Sweeping Changes and Retuns: How to make SWTOR awesome again.

JediKnightExile

So this is mostly a list of things I want to see come in the future for SWTOR, and some things that need to be reimplemented in a better way. This list may be updated for other ideas.

1) Allow the player to select his class AND his storyline. This would obviously have some restrictions. You wouldn’t want a gunslinger running around as a Jedi Knight. But I would love to go through the Jedi Knight storyline as a Jedi Sage. Same thing with a Sith Assassin in the Warrior storyline. Or a gunslinging havoc squad member. Operative bounty hunters. You get it the basic idea. Wouldn’t even need to change any of the voice acting either. Some animations may vary though.

2) Companion weapon choice. In a similar way to the idea above, let players have far more options of what their companions wield in combat. I’d love to give Kira Carsen two lightsabers, or Nadia one, or Ashara a saberstaff. When the majority of base game companions can use a saberstaff, it ruins hows special those types of weapons are supposed to be. Same went with Acina, since she felt more the sage type anyway. And Hexid for that matter. Same goes for gunners. If it’s something I’d like to see my companions wield in combat, it’s something I wish you’d reimplement. Let me give Vette an auto cannon, especially after KOTFE.

3) Ship cosmetics. Simple enough, let us deck out our personal ship with exterior and interior paint jobs.

4) A few missing items from the base game that I’ve seen virtually disappear off the edge of the galaxy. Specifically in the lightsaber department. Revan’s OG lightsaber hilt disappeared completely, or at the very least it’s completely rare and I can’t seem to find it. Every base game item should have an adaptable, modable variant of said model.

5) This is more personal: a dashing human male Jedi companion. We genuinely have no Luke or Anakin Skywalker types in the entire game, and it’s saddening to see. We have 4 choices of adorable humanoid female Jedi or former Jedi in the base game, but no dashing heroic human male companion. And no, I’m not considering Scourge, Arcann, or robot boy Padawan in the later updates. Doesn’t matter to me if he’s just a baby faced face type 1, body type 2 Padawan alliance alert with a training saber. GIMMIE.

6) More enhanced romance in general. Lots of romance in the game outside of Lana just kind of ends after like two cinematics. Let me do something special with them after I’m done all the romance quests.

7) LESS STUPID THIN BLADE SABERS! I can’t TELL you how annoying it is to see a cool new hilt, only to then see the blade is as thin as a toothpick. Better yet, select a blade type in a sort of setting for all your lightsaber hilts.

8) A less vomit looking base game green saber color.

9) Some special events should realistically last indefinitely for some classes, like in Star Wars Galaxies. Bounty contracts should last 365 days a year for bounty hunters and smugglers, ratghul infestation for troopers and agents, a special Jedi or Sith class special event for them all year long, ect.

10) Make. Renown. Crates. Cool. Again. I can’t tell you how much I miss getting adaptive gear sets in those things. Put them back in!!!

Edit 1.0:

1) Updated animations for saberstaff KOTFE and beyond. It’s insufferable to watch a shadow vs Arcann and seeing my mate swing his second blade at his legs constantly. Either make a new, faster animation for shadows/assassins, or just turn the second blade off.

Edit 2.0:

1) PUT KOTFE ERA CHARACTER MODEL FACES ON THE BASE FRAME! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to give Lana or Theron some new clothes, then be horrified about the undetailed faces they have when they have their appearance slot removed. Just put the basic head on their basic model, that way we can give them whatever clothes or weapons we want and it won’t look like crap.

Edit 3.0:

1) HOOD OPTION! It’s been in talks for years now, but some armors and robes just don’t look all that good with hoods on, especially ones that make the hair completely disappear. Give us the option to pull the hood down like if someone were to put on an insane headpiece that forces it down.

2) Hair underneath the hood. Some hoods DO actually look good, but it’s incredibly distracting to see someone with long hair go completely bald by wearing it. FIX THIS.

3) The Return of Darth Zash: As Inquisitors know, if you kept Khem Val around before Nathema, a returned Darth Zash confronts you before moving on to the next boss fight. Assuming that she died on the planet, you eventually run back into Khem and recruit him as your companion once more. But if you chose to give Zash Khem’s body, Khem eventually rejects her and takes back over his old form and is the one to confront you, and it’s assumed that he dies as well. However, we never got a returned Zash if you chose to side with her. I would love to see Zash eventually return as a potential companion. Despite her betrayal, she was the most likable mentor character in the Jedi/Sith campaigns. I would love to finally get a chance to have an awesome Darth and Darth power duo, especially if in campaign or conversation events, she is the one who’s far more knowledgeable about the Sith than even the likes of Lana.

4) New Game Plus: Because sometimes I’d like to rekick Thanatos’s ***. Keeps our companion influence the same, as well as any non story companions in the roster for the reset, but ultimately let us reset our character story without having to make a whole new character.

Edit 4.0:

1) Normalized LGBT base characters. It was really weird that you could only ever romance characters like Jaesa as a male, but when she returns you can romance her as both male and female. Just make her romanceable to both genders in the base game. Would definitely take up a bit more revoiced lines from the actors, but it’d be worth it.

2) Cartel Market Companions. I would love to get a chance to have some of my favorite characters from the 8 different campaigns and addons, and I wouldn’t mind shelling out a couple bucks to do so. They wouldn’t say anything relevent in conversations, but just stand there looking cool. Characters like Marr, Revan, Syo Bakarn, Overseer Tremmel, Yuan Parr, Ravage, Malcom, Hylo, Vaylin, and Thexan.

3) Two different companions out at the same time. With the addition of Knights of the Fallen Empire and the massive amount of companion characters you can grab from alliance alerts, I was genuinely surprised to hear that you couldn’t be able to pull out more than one at a time. While I know this is an MMO and should encourage PVE groups with actual people, I would love to pull out at least 2 or 3 companions into a full group to start dominating some veteran level flash points and heroics.

Edit 5.0:

1) For the next story dlc, I want to have an option of a full transfer to either the Republic or the Empire. And not just in the story. In the game as well. For instance, if a Jedi Guardian decides to fully join the Empire next dlc, he or she should be allowed onto the Imperial fleet, allowed on Korriban and Dromund Kaas, given Imp heroics and Flashpoint, as well as well as Imp apparel, all while still holding onto their personal companions like Doc.

That’s it for now. Leave thoughts and suggestions below.

Edited by JediKnightExile
Edit 4.0

1) Allow the player to select his class AND his storyline. This would obviously have some restrictions. You wouldn’t want a gunslinger running around as a Jedi Knight. But I would love to go through the Jedi Knight storyline as a Jedi Sage. Same thing with a Sith Assassin in the Warrior storyline. Or a gunslinging havoc squad member. Operative bounty hunters. You get it the basic idea. Wouldn’t even need to change any of the voice acting either. Some animations may vary though.

I'm unconvinced by the idea itself (in a "neither for nor against" kind of way), but the animations would definitely be a bit strange in places. Examples:

* Out of combat regeneration: Smuggler class playing Trooper story... (Unless you say that the animation for that ability is taken from the *story* rather than from the gameplay class. The downside of that is that I think it would be interesting to add an idea I had a while back. See below.)

* Smuggler story with *anything* to do with assault cannons.

* Agent story with BH animations.

2) Companion weapon choice. In a similar way to the idea above, let players have far more options of what their companions wield in combat. I’d love to give Kira Carsen two lightsabers, or Nadia one, or Ashara a saberstaff. When the majority of base game companions can use a saberstaff, it ruins hows special those types of weapons are supposed to be. Same went with Acina, since she felt more the sage type anyway. And Hexid for that matter. Same goes for gunners. If it’s something I’d like to see my companions wield in combat, it’s something I wish you’d reimplement. Let me give Vette an auto cannon, especially after KOTFE.

