[GTN Inflation Fix] Suggestion: Limit Reselling Items

JessIsGaming

First off: Thanks for a great game! I'm a programmer. I know how hard it is to keep programs stable. I think you all are doing a great job!

I've noticed I'll put an item up on the GTN for sale for what I feel is a reasonable amount, only to see player B come along, buy the item out, then resell it for 3x or 4x as much as I was selling it for. I'm able to tell who bought it by the in game email stating who bought the item.

This allows artificial inflation, which hurts all players.

Since each item character Bubba makes is marked "Made by Bubba", a block to reselling an item made by a character outside of a legacy should be possible.

Such a reselling block would eliminate artificial inflation on the GTN for crafted items. This would support healthy competition on the GTN, and would thereby lower prices.

Cartel items would not be covered by this.

First off: Thanks for a great game! I'm a programmer. I know how hard it is to keep programs stable. I think you all are doing a great job!

I'm a programmer, too, and I've been one for more than thirty years. It's trivially simple to keep a program stable - don't modify it.

As for whether they're doing a great job, that's subject to some debate, and there are aspects of the evolution of SWTOR that ... worry me, let's say.

I've noticed I'll put an item up on the GTN for sale for what I feel is a reasonable amount, only to see player B come along, buy the item out, then resell it for 3x or 4x as much as I was selling it for. I'm able to tell who bought it by the in game email stating who bought the item.

That mail isn't 100% reliable - occasionally you'll get one that says that someone bought your item, without saying who bought something, nor what that person bought, nor the price.

Arguably, *you* were causing artificial *deflation*, which isn't good for the economy either.

Since each item character Bubba makes is marked "Made by Bubba", a block to reselling an item made by a character outside of a legacy should be possible.

True.

Such a reselling block would eliminate artificial inflation on the GTN for crafted items. This would support healthy competition on the GTN, and would thereby lower prices.

Unfortunately, the primary target of complaints isn't *crafted* items, but CM items, and the prices are hugely out of sight.

That mail isn't 100% reliable - occasionally you'll get one that says that someone bought your item, without saying who bought something, nor what that person bought, nor the price.

I've seen some emails like this as well. The point being the system tracks who is making crafted items.

Arguably, *you* were causing artificial *deflation*, which isn't good for the economy either.

Is competition artificial deflation? The only folks the "artificial" deflation hurts are the folks who are benefiting by artificial inflation. The in game purchaser is helped.

Unfortunately, the primary target of complaints isn't *crafted* items, but CM items, and the prices are hugely out of sight.

The CM items aren't necessary for the game. Perhaps there are two inflation trends to address? Newer players complain about prices for items they need from the GTN, which hurts the game in the long run by discouraging new players.

Edited by JessIsGaming

i think it will tell after 1 hour when you can pickout the credits you have earn from it maybe its longer.

since i look now on my char that has sold a item on the GTN from 4 hours ago and it tells the player name that has buy it so that part you have wrong maybe.

the main point i see from this thread is that limit reselling is not going to help with the problem.

if you cant resell it any more on the GTN there going to shout it on the fleet trade channel more and then the spams from poeple that are selling stuff on the chat is going become worse and thats why there is a GTN option to have less sell or buy shouts on the chat.

and reselling stuff has become a normal thing more in any MMORPG's that have a Actionhouse system more its not only this game that has people that resell stuff and buy some items out and drive the price up.

the main point i see from this thread is that limit reselling is not going to help with the problem.

if you cant resell it any more on the GTN there going to shout it on the fleet trade channel more and then the spams from poeple that are selling stuff on the chat is going become worse and thats why there is a GTN option to have less sell or buy shouts on the chat.

That doesn't make sense to me. If they are shouting out selling something craftable they got from the GTN, people will know they are marking the price up, or trying to sell it for more than the GTN allows. If they are using the trade channel, people can just block it.

This will keep the prices from craftable items reasonable by forcing fair competition, which will stabilize the prices of crafted items.

Edited by JessIsGaming

That doesn't make sense to me. If they are shouting out selling something craftable they got from the GTN, people will know they are marking the price up, or trying to sell it for more than the GTN allows. If they are using the trade channel, people can just block it.

This will keep the prices from craftable items reasonable by forcing fair competition, which will stabilize the prices of crafted items.

let me tell it this way then.

if there buy all the craft items from one player and shout it on the trade channel on the fleet for selling it.

how can other players then know he is reselling it?

since he can use one off his toons to craft then and sell it on a other char.

only you know he is reselling it the other players are not knowing it since he can craft it on his own with a other toon.

and reselling items is normal.

a lot off people resell other players items.

take craft materials if somebody sells then so cheap then i buy it and resell it for the normal GTN price there are selling for and make some profit from it.

then its that guy mistake to sell it so cheap and not look first what the GTN price is for it.

Players will find a way over or around any block you can imagine. They've been finding the least line of resistance since day 1. I've 5 SWTOR accounts. I only sell items on one of them, but if I engaged all five, good luck limiting me.

And as Steve says, it's not the crafting items driving the majority of the inflation. It's the CM items.

Plus the overprinting of currency in general, which is being addressed a bit in 7.0

Edited by xordevoreaux

It's honestly TOO bad they couldn't add a TIMER on GTN purchases, it start the TIMER (7-10 days) on items based on when it's taken out of MAIL based on being SOLD, not taken down and not selling! This would also limit ability to TRADE item to another player, at least till the TIMER ran out! Items would need to ensure they could be placed in Legacy Bank, Cargo Hold, or Inventory with the Legacy Binding however--sometimes this doesn't work in Legacy Bank!

By doing this it means people have to take some RISK/REWARD before they could turn around and RESALE something at a great markup. It wouldn't prevent people from trading an item, and then RESELLING it. But it would drastically LIMIT the proliferation of the PROBLEM at the CORE of your Argument! I mean people who buy things at a good or FAIR price, to only then turn around and RESELL immediately shouldn't be REWARDED right away!

I think the OP has a reasonable idea in title of thread, why I made the suggestion below:

"▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

♦ GTN SOLD items, should having a Legacy Timer (made to wait at least 7-10 Days) perhaps 1-3 at least.

♦ GTN UNSOLD items would not have that binding.

♦ Need to ensure TIMER items could be placed in Legacy Bank, Cargo Hold, or Inventory till removed.

♦ So buyers could USE item right away, but not RESALE/TRADE till TIMER is expired!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬"

Still I agree it's not a Crime to buy low, and sell high, as you say! Still they should wait 1-3 days? Or at least 1-2? Especially if they are going to profit a lot? YES!

Perhaps they should add a 2nd lower (TAB) to expand Legacy Bank, and Cargo Hold from 7 to 14 rows, yet those also cost a lot of credits. Would this hurt some GUILDs, don't think just have to Store Items till 1-10 days (based on what they thought was fair) yet could also have 1-7 new Legacy Bank & Cargo Hold (Second Row) of TABs.

I think this is an excellent suggestion UPVOTED! Also 10x better than all the CREDIT SINK Bioware / EA have done in the past combined!

Players will find a way over or around any block you can imagine. They've been finding the least line of resistance since day 1. I've 5 SWTOR accounts. I only sell items on one of them, but if I engaged all five, good luck limiting me.

And as Steve says, it's not the crafting items driving the majority of the inflation. It's the CM items.

Plus the overprinting of currency in general, which is being addressed a bit in 7.0

Still I THINK the PERSON here (OP) was actually trying to be HELPFUL! Why I tried to present an Idea to solve this unnecessary Inflation Problem that is encouraged; rather than discouraged! Maybe 10 days is too long, yet BioWare / EA could could start at 5-7 days, or maybe later reduce down to 1-3 depending how effective it was.

A single person with 5 SWTOR accounts though, really? :o

Edited by Strathkin

Still I THINK the PERSON here (OP) was actually trying to be HELPFUL!

Never said the person wasn't trying to be helpful, just that the idea was untenable and unworkable. So is any idea that ignores the basic fundamentals of capitalism and the strength of profit motive in player behavior, both of which are writ large on the activity seen on the GTN.

Buying low, selling high, is not a crime, and in addition to pricing cartel market items for any amount they choose because there's plenty of currency in the game for people to pay those prices, means any artificial pressure put on the market—through any means—won't last.

During the Soviet era, people fortunate enough to get their hands on U.S. dollars—which had to be done by clandestine means, i.e., a black market for those dollars, or deutsche marks, or other solid currencies of the day, with true buying power—kept much of that backward economy running. Psst! Hey mister, you can't get U.S. dollars at the local bank in downtown Moscow, but slide me 400% of your weekly salary and here's a $20 bill.

Capitalistic instincts will always overcome snazzy programming, no matter how much of a totalitarian command economy people would want to impose.

As people have mentioned in multiple threads, if programming makes buying and selling on the GTN an arduous, tedious, and untenable task, organic black markets will spring up completely beyond the reach of those artificial controls, everything from simple amateurs putting out messages in gen chat on fleet to using full-blown auction houses on private Discords.

Players will find a way.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Buying low, selling high, is not a crime, and in addition to pricing cartel market items for any amount they choose because there's plenty of currency in the game for people to pay those prices, means any artificial pressure put on the market—through any means—won't last...

As people have mentioned in multiple threads, if programming makes buying and selling on the GTN an arduous, tedious, and untenable task, organic black markets will spring up completely beyond the reach of those artificial controls, everything from simple amateurs putting out messages in gen chat on fleet to using full-blown auction houses on private Discords.

Players will find a way.

I think the OP has a reasonable idea in title of thread, why I made the suggestion below:

♦ GTN SOLD items, should having a Legacy Timer (made to wait at least 7-10 Days) perhaps 1-3 at least.

♦ Need to ensure TIMER items could be placed in Legacy Bank, Cargo Hold, or Inventory till removed.

♦ So buyers could USE item right away, but not RESALE/TRADE till TIMER is expired!

Still I agree it's not a Crime to buy low, and sell high, as you say! Still they should wait 1-3 days? Or at least 1-2? Especially if they are going to profit a lot? YES!

...the goal here is encouraging those who buy with COINs, so no limitation placed on them. That by no means is unfair! Those who buy with credits & then to only turn around and sell have a singular GOAL, and is not a genuine interest in the Item itself. So those who buy items with COINs should likely have an advantage! Just require some people to be more patient, when buying & only to list it up again right away.

:cool:

Unlike those who buy cheap off GTN or via TRADE, to only instantly turn around and sell for a bit profit. It also would NOT effect anyone who using COINs to buy Items; so would be balanced by those who only RESELL.

Edited by Strathkin

♦ GTN items, should having a Legacy Timer (made to wait at least 7-10 Days) at least.

Let's talk supply pipelines.

For this example, the GTN delay is 4 full days between when you buy and when you sell:

Day 1, I buy X_1

Day 2, I buy X_2

Day 3, I buy X_3

Day 4, I buy X_4

Now day 5, the timer has dropped off X_1. I can now sell X_1.

Day 6, I can sell X_2.

Day 7, I can sell X_3, and so on.

It's not like the player is denied through such a delay to sell anything at all, just items still possessing timers for having been recently purchased.

So, once a constant, solid pipeline of purchases is established, all you've done—ALL you've done—is delay the total set of goods in the pipeline by seven days (or however long). There's still stuff coming out of it every day ready to be bought.

Such a delay means nothing at that point.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Yea and while TRUE.

