HD Texture Pack Request

IasonEvan

Hey all. This is my first time playing since 2013! I can't believe I created my forum account back in October of 2008! Wow!

I'll be quite frank in this thread. I came back out of morbid curiosity due to the launch on Steam after not really thinking about this game since I left. I was floored that I enjoyed myself so immensely upon my return. So much so I started subscribing again and purchased a new race! I'm having a blast.

The thing I'd really love to see first would be an HD Texture Pack for the characters followed by an HD Texture Pack for the game. This game still plays wonderfully but is looking a little long in the tooth and I think a new coat of paint would do it some good.

Looking forward to playing more!

There is talk, but we do not know the extent of it because no details have been released, about an early planet world redesign, which -- again, with zero details to work from this is pure speculation -- would include texture updates (if not a complete overhaul of the geometry).

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D

Never going to happen.

this is really funny considering it's star wars, bioware, and ea. Standing STone Games who are in charge of Lord of the Rings Online and it's a small potatoes studio upgraded their character models a few years ago and you have the option of keeping the old one. instead of laughing you should be proactively asking them to add it.

bless your heart though for adding so much to the discussion.

be well, friend.

this is really funny considering it's star wars, bioware, and ea. Standing STone Games who are in charge of Lord of the Rings Online and it's a small potatoes studio upgraded their character models a few years ago and you have the option of keeping the old one.

This has been asked for, over and over, as well as lots of other things which have been ignored. As Xor says, they have said 'something' is in the works, or planned, but with no details, people are extremely cynical, and with great reasons.

Just because this is star wars, BW & EA, doesn't mean they throw money at it. They are sc****** by on a budget, with what seems like a budget team. If you had been around, instead of just popping back after a while, you might have seen this.

No thanks, unless its optional because I do not want them to upgrade the textures unless they heavily optimize the game and that is unlikely to happen. I already have enough lag on planets like Onderon and Mek-Sha so I wouldn't like the entire game to be like that. Edited by FlameYOL

No thanks, unless its optional because I do not want them to upgrade the textures unless they heavily optimize the game and that is unlikely to happen. I already have enough lag on planets like Onderon and Mek-Sha so I wouldn't like the entire game to be like that.

Unless your graphics card is 10 years old, texture loading isn't a huge source of lag. If you play any other game, that game probably already has far higher texture densities than SWTOR, especially on SWTOR's starter planets.

Your shadow settings are equally to blame for lag involving higher-density textures.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I would LOVE to see something like this. The game's age is barely noticeable due to the art style except for the low quality textures. Really annoys the hell out of me, especially on gear like the Kingpin's Jacket.

honestly not needed and probably impossible for the current ''bioware'' dev team for this game to do

best let them focus on bug fixes i mean they did eventually managed to fix the emperors slot machine :) so kudos to them

graphics wise the game still holds up

I think the textures actually look quite nice in this game and hold up well.

I agree with you; however, they're starting to look tired in my opinion. Especially when playing other games like GW2 or ESO. Both are older games too, yet they still look fresh.

Edited by Ghost_Spectre

I agree with you; however, they're starting to look tired in my opinion. Especially when playing other games like GW2 or ESO. Both are older games too, yet they still look fresh.

Depends on your personal preferences I think. GW2 is definitely more flashy but I hate the character models and how clothes drape around them (the emphasis on around). It looks dated for me just because of that because it's kind of awkward looking.

But mostly I think it's a style issue and the SWTOR style is more traditional. I happen to like that so I don't have a problem at all with SWTOR's graphic style. But I get why other people might have...but yeah, it's just a matter of style and personal preference I feel.

Hey all. This is my first time playing since 2013! I can't believe I created my forum account back in October of 2008! Wow!

I'll be quite frank in this thread. I came back out of morbid curiosity due to the launch on Steam after not really thinking about this game since I left. I was floored that I enjoyed myself so immensely upon my return. So much so I started subscribing again and purchased a new race! I'm having a blast.

The thing I'd really love to see first would be an HD Texture Pack for the characters followed by an HD Texture Pack for the game. This game still plays wonderfully but is looking a little long in the tooth and I think a new coat of paint would do it some good.

Looking forward to playing more!

I got ReShade with only "Luma Sharpen" option ON with strength 3.000 and it's actually looks like with HD textures. No impact in fps. Right now using Valiant Jedi on my Sage, and I see my brown robe and armors looks much better, especially in cutscenes.

Edited by tummiswtor

Unless your graphics card is 10 years old, texture loading isn't a huge source of lag. If you play any other game, that game probably already has far higher texture densities than SWTOR, especially on SWTOR's starter planets.

