Sniper/ Gunslinger in 7.0

Gibonski

Hey guys, has anyone who plays operations at minimum veteran mode can share their feedback on the class and how it plays in 7.0?

I think none of the YouTube guys did not cover the topic in the matter.

Would really appreciate some feedback.

• 1 month later...

Skip Slinger/Sniper.

Everything you need to survive was taken away, including self heals.

But not operative. They got to keep every CC, every heal, every evasion, everything they had before.

Its like BioWare said "To hell with Slingers/Snipers, we're only going to give love to Operatives/Scoundrels"

And that's exactly what they did. They made us paper tigers.

Edited by Jarbarian

Honestly very disappointed in marksman sniper in 7.0. They are putting the emphasis on Ambush, but its activation time is still too long. Removing the sub 35% ability really hurts for that reason, we definitely lost on mobility...

Thoughts?

Honestly very disappointed in marksman sniper in 7.0. They are putting the emphasis on Ambush, but its activation time is still too long. Removing the sub 35% ability really hurts for that reason, we definitely lost on mobility...

Thoughts?

Haven't thought about Ambush, because of the 16 toons I have, gear them up each and then mods, then recall each option for each spec make the game more WORK than FUN.

If Ambush has healing then maybe, But if BW thinks that just because we can do some massive damage that self heals aren't needed, they must not have deal with other classes who basically go right through your defenses.

Again, SKIP this class entirely. Its DOA!

Thoughts?

The instant cast ambush tactical is were it at though. On regular I am hitting 75K and above every match of PvP biggest hit.

Edited by BallisticKaine

Skip Slinger/Sniper.

Everything you need to survive was taken away, including self heals.

But not operative. They got to keep every CC, every heal, every evasion, everything they had before.

Its like BioWare said "To hell with Slingers/Snipers, we're only going to give love to Operatives/Scoundrels"

And that's exactly what they did. They made us paper tigers.

To be fair, Operative actually got gutted pretty hard, too. Dodge chance on roll got nerfed down to 30%, Countermeasures (their threat drop/movement impairment cleanse) was straight up taken away, their ranged root is now a choice you have to make that alters Crippling Slice, if you want Flashbang you have to give up Hololocate and vice versa, and if you want the cooldown reduction on Evasion you have to give up the 150% reflect damage on Evasion. All in all, Agent/Smuggler in general was broken down pretty hard. Not as hard as Jugg/Guardian, but still…

To be fair, Operative actually got gutted pretty hard, too. Dodge chance on roll got nerfed down to 30%, Countermeasures (their threat drop/movement impairment cleanse) was straight up taken away, their ranged root is now a choice you have to make that alters Crippling Slice, if you want Flashbang you have to give up Hololocate and vice versa, and if you want the cooldown reduction on Evasion you have to give up the 150% reflect damage on Evasion. All in all, Agent/Smuggler in general was broken down pretty hard. Not as hard as Jugg/Guardian, but still…

Yeah but we lost hard stun, ballistic dampeners, teleport, ballistic shield, hunker down reduction all to decisions. We straight up lost flash bang, heal in cover, heal to roll, and evasion. At least operatives still have hard stun, sleep dart, heals, roll on a 6 sec cooldown, stealth out. Sorry but what happened to operatives/scoundrels is no way any comparison to sniper/slinger

They got rid of almost all of the survivability skills from the gunslinger/sniper, including the essential 2% cover heal passive. I didn't want to bother with that ****, so now my gunslinger is a rifle commando, and my sniper is a scoundrel.

The passive that gave you 20% dodge chance when you leave cover is gone too. It seems to have been removed completely from the game!

The active power Evasion is gone too, folded into another power.

Ballistic Dampers has been relegated to being a CHOICE on a skill tree that includes the insta-cast Charged Shots.

The class sucks now.

Edited by BelorfinSiana

if we didn't have the 2nd class choice my slinger/sniper alt would not be leveling at all. the loss of the survival skills and passives just makes you weaker in solo stuff. group you hopefully have a healer and a tank to make it were our not getting damaged. sadly until we get half of what we lost back, going the way of a different class for solo and slinger maybe for group.

• 2 weeks later...
Granted I am 5 years out of date now (temporarily reactivated my second account to see how it goes), so I am wayyy out of date. But...we never should have had the heals we were given in 5.0 anyway, I thought at the time it was overkill.

Hey guys, has anyone who plays operations at minimum veteran mode can share their feedback on the class and how it plays in 7.0?

I think none of the YouTube guys did not cover the topic in the matter.

Would really appreciate some feedback.

Think TRASH. Well, a small gun with paperbag armor and no heals.

That's what Snipers are....the are the laughing stock of SWTOR right now.

• 2 weeks later...

This post mostly applies to PvP in Marksman, but I suppose it applies to the other specs in pvp too.

People are saying snipers have lost evasion, but that is not effectively true. Really, we lost evasion to a choice, just like we lost many other abilities to a choice. Basically, you have to choose between hardstun and evasion. And, the choice is obvious. I say that because anyone who is choosing hardstun is doing it wrong.

What's more, evasion got buffed because it (or, the mod that makes Countermeasures act like Evasion) resets Covered Escape. Combined with Imperial (I mean Meticulous) Preperation, that's 3 rolls in a row. That's very powerful in pvp, assuming you know how to position.

Also, there's been a meta shift-up in how classes are expected to use their tools. Anyone who has pvp'd has probably noticed that although stuns are down, roots are out of control (relatively speaking). Snipers are of course, the most root-heavy ranged in the game. We have 2 cover pulses + short cooldown on leg shot. For maximum kiting we should talent the speed boosts and single target knockback on the channeled move.

All this to say that Sniper is cemented as an anti-melee caster that is countered by stealthers and potentially other dot-based casters, which has been Sniper's identity for most of the game's history. It's a general consensus that Fury Marauders are a tad overtuned/fotm. It's unclear if this is just because they are easy to play and we are all adjusting, or if they need nerfing. Either way I would say that Sniper has always been harder to play, and 7.0 is a much needed return to normalcy.

For Pve, I doubt the sniper should be taking much damage anyways, and the only long term mitigation move we would have is ballistic shield but what else would you take there for pve anyways

• 2 months later...

My experience is this. At this time, i am a half-ok marksman sniper. at this time, at 326 gearscore, a barely coherent marauder with 320 gear can do 5k dps more than me when i'm doing my absolute best to hit numbers. so far my top-end damage is 12k while working my hardest to hone my rotation. mind you that's also me forgetting to put out my one DoT because tbh, for the energy cost, it's really not that great. secondly, marksman has too many utility options to select from. would like these to be replaced with skills that either increase damage, reduce cast time of skills, or at the very least give us more than 'hit ambush as often as possible'.

In my honest opinion, marksman snipers could do with losing the accuracy tertiary stat. my argument is this.

As it stands the best marksmanship parse is 25k, whereas most melee builds can hit 35k+ dps, and a relatively average melee dps can hit 18k without much effort, while marksman has to be perfect in their timing and execution to even hit 15k in a raid. if marksmanship was given 110% accuracy like how tank specs are, it won't affect PVP at all, and allow marksman to focus more into crit and alacrity. boosting their damage by at least 20% overall. if this occurs, only PVE marksman will benefit, while also putting us on-par with all other melee builds. tbh, i don't know the coding of swtor, but i'd imagine doing this one big change, and adjusting our gearing now... would fix most peoples gripes about marksmanship