Combat Styles?

CaptTom

When I first heard about combat styles I was excited. Hearing that classes would have access to weapons that were previously unavailable sounded like a good thing, mainly because I've always wanted my jedi knight to have a double-bladed lightsaber. But what I feel is that they didn't tell or explain enough about is that if you do that, then you'll be playing the jedi knight story but you can't actually play as a jedi knight, you'll essentially be a jedi shadow. The way they were talking made it sound like "oh you can be a trooper with a sniper rifle" meaning you were a trooper just using a sniper rifle, not that if you used a sniper rifle you had completely different abilities. So weapons are still locked behind requirements which is not the way they made it sound. So to me, there's nothing new about combat styles, just a way to make things look new. I apologize if this sounds like whining and I'm sure there'll be lots of people who like things this way, it just doesn't seem like much has actually changed to me and what they should/could have done was make weapons independent of abilities so we could truly customize our characters the way we want to. It also seems like the developers of the game have something against hybrid builds and have done everything they can to limit our abilities so there really isn't a lot of choice, which seems odd for a company like bioware that professes to be all about giving players lots of choices in their games.

It's not whining. It's really a botched multi-class system. Normally when someone thinks of multi-classing, they're obtaining things or abilities from their second class. I'm flabbergasted myself that it's really just adding a secondary class to "switch styles" while in a rested area... not actually enhancing your current class or offering any real additional customization.

Exactly. I thought that with a secondary class you would get abilities from both, instead of being forced to choose between two cookie-cutter classes. Does the game have something against people creating unique builds?

The problem is that word "secondary", which is mis-used, and should really be "second" or "other".

And yes, they do have something about "unique"(1) builds, sometimes called "hybrid". It made balancing even harder than it already is in any MMORPG with multiple classes. (Er, when Disciplines replaced real trees, they eliminated a bunch of hybrid builds, and they *said* it was because it was hard to balance.)

(1) FOTM considerations meant that they were rarely *truly* unique because most of the hybrids actually sucked, so only a few were viable, but often more viable than "pure" builds.

I'm voting with my dollars: Already Un-subscribed.

Looked at Operative's and Assassin's combat styles, cringed, and thought, " they can't expect me to play this!?" Slowly reached for that quit game button. nothing slowed me down.

edit: EAware only listens to $$$, so why not "talk" in way that they'll listen?

Edited by StarLionAzure

You do know that troopers weren't able to use sniper rifles and dual pistols before, right? That's what I meant. I said in my original post that the developers were saying that you could be a trooper and use a sniper rifle, so what other conclusion would anyone else come to?

The way they were talking made it sound like "oh you can be a trooper with a sniper rifle" meaning you were a trooper just using a sniper rifle, not that if you used a sniper rifle you had completely different abilities.

You don't realise that 'trooper', 'agent', 'warrior' etc is a story-based distinction, do you?

Apparently I can play agent story now with my bh's FLAME FISTING and it's damn lit.

I apologize if this sounds like whining and I'm sure there'll be lots of people who like things this way

This a whining, mate.

it just doesn't seem like much has actually changed to me

Why should it? This change wasn't meant to you seems so, enjoy the same you enjoyed 6 previous expansions.

• 3 weeks later...
It's not whining. It's really a botched multi-class system. Normally when someone thinks of multi-classing, they're obtaining things or abilities from their second class. I'm flabbergasted myself that it's really just adding a secondary class to "switch styles" while in a rested area... not actually enhancing your current class or offering any real additional customization.

I was extremely excited at the idea that I could merge the Sith Marauder and Juggernaut, or one of the afor mentioned with the Assassin's abilities to mix DPS and Stealth. But nah, it really is quite the underwhelming release.

• 2 weeks later...
I was extremely excited at the idea that I could merge the Sith Marauder and Juggernaut, or one of the afor mentioned with the Assassin's abilities to mix DPS and Stealth. But nah, it really is quite the underwhelming release.

All it did was make it so I didn't have to level both toons...

But then I flip between specs using the loadouts and it screws up my ability bar every time. This is a joke.