Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Honest questions from a GSF noob

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Honest questions from a GSF noob

Ttoilleekul
06.11.2021 , 03:55 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by SeCKSEgai View Post
https://i.imgur.com/7YRnwFY.jpg

In the old x-wing or tie fighter games (circa win95) your blasters fired at the same point every time -- you would still see a lead reticle for moving targets to indicate where to aim, but you literally had to point the center of your ship at the target.

In gsf the guns articulate and can fire beyond dead center at an increasing accuracy penalty the farther away from center.

As the cone in the image above shows --- it expands as it reaches maximum range then flattens out -- the "bottom" or flat piece of the cone is maximum range. Notice it gets wider as it approaches maximum range. The closer you are to a target, the smaller your effective cone -- so a target 500m away a bit off center from you can be outside your effective firing arc but if you were to go backwards in a straight line away from that same target while maintaining the exact angle on that target it would now be within your firing arc.

For example, a proton torpedo is very hard to keep locked up close because your firing arc cone is much smaller the closer to your ship. At near max range, its far easier to maintain a lock because its both easier to follow a moving target in the bigger cone and because that cone is much bigger its harder to break without resorting to a missile break or breaking line of sight.

Blasters are basically the same -- with some exceptions, mainly burst laser cannon. It's easier to get a target closer to center the closer they are to your maximum effective range. BLC on the other hand gets less accurate the farther out you go but at the same time allows you to hit targets aiming farther off center than you could with any of the other lasers.

However if you look at the tooltips -- all blasters lose accuracy as you get closer to their max range. The irony is that the closer you are the smaller that effective cone becomes. For example, its a lot easier to line up a target with heavy blasters from 6k range than it is 3k, at least if they're moving.
Great explanation. I would like to add for anyone new reading this, that the origin point of all lasers is the rear of your ship. Not the front, as the animation would appear to show. This, combined with the super wide arc of BLC, tracking penalty reduction, and buffs like TT or Wingman, is what allows accomplished Tier 2 Scout pilots to make "impossible" shots like this.

https://imgur.com/WOHVmX4 (Yes I made a Imgur account finally)

The two ships here are passing each other at such a speed that the actual moment of impact of your lasers, and the moment the fly text appear - as far as the animation is concerned - all happen off screen. It is actually possible to shoot a ship that is right next to you, but is animation wise, behind you. And this is because of the origin point of your lasers being the rear of the ship. This is something that all accomplished Battle Scout pilots learn to do. I believe if more people understood what enables it to be possible, more people would be able to do it (after some practice).
-Luc Nodaro

Ramalina
06.11.2021 , 08:28 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Ttoilleekul View Post
This is an excellent explanation. As clear as can be I think, at least in text form. I saw this question from Trix and was just thinking, has anyone ever made a video demonstrating how to aim and showing all the things you talk about in this explanation Ramalina? My first thought was to check Drakolich's channel, but there's nothing there. Only an explanation of how to aim rail guns as part of his Q&A video, but nothing for primaries.
You need, GSF School

Specifically, Weapons 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iKbp0mOvrc

It's part of the very excellent Basic Training playlist.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Ttoilleekul
06.11.2021 , 08:56 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
You need, GSF School

Of course. Why didn't I think of that, well done. That will be great for Trixie.
-Luc Nodaro

TrixxieTriss
06.11.2021 , 08:54 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
You need, GSF School

Thanks.

They should rename GSF TOP Gun School

Ttoilleekul
Yesterday , 12:56 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Thanks.

They should rename GSF TOP Gun School
The instructional videos in GSF school are pretty much all pre5.5 I think, which was when the big GSF patch happened. Short version, Strikes were rubbish and no one flew them, which is why you see Despon (creator of GSF school) not flying Strkes in any of the videos. But, all the principles and tips still apply.
-Luc Nodaro

Ramalina
Yesterday , 08:03 AM | #66
There is a GSF School lesson covering the 5.5 changes, plus a bunch of example matches flown in 2020, though I don't think those ones are narrated.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch