Issues with logging in

JackieKo

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont know about u, but tried years ago and still in next patch asked to redwonload the whole game and with bitraider coz refused to so otherwise

Once it downloads or updates the launcher, you can go into the file and disable bitraider before downloading the whole game again. Once you’ve done that, you launch it again and it will download the game without Bit Raider,

Of course I’m not sure about this bug.

Once it downloads or updates the launcher, you can go into the file and disable bitraider before downloading the whole game again. Once you’ve done that, you launch it again and it will download the game without Bit Raider,

Of course I’m not sure about this bug.

YES done that, didnt have bitraider for some months, THEN NEW update comes and when the game installed, after the update asked to redownload the whole game again. And all that because i didnt have the bitraider. Was back at win XP tho. dont know about win 7, PLUS download for me is 6-8 hours, so dont risked again.

The frustration with this issue is pretty understandable but I think a number of people here are wildly overreacting.

I do agree that this is highly unfortunate for subscribers who have paid for their play time and will be missing potentially an entire day because of Bioware's mistake. I don't think it's out of line to ask for some small compensation to make up for the issue. But for one, refunding any amount of money to every single person's individual payment method is probably not a simple task, and for what? you pay at most $15 to subscribe for 30 days (less with the longer commitments), what's the value of one missed day? Even being generous, a couple dollars? At that point I think CC makes more sense, but it's still not going to be 2400, which would be worth more than the entire month's sub cost in the first place.

On the other hand, some of the issues here have little to do with Bioware. Again, I agree that this situation is a mess and it's kind of insane that nearly the entire game has to be redownloaded. Having seen this incident play out, I'll probably keep a backup of the game files in the future so that I can just roll my local files back and then patch up the difference when we can safely launch the game again. But I fail to see how Bioware is responsible for anyone having a very slow internet connection (through their provider, not through the launcher's abysmal download speeds, which is a very valid complaint) nor does it make sense to blame Bioware if your internet plan requires you to pay by the GB. That's completely out of their control. You have my sympathies, player to player, but it's still not BW's fault.

They don't have any process around when, and how a patch is moved into production? No control on who can do it, no Change Approval Board or anything?!

What are you basing these assumptions on? The fact that this one patch came out while incomplete or broken?

I work in the Automotive industry. We have change control boards, a half-dozen or more layers of approvals required for any software changes (often going all the way up to requiring director-level approval on a per-change basis), and many layers of validation and safety testing before anything gets released to the public. As you've probably noticed if you own a car, problems still happen once in a while. This is what happens when everyone involved in the process is human. And problems in my industry can have a lot more significant real-world consequences for the customer than just not being able to play a video game for a brief period of time.

It would be nice if Bioware would do something more substantial than just a single apology in a forum post, but I'm not holding my breath. If people take enough issue with their response to unsubscribe, then I think that's fair. But some of the "demands" being made are still a bit silly.

Also can't log in, it just loads forever.

What's WORSE, you .... bleedy broken buggers, is that I JUST NOW finished installing the whole game, then rebooted the PC. I log into the launcher - and it is now DOWNLOADING THE GAME. Which I JUST INSTALLED.

What the HELL is going on with you, NOT BioWare NOT SWTOR Team, WHAT in the name of LUCIFER are you doing?!

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!!!

I had hoped to finish the second GS weekly today so I could do other things tomorrow but 3 hours forced downloading of the entire game kept me from even being able to start it. For probably 20 minutes of that it was actually frozen. Whoever said it would take 20 minutes to download has nothing to complain about.

Some of us actually have jobs. And don't have 3 hours to spare redowloading the game when its not an update. in fact I should be in bed already because I have to be up early for work.

I also dont have days to spend on a FP some people (probably with 306 armor) claim isn't broken when it is.

Did re-re-re-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-downloading it fix it for you?

Currently on 4th.

1st with Bitraider, crashes on boot up

2nd and 3rd with Steam, crashes on boot up

Doing 4th now without bitraider or Steam.

Why do they have to keep screwing their players this bad? No compensation and they don't even bother replying tickets with reports of the situation. Why not just roll back the minor change? I don't get it.

I had left the game running overnight. It is running OK. But this has got to take the cake. They don't have any process around when, and how a patch is moved into production? No control on who can do it, no Change Approval Board or anything?!

I would be very surprised to learn that they have no such process.

On the other hand, any Change Approval Board is composed entirely of humans, and the people responsible for actually *carrying out* the decisions are humans, and humans are far from perfect.

Roll back the patch? That can't be hard? How did it even happen? Earlier today the game was fine.

That's probably what they did. Unfortunately, if the game on my PC already patched itself with the erroneously-deployed patch, there isn't directly a way to unpatch an applied patch.

What they *should* have done was apply a second patch that restores the original versions of all the patched content, and a small "empty" server patch to make sure the server version number and client version number were in sync.

