The new character preview window... isn't good at all.

TheRandomWolf

As mentioned on Reddit, this is a WIP of the upcoming changes meant for the Character Preview Window: https://i.redd.it/xj4235yyt6a61.png

And honestly, it's a downgrade. It's bad. The one we had for years really needed to be changed, and 6.0 delivered as the one we have as of right now in the live client is... let's say, fine as it is? It does its job and I haven't seen anyone complain about it. We also don't need a new huge window attached to this UI. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Please!

Why place the weapons in-between armor? That's just... ugly to look at that, on top of not making much sense. Why move the AMPLIFIERS tab away? Why only show ONE window of stats when we could easily compare two just fine before? Having a bigger character window is kind of meaningless in the long run; especially when it's on a tab of PvE/PvP gear that almost nobody uses (as people generally prefer to rely on the OUTFIT DESIGNER).

I really hope this is what it is: a Work-In-Progress. Some clarification on this would be most welcome, however.

Edited by TheRandomWolf

This is probably a work-in-progress as you say. What irks me is that the left pane with character stats etc. isn't a straight line all the way to the bottom. They should widen the top part and/or thin the bottom part to align it properly. Also the gear slots aren't aligned as they are now. That also irks me. I like symmetry, what can I say...

And yeah the background is not that great but I suspect that's an early version issue.

Have a look at the whole character window:

UWvBz5V.jpg

When you have an ampifier, that amplifier-list opens as part of the character window and can't be minimized.

You can no longer have inventory, vendor and character window visible next to each other, unless you make the UI really small or move the char window to the right side of the screen (the amplifiers can be moved out of the right border)

DO NOT DO THIS BIOWARE

Edited by Mubrak

Have a look at the whole character window:

UWvBz5V.jpg

When you have an ampifier, that amplifier-list opens as part of the character window and can't be minimized.

You can no longer have inventory, vendor and character window visible next to each other, unless you make the UI really small or move the char window to the right side of the screen (the amplifiers can be moved out of the right border)

DO NOT DO THIS BIOWARE

I guess that depends on the size of your monitor tbh. I can have character window, inventar and even crew skills or legacy/character bank open and nothing is overlapping.

I doubt they changed the overall size of the character window so thats that.

They increased the width of the character window by 50%. The amplifier list is part of it.

The colour doesn't bother me, nor does having the main/off hand on the right. But that's just me.

What I don't like is the new thing with the amplifier, personally I think it's fine the way it was...

The Amplifier window needs to be minimizable. It takes up so much screen space now to have this open and makes it hard to have multiple windows open at once and see everything.

Removing both stat panes is a weird choice, i liked having 2 selectable panes to see stats but I suppose it's not really that important, more a want than a need.

But, let's talk about putting weapons between the armor pieces.... why? This is a terrible idea in my opinion. Since forever, weapons have been at the bottom, and that's not just a SWtOR thing, that's kind of an RPG thing and most MMO's follow that trend, weapons at the bottom.

I really didn't think this window even needed to be changed, it was good enough as it was. Bigger character display for what? I see my character in game, and in the preview window, and on this sheet all at the same time if I want to.

I would rather go back to a more KOTOR style equip menu over this, if anything were to change.

Ahh thanks...first impression: it looks horrible. Also the search function means that you have to know the name and if you have one that you need to get right first you wouldn't be able to find it easily.

I agree, I prefer it the way it was. I could open it up if I needed it, but ignore it when not.

Seems another cause of them wasting time on stuff that wasn't needed, instead of using that time for more important QoL issues. Or even just looking at the suggestions threads, and implementing some of the more requested stuff, that has been sitting there for a while

I agree, I prefer it the way it was. I could open it up if I needed it, but ignore it when not.

Seems another cause of them wasting time on stuff that wasn't needed, instead of using that time for more important QoL issues. Or even just looking at the suggestions threads, and implementing some of the more requested stuff, that has been sitting there for a while

I only use that button when I want to do a quick CQ action. But 99% of the time I just use the gear slots. I really don't need this button at all and that side screen I hope you will be able to minimize or disable. It serves hardly any purpose.

I honestly can't think of a reason for why they are wasting time on changes that nobody really needs.

I honestly can't think of a reason for why they are wasting time on changes that nobody really needs.

Boredom? :(

--

They do it all the time. /shrug

I still rage click away that truly awful "oh-em-gee Cartel specials!!!" pop-up upon 1st login each week. Bleh.

Agree. Why would they change the thing no one is complaining about?

It would be nice to know if this change is related to something oft requested, like making weapons part of Outfit Designer. If this is just a change for the sake of making a change, it strikes me as a waste of time and resources on BW's part.

Planetary Guild placards. Stronghold placards. Pop-up spam (partially toned down; never wanted or needed). Now, this. Sometimes I truly do not understand the "why" behind some changes made by BW.

Edited by Nmyownworld

• 1 month later...

Can we please, please, please for the love of all things holy, get a bump on this. The new character sheet is diabolically awful, how did anyone think this was an improvement? The loss of the secondary stat box, the horrendous amplifiers extension that makes the box gigantic, the WEAPONS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ARMOUR SECTION because hey, why the heck not right?

Bioware... please, this was not what anyone needed or wanted. Please change it back. I've seen genuine road traffic accidents that looked better than this :/