Game too easy - Difficulty settings makes no difference.

Lord_Kjer

Hello,

First of all, I just want to say that overall, I love SWTOR, - But it's not completely without flaws. Personally, the "only" thing I do not like about Swtor, is that the game is just overall too easy and offer next to no challenge. And what's even worse, is that when you're a subscriber, it feels like you get punished even further on that regard with the increased XP and XP boosters and such. I mean, you level up waaay too fast in accordance what lvl the planets are designed for... I reach lvl 75 before I even reach Hoth. - And honestly, I feel no difference what-so-ever with the different "Mission Difficulty Preferences" you can choose from, even when playing on "Master". - At this point it feels more like you're watching a movie with few interaction possibilities (a very good movie though), rather than playing a game. Of course, in this regard I am not talking about Operations, Flashpoints of PvP, I am talking about normal story-line playthrough (with side missions & Heroics).

I don't know if this is something that will- or have already been taken into account with Legacy of the Sith, in that case I apologize for this post, because then I must have missed that detail, but if not, then I really think it's worth considering for the players that just really want a challenge... I do have a few ideas of my own how this could be addressed:

1) Add a new difficulty level, call it "Hardcore" maybe / OR / Entirely new "Hardcore mode" servers.

2) Lower the XP gained in overall.

Thank you for you time to read my suggestion and my input, - And may the force be with ya'll! ;)

https://imgur.com/a/1TSGVuW

Edited by Lord_Kjer

Hello,

First of all, I just want to say that overall, I love SWTOR, - But it's not completely without flaws. Personally, the "only" thing I do not like about Swtor, is that the game is just overall too easy and offer next to no challenge. And what's even worse, is that when you're a subscriber, it feels like you get punished even further on that regard with the increased XP and XP boosters and such. I mean, you level up waaay too fast in accordance what lvl the planets are designed for... I reach lvl 75 before I even reach Hoth. - And honestly, I feel no difference what-so-ever with the different "Mission Difficulty Preferences" you can choose from, even when playing on "Master". - At this point it feels more like you're watching a movie with few interaction possibilities (a very good movie though), rather than playing a game. Of course, in this regard I am not talking about Operations, Flashpoints of PvP, I am talking about normal story-line playthrough (with side missions & Heroics).

I don't know if this is something that will- or have already been taken into account with Legacy of the Sith, in that case I apologize for this post, because then I must have missed that detail, but if not, then I really think it's worth considering for the players that just really want a challenge... I do have a few ideas of my own how this could be addressed:

1) Add a new difficulty level, call it "Hardcore" maybe / OR / Entirely new "Hardcore mode" servers.

Thank you for you time to read my suggestion and my input, - And may the force be with ya'll! ;)

The difficulty settings have never worked anywhere outside of KotFE/KotET so that is probably why you feel no difference there. Difficulty is increased for 7.0 as far as what was on the PTS but it is more a longer slog through fights (due to fewer/slower gain of attack abiities and occasionally running out of "energy" ) rather than any advanced mechanics. Some classes have difficulty maintaining threat so your companion comes under attack more often, potentially reducing their healing on you as they heal themselves. With high level companions, the difference is not really noticeable but sub influence 10 companions, it can be noticeable on the squishier classes. Leveling is somewhat slower since all of the XP for conquest objective completion is removed in 7.0. Also, level sync has been expanded to include all stats and not just the primary ones, which weakens some classes more than others.

xp gain is a positive reinforcement loop. Leave my xp gain alone.

whats wrong with having a choice? you vehemently oppose most things in the way of making the game a tad bit harder even if its an instance where a player would choose to. you boast about having 150 characters, i assume you know how to play them in and out so you shouldn't have a problem if they do make the game a tad bit harder. even if they gave no choice.

to the OP:

i would love a XP reduction or flat out disabling of xp gain. make the game a bit more challening. also remove level sync as a choice, it ruined 1-50 experience.

Edited by GeneralGyro

whats wrong with having a choice?.

Because you know as well as I do things in this game don't wind up being a choice. All our boats are in the same water, and this game has never, never offered a toggle to raise or lower xp or planet sync. You can get a token off fleet to lower your xp temporarily, but the more people bellyache about wanting to get xp to be a royal pain to grind, the more likely it is that any such change—given this game's history which you know—will affect everyone, not just those jonesing for it.

And, if you go back enough years, you'll remember people were wanting just the opposite—faster xp.

So not only would a change affect everyone, but historically, Bioware also overdoes things, and the pendulum swings too far the other way.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Because you know as well as I do things in this game don't wind up being a choice. All our boats are in the same water, and this game has never, never offered a toggle to raise or lower xp or planet sync. You can get a token off fleet to lower your xp temporarily, but the more people bellyache about wanting to get xp to be a royal pain to grind, the more likely it is that any such change—given this game's history which you know—will affect everyone, not just those jonesing for it.

And, if you go back enough years, you'll remember people were wanting just the opposite—faster xp.

So not only would a change affect everyone, but historically, Bioware also overdoes things, and the pendulum swings too far the other way.

how about a toggle for difficulty. they have that for kotet and kotfe.

Or just sell an unlockable item that removes all XP bonus. Actually while writing this, I realize there's a way: just dont subscribe lol. So, you would get no XP bonus. I can see the downside though, you are literally stuck with other F2P/Preferred restrictions. Personally, the downside for fast levelling is when you are collecting Planetary outfit sets, e.g. Toxic Force Lord...etc. If you out level a planet too fast, it will start dropping the next tier so this is difficult to get a complete set.

how about a toggle for difficulty. they have that for kotet and kotfe.

That has been asked for before. I have no problem with that sort of system. I don't expect that to happen.

What I would see happening is the devs taking the least amount of effort to reduce XP, which would affect everyone. That's why I'm against it. It's not my choice to have my xp reduced just because someone else does, and I'm cynical enough to believe such a system won't occur, just an across-the-board xp nerf.

No thank you.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Hello,

First of all, I just want to say that overall, I love SWTOR, - But it's not completely without flaws. Personally, the "only" thing I do not like about Swtor, is that the game is just overall too easy and offer next to no challenge. And what's even worse, is that when you're a subscriber, it feels like you get punished even further on that regard with the increased XP and XP boosters and such. I mean, you level up waaay too fast in accordance what lvl the planets are designed for... I reach lvl 75 before I even reach Hoth...

Often I won't use many of my XP bonus I'm given, but depends do I do the purple mandatory Class & Planetary story, or all the optional GOLD ones too? I will NEVER start a new character while 2x XP is on for sure! Yet some people like that, it also doesn't STOP one from only equipping MODs to match the Enemy Level on each Planet!

I disagree that it's too easy though, and while most planets at close to or similar level to the enemy are FINE. Still even if I'm 5-10 levels higher than the Enemy I only slightly NOTICE the change; and most don't like DYING endlessly when your supposed to be the HERO or VILLIAN! :)

If you do the HEROICs on those planets you'll often be in for a WAKE UP call especially if running alone, at least till your 15-25 levels higher in gear at least! Or run with 1-2 other players at least!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

If they did a LEGENDARY mode Flashpoint/Operation I'd see it identical to Master for Mechanics; just a TIMER on each BOSS (that makes it challenging) so failure not be an option. Maybe if it's the 1st, 2nd, failed attempt at the first two boss you'd get 3 strikes (each reducing the timer by random 1-11 seconds) before your exited from the Instance and progress reset. Failing to get to the final BOSS first time though, you'd not complete the mission and he'd laugh as you lay dying before he exits! Your attempt to restart, begins you from the START.

Remember the Flashpoint on Manaan (Story Mode) where you have like 10 minutes to defeat the final boss, at least him they give you a repeated attempts but that's Story Mode as well. Legendary wouldn't be so FORGIVING! As they'd be based on LEGANDARY boss FIGHTs, of a full 8 person or 16 person party team... ...it also require all to be MAX Item Level, perhaps even a few fully augmented as well--depending on their role.

