Level multiple combat styles

BjCordes

This may have already been suggested but I cant help think about the new changes coming soon and how they could have been changed or still could even implement a way for characters to unlock multiple combat styles instead of just 2. Like I’m excited to have another one but it’s just given out of the blue with no work behind it. A system I keep thinking would be great in this game is allowing you characters to change any combat style they want (respecting the force/tech) and having to level up those combat styles. So my lvl 80 inquisitor stays assassin naturally but say I want to try something new I select off assassin and select marauder. When I select it changes my character to level 1 and I can level that skill up separately. I feel like my inquisitor has mastered being an assassin and as of now with the patch coming I can just simply switch to a completely different combat style and be a master at that without any training etc? This system I am suggesting is a lot like final fantasy with weapons changing your class. This change could still be implemented even after 7.0 since we all know nothing is changing. I think you’d have a lot of players start playing more to level up all their combat styles which would be healthy for the game. Could include lots of cartel items to either instant boost a combat style, unlock extra styles for non subscribers. I feel this system also respects lore as Jedi/sith switch between different combat styles all the time. Yoda being a master at lightsaber combat but can switch to force user but it’s because he trained in both. Same with our characters they can’t be both at same time but if they wanted to they could learn through time a new style.

Having to level up the other style(s) wouldn't be good, because suddenly we'd have to go back to low level planets, forcibly swap down gear (because it would be "Requires level XXX" and we would be only level 1), and so on.

Having more than one extra style (i.e. more than two in total) is something they hinted at as a future possibility.

Having to level up the other style(s) wouldn't be good, because suddenly we'd have to go back to low level planets, forcibly swap down gear (because it would be "Requires level XXX" and we would be only level 1), and so on.

Having more than one extra style (i.e. more than two in total) is something they hinted at as a future possibility.

The way around it would be like the game I played back in 1989, played it for years, actually, called Gemstone III by Simutronics. You had a main class (I was a warlock), and then I had 2 minor classes attached to that.

Every level, I'd be granted not only leveling points to apply to my main skill (warlock), but 3 points that I could then assign to either of my minor skills. I had to pick which of the two minor skills I wanted to invest those points, meaning one of the skills would always be at least 1 level weaker than the other, and the two minor abilities maxed out at a level far below my main skill as a warlock.

With that point-assigning technique, I never had to traipse back to lowbie areas, killing level 2 roltons (sheep) outside the city gates to level up those minor abilities, just level my warlock, assign the points, and move on.