Your shadow settings are equally to blame for lag involving higher-density textures.

My graphics card is 9 years old, and I already play without shadows because I cannot get more than 20 FPS in the newer planets with shadows on.

I think the textures actually look quite nice in this game and hold up well.

Agreed, they should focus on optimization IMO instead of upgrading the graphics.

Agreed, they should focus on optimization IMO instead of upgrading the graphics.

My SWTOR dream is to play PvP or OPS with no less than 60 fps... I can play everything on ultra 1080p except swtor. Last time played on lowest settings and noticed 24 fps. Felt like a slideshow. I need nothing more than optimalization of engine (if its even possible).

My SWTOR dream is to play PvP or OPS with no less than 60 fps... I can play everything on ultra 1080p except swtor. Last time played on lowest settings and noticed 24 fps. Felt like a slideshow. I need nothing more than optimalization of engine (if its even possible).

Yes SWTOR has a huge optimization problem especially when it comes to multiplayer content, even if you set things to very low and turn off all nameplates on a warzone you can still run into lag. Unfortunately I don't think they'll ever be able to fix that but hopefully at least they're able to make it better, like make the FPS drop not as huge, I'd be fine with things staying at 30 because at least in that range I can still effectively do mechanics, below that it gets hard to dodge some bosses AOE. Ossus and Mek-Sha are especially bad at this since they require full ops groups.

I will agree that an HD update would be great on some things like some of the older CM armor sets. Some of them looks really bad, with jagged lines showing clearly, and the armor looks flat like it's painted on the character, unlike the new CM sets, wich looks like proper armor.

And some of the older planets do need some love, like the starter planets. Some parts looks very low resolution, and has flat light.

So I do hope that we will get some graphical updates, but as to when that will happen is anyones guess...

Edited by Otowi

• 5 months later...

To revive this thread and get new attention to this topic; I think new textures are really important because they affect gaming experience. I would claim that 10 years ago some fuzzy textures were not worth to mention but times changed. Graphics are a very important factor of modern video gaming and more than just few MMO's had to face the necessity of graphical improvment.

Although the overall comic-like graphical style of SWTOR is timeless; "Mistakes" like total blurry textures are not. One can even see pixels if you zoom in or go near to some objects especially those located on the "old" planets. But blurriness on objects and structures is one thing. If you compare the quality between new armor sets (like those from the Cartel Market) and those you get through quests and progression you can notice that there are worlds between them. I would even say it looks like these armor sets are from different games. I think they really need to change that just because of uniformity reasons.

I hope we get something like that in the 10th anniversary of SWTOR

New textures might be nice and all, but I think, as usual, you are running up against the limitations of the current "engine". They have been doing some graphical improvements in the latest parts of the game, but that has resulted in much more lagginess and stuttering in those parts (for many people).

New textures might be nice and all, but I think, as usual, you are running up against the limitations of the current "engine". They have been doing some graphical improvements in the latest parts of the game, but that has resulted in much more lagginess and stuttering in those parts (for many people).

I'm loving the newer graphics of the latest stuff, and hope it continues, but I've a new rig, which can handle them. When I'm forced on to the laptop, I go from max settings to min...lol . Thankfully, it still preforms fine, just have min settings, but others aren't as lucky.

EDIT: I'm all for supporting this, but not at the cost of others enjoyment.

Edited by DarkTergon

Exchanging a 256x256 bitmap for a 2048x2048 bitmap wouldn't necessarily run up against any engine limitations.

In Sims4, for example, I can take any bitmap that's wrapped around any 3D object, even if the original bitmap is 64x64, and replace it with an entirely new bitmap that's up to 2048x2048 with no lag penalty. I have experimented, bumping an object up to 4096x4096, and it worked, but very slow, so on anything I do for that game, I honor my own "max" of 2048x2048, which the game seems fine with.

So, up to a point, I suspect the SWTOR engine most likely can handle modestly higher-resolution replacements for older, smaller textures just fine without any update to the engine.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Yeah I doubt this is the case.

There are 4K texture packs made by the community for KOTOR 1 + 2. I don’t think texture resolution is restricted by the engine, its restricted by EA’s lazy policy.

Yeah I doubt this is the case.

There are 4K texture packs made by the community for KOTOR 1 + 2. I don’t think texture resolution is restricted by the engine, its restricted by EA’s lazy policy.

are they the same engine? Do they require the same amount of programming, is the code on kotor, etc as screwed as the code here, etc?