Galactic Season does not spark joy

eabevella

Tried to keep up with the GS goals for more than two weeks and now it has burned all my interest to this game.

Before GS, I just do things I like, mostly solo stuffs, or to pug a few FP to get the 50k conquest reward for my alts.

I have fun with that.

I tried to keep up the same pattern (play the game, get the reward) after GS was released but it's just killing the fun.

Not only do I have to do contents I don't like, I have to repeat them because my toons are spread among 3 servers.

It's simply too much time spent on doing boring (whose bright idea think killing 75 bugs is fun?) or excruciating (I hate GS and to a lesser extend, PvP) things to reach the daily/weekly goals. It was not an issue when there's only CQ.

As the wise woman Marie Kondo has said: throw it away if it doesn't spark joy.

So nope, GS does not spark joy and I decided not to do them on my "alt" servers any more.

Do them on my "main" server is enough (I'm trying to get as many things done there as possible).

And nope, I won't spend cc nor credits to unlock GS on my alt servers.

With enough time, I might even grow tired of doing GS on my main. Sometimes a person needs a bit of time to get rid of a toxic relationship.....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The system is a lot more forgiving than many seem to realize. Whilst we do not know for certain how long the season will last I am of the mind that it will run for 21 weeks, but I have been doing the maths on 20 weeks.

As a subscriber you receive eight (8) points per week simply for logging in four (4) days in that week. If you do both daily objectives for those four (4) days that is six (6) points per day. If you do one weekly objective per week that is twelve (12) points per week.

(8 + 6(4) + 12) * 20 = 880 points

That is 80 points over what is needed to reach level 100, which means you have some wiggle room to allow for some missed dailies or weeklies.

I understand the desire to want to hit level 100 as soon as possible, but if that makes the season feel like work rather than an activity to get some in-game rewards than dial back your involvement. You do not have to do everything every day in order to get all of the rewards, and if doing so is keeping your from enjoying the game then the activity has failed in its purpose.

The main goal for galactic season is to make you spend real money that`s why those dailies are so boring and repetitive and no fun so instead of doing them you can spend real money for cartel coins and get 100 level straight away!! Yeah!! This is so EA style. Social engineering masters Edited by dwiekopy

The system is a lot more forgiving than many seem to realize. Whilst we do not know for certain how long the season will last I am of the mind that it will run for 21 weeks, but I have been doing the maths on 20 weeks.

As a subscriber you receive eight (8) points per week simply for logging in four (4) days in that week. If you do both daily objectives for those four (4) days that is six (6) points per day. If you do one weekly objective per week that is twelve (12) points per week.

That is 80 points over what is needed to reach level 100, which means you have some wiggle room to allow for some missed dailies or weeklies.

I understand the desire to want to hit level 100 as soon as possible, but if that makes the season feel like work rather than an activity to get some in-game rewards than dial back your involvement. You do not have to do everything every day in order to get all of the rewards, and if doing so is keeping your from enjoying the game then the activity has failed in its purpose.

Thanks for the info and you're right, going the PO does feel like a hard labor than fun. It's better to not care about it that much. I had more fun leveling new toons to reach my 3rd legendary status during the 2x exp bonus (finished 3 classes, plus the 2 I already unlocked, there's only 3 to go, yay!). I'll spend more time on that.

The main goal for galactic season is to make you spend real money that`s why those dailies are so boring and repetitive and no fun so instead of doing them you can spend real money for cartel coins and get 100 level straight away!! Yeah!! This is so EA style. Social engineering masters

Not from me. There's nothing *that* rewarding among the GS reward anyway.

There is a big hole in your estimate...

Since the start of GS I have acquired 8 whole points.... That's it.

I don't have time nor the desire to do the daily grind.

I don't PVP.... PERIOD.

I'm a One Man Guild so no OPS....

I WILL NOT BUY anything just to get GS points, EVER. (Fools and their money are soon parted, I'm nobody's fool)

I have a life and can not play for hours upon hours a day.

So for me Galactic Seasons is BS, a waist of time and effort killing 50 million mobs for no reward and it's not even fun.

The lack of creativity and imagination on the part of the dev's, is truly pathetic.

Galactic Seasons....

Just More Useless Crap from BW.

I don't PVP.... PERIOD.

I WILL NOT BUY anything just to get GS points, EVER. (Fools and their money are soon parted, I'm nobody's fool)

So for me Galactic Seasons is BS, a waist of time and effort killing 50 million mobs for no reward and it's not even fun.

The lack of creativity and imagination on the part of the dev's, is truly pathetic.

Galactic Seasons....

Yup if you can't/wont do ops or pvp there goes the 12/24 points... So at best IF your a sub player (21x4x6) + (8x21) = 672 so it's really more like 5/6 days a week for 5 weeks unless you can get some weeklies in. A lot of effort for a new stronghold or missing companions and credits (assuming you need more shinnies)

I don't know if it sparks joy per se, but it enhances my normal gameplay, rather than interfering with it. In fact, it prompts me to do things that I wouldn't otherwise do, but I can still use towards my goals. Then, I get extra stuff for doing it.

So you have logged in less than four days per week for two of the three weeks that the season has been live. That sounds like a you "big hole" rather than a big hole in my estimate. If you had just bothered to log in, not even play just log in, for four days per week you would be at level three for doing basically nothing. And you would be 200 Cartel Coins ahead. Frell, you could have done that on all five servers and you would be 1000 CC's ahead for doing something that would only take about 10~15 mins per day (depending on your computer and connection).

I don't PVP.... PERIOD.

I guess you missed the part where I said "If you do..." IF you do both daily objectives... IF you do one weekly objective... Those IF's were based upon what the OP said they do. IF you choose to do otherwise then that will change how many points you can earn. IF you decide to ignore the whole system then that is on you and IF you do decide to do that then why MUST we hear about it? There is plenty enough to do IF you want to put in the time. IF not, then ignore it and go on about your business. So far, it seems that you could not even do the bare minimum and just log in four days in a week to get to level three.

BTW, I am also a, technically, one-person guild. I have not spent a single Coin to unlock a level and see no need to ever do so. That has not stopped me from gaining multiple levels on multiple servers on two accounts even though I have less time to play, particularly in this past week, than usual.

Galactic Seasons....

It is an in-game activity. By your own admission you do not even log into the game four days in a week. If you had you would be at level three. You would have receive 200 Cartel Coins, some decorations, a mount, and a companion for doing almost nothing. Instead you are trying to tell us that it is a waste of time to just play the game. I find your criticism irrelevant. If the rewards do not appeal to you then ignore it. How is not doing something to not receive rewards that you do not find appealing impacting your gameplay in the slightest?

I really do not understand why some people are so very angry about this business. Are they not entirely free to just ignore it? Why all the hate?

For me, I think it's because a lot of dev resources went into it, I assume. I wouldn't say I'm angry, but I am close to unsubbing due to boredom. More raids, more Ossus-like content please.

For me, I think it's because a lot of dev resources went into it, I assume. I wouldn't say I'm angry, but I am close to unsubbing due to boredom. More raids, more Ossus-like content please.

This is what I don’t understand about Bioware. Ossus felt like the game was heading in the right direction again. The open world missions, dailies, the heroics, world bosses and and even the raids felt like the swtor we all loved before kotet/Kotfe era of locked solo content and instances.

Then we got the latest expansion with Onderon/Mek Sha worlds and semi instances again. It felt like a backwards step yet again. Like Bioware don’t know if they want their game to be an MMO or a solo RPG. They go back and forth between the two and it’s no wonder players lose enthusiasm.

Then spending all this time and resources on galactic seasons for OLD CONTENT, instead of actual new playable content and it feels like they’ve given up or more likely EA have finally pulled the plug for most of the development funding that doesn’t include cash shop mechanics (it’s what makes the most sense, EA restricting funds that aren’t cash shop related).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Your fault was to look for completely the wrong thing in Galactic Seasons. Joy was never a goal for that mechanic, even in its conceptual stage. Work is. They finally implemented a Season Pass mechanic and caught up to other games that had it for a long time now and spun a very successful business model out of it. The goal of Galactic Seasons is twofold:

Firstly. It is another layer of sifting Cartel Coins and credits out of the big pockets of certain players who don't actually play the game anymore, but rather played the market and used the referral link scheme very well. There are players out there sitting on thousands of Cartel Coins and billions of credits and since they mostly don't enjoy the stagnating content that the game has to offer, they will shell out the 10k Cartel Coins and the upcoming credit unlock in an instant to get their fleet penthouse. There is absolutely no coincidence that they removed the referral link scheme at the very same time as they were introducing Galactic Seasons to us. None at all.

Secondly. It will commit players with smaller pockets to the game and make them log in and repeat the same activities in order to keep the population for those activities stable. This is where the work part comes in. The vast majority of players don't do that because they enjoy doing the same stuff or group content over and over again, but they want their Cartel Coins and their penthouse on the fleet. And the game is telling them that you either have to work for it or you have to spend money to buy it. Add all the F2P and Preffered players into the mix and you will get a big increase in subscriptions every 5 months now to reap the exclusive subscriber track rewards before the season ends.

