Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Attn Bioware: Steps to improving the quality, enjoyment and participation in pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Attn Bioware: Steps to improving the quality, enjoyment and participation in pvp

TrixxieTriss
04.26.2021 , 11:29 PM | #1
Bioware, here are a set of steps or a road map for improving pvp in this game. They donít include ranked, but the benefits would flow into ranked if more people were playing reg pvp and enjoying it.

The lockout and the win/loss change has driven down the player numbers in pvp (from my perspective, maybe your numbers tell a different story?). Itís a failed experiment in its current form and needs to be changed and improved if you want to keep these sort of mechanisms in place. The fundamental problem is youíve sucked the enjoyment out of pvp.

1. Allow players some sort of choice with map type. Wether thatís direct choice or allowing some maps to be unticked.

2. Allow players who back fill the opportunity to leave without penalty or reward back fillers with a win even if they lose.

3. Change the win/loss back to a points system, but increase the ratio to 3:1 or 4:1. You can even increase the number to complete the weekly to 20.

4. Reward more tech frags for pvp (across the board)

5. Drop gear that is always atleast at or above your irating and not below (if you arenít going to increase the amount of rewards)

6. Allow pvpers a dedicated route to obtain BiS sets for pvp that donít require doing pve operations or playing RNG lotto at Kai.

7. Get rid of the lockout in lowbies

8. Add a small amount of tech frags as a reward for doing lowbie pvp

9. Improve the technology so the queue knows if you were disconnected or lagged badly enough that you get bumped out of the match. You shouldnít get a 15min lock out for that and most other games donít do it.

10. Improve the matchmaking system and make our hidden ELO visible to us so we can see if itís working (doesnít need to be visible to others).

11. Stop putting premades against pugs when there are other premades already in the queue and waiting for pops.

12. For lowbies, boost all players abilities and utilities to lvl 74 and give them access to generic set bonus gear (like Ossus ones and are available from lvl 10 vendors). GW2 does something like this for their pvp. Without a system like this, no one below lvl 50 is going to want to pvp anymore and you are going to kill overall pvp participation and reduce skill even more in lvl 75 pvp.

13. Revamp the medal system and then reward people who play to win. That would mean even if they lose, they may get better rewards, like more tech frags or gear vs people who donít play to win.

14. Incentivise players to get better through rewards. This could be done by adding new pvp legacy achievements (examples only) :
* interrupting an enemy player healing a team mate
* mitigating damage
* target swapping
* stopping a team scoring with the Hutt ball
* catching a Hutt ball pass in the end zone
* intercepting a Hutt ball pass
* cleansing abilities from a team mate or yourself
* preventing an enemy from capping
* stealing an enemy node
etc, etc, etc

Bioware, youíve been driving players away from pvp and reducing the enjoyment of players who still play with your big stick approach to fixing problems.
If you really want to make reg pvp viable (again) in swtor, you need to make it fun for players again.

Let me finish by saying, cherry picking player ideas without implementing the rest of the systems people suggest to support their ideas is how youíve made pvp less fun and arduous. The lock out system would work better if you hadnít added it in a vacuum and disregarded the rest of the ideas that supported it, like map choice and fixing back fills and matchmaking. Adding a win requirement only made the whole thing worse.

You can fix reg pvp and revitalise players enjoyment again if you are willing to do some work. But if you keep going down this path like reg pvp is an after thought and doesnít matter to the game, you will kill it for good and that will eventually flow into ranked pvp too.
Do you want to be a better objective pvper?
Click here for a ďHow to PvP GuideĒ

Craydingus
04.27.2021 , 03:28 PM | #2
I second every fix suggested in this post.

Aside, I think the algorithm presently does try its best to pit premades vs other premades in unranked. Instances of premades vs pugs typically only come up when other premades in queue are already in matches. Could be wrong. All I know is that when I'm rolling with a group, we frequently get pitted against other assembled teams (as it should be).

BonnerFett
04.27.2021 , 03:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Craydingus View Post
I second every fix suggested in this post.