People have to delay their purchases so they only make so many, they'd also have to wait 3-10 days before reselling. Of course that binding TIMER only occurs on items listed and SOLD on the GTN.

The RISK/REWARD thing still equally applies, as now they'd still have to wait a SET # of days before reselling in which time the price may have gone UP or down.

Yea and while TRUE.

People have to delay their purchases so they only make so many, they'd also have to wait 3-10 days before reselling. Of course that binding TIMER only occurs on items listed and SOLD on the GTN.

The RISK/REWARD thing still equally applies, as now they'd still have to wait a SET # of days before reselling in which time the price may have gone UP or down.

Think of it more like a 7-day start-up timeframe for a constant outflow of things to sell. That's all the delay accomplishes. Once that 7th day hits, everything that day and every day after means a solid stream of sales.

I can buy 10,000 of a single crafting material day 1 and put it on the GTN for it's 7-day delay, then day 2 buy another 10,000, so by day 8, and every day thereafter, boom. A fire hose of product flooding the market. At that point, the 7-day window means nothing, because every day, I'm buying up more, adding it to the pipeline, and every day, I'm seeing 7-day old queued stuff sell.

You've accomplished nothing with that technique but a one-time 7-day delay. That's about as clearly as I can explain it.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Still I believe it be a good idea for them to consider for multiple reasons!

So I'd stand behind this: I think the OP has a reasonable idea in title of thread, why I made the suggestion below:

Edited by Strathkin

So I'd stand behind this: I think the OP has a reasonable idea in title of thread, why I made the suggestion below:

You're dead wrong how that would improve matters, but I've said what the effects would be the best that I can say it, so I'm done. Spout what you want, repeat it however many times you want, but doing so won't make the proposal any more viable of a solution.

Edited by xordevoreaux

this idea is never going to work it will only get more players become mad since there not wane wait few day's before there can resell something again.

and the other thing is DEVELOPERS most stay out of this type of problems in there game's since if there going to mass with it its only become worse in the end and we have seen it in the past when there have mass with other things how worse things have become in the end then it was before since there have mass with it.

and there are still doing it with the 7.0 expension to mass with the wrong things and its going become worse for the wrong people again like it has been always more.

this idea you have is not going to work since in the end you only delay it with 3 day's and its still happing.

so your idea is more delay it and fix it when the main problem is the cartel market items what steve has told all that craft items are not the curse of the problem but its the cartel market items and thats something the developers not going mass with so your idea is not going to make it.

Perhaps same person with one of their 5 accounts, can't say, or coincidence both accounts same Avatar. :eek:

I guess, Bioware / EA reviews / evaluates it. Bioware / EA, they could also search people who regularly buy things at one cost and then resale items over 20-50% more, or even 2-5x more than they paid! They could also only apply, the bindings on those who regularly RESALE (BUY/SELL) items at large markups as well! Then they wouldn't penalize those who buy to use or distribute to Guild as Prizes. :)

As I said, I soften my original claim quiet a bit, down from 7-10 days down to 1-3! Mostly as it slow people from donating items to Guild, most of which tell users to not post for resale on GTN as well.

I've said all I'm going to though... ...not upset at those who disagree though, just trying to support the OP here.

Edited by Strathkin

Perhaps same person with one of their 5 accounts, can't say, or coincidence both accounts same Avatar. :eek:.

sadly not and also lucky not since the most time's you can call it 99.9% off the discusions we both have with each other on the forums we both disagree with each other.

its only the 00,1 we both agree on the same point with each other so yea.

back to the topic.

I guess, Bioware / EA reviews / evaluates it. As I said, I soften my original claim quiet a bit, down from 7-10 days down to 1-3! It also should effect people who use the items themself right away. I've said all I'm going to though...

but still you are delaying the problem with a day or 3 only so the idea you have is only delay the problem when its not a real fix.

and since its not broken like what bioware is doing with the credits you get from conquest's and completing missions is only make it worse with it since there chance something what not the problem is.