Games to play if 7.0 fails hard?

TheVoyant

Title says it all, with a majority beyond frustrated with the direction of 7.0 a lot of us have one foot out the door. What games have you tried to fill the void that will be left?

My community has been getting down on Division 2 (huge optimism for their SW game), tried FFXIV (does a lot of things better, initial story is not one of them), and adamantly awaiting release of Lost Ark.

What other suggestions or target games does every one have and why. Games that have the borderline action feel 6.0 has that 7.0 is taking away would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by TheVoyant

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started playing Star Trek Fleet Command, even bought a couple of the items. It's a fun, and different. Community is mostly great, the support is excellent. BUT it is a P2W game, people who complain about this would burn out there...lol. If you want to play casual, and just level up slowly, enjoying the game, you can do it easily enough, but to keep up with the whalers, you'll need a waling ship...lol.

I played FF15, it's a bit slow, and takes ages to get anywhere, if it had a free option, I'd play it more to get to the point where it's exciting, and then sub, but as it is, I just couldn't be bothered subbing again.

STO is fun enough, but gets complicated, and boring, people have complained about this game being repetitive, STO is much worse.

ESO was boring, possibly because I was expecting it to be like Skyrim, but it wasn't.

Guild wars 2 is more fun when playing with people (IMO) but didn't have of a pull to keep my going

Neverwinter knights, the same, as was

LoTR.

SWTOR does have it's issues, but it's the only game I've played, that has constantly keep me paying a sub. At the moment, the pull isn't as strong as it was, will have to wait till 7 to see if it finally snaps...lol

Would be interested in hearing about other games though :)

Edited by DarkTergon

And I'd like to point out that people posed much the same question before 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0, so this thread is just more "oh noes, game is dying" nonsense.

True, but at this point the most populous remaining server isn't much more populated than my original home server was right before it got consolidated out of existence.

It may be a slow wasting disease, but being down to something like what, 10% of your original healthy body mass, isn't good.

For myself, well there's the in-progress non-EA Star Wars MMO is a possibility, Baldur's gate III is a maybe, Blizzard is unpopular now for a host of reasons, but I did like Burning Crusade, so a Burning Crusade Classic sub is a very slim possibility, or I might just ditch MMORPGs and spend some time on really learning some aircraft in DCS World and maybe working on stage times and learning how to do a proper Scandinavian flick in Dirt Rally 2.

I can also just go preferred. I have a large stockpile of CCs, all my alts have pretty much all I want in the way of outfits, so really all I have to do is battle my altaholism to the point where I'm able to settle on just two GSF alts and I'll be good.

wait, what?

links or info plz?

Info is not much other than that Disney green lit it, that Massive (Ubisoft subsidiary) is the studio working on it, and that it will use the Snowdrop engine https://www.ubisoft.com/snowdrop/games/the-star-wars-project.

One can only hope that it turns out decent rather than another Star Wars vaporware failure. I mean, unless you work on SWTOR and want to keep that job, in which case you really, really, really hope it turns out to be another Star Wars vaporware failure. Or that "open world Star Wars story driven adventure," turns out to be nothing like a classic MMORPG and that there's little crossover appeal to SWTOR players.

Probably still a year or two out at least, and looking at how aggressive the game systems changes slated for 7.0 are Bioware is keenly aware that it's out there. I suppose it's like being a late Cretaceous dinosaur with a Ph.D. in Astronomy, a decent radar telescope, and growing dread that your triple checked calculations don't appear to have any errors in them.

Info is not much other than that Disney green lit it, that Massive (Ubisoft subsidiary) is the studio working on it, and that it will use the Snowdrop engine https://www.ubisoft.com/snowdrop/games/the-star-wars-project.

One can only hope that it turns out decent rather than another Star Wars vaporware failure. I mean, unless you work on SWTOR and want to keep that job, in which case you really, really, really hope it turns out to be another Star Wars vaporware failure. Or that "open world Star Wars story driven adventure," turns out to be nothing like a classic MMORPG and that there's little crossover appeal to SWTOR players.

Probably still a year or two out at least, and looking at how aggressive the game systems changes slated for 7.0 are Bioware is keenly aware that it's out there. I suppose it's like being a late Cretaceous dinosaur with a Ph.D. in Astronomy, a decent radar telescope, and growing dread that your triple checked calculations don't appear to have any errors in them.

ahhh okay , yeah i remember hearing about that before BUT i was under the impression it wasn't a true MMORPG and rather was just another single-player game (like 'Skyrim' meets STAR WARS ) .

I guess i'm in for disappointment either way, since i'm still wishing for SWG-2 :(

I tend to drift from MMOs if this one is going through one of its phases, usually returning to some first person shooters and RPGs. I do owe Dragon Age Inquisition (I know) and a few Pokemon games another playthrough for completion reasons.