The real indicator for the success of Galactic Seasons will be the rewards that we get in the future. I would say in its introductory season the rewards are medium. Not particularly great, but not completely worthless either. They will have to step up their game in future seasons for sure to make it worthwhile for the majority of players.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I really do not understand why some people are so very angry about this business. Are they not entirely free to just ignore it? Why all the hate?

Because opinions might change with time, I might hate a thing out of being unfamiliar with it at first but love it later, so I gave it 2 weeks to see whether the "change" is good for me or not.

But after 2 weeks, I found the mindless "kill 75 bugs" and GS my most hated activities, instead of the PvP (it's short, even if I was obliterated, it was fast) or OPs (I started to do OPs with my new guild so it's not that scary), and doing GS hinders my play style with my toons more than it benefits me, so this is my official conclusion/feedback to GS.

And this is just for me. My mains are all 306gear with full sets, some with augments some without. I can easily participate PvP/OPs without feeling too weak (skill aside, I suck at PvP). I imagine many players who focus on solo story contents don't do that with their toons and GS will bring even more pain to them and while they can choose to ignore GS, it doesn't feel good to be sidelined by the devs, hence the hate.

Edited by eabevella

Yea...no more Ossus type content please. This ridiculous grind was over the top. The daily area was lackluster, world boss - just lol. How many players are playing the new Dxun Ops again? Almost noone, so not need to waste resources for content, played by the absolute minority in the game (as the devs have been doing for the past 3 years).

Aside from that GS is not worthwhile for me. I am not exactly thrilled to do things i have done for the past 7-8 years. No thanks, there is no reward that would make me do it. Certainly not some space barbie stuff like new stronghold, some weird companion without any lines, any quests, any dialogue, or trinkets and CC. Just no.

Edited by ExarSun

I don't PVP.... PERIOD.

Galactic Seasons....

So you are very busy and don't have much time to play. You also refuse to do any pvp or Ops. You refuse to do " daily grind". You refuse to use money (real life cash or imaginary, ig?) to catch up. Exactly how much should you get out of this system, in your own opinnion? All the things?

Edited by Stradlin

Eh, I'm much more interested of an overarching reward system that tries actually to do things than I'd be about just another daily zone like Ossus. GS shakes people up, encourages them to go bit beyond their routines and comfort zones. It makes (some ) people discover brand new previously untouched venues of the game. That's an extremely good way to spend devving hours.

New daily area like Ossus wouldn't register as something different from..well, Ossus, or Y4, or Rishi, Or Oricon for me personally. Not in terms of gameplay.

...Not to put Ossus down too much, its one of the best daily zones in game.

Edited by Stradlin

Most people have a reason why they don't do something, they don't like it. Shocking huh? Can you get a very small number finding out they are having fun with something different, probably. However the big downside to this is just how many people are getting angry. How many want those strongholds and realize the mind numbing repetition required? Just how many insects on Voss will they need to kill in the coming months? How many warzones will they simply leave their character standing while walking off to make a sandwich?

For what the next half year, longer for both the strongholds?

I wonder how many will do an event or two then go play something else to forget the frustrations. How many will simply stop coming back when they realize they do not miss that feeling of frustration? They don't miss their pvp being ruined, their operations being ruined, their warzones being ruined, their veteran flashpoints being ruined, their gsf ruined by people doing something they really do not want to do for half a year to get those strongholds.

What is simply crazy about this is the fix is so obvious, more rerolls and a mechanic in place that swaps each roll between a pvp and pve event each time. Want to really impress us, let us share so we can actually run with our friends again as well.

Every time I reroll a warzone and get gsf in its place or I get section X for the fourth day in a row I find myself signing out sooner than before. How many others do you think are doing the same?

Edited by Cindron

Most people have a reason why they don't do something, they don't like it. Shocking huh?

There was this person in some other thread talking about what a joke pvp was. They went in as a lvl 35 without any new abilities bought since lvl 10. They went in without having an understanding of how bolstering works, mistaking random boosted opponents as " real" lvl 75 players etc. Then, they spoke what a joke pvp is.(technically they were right, just that punchline wasn't what they thought it were.) -> People dislike aspects of game they don't know or understand. If you don't know a thing about pvp, you inevitably fail at it. So it makes sense to dislike it. Perfectly human. Just that none of that means you had actually given it a change and found out if you might actually like it or not. It takes figuring out even baselevel elementaries about any playstyle til you can actually judge if it is bad or not. Climbing past that curve or learning something new and being the " noob" of the pack for X amount of games can be annoying and, ever since conquest lost its original shape and purpose, people been lacking incentives to do it in TOR. GS gave some new carrots to chase.

