question, 2 sec locks ?

achnaatfour

in a Domination, and this player is locking in 2 seconds

really bugs me, never been locked that quick before, can lock happen that fast ?

a couple beeps and boom :mad:

Sub 2 second locks are very easily possible. The fastest locking missile is Cluster missile on a ship equiped with Efficient targeting which comes in at a 1.1 second lock time.

Any idea what missile it was that locked onto to you?

EMP missile's lock on time is 1.5 seconds

Proton Torpedo's lock on time is 2.1 seconds

Don't forget that if a missile is in the air people can still lock onto to you, so it's possible a missile hits you and it feels like they instantly lock another one in sub second time, but in reality they were locking on to you while the first missile was still in flight. This happens very often with an EMP Missile + Proton Torpedo loadout on a Quell/Pike, you fire the EMP and while it's in the air lock the Proton.

Yeah if missile lock and launch is relatively short and you are in a strike, dont worry too much unless you are red hulled.

Short launch time means lesser missiles, though they may have debuffs with their use.

EMP missile does little damage, yet applies the debuff so you cant use your missile break or shield ability, depending on what they selected.

Clusters, does a bit of damage and can sometimes come in two's, depending on the persons tier 5 selection.

And, of course, the proton, we know what it does, lol. So, since its pretty much the longer lock on time, you can tell by how long the lock on time is.

And then, there is the nasty little sabotage probe, which first time you get it you are surprised because not too many people use it.

in a Domination, and this player is locking in 2 seconds

really bugs me, never been locked that quick before, can lock happen that fast ?

a couple beeps and boom :mad:

Drakolich and Flux have covered it, so not a lot to add here really other than yes, this is perfectly normal, and this is why evasive / defensive flying is so important. Also as Flux touches on, knowing what missile it likely is that someone is locking on you and whether or not you can safely tank it. Example, If someone is locking clusters on my Strike, I'll go F2 or QCS and tank it, saving my break. I'll also tank the first set of clusters in a Scout by going F2, but not the 2nd set. If someone has a stock ship (look at the target window to tell) and a fast-ish lock on time, I am likely going to tank that, because stock Concussions do no damage. Though when you have multiple people locking you, you can make a mistake here and end up eating a Protorp that you thought was clusters. There are even rare occasions when I will choose to tank a Protorp, if it means I can take out a prominent threat on the other side, and still heal up. If you have used your break, find cover, break line of sight until your break returns.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

I know it wasn't EMP, the effects that come with that make them obvious, and we're talking 3 beeps then boom,, so pretty sure it was Clusters, Kinda had that part figured, I think I was just used to hearing the Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep , and more, rather then just 3 beeps.

I should had known, but even with all the buffs, takes me more the 3 beeps with Clusters, (I was guessing 3 beeps was just shy 2 sec time), probably latency on my side. And/or longer beeping from Protons trying to lock on. just not used to 3 beeps

yeeeah, the Pike/Quell are my Favorites, for that reason, EMP, then Cluster, Formally Protons (due to my latency issues switched back to Clusters), even did the ION for a short time, but they seems to only annoy (with locking beeps) :rolleyes: then do any kind of damage

Oh my, I think I'm a magnet for sabotage Probe, I can't ever land one, but they sure to get on my *** a lot, but that wasn't happen in this case.

Also I don't recall which ship they were using, so not sure if they were using possibly concussions , instead of the Clusters like I mentioned a moment ago

F2, yeah do that a lot myself, normally I press it if I just can't break from their lock, or when I had already used my break (not yet cooled down), but in the moment of these short locks, I didn't react, again just use to hearing a longer getting lock tone, so wait till I am lock then use it, but this was just 3 beeps then poof, and find I've been promoted to selecting a new ship

Edited by achnaatfour

• 2 weeks later...

Strike Fighters have an innate decrease to lock-on time and an increase to firing arc. This makes Proton Torpedoes the fastest firing missiles in the game and the easiest to aim, and Strike Fighters the best Bombers. This is in conjunction to the separate buff Proton Torpedoes received too, which made them the go-to missile type, replacing everything else.

Cluster Missiles, while also quick, don't do nearly enough damage to or have as wide of an arc to complain about. They'll only kill you if you have no health. Proton Torpedoes will kill you with full, and they travel very fast. Faster than a button press. By comparison, Cluster Missiles are literal garbage, but at least their balanced. Like Proton Torpedoes USED to be.

I only use Protorps on a handful of ships/characters, and for role-playing reasons. I don't do meta. Plus I'm good enough to make ends meet with weaker, niche builds.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Strike Fighters have an innate decrease to lock-on time

False

The truth your false statement is based on:

Type 1 Strikes, Type 2 Strikes, and Type 3 Bombers can take a magazine slot upgrade called "efficient targeting" which decreases lock time by 4/6/8/10%. It is not innate to strike fighters, and while it is frequently the best magazine slot (almost always if you run proton torpedo), it costs you the other common upgrades (weapon power regeneration or max).

and an increase to firing arc.

False

This makes Proton Torpedoes the fastest firing missiles in the game

False

Maybe you meant "this makes proton torpedoes on strikes fire faster than concussion missiles on non-strikes", which is also false. The closest true thing is "this makes Type 1 Strikes, Type 2 Strikes, and Type 3 Bombers fire proton torpedoes and concussion missiles faster than Type 3 Strikes, Type 1 Bombers, Type 2 Bombers, and Type 2 Gunships"

and the easiest to aim

False

I have no idea where this aim or angle thing comes from.

and Strike Fighters the best Bombers.

False

Proton Torpedoes will kill you with full

False

It is true if you are a scout without any health or healing, or if the proton torpedo crits. A scout can survive with hydrospanner or reinforced hull. Without critting it will not one shot a gunship, a bomber, or a strike fighter.

and they travel very fast

This can be true! If the proton torpedo has increased speed, it moves about as fast as a concussion missile, which is pretty fast. It's not the fastest projectile in the game though, and it is definitely not...

Faster than a button press.

False

Edited by Verain