Still enjoying Crusader Kings 3 and M&B Bannerlord, which I am hoping receive Star War-like mods eventually.

Might start FFXV finally if the fans I run into in the wild stop acting like online Jehovah Witnesses (no offense!), but no rush there as I've not been too impressed by what I have seen.

A friend wants to buy New World for me to try and ESO is always there for me to go back to if I am feeling an RP itch, but it just is not Star Wars..

And I'd like to point out that people posed much the same question before 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0, so this thread is just more "oh noes, game is dying" nonsense.

I don't think it's going to die, but based on everything they've announced so far, my engagement will be significantly lower.

Star Wars RPG by Massive Entertainment isn't until after 2023. (The makers of Division 2 are making it)

I've owned GTA V for years but only installed October 2021 and played it just enough to qualify for GTA Online rewards given by Amazon Prime Gaming. I'm probably going to play some GTA Online after 7.0 fails

When 6.0 dropped (October 2019) and failed to wow me, I quit the game and only came back February 2021. It's November now, I got Limitless and Everybody Knows My Name. I've finished everything I care to do in 6.0.

If I don't play GTA Online, I'll probably end up on my usual round of World War 2 video games. Things like Company of Heroes, Hell Let Loose, Day of Defeat, but sadly Day of Infamy 32 player servers died out while I've been playing swtor, so that won't be an option. I'll miss the 16 versus 16 battles in Day of Infamy, I was too busy playing SWTOR to help populate the DOI servers to keep that game going.

Edited by Falensawino

The player population will react to 7.0 the same way they have with every other release:

The people who permanently quit.

The people who scream bloody murder and threaten to quit and then come back.

The people who start playing Bejeweled 3 instead of cranking out another Hammer Station for the day.

The people who tough it out.

The new players who have no idea what the hell anyone's complaining about.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Title says it all, with a majority beyond frustrated with the direction of 7.0 a lot of us have one foot out the door. What games have you tried to fill the void that will be left?

I have hundreds of games on Steam alone waiting to be played.

On my "to play" list since the 80s is "Police Quest". Back then it was impossible to finish successfully. Now I have a walkthrough. It is time. ;)

My community has been getting down on Division 2 (huge optimism for their SW game), tried FFXIV (does a lot of things better, initial story is not one of them), and adamantly awaiting release of Lost Ark.

What other suggestions or target games does every one have and why. Games that have the borderline action feel 6.0 has that 7.0 is taking away would be greatly appreciated!

Darkest Dungeon II is phenomenal so far, and it's i n early access.

I have hundreds of games on Steam alone waiting to be played.

On my "to play" list since the 80s is "Police Quest". Back then it was impossible to finish successfully. Now I have a walkthrough. It is time. ;)

At least they're now available for free online. I remember the old days before that, when games had help lines that you called if you got stuck...

Um, yeah. If you went by the forum posts before 6.0 was released, nobody could upgrade their armor and the game should already be dead. 🤔

😂

I'll continue to play SWTOR for the story and GSF. There are a few things they can do to inspire me to renew my subscription. Remove level-scaling, putting a character of mine in the game, showing up at my door to give me a hug..

I also play World of Warcraft, though it is a title I don't tend to stick around with for long. We'll see where it goes months from now, and how I plan on approaching it then, if at all.

tried FFXIV (does a lot of things better, initial story is not one of them)

I played FF15, it's a bit slow, and takes ages to get anywhere, if it had a free option, I'd play it more to get to the point where it's exciting, and then sub, but as it is, I just couldn't be bothered subbing again.

I'm struggling to get through the initial story for Final Fantasy 14. I hope it gets better after that, because I've been occasionally frustrated. Not sure if I can persist, but we'll see. I hear people say it's a story-driven MMO, but I'm like, "What the [REDACTED] is everyone talking about?"

---

The Elder Scrolls Online has always been a mediocre game for me. It hardly plays like an Elder Scrolls or even an RPG. I don't even read the quests, because I don't care, though I wish I could. It does great in the Themepark MMO department. It is not perfect, but it is a very play-your-way kind of game. There is nothing that forces engagement; you take from the game exactly what you want. So I am just unlocking dyes; creating, customizing, and gearing up alts; and PvPing. Sounds like SWTOR in a way, but it has a much bigger population.

My community has been getting down on Division 2 (huge optimism for their SW game)

I first experienced The Division titles earlier this year, but the first title is nigh-impossible without a questing partner, so I had to drop it. The second one does better, but also suffers from the "I can't play without no one to play with" problem of the first, except this time it's at endgame. They both require an Internet connection to play, despite you almost never seeing or engaging with other players. They both feel like great games whose potentials have been held back by the multiplayer side of things. If I ever find people who want to play in a group, I'll likely hop back in.

Because of my feeling toward The Division, I do have concerns about the coming Star Wars game.

---

As for single player titles, I am currently playing a thief in Skyrim. I tend to create numerous characters for RPGs to experience the different stories and factions.

