Am I the only one thinking we have too many abilities ?

Derzelaz

With the addition of the new ability for every class, I came to realise that I'm running out of keybinds. And I think that the problem is that we have too many abilities that, more or less, do the same thing. For example, why do tank Juggs and Guardians have 2 identical stuns ? Why do Vanguards and PTs have 4 aoe abilities ?

I like the idea of having a different version of one ability that changes with the spec you're in, and I want to see more of that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the addition of the new ability for every class, I came to realise that I'm running out of keybinds. And I think that the problem is that we have too many abilities that, more or less, do the same thing. For example, why do tank Juggs and Guardians have 2 identical stuns ? Why do Vanguards and PTs have 4 aoe abilities ?

I like the idea of having a different version of one ability that changes with the spec you're in, and I want to see more of that.

You are not the only one, players have been saying that for awhile. It is a mix bag really.

People who like the game as it is. Will say, go play another mmo. Or blah blah wow blah blah.

Others such as myself, has spoken out about how this game combat, and skill bloat holds it back for years.

It is a mix bag. On one hand. If they change it. It is a gamble that they might not get new players back for it. Because this mmo has burnt so many bridges, that people are not willing to waste time with it. Even if it is free.

On the other hand. I'm not sure if any company would be happy with players coming, see the storyline and stop paying until the next storyline comes.

If I was in Charge, and I was not happy with the cost/money this game makes. I would do a combat revamp, and do a big push. Get the word out, and hope to have a decent amount of players show up, enough to stick around. If it fails, or loses players..or just keeps this community that never grows. Put this game out of its misery.

I will never forgive this game for taking away my single player version of it. I wanted it to be better. All they did was copy wow classic classes, and have not updated it enough for it to matter.

Never forget the picture in my sig.

Edited by Teladis

On my operative, not really no. I suppose I don't use the noxious? knives thing (found it pretty pointless as it doesn't do anything much) but I utilise almost all of the other abilities with exception to adding tactical (unless it's a super long fight) and cloaking screen or whatever it's called. I have removed that from my hot keys so I don't accidentally hit the wrong key and set it off. It's counter productive. Either I die, or I live. :p Cloaking screen is only effective if you've multiple enemies and are able to weed a few out as enemy health bar automagically regenerates when you hit that ability. The most utilised skill on my operative is the roll especially in fights where you can't melee because you don't want to stand in stupid damage circles. So I quick roll in, backstab, stab, or debilitate whichever is free, hit the AoE gas affect, roll out.

Sniper - OMG yes. But, I fast leveled my baby sniper to level 70 so I didn't grow into the abilities. I'm like...I'm out of room on my usual hotkeys, is it possible snipers have more abilities than operatives? I dunno, but I've sidelined abilities with my sniper. They are on my side quick bars but not hotkeyed. I'll rotate them into my hotkeys if I find them better.

Jedi knight - Yeah, been too long since I've played her and I'll be honest, I've forgotten how to play her so we will see if I survive the new content.

Assassin - if memory serves, I believe they may have too many abilities but same is true as JK - I've left my assassin on Iokath so I'll not be picking her up soon.

Sorc - same as above

My Mara - yes. I believe they can have a skill prune as I do remember sidelining abilities like force scream if memory serves correctly, but it's been awhile.

Haven't touched the rest of my chars since KOTET so no idea on those.

I main an operative - can you tell? haha. :p

Personally I like having lots of abilities to press. I find it more fun than, say, ESO.

Agreed. I didn't think we needed another new ability with this expansion but I don't think we need to get rid of anything we already have. If you find yourself not using something then don't keybind it. No need to ask them to take away from people who actually do use them.

Way too many similar abilities.

Just have maybe 2 AoE and 2 Single attacks would suffice.

Skill bloat is out of hand in this game ever since the beginning.

2 single attacks? Are you crazy? Seriously? Each one has a unique reason to use it which is crucial for things like PVP or dungeons.

2 single attacks? Are you crazy? Seriously? Each one has a unique reason to use it which is crucial for things like PVP or dungeons.

Some people enjoy gameplay where you left click basic attack a bunch, then occasionally use one of four abilities.

I don't get it, but... yeah.

Not this again.

I give up. People won't be happy until they ruin every mmo with 3-4 button rotations.

No! I enjoy having more ways to interact with the game. The combat in this game is great. The last thing we need is to screw it up the way WoW has.