I always wondered why they didn't give returned-Vette an assault cannon option, I gotta say. This would also end the occasional debates about Corso and whether he uses a pistol or a rifle and if he uses a rifle in combat, why is he so fussed about a missing pistol and all that.

3) Ship cosmetics. Simple enough, let us deck out our personal ship with exterior and interior paint jobs.

I'm used to the current colour schemes by now, although I wouldn't mind being able to repaint the interior of the Fury.

4) A few missing items from the base game that I’ve seen virtually disappear off the edge of the galaxy. Specifically in the lightsaber department. Revan’s OG lightsaber hilt disappeared completely, or at the very least it’s completely rare and I can’t seem to find it. Every base game item should have an adaptable, modable variant of said model.

It's always sad when "iconic" items like that go missing. Even less iconic things like the "Esseles" weapons. The Esseles AC was a bit meh in looks, but it was still special because it was the *Esseles* cannon.

10) Make. Renown. Crates. Cool. Again. I can’t tell you how much I miss getting adaptive gear sets in those things. Put them back in!!!

Renown crates weren't *ever* cool. The cool ones were Galactic Command crates, but yes, I'd like some of that, too.

I'm unconvinced by the idea itself (in a "neither for nor against" kind of way), but the animations would definitely be a bit strange in places. Examples:

* Out of combat regeneration: Smuggler class playing Trooper story... (Unless you say that the animation for that ability is taken from the *story* rather than from the gameplay class. The downside of that is that I think it would be interesting to add an idea I had a while back. See below.)

* Smuggler story with *anything* to do with assault cannons.

* Agent story with BH animations.

Well, they haven’t really updated much of the animations to begin with. Saber dueling with a saberstaff in KOTFE use single hilt animations anyway. Troopers will bust out a random rifle during some animations, despite being commando. But other than those, all other animations are just drawing and aiming a pistol or saber, so switching up the saberstaff animation would be the biggest concern. Either way, I’d still prefer picking both the class and the sorry that I’d like to use rather than just the class.

I always wondered why they didn't give returned-Vette an assault cannon option, I gotta say. This would also end the occasional debates about Corso and whether he uses a pistol or a rifle and if he uses a rifle in combat, why is he so fussed about a missing pistol and all that.

I actually forgot about the Corso debate. But yeah, Gimmie some minigun action with Vette and to teach my Padawan to use a different saber. Double Bladed lightsabers in this game should still be special, not every other person using them.

It's always sad when "iconic" items like that go missing. Even less iconic things like the "Esseles" weapons. The Esseles AC was a bit meh in looks, but it was still special because it was the *Esseles* cannon.

I forgot about that tbh. And I remember in the old base game you could pick up Kreia’s lightsaber, or something else rare and iconic.

Renown crates weren't *ever* cool. The cool ones were Galactic Command crates, but yes, I'd like some of that, too.

Fair.

I'd love to see vette with a cannon again. But if they were to allow other companions too, I'd have treak or blizz running around with the big cannons, [K-13 FS Heavy Cannon], [Kyber Assault Cannon], and others :) or the cather warstaff...lol

Okay. Let me just say, playing a Guardian build through the Consular storyline, would at least give me the class story I love (Consular) with the single blade light saber that I want!

Though, would they let us also do Warrior class through Consular or Knight? Because then it becomes an even harder choice. Consular for the story but Knight for companions.

Though, would they let us also do Warrior class through Consular or Knight? Because then it becomes an even harder choice. Consular for the story but Knight for companions.

Perhaps not that in particular, but it would be interesting if your light or dark alignment eventually changes your ability types as you get darker or lighter. So like a dark side Guardian would eventually use choke, and a light side Warrior could use statis. Same for inquisitors and consulars. Would be awesome to see a purely telekinetic sorcerer.