Still I think the balance they offer in difficulty is JUST FINE as it is!

Legacy of Sith will also likely be challenging, at least for new Flashpoints/Operations (not the older ones) as we'll be starting at 318 Gear! That be like running 75 Flashpoints/Operations in all 270 Gear with your team! In time we'll see 37-40 new Levels with 80. Yet the opportunities to earn Higher Gear will be Reduced with Legacy of Sith. As RENOWN is disappearing, we'll see several less chances to get Higher Item Level Gear, as several Older Flashpoints/Operations will only award 270-306 (75) Level Gear.

Edited by Strathkin

xp gain is a positive reinforcement loop. Leave my xp gain alone.

Which is exactly why we are talking about "optioners" = Personal settings. - But I am focusing on doing so without sacrificing any game content and/or paid features that comes with subscription... You may keep your XP.

Often I won't use many of my XP bonus I'm given, but depends all the purple mandatory Class & Planetary story, or all the options GOLD ones too. I will NEVER start a new character while 2x XP is on for sure! Yet some people like that, it also doesn't STOP one from only equipping MODs to match[/u] the Enemy Level on each Planet!

I disagree that it's too easy though, and while most planets at close to or similar level to the enemy are FINE. Still even if I'm 5-10 levels higher than the Enemy I only slightly NOTICE the change; and most don't like DYING endlessly when your supposed to be the HERO or VILLIAN! :)

If you do the HEROICs on those planets you'll often be in for a WAKE UP call especially if running alone, at least till your 15-25 levels higher in gear at least! Or run with 1-2 other players at least!

If they did a LEGENDARY mode Flashpoint/Operation I'd see it identical to Master for Mechanics; just a TIMER on each BOSS (that makes it challenging) so failure not be an option. Maybe if it's the 1st, 2nd, failed attempt at the first two boss you'd get 3 strikes (each reducing the timer by random 1-11 seconds) before your exited from the Instance and progress reset. Failing to get to the final BOSS first time though, you'd you'd not complete the mission and he'd laugh as you lay dying before he exits! Your attempt to restart starts you from the START.

Remember the Flashpoint on Manaan (Story Mode) where you have like 10 minutes to defeat the final boss, at least him they give you a repeated attempts but that's Story Mode as well. Legendary wouldn't be so FORGIVING! As they'd be based on LEGANDARY boss FIGHTs, of a full 8 person or 16 person party team... ...it also require all to be MAX Item Level, perhaps even a few fully augmented as well--depending on their role.

Still I think the balance they offer in difficulty is JUST FINE as it is!

Legacy of Sith will also likely be challenging, at least for new Flashpoints/Operations (not the older ones) as we'll be starting at 318 Gear! That be like running 75 Flashpoints/Operations in all 270 Gear with your team! In time we'll see 37-40 new Levels with 80. Yet the opportunities to earn Higher Gear will be Reduced with Legacy of Sith. As RENOWN is disappearing, we'll see several less chances to get Higher Item Level Gear, as several Older Flashpoints/Operations will only award 270-306 (75) Level Gear.

Thank you so much for your input, it was very interesting to read!

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion of the story mode not being too easy, but allow me to clarify how it is for me right now: If you're a subscriber and even if you play on Master difficulty, you can literally attack mobs, close your eyes, put your companion on "Heal", and just tab the most basic attack key without the need to use special abilities, and then you can open your eyes a moment later and they will all be dead. (Heroics excluded)

I keep seing ideas such as “just do this & that, or don’t do this & that”… For example, “Just don’t subscribe”, “Just don’t use XP boosters”, … There’s a fundamental problem with ideas such as this, because “imo” I don't think players should have to sacrifice ANYTHING in order just gain some more challenge, more challenging gameplay should not be too much to ask for in any kind of game imo. players should NEVER have to cut corners nor sacrifice anything such as gameplay or paid game features through subscription, - Especially when we’re talking about such a simple option/lust as wanting more challenge.