I won't win any popularity contests posting this, but for those of you affected, consider that this will not be the last time this ever happens for the rest of the game's existence.

Strongly consider completely deleting the game, running a registry cleaner, and then installing the game using Steam.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Strongly consider completely deleting the game, running a registry cleaner, and then installing the game using Steam.

Thanks, but I went to reddit and checked their no-bitraider-ever method instead.

Edited by Kulyok

Not everyone can use Steam or wants to. So that’s not an option for some of us.

I can’t use steam because it doesn’t support WTFast gaming VPN anymore. And I can’t play swtor without WTFast to lower my ping and stabilise it. So that completely rules out using it.

For the record, I did try using it when they released on steam last year. That’s when I found out steam no longer supports the use of WTFast and possibly not other VPN’s either (at least not officially). I tried to get WTFast to work and in the end I had to uninstall and do a clean reinstall of swtor loader without bitraider or steam.

I can understand why some people are pissed. Luckily I haven’t logged in since late last night.

Hi Jackie, Has this now been fixed? Is it safe for me to log in yet without triggering a reinstall?

The last time I heard, steam also doesn't support multiple accounts. Not sure if it's changed or not, but that's why I'm not using steam.

How about the person responsible for this just comes forward and apologises to all the players? You needn't fire them or fine them, just let them come out and say "I'm sorry you couldn't play SWTOR for hours, I'm responsible, please, accept my apologies". As a long-term player and a subscriber, I'd appreciate that.

The last time I heard, steam also doesn't support multiple accounts. Not sure if it's changed or not, but that's why I'm not using steam.

I have 5 SWTOR accounts. When switching between accounts, you have two choices:

1. Log out of steam and re-log into the next account and re-launch the game (what I do)

2. Unlink steam from all accounts so you can switch freely (but then you per-account achievements don't track)

How about the person responsible for this just comes forward and apologises to all the players?

That might be a decent thing to do and a nice warm fuzzy for those affected, but doesn't do squat to solve the underlying problem, and someone voluntarily making themselves the target of people's on-going ire isn't exactly the way to retain experienced programmers. For those who cannot or will not move to using Steam, expect this fiasco in the future.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I would be very surprised to learn that they have no such process.

On the other hand, any Change Approval Board is composed entirely of humans, and the people responsible for actually *carrying out* the decisions are humans, and humans are far from perfect.

Unfortunately, it happens.

I designed, built, and maintained a database that 25 employees used at a company that I worked for in 2011 that tracked and updated, on an hourly basis, the in and out time card punches of 85,000 contractors from New York to Guam.

There were two other people who had oversight as to the accuracy and functionality of the database, but my fingers were the only ones on the keyboard building and deploying it, and I released front-end patches for those 25 employees who used it whenever I optimized something or incorporated a new feature request.

Guess the chaos that ensued every time I screwed up the deployment and the mea culpa that I had to write not only to those 25 employees but to the vice president of my operational unit.

Guess which 25 employees would have had their head handed to them by my vice president if they excoriated me for screwing up.

Edited by xordevoreaux

After that wierd patch i just can't play the game, i run Ultima Online trace to check things out ... after i redownloaded the game 4 times :o i really don't know what is going on, some help would be real nice

Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst

ARCHER_C5 192.168.0.1 1 2ms 2ms 0% 102 / 102 2ms / 5ms

* Unknown Host * 100.96.160.1 2 5ms 5ms 0% 102 / 102 3ms / 7ms

* Unknown Host * 100.64.20.29 3 6ms 100% 0 / 102

* Unknown Host * 172.16.128.153 4 9ms 8ms 0% 102 / 102 5ms / 11ms

* Unknown Host * 172.16.132.225 5 7ms 8ms 0% 102 / 102 6ms / 11ms

* Unknown Host * 172.16.132.245 6 15ms 14ms 0% 102 / 102 12ms / 17ms

* Unknown Host * 172.16.128.17 7 16ms 15ms 0% 102 / 102 12ms / 17ms

* Unknown Host * 138.204.238.149 8 110ms 111ms 0% 102 / 102 109ms / 127ms

globenet.rio.br.as52320.net 200.16.69.45 9 149ms 148ms 0% 102 / 102 144ms / 164ms

* Unknown Host * 8.243.152.73 10 61ms 59ms 0% 102 / 102 56ms / 71ms

* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 11 0ms

* Unknown Host * 4.79.23.202 12 151ms 100% 0 / 101

* Unknown Host * 159.153.92.10 13 154ms 151ms 9% 91 / 101 144ms / 154ms

* Unknown Host * 159.153.92.78 14 147ms 147ms 11% 89 / 101 139ms / 173ms

easo.ea.com 159.153.64.173 15 158ms 157ms 7% 93 / 101 149ms / 160ms