?

MasterAtin

I may have come across what I can only think of as an optimization issue within GSF (surprise surprise) that I believe can be exploited.

So on certain maps, you have these scaffolds connecting different asteroids. Some are broken on their ends and you can fly into some of them, and the "walls" are very thin, relative to other spatial objects like the asteroids or satellites. I encountered an embedded bomber. I approached, and somehow this player was shooting at me and hitting me. However, even though I was directly lined up with them, and could see them through the "grate-like" design of the scaffold, my reticle was hashed out. Indicating to me that LOS was broken and I could not hit the other player. I repositioned to several different angles, shooting at the bomber every time with zero hits, all the while the bomber was having no issue shooting and hitting me.

Eventually he killed me, but I found my way in and destroyed him. While I was navigating the inside, I noticed the structure's "walls" (if you will) were thin, and the bomber (before I blew him up)practically had his nose up against the inside wall of the scaffold and was shooting. I saw the laser bolts moving outward away from the ship unobstructed.

A second instance of this I was jousting with another ship and they were behind a thin beam, underneath the B Satellite on the Makeb Atmosphere Map. Same issue, they were up against the beam, hashed out on my reticle (Broken LOS) but still able to hit me.

So it had me thinking, maybe blaster shots from our crafts actually originate a short ways away from the actual barrel ends of our blasters? Therefore, if you can get close enough to a thin enough barrier, your craft will be protected, but your shots will originate past the barrier that breaks your LOS.

In the 1000+ matches I've been in, these are the only two instances I can recall regarding this issue. Probably not much of a big deal at all given the rarity, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this and if they have a better explanation. Also, idk if clipping is the appropriate term.

Yes, the ship hit/collision box(es), the camera location, and the "shot origin" coordinates are indeed three separate entities and they aren't exactly the same location.

The terrain object surfaces are also one way with regard to collision detection for shots if I recall correctly, at least in some cases.

So yeah, if you get "inside" a "closed" terrain object, a ship can shoot out, but other ships can't shoot in. It'll also affect things like mines that have LoS detection, so even AOE effects aren't a reliable solution. Only following them into their burrow or using AOEs that ignore LoS will work.

Note, that the misalignment of game objects does mean that it's possible to maneuver so that you're behind cover, but can still sort of poke a gun out and shoot from behind cover the way a sniper in a FPS game might, which isn't an exploit.

If this happened in a TDM match, you can report it, but they probably won't do anything about it. The easy solution is just to stay out of range of the bomber. If you saw this in a Dom map, and it's within say 17 km of a satellite, this is a serious terrain bug, and you should report it with some screen shots of the exact location in a DM to the devs. Mostly because the prospect of a gunship having protected free fire covering a sat is a serious problem.

If reporting: message a dev via the forums targeting Kanneg, Musco, or Hoffman, if you drop a GSF bug into the bug report system it'll just get eaten by hyperspace monsters, but those three all have a history of actually responding to serious GSF bugs. You could try Jackie Ko too I suppose.