An idea was brought up at Illeva’s community where we were discussing this as well:

The idea: Nevertheless, having an item that you could trigger like an XP boost but to lower your xp gain could work. I think this could be great for people who are looking to transition towards harder content

My response: An item that you could trigger that lowers your xp gain is technically an "indirect" sacrifice, and removes some of the things you're actually paying for as a subscriber... However, it could still be done, but upon sacrificing xp gained, you should gain something else instead as a compensation... Perhaps more credits gained from missions, or higher chance for better loot.

However, it could still be done, but upon sacrificing xp gained, you should gain something else instead as a compensation... Perhaps more credits gained from missions, or higher chance for better loot.[/i]

Better make it a subscriber-only option, otherwise industrial-strength commercial credit farmers, the ones that spam their shady website links in genchat, mail it to us, whisper it to us, would love that. They're already not making as much XP for not subscribing their farming bots, just subscriptions on their trading mules, so higher return for lower XP on those FTP bots would be an excellent boon for them.

My response: An item that you could trigger that lowers your xp gain is technically an "indirect" sacrifice, and removes some of the things you're actually paying for as a subscriber... However, it could still be done, but upon sacrificing xp gained, you should gain something else instead as a compensation... Perhaps more credits gained from missions, or higher chance for better loot.

And this is always what it comes down to. I think I am better than you so I deserve more rewards (and is exactly why they shouldn't do what you suggested). Maybe they should take the opposite tack and if the content is too easy you should get less rewards. The problem with all the "make the game harder" ideas is that with level sync, there is no way to make the game easier if you are having difficulty but there are tons of ways to make it more difficult if you choose. You can't outgear or overlevel content to make it easier, which is the classic MMO strategy to get past difficult content.

The toggle you are suggesting for "harder" content is exactly the same thing as people have suggested (use lower power gear, use the white acute module, set your companion on passive). All of these things reduce your character's strength just as the difficulty toggles in KotFE and KoTET do. It just requires you, as the player, to make the choice for your own enjoyment. Base leveling content isn't supposed to be all that challenging. Trash mobs are just that, trash. They are designed to slow you down not challenge you.

I would love to see a system where your rewards are keyed to the difference in your actual character level and the level of your opponent (and the difference between you gear rating and the average rating for the planet). That way overpowered characters take a penalty on destroying NPCs miles below them in level. All in all the system is not that different from what launched. When you hit 6 levels above the opponent, they are no challenge. Level sync doesn't change your actual level but rather caps your stats leaving you with ultra powerful abilities compared to your opponents.

If you're a subscriber and even if you play on Master difficulty[/i]

can you please stop saying you're playing on Master difficulty. That toggle is for KOTFE/KOTET. Otherwise the remaining story missions are all the same difficulty (which they've set to make it so most players can make it through the story, which is very important to <safe to assume?> at least 50% of the players).

If you want more difficulty, don't lvl up your comp, dont upgrade your gear, and don't use a healer comp

And I'm not sure who said lvl sync ruined the 1-50 experience. I would say with how fast we lvl up, it did the exact opposite. Because before lvl sync if you were higher lvl than the planet you could literally walk by enemies without stealth. Sneeze and wipe out the entire map and solo the world bosses. so no lvl sync actually helped with making the game more difficult

I would love to see a system where your rewards are keyed to the difference in your actual character level and the level of your opponent (and the difference between you gear rating and the average rating for the planet). That way overpowered characters take a penalty on destroying NPCs miles below them in level. All in all the system is not that different from what launched. When you hit 6 levels above the opponent, they are no challenge. Level sync doesn't change your actual level but rather caps your stats leaving you with ultra powerful abilities compared to your opponents.

The reason it's not that way is so that max level players can group with lowbies, helping them out on starter planets if they wish, without feeling like they're wasting their time baby-sitting and getting nothing to show for it when they could be off doing level-appropriate content. With rewards geared toward their level + level sync, they are.

Edited by xordevoreaux

The reason it's not that way is so that max level players can group with lowbies, helping them out on starter planets if they wish, without feeling like they're wasting their time baby-sitting and getting nothing to show for it when they could be off doing level-appropriate content. With rewards geared toward their level + level sync, they are.

There is a simple fix for that issue. The reduced rewards don't apply if you are grouped with someone of the appropriate level for the planet (say within 5 levels of planet max).

With most MMOs, there's some kind of grind mechanic. Personally, if I'm going to be grinding dailies and weeklies on multiple characters, I don't want a difficult game. I'll do the reputation grinds, get all contacts for all alts, do all main and side quests, and grind the renown rank or whatever it is or will be. So I like things easy.

However, for people who get geared and actually want some difficulty or want things harder right away, I do think there should be an option for them to increase their difficulty. If anything, all the Devs have to do is make an NPC that gives a debuff of sorts. Like reduced XP gain, reduced damaged to enemies, and increased overall damage to player. Maybe even give more customization by letting them choose how much of each value. The only problem I see is that it would need to be temporarily removed for PvP, flashpoints, and operations. Unless you really hate yourself, I guess.

Thank you so much for your input, it was very interesting to read!

I keep seing ideas such as “just do this & that, or don’t do this & that”… For example, “Just don’t subscribe”, “Just don’t use XP boosters”, … There’s a fundamental problem with ideas such as this, because “imo” I don't think players should have to sacrifice ANYTHING in order just gain some more challenge, more challenging gameplay should not be too much to ask for in any kind of game imo. players should NEVER have to cut corners nor sacrifice anything such as gameplay or paid game features through subscription, - Especially when we’re talking about such a simple option/lust as wanting more challenge.

An idea was brought up at Illeva’s community where we were discussing this as well:

The idea: Nevertheless, having an item that you could trigger like an XP boost but to lower your xp gain could work. I think this could be great for people who are looking to transition towards harder content

While for #1 I've heard rumors that with Legacy of Sith the Guild XP Gain's will change from 15% to perhaps 5% or 10% depending if Guilds have at least 10 Subscribers in them? I don't know if that's true!

I suspect however the Guild's 15% Reputation bonus remain. Yet don't know what they will replace the 10% RXP (Renown) with if anything... ...so you (OP) RAISE an excellent question about if people don't use XP bonus, don't think they'll give anything though, as it's a choice to use XP boosts or not.

Still I mostly only put on Gear in the 3 Tiers provided by each planet, why I think things are FINE; it's a situation created by each person. :)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Still I'm surprised nobody commented on my Idea for Legendary Flashpoints / Operations, that similar to Master Mode Mechanic; yet each Boss has timer (3x Strikes) your out. With a 1-11s (random) reduced timer each failed attempt, except last BOSS who has to be finished first time. Fail so many BOSS 1st time, the instance kicks you out with the BOSS laughing! Perhaps also earn an Accolade like Laughed at by Boss X. ;)

Edited by Strathkin

And this is always what it comes down to. I think I am better than you so I deserve more rewards (and is exactly why they shouldn't do what you suggested). Maybe they should take the opposite tack and if the content is too easy you should get less rewards. The problem with all the "make the game harder" ideas is that with level sync, there is no way to make the game easier if you are having difficulty but there are tons of ways to make it more difficult if you choose. You can't outgear or overlevel content to make it easier, which is the classic MMO strategy to get past difficult content.

The toggle you are suggesting for "harder" content is exactly the same thing as people have suggested (use lower power gear, use the white acute module, set your companion on passive). All of these things reduce your character's strength just as the difficulty toggles in KotFE and KoTET do. It just requires you, as the player, to make the choice for your own enjoyment. Base leveling content isn't supposed to be all that challenging. Trash mobs are just that, trash. They are designed to slow you down not challenge you.

No, and no. Let me repeat myself. As a player, I should not have to sacrifice game content nor cut corners away from game content in order to achieve such a simple request of wanting more challenge in a game. - Therefore, what I am suggesting is adding "OPTIONS" (it's like people don't understand that word)... Where you can change the difficulty to provide a bigger challenge whilst keeping things as they already are for those who like that. - WIN-WIN. - I am not attempting to bring ideas that would change gameplay for everyone, as that would be very selfish, I understand that lots of people like it the way it is, and I respect that.