I am also playing Warcraft RTS to not only revisit them, but to refresh myself on the lore and the feeling of those games to help me better write my character biographies surrounding the conflicts featured in those titles. Currently on the second title. I have already produced a video and an associated document in tribute to the first, not unlike my SWTOR videos.

I have a whole bunch of others on my radar though. I tend to go through an entire franchise before moving onto another.

I do owe Dragon Age Inquisition (I know) and a few Pokemon games another playthrough for completion reasons.

Taking a break from the Pokemon titles at the moment. Finished Red. Was going to do the other Generation 1 titles, but the repetition would make the experience a little stale, plus I'd like to revisit them in the future again anyhow. Going to do Gold after.

Didn't like the characters in Inquisition and that just about did it for me. I have thought of revisiting the first, and playing it with different characters. Just won't touch the DLC, or any of the sequels. Maybe DA4 will be great, however.

Might start FFXV finally if the fans I run into in the wild stop acting like online Jehovah Witnesses (no offense!), but no rush there as I've not been too impressed by what I have seen.

People are making it out to be some holy grail of MMOs when it is really just like any other with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Really, if not for Activision Blizzard sucking, I likely would have continued to forget about its existence.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

I'm struggling to get through the initial story for Final Fantasy 14. I hope it gets better after that, because I've been occasionally frustrated. Not sure if I can persist, but we'll see. I hear people say it's a story-driven MMO, but I'm like, "What the [REDACTED] is everyone talking about?"

Quoted this portion due to my own experience.

FF14 is a very heavy story driven mmo, probably more so than this game, which ultimately led me to stop playing it. I never thought I would miss the days of grabbing a quest and killing ten of those or ten of something else. Most of the leveling in that game are fetch quests and you reading conversations, while maybe 10-15% is combat. If you're still playing and haven't hit Heavensward yet, it's a very arduous climb to get to that first expansion, notably the 70ish quests you have to go through when you think you're finished with ARR. Overall the game is aesthetically appealing, whether it's their later dungeons or raids, but it's the leveling process that's a turn off for some.

Edited by Pirana

FF14 is a very heavy story driven mmo, probably more so than this game, which ultimately led me to stop playing it. I never thought I would miss the days of grabbing a quest and killing ten of those or ten of something else. Most of the leveling in that game are fetch quests and you reading conversations, while maybe 10-15% is combat. If you're still playing and haven't hit Heavensward yet, it's a very arduous climb to get to that first expansion, notably the 70ish quests you have to go through when you think you're finished with ARR. Overall the game is aesthetically appealing, whether it's their later dungeons or raids, but it's the leveling process that's a turn off for some.

I'm at the tail end of ARR, those 70ish quests you speak of ...I hope. I've gotten this far, I think I am almost there, but these last few are the worst. Apparently, I'm expected to defeat some raid bosses on higher difficulties, one of which is akin pugging a boss from Gods from the Machine on Hard Mode+

I'm going to see if I can complete the associated quests without having to be synchronized so I can actually clear the damn thing.

Thankfully, I went into this game having already heard about the woes of early game, so I haven't been put off by it completely. At least not yet.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

I'm at the tail end of ARR, those 70ish quests you speak of ...I hope. I've gotten this far, I think I am almost there, but these last few are the worst. Apparently, I'm expected to defeat some raid bosses on higher difficulties, one of which is akin pugging a boss from Gods from the Machine on Hard Mode+

I'm going to see if I can complete the associated quests without having to be synchronized so I can actually clear the damn thing.

Thankfully, I went into this game having already heard about the woes of early game, so I haven't been put off by it completely. At least not yet.

You'll know because your xp will drop from around 45k to 5-6k per quest. The 5-6k quests are from the following Seventh Astral Era Quest chain. They're after the two raids near, what appears to be the end of ARR. Those two raids are a piece of cake though, they were tuned way down. About the only way you'll die is if you go afk. I ran through the ARR grind once, switched servers and purchased a story skip for that portion of the game, it was around $11.00 USD at the time, but well worth it for me. This quest chain was actually pruned due to some of the negative feedback, but they were only able to remove so much without it affecting the story. Here's a link to that quest chain: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Seventh_Astral_Era_Quests

The following isn't a knock on the game at all, but if people are interested in this game, do some research on it first, don't dive right in like I did. There's a lot of story, a lot, with very little voice overs. You will be reading what's probably equivalent to a five hundred page novel and there's no way around it other than to purchase skips, it's the MSQ, the main storyline. If some prefer combat over story, this may not be the game for you, if you prefer story over combat, you will probably enjoy the story and the game, notably near the end of ARR and Heavensward. It's a very good story.

Edited by Pirana

Bunch of people are leaving or looking for options. I'm collecting information to suggest to my community to help them fill the void. If it survives and people enjoy it great, not the point of this post.