Perhaps not that in particular, but it would be interesting if your light or dark alignment eventually changes your ability types as you get darker or lighter. So like a dark side Guardian would eventually use choke, and a light side Warrior could use statis. Same for inquisitors and consulars. Would be awesome to see a purely telekinetic sorcerer.

Or just have a base class called Force sensitive that chooses a fighting style/weapon once they forge their lightsaber and their faction is decided by light/darkside alignment...You reach light or dark 4 and you are now a Jedi/Sith. Would have been a cool way to do it.

Edited by Soljin

Or just have a base class called Force sensitive that chooses a fighting style/weapon once they forge their lightsaber and their faction is decided by light/darkside alignment...You reach light or dark 4 and you are now a Jedi/Sith. Would have been a cool way to do it.

A Dark Jedi is not the same thing as a Sith; a light-sided Sith is not the same thing as a Jedi.

They have specific philosophies and Codes distinct from Force alignment (though often connected). Reducing one being a Jedi or Sith to Dark/Light is kinda silly.

A Dark Jedi is not the same thing as a Sith; a light-sided Sith is not the same thing as a Jedi.

They have specific philosophies and Codes distinct from Force alignment (though often connected). Reducing one being a Jedi or Sith to Dark/Light is kinda silly.

It also conflicts with the already pre existing storylines we already have to just throw force users at the class and NOT call them Sith or Jedi. But we can still give them more light or dark abilities if their alignment reflects that.

Don't get caught up on my choice of words and focus on the idea. This is an organic path for a force user... the titles can be worked out sure though the story lines are going to confine you to one or the other not this idea.

Don't get caught up on my choice of words and focus on the idea. This is an organic path for a force user... the titles can be worked out sure though the story lines are going to confine you to one or the other not this idea.

I think "I would like another Star Wars Galaxies" is a more feasible position than "SWTOR should be completely redone to be Star Wars Galaxies."

I think "I would like another Star Wars Galaxies" is a more feasible position than "SWTOR should be completely redone to be Star Wars Galaxies."

No disagreement here...SWToR could never be an SWG style Star Wars MMO...there is no comparison minus the IP. SWToR is an awesome online KOTOR but Launch version SWG minus the constraints of the time is what modern Survival MMO style games are trying to be...Like they are still trying to catch up.

SWToR although a great game in its own right was designed to be WoW Star Wars...they took safest and most basic design route with the addition of voiced story.

Amusing oddity. This would render certain dialogue a bit strange, particularly if you're playing the Sith Warrior story as an Assassin. Does this dialogue make any sense in that case? https://i.imgur.com/jjgt6Xz.jpg (Dri'kill Ba'al: "I thought he'd send a stealthy assassin, not some senseless savage.")

Amusing oddity. This would render certain dialogue a bit strange, particularly if you're playing the Sith Warrior story as an Assassin. Does this dialogue make any sense in that case? https://i.imgur.com/jjgt6Xz.jpg (Dri'kill Ba'al: "I thought he'd send a stealthy assassin, not some senseless savage.")

Perhaps. But also like... I don’t really care all that much either? How many times has a sorcerer talked about killing people with his lightsaber when in combat he rarely uses one?

I think it's their terrible cut scenes, as to why I want a single blade Shadow even more. If you're not going to do the cut scenes right, give us the option to have it so it is.

I would honestly rather them fix the cutscenes so that they DO work properly for saberstaff. Though a single hilt or duel wielding stealth unit would be interesting. They could maybe implement two new advance classes for each side, one by default following the Knight and the other the consular. But as I said, I’d rather select the class and the story.

I would honestly rather them fix the cutscenes so that they DO work properly for saberstaff. Though a single hilt or duel wielding stealth unit would be interesting. They could maybe implement two new advance classes for each side, one by default following the Knight and the other the consular. But as I said, I’d rather select the class and the story.

I'm open for either. However, the cut scenes being off, for me, is just that terrible. :/