After reflecting a while, I have come to the conclusion that, what I am really looking for, is a setting that makes story/side missions as hard as a Heroics 2+ currently is, where you can "just" get by with a companion, but have to focus a little....... I mean C'mon! - Like mentioned earlier, you can literally attack mobs, put your companion on "Heal", close your eyes, and just tab the most basic attack key without the need to use special abilities, and then you can open your eyes a moment later and they will all be dead. I should have to use lower gear, nor choose to not bring companion just in order to achieve a bit more challenge than that, that's - excuse my words - braind dead.

That said, it's not about being "better, so I deserve more"... See it this way, I choose to play a game on harder difficulty, therefore the grind and the missions take longer time, but the rewards might just be a little better, where in the current mode, you spend less time, but the rewards is just slightly less. Have you ever heard the expression "time is money" ??... So basically the outcome would be very equal.

can you please stop saying you're playing on Master difficulty. That toggle is for KOTFE/KOTET. Otherwise the remaining story missions are all the same difficulty (which they've set to make it so most players can make it through the story, which is very important to <safe to assume?> at least 50% of the players).

If you want more difficulty, don't lvl up your comp, dont upgrade your gear, and don't use a healer comp

And I'm not sure who said lvl sync ruined the 1-50 experience. I would say with how fast we lvl up, it did the exact opposite. Because before lvl sync if you were higher lvl than the planet you could literally walk by enemies without stealth. Sneeze and wipe out the entire map and solo the world bosses. so no lvl sync actually helped with making the game more difficult

It still doesn't change the point I am advocating for, Master settings being for KOTFE/KOTET or not, doesn't change the fact that story/side missions are still too easy, and that I think the game need a an option where you can choose a higher difficulty. - WITHOUT having to sacrifice game content as you suggest, - "If you want more difficulty, don't lvl up your comp, dont upgrade your gear, and don't use a healer comp" - For the very logical & fear reason I mentioned earlier: "There’s a fundamental problem with ideas such as this, because “imo” I don't think players should have to sacrifice ANYTHING in order just gain some more challenge, more challenging gameplay should not be too much to ask for in any kind of game imo. players should NEVER have to cut corners nor sacrifice anything such as gameplay or paid game features through subscription, - Especially when we’re talking about such a simple option/lust as wanting more challenge."

With most MMOs, there's some kind of grind mechanic. Personally, if I'm going to be grinding dailies and weeklies on multiple characters, I don't want a difficult game. I'll do the reputation grinds, get all contacts for all alts, do all main and side quests, and grind the renown rank or whatever it is or will be. So I like things easy.

However, for people who get geared and actually want some difficulty or want things harder right away, I do think there should be an option for them to increase their difficulty. If anything, all the Devs have to do is make an NPC that gives a debuff of sorts. Like reduced XP gain, reduced damaged to enemies, and increased overall damage to player. Maybe even give more customization by letting them choose how much of each value. The only problem I see is that it would need to be temporarily removed for PvP, flashpoints, and operations. Unless you really hate yourself, I guess.

I am glad you understand... I am not advocating for changing things as it currently is, I completely understand where you coming from and you should be able to enjoy the game the way you like! - I am merely suggesting to add an option for a different kind of audience, because "my kind of audience" is in fact an entire player-base that I think the game is missing out on... Lucky for me, it's not a complete game-breaker, but I would be playing Swtor MUCH MORE than I currently am if this "OPTION" was in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

No, you can no longer get that token. The vendor is gone.

Hello,

DIFFICULTY level is ok.

XP GAIN, = nobody forc you to get those XP boosters, the story line gives lot of XP coz isnt the point to do in middle hundreds of FPs to proceed to see the next part of the story.

IM sure that you play ONLY 1 char or try ONLY 1 char to rank up and dress up to cap. We arent all You. We try to rank up and fdrss up to cap 8 or 12 chars.

Edited by Kissakias