Aside, I think the algorithm presently does try its best to pit premades vs other premades in unranked. Instances of premades vs pugs typically only come up when other premades in queue are already in matches. Could be wrong. All I know is that when I'm rolling with a group, we frequently get pitted against other assembled teams (as it should be).
Me too. Great post by the OP.

HaoZhao
04.27.2021 , 05:28 PM | #4
PLEASE ignore all requests to allow players to choose map types. When I queue random for flashpoints what I get is Hammer Station at least 70% of the time. That's because players have the ability to choose which FPs to queue for and someone in the queue is always only playing Hammer Station because it's the fastest.

If players could choose PVP maps, PVP would be ruined. Players would choose the PVP equivalent of Hammer Station and that is mostly the only thing that would pop, all day long. I'll never fully understand people who want to play as little of the game as possible. I do not want bad PVEers ruining the queue by queueing for what they think is the easiest/fastest map so they can run their Galactic Season dailies a little faster. You don't know that this is what you're asking for but it is 100% what you are asking for.

Sounders_Fan
04.27.2021 , 07:31 PM | #5
agree with most of what you said Trixxie.

I would say to remove the deserter debuff all together. but not being forced into maps I despise like quesh or vandin huttball would be nice.

Illedros
04.27.2021 , 08:58 PM | #6
Great post, I wish there was a dev brave enough to respond to this. And in detail, not just with an empty 'yes, we're listening' response.

I 100% agree with your 'big stick' approach comment. They don't really seem to fine tune anything or consider details. They just slap a blanket solution on a problem that doesn't really address the root cause of the problem and also causes other problems. I sometimes wonder if they actually take PVP seriously at all. SWTOR PVP feels like a mini-game or side-quest compared to PVP in other MMOs. The attention the devs seem to give PVP is like they consider PVP to be an afterthought. Their 'fixes' seem poorly thought out and kinda like band-aids on a broken arm. I would love it if they actually explained the rationale behind their PVP decisions by showing how they arrived at a particular decision.

Just out of curiosity, I'd love to know how the staffing/job processes works at SWTOR. Eg - Are there separate teams/people that work on just PVE or PVP? If they're both managed by the same team how much lower priority are PVP issues given after PVE issues? (Clearly, they don't get the same priority and I get it - PVE make more money). Are PVP decisions made by the same person or very small group of people? Are PVP issues just jobs/projects assigned to random devs from a queue/management? (I work in IT and have seen IT infrastructure set up like this).

Sigh, I guess it doesn't really matter because come to think of it....this game has many areas where it's lagging behind other MMOs. I really shouldn't be surprised SWTOR PVP gets only this much attention and is poorly managed. If not for the Star Wars brand label I often wonder this game would still be in operation at all.

Wolvel
04.27.2021 , 09:01 PM | #7
They could implement a similar system for fps as for pvp, reward players that que for all. You should not FORCE players into playing something they dont want to.

TrixxieTriss
04.27.2021 , 09:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvel View Post
They could implement a similar system for fps as for pvp, reward players that que for all. You should not FORCE players into playing something they dont want to.
Something Iíve suggested for the last 4 years and fallen on deaf ears. Itís why I didnít add it to the list even though it makes sense.
Do you want to be a better objective pvper?
Click here for a ďHow to PvP GuideĒ

Enticy
04.28.2021 , 12:47 AM | #9
For about a month and a half, there was a petition on the GSF forum to nerf Remote Slicing. It gained a ton of support, and gained it quickly. People came together and told the devs what they wanted.

As of the latest patch, Remote Slicing was efficiently nerfed.

For the longest time, the prevailing attitude was that the devs donít listen, that the devs donít pay attention. Well, now we know that they do listen, they are paying attention, and enough noise will move suggestions. Itís too late to put that particular toothpaste back in the tube. So, itís time to make it happen again.

I say we make this a formal list of changes we in the community truly want to see implemented in PvP. The more traction it gains, the less reason the devs will have to pretend it doesnít exist. Just say that you agree with Trixxie if you want these changes to be made.

I agree with Trixxie, and I want these changes made.

HaoZhao
04.28.2021 , 03:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvel View Post
This system has failed miserably on the flashpoint side because 70% of "random" pops are still Hammer Station. It is DEMONTRABLY a bad idea.