"I don't know how to play this content and learnign it is annoying" and "i dislike this content" and " this content is such a joke!!" are often compeltely interchangeable in peoples' minds I think. With GS, some people get to figure out what they actually think about some new-to-them content after figuring it out even a little bit. Many have found new fav parts of the game like this over last weeks. If you do, that's basically like getting a free expansion all of a sudden.

can you get a very small number finding out they are having fun with something different, probably. However the big downside to this is just how many people are getting angry?

Let's look at somebody who refuses to do any group content for any reason ever. Month back they had no GS and 0 POs to completel. Now, they have GS and like 75% of the PO pool is stuff made just for them. They can work their way to a nunber of 200x cc dings, couple of tokens, have new BFF insectoid with a weird trunk on his face..and they are angry because GS isn't 100% about the single player experience. Its kinda weird. Less than 10% of GS objectives are about my preferred playstyles. Yet, I have no issues seeing it as a cool system for the game overall.

It does good things to the "nature" of players' activity.

Edited by Stradlin

I think the hate comes from the fact that this is packaged as "what you are meant to do" in the game or certainly as "hey look, new content for our 10th year anniversary" (which of course its not)

The problem for me is that the game is getting swamped in non-content - achievements, conquests, galactic seasons etc. and real content is getting forgotten about.

Also, I'd say that while achievements are sufficently in the background that you can ignore them if you wish and may just happen to trip over one as you go about your business and now conquests also, you also hit your 50k target in much the same way...almost by accident as there are so many of them, however galactic seasons you have to do "homework", its like a job to do.

Starting out

I used to log into my favoured toon and run their story and then start another.

In later years

I used to do a flashpoint

maybe a warzone

sell a few bits on the gtn

....now and them maybe even set a night aside for a story mode op.

NOW

I log in

claim daily rewards

find somewhere to put them

check that my tech fragments aren't ovverflowing

look for a missing armor set that I can't fit in my legacy bank

check my gtn listings and refresh them if undercut

crunch clutter into tech fragments

check my galactic seasons objectives and see which toon I should do them on to get them done fastest and decide whether to get them out of the way first or what time I'll need to do them at so that there are sufficient like minded players around to complete them with

check to see if I have enough time to "Play the game"

relist my gtn stuff again

... and log out!!

.....is this what they want me to do with my time?!!

.....is this what they want me to do with my time?!!

Maybe! Core gameplay in any "modern" tab targeter MMO is pretty simple really. Follow mission pointer GPS, click a mob, watch mob die, loot a mob, repeat til done with the story. More bells, whistles and additonal layers of more or less menial busywork you have on top of it, I recon the better it is for the game in long term.

Edited by Stradlin

I want to do OP because I want to know the stories.

I finally found a guild that's in my time zone. After doing a few ones, I realized I like it.

GS has no appealing that can make me enjoy PvP and GS because PvP and GS themselves have nothing appealing to me.

I think that's the real problem of GS and the complaints surrounding it.

It's not "you gain x rewards if you do this content" but "you don't gain x rewards if you don't do this content"

Yes, it's essentially the same it you tear both systems down, but doing the former definitely *feels* better than the later.

I'm not a big fan of GS. I basically did enough stuff to get the Fleet Apartment. Now that I have that, I will skip any PvP or GSF tasks.

I basically just do some of the GS stuff - kill stuff, do heroics, etc - for something to do while waiting for GF to pop.

I would have to agree with those who want real content, instead of GS. I'm hoping that something good will happen for the 10th anniversary, or I'm going to run out of things to keep me here.

What Happened to play how you want? Now you gotta do so much PVP and Space PVP. To be honest I have not really looked into what I need to be doing. All I know is I have not hit the third unlock yet.

You have totally misunderstood what "Play Your Way" actually meant. First of all, it's just a marketing slogan, and more importantly, it's pretty clear that it referred to "we've added lots of different ways of gearing your character, so you can gear it the way you want". That is, all those different set bonus sets and mod-objects allow you to fine-tune your character to be what you want it to be, except that for each spec, there is only ===> that set bonus that is worth anything, and that all <<== those mod-objects are near to being worthless.

Um. Sorry. I'm not impressed by their slogan, especially in hindsight.