Ability number is fine. It is just right. Half the classes didn't even get a new skill, they got a charge on one of their existing skills.

Personally I like having lots of abilities to press. I find it more fun than, say, ESO.

There is a lot of room between having dozens of abilities with more added every time another couple of hours of story is released, and being restricted to five at a time.

Edited by DawnAskham

Not this again.

I give up. People won't be happy until they ruin every mmo with 3-4 button rotations.

No! I enjoy having more ways to interact with the game. The combat in this game is great. The last thing we need is to screw it up the way WoW has.

Ability number is fine. It is just right. Half the classes didn't even get a new skill, they got a charge on one of their existing skills.

I agree with this.

...If I was in Charge, and I was not happy with the cost/money this game makes. I would do a combat revamp, and do a big push. Get the word out, and hope to have a decent amount of players show up, enough to stick around. If it fails, or loses players..or just keeps this community that never grows. Put this game out of its misery.

Oh I hate the mention of Combat Revamps. There are still people who cringe about SWG CU and MxO CR 2.0.

There will always be those who say "There is too many abilities" and "There are not enough abilities." I admit there are some abilities I never use pretty much ever. This doesn't mean get rid of those, someone might use the very ones I think should be binned. I haven't got to the point that I'm pulling my hair out because of way too many abilities or these abilities are too similar (There's only so many ways you can swing a sabre).

I can take way too many bullets and sabre hits to be still alive anyway; but its a game - suspend reality.

I only have enough attention span to keep up with 2 quickbars, and even then, it's a struggle.

But I say no, we don't have too many abilities. That's how they ended up removing "base class abilities" like Full Auto and Flame Thrower, and restricting them to advanced classes. The last thing we need is to give the devs more excuses to remove things!

This seems like a lot of noise about nothing. If you truly think that you have 2 identical stuns, only keybind 1 of them. Same with AOEs. You can keybind the skills you use most often and just skillbar the rest. And unless you are doing ranked PvP or NiM OPs, you'll find you don't really need all of them.

Oh I hate the mention of Combat Revamps. There are still people who cringe about SWG CU and MxO CR 2.0.

There will always be those who say "There is too many abilities" and "There are not enough abilities." I admit there are some abilities I never use pretty much ever. This doesn't mean get rid of those, someone might use the very ones I think should be binned. I haven't got to the point that I'm pulling my hair out because of way too many abilities or these abilities are too similar (There's only so many ways you can swing a sabre).

I can take way too many bullets and sabre hits to be still alive anyway; but its a game - suspend reality.

Agree, that is why it is a lose/lose.

On the one hand, changing the combat would get new people to try or old people to come back who HATE this bloated system we have.

On the other hand you risk players that already like the system as in.

My stance on it is this, I would gladly ruin this game for a few to get more people to play and more profits for the game. If they just add better movement. Cut back on the skills. This game COULD be much better.

That being said, it is hard to forgive such a rip off of wow when it comes to combat. People don't forgive so easily.

This seems like a lot of noise about nothing. If you truly think that you have 2 identical stuns, only keybind 1 of them. Same with AOEs. You can keybind the skills you use most often and just skillbar the rest. And unless you are doing ranked PvP or NiM OPs, you'll find you don't really need all of them.

I think a lot of people just don't know how their abilities actually work or interact.

Agreed. I think they could easily prune abilities and it would make the game better. I also feel there are far too many DCDs and incombat speed boosts/CC immunities etc.

Adding new and improved, bigger, badder, faster class abilities has caused many of the maps to be compromised. That's probably what I dislike most with how the abilities have evolved over the years.

Your problem is you think you have to keybind every single ability.

Figure out what abilities you use the most, and keybind them. Rotations rarely use every single combat ability.

Getting rid of abilities is not the answer, especially since pve and pve often have different requirements, and an ability that is never used in pve (or pvp) might be very useful in the other.

Then there are the group vs solo abilities. Things like your threat drop are not needed in solo play, but you still want to have them handy (not keybound, clicking on a sidebar should be fine) for raiding.

They should rework each class to work like the Warden in LOTRO.

Three core abilities "builders", two "stances".

Which stance you are in, and which of the three "builders" you use in which order - up to 5 builders - triggers a "pay out" ability.

You can have pay-outs at almost any combination of 2, 3, 4, or 5, Builders - allowing for massive variability, or iterative increases, of "pay-out" impact.

Worked really well for Warden, one of the more interesting, flