Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can We Make CM Crystals Bind to Legacy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can We Make CM Crystals Bind to Legacy?

foxmob
04.19.2021 , 11:30 AM | #11
ah. I didn't realize those straited black crystals were in collections already.

It also helped when I realized I could filter out all the stuff I don't already have unlocked in collections! (derp)
Krack

robertthebard
04.19.2021 , 12:50 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
ah. I didn't realize those straited black crystals were in collections already.

It also helped when I realized I could filter out all the stuff I don't already have unlocked in collections! (derp)
That last realization will be a big help going forward. I know I was glad to find it when I did.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Char_Ell
04.19.2021 , 06:14 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
So...I just switched out master crystals with crit. And the set in my bank happened to be yellow/orange CM crystals. I put in my guns. play a few matches. Then I put all the gear in the legacy bank to play on another toon and WHAM! gun won't go into bank b/c the CM crystal is bound to character.

I mean...really here. this is ridiculously petty. I don't even give a **** about CM gear. I need a crit crystal, and I don't have any lying around that aren't CM. why are we doing this? do we really have to remove and replace crystals every time we pass guns now that EVERY thing is legacy. this feel ridculously petty and, more important (to me) TIME CONSUMING and a reason NOT to use or buy CM crystals.
I'm kind of surprised none of the veteran posters explained the history with this and why the answer to your question "Can CM Crystals be switched to Bind-to-Legacy?" is a likely no.

Some years ago, well before 6.0 made BtL the rule for all top level gear, players were able to take a CM crystal, put it in a bind-to-legacy weapon or offhand, place it in their legacy bank or mail it to an alt, and then pull the crystal out and that crystal would then be unlocked for that alt to claim from collections as many times as that alt wanted. Rinse and repeat as many times for as many crystals as you wanted on as many alts as you wanted and it only cost the alt the credits to remove the crystal, no cartel coins. That behavior was possible for quite a while until BioWare decided to do something about it with patch 5.3 in 2017 July. Since that time items with CM crystals in them have not been able to be placed in legacy bank or sent via in-game mail to to other characters. As others have already stated, you need to pay cartel coins to unlock a crystal for account-wide use.
Quote:
"RP'ing is super important, right? As a Star Wars game, people being able to immerse themselves in that world is very, very important. But having an instance or a server type dedicated to that doesn't necessarily like enforce a ruleset of you having to RP there. So what we felt was more important was making sure that we can build toolsets for RP'ers, things like being able to make your own chat channels and work within those chat channels and things like that. So know that it's very important to us that RP'ers have the tools they need to roleplay but we didn't feel that actually separating an instance type just for it was necessarily the right solution. So you're not at all forgotten. We definitely want to make sure that RP'ers are accounted for in those changes that we made."
Eric Musco, 2016 April 5 SWTOR Producer Livestream
https://www.twitch.tv/swtor/v/58826060 - time reference 13:22 - 13:57

robertthebard
04.19.2021 , 06:54 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Char_Ell View Post
I'm kind of surprised none of the veteran posters explained the history with this and why the answer to your question "Can CM Crystals be switched to Bind-to-Legacy?" is a likely no.

Some years ago, well before 6.0 made BtL the rule for all top level gear, players were able to take a CM crystal, put it in a bind-to-legacy weapon or offhand, place it in their legacy bank or mail it to an alt, and then pull the crystal out and that crystal would then be unlocked for that alt to claim from collections as many times as that alt wanted. Rinse and repeat as many times for as many crystals as you wanted on as many alts as you wanted and it only cost the alt the credits to remove the crystal, no cartel coins. That behavior was possible for quite a while until BioWare decided to do something about it with patch 5.3 in 2017 July. Since that time items with CM crystals in them have not been able to be placed in legacy bank or sent via in-game mail to to other characters. As others have already stated, you need to pay cartel coins to unlock a crystal for account-wide use.
Except that the answer is actually yes? Because once they're bound, there is a one time "fee" to unlock it for your legacy. Which was actually pointed out, a few times, on the first page, once by me. No, we didn't go into great detail, we just outlined the process through which it can be done. As we can see by the post a couple of posts up from your own, the OP found the crystals in their collection. If one has a security key, along with a sub, and they're posting on the forums, so likely subbed, they'll get more than enough coins from just those to do that, w/out having to touch their wallet again.

An individual piece of the Covert Armor set cost me 60 coins to unlock just last weekend. That's less than what I get for my security key. As I said in my first post, sign me up. I'll be more than happy to pay that fee once, and collect that item as many times as I like for free. We're supposed to get 500 coins a month for our subs too, so lots of sources for coins to use to unlock items in our collections.
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

cyrusramsey
04.20.2021 , 01:36 AM | #15
Wasn't it shortly after the introduction of Tunings that they put a stop to transfering items via legacy-bound shells? That's how I remember it, as BW trying to protect their new shiny from being copied for credits. I seem to recall that originally you couldn't place the shells with CM items in legacy bay regardless of their status, and they changed it to allow it when they were collection-unlocked after the uproar that it caused.

I was reminded of that when spotting crafted crystals in all my legacy offhands, even though I collection-unlocked all my CM crystals.

So yeah.. there is a way to make them 'legacy friendly', and that way is the end result of a bunch of fuss that we've had to go through, so a change in the opposite direction seems unlikely.

Char_Ell
04.20.2021 , 07:02 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Except that the answer is actually yes? Because once they're bound, there is a one time "fee" to unlock it for your legacy. Which was actually pointed out, a few times, on the first page, once by me. No, we didn't go into great detail, we just outlined the process through which it can be done. As we can see by the post a couple of posts up from your own, the OP found the crystals in their collection. If one has a security key, along with a sub, and they're posting on the forums, so likely subbed, they'll get more than enough coins from just those to do that, w/out having to touch their wallet again.
I suppose the full answer to the OP's question is yes, BioWare could make CM crystals bind-to-legacy but no, BioWare is highly unlikely to make CM crystals bind-to-legacy. Have you ever seen a CM crystal that was bind-to-legacy? As far as I know the answer to that question is no, there are no CM crystals that are bind-to-legacy. The only BtL crystals I can think of off the top of my head are the ones that can be purchased from Eternal Championship vendor but of course those are not Cartel Market crystals.

If the OP's issue was resolved because OP was guided to collections and the unlock process then that is great and job well done to those who helped educate.
Quote:
"RP'ing is super important, right? As a Star Wars game, people being able to immerse themselves in that world is very, very important. But having an instance or a server type dedicated to that doesn't necessarily like enforce a ruleset of you having to RP there. So what we felt was more important was making sure that we can build toolsets for RP'ers, things like being able to make your own chat channels and work within those chat channels and things like that. So know that it's very important to us that RP'ers have the tools they need to roleplay but we didn't feel that actually separating an instance type just for it was necessarily the right solution. So you're not at all forgotten. We definitely want to make sure that RP'ers are accounted for in those changes that we made."

cyrusramsey
04.20.2021 , 07:13 AM | #17
I suppose the full answer to the OP's question is yes, BioWare could make CM crystals bind-to-legacy but no, BioWare is highly unlikely to make CM crystals bind-to-legacy. Have you ever seen a CM crystal that was bind-to-legacy? As far as I know the answer to that question is no, there are no CM crystals that are bind-to-legacy. The only BtL crystals I can think of off the top of my head are the ones that can be purchased from Eternal Championship vendor but of course those are not Cartel Market crystals.

If the OP's issue was resolved because OP was guided to collections and the unlock process then that is great and job well done to those who helped educate.
The resolve was that unlocking the crystals in collections allows shells with the crystals inside to be placed inside a legacy bay. That doesn't make the crystals themselves bound to legacy, but when the crystal is inside a legacy-bound shell, that difference becomes irrelevant.

robertthebard
04.20.2021 , 07:21 AM | #18

I have stacks of them that are bound to legacy. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I can claim them from collection at any time I choose, and while they may bind to that character, I can claim them on any other character with the click of a button in my collections. This is, effectively, bound to legacy, since only toons on that legacy can claim them.

Char_Ell
04.20.2021 , 08:31 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I have stacks of them that are bound to legacy. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I can claim them from collection at any time I choose, and while they may bind to that character, I can claim them on any other character with the click of a button in my collections. This is, effectively, bound to legacy, since only toons on that legacy can claim them.
LOL. You're a funny guy trying to change the definition of bind-to-legacy to fit your personal narrative.
Quote:

Macetheace
04.20.2021 , 08:50 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Why don't you just get another pair of pistols rather than doing all this switching between characters?

In fact, why not treat your alts to their own set of gear?
That's what I ended up doing, just have each character with their own weapons, and i pass the armor pieces around.

i feel your pain OP, it's annoying.. even more annoying are the dyes, they're incredibly expensive on the CC, but are one time use only.. i feel if you are charging 1,500 CC for a dye or 1k or anything above 100 CC, the very least they can be is unlocked for that character, at the very least.
If it feels wrong, it usually is.

Businesses must act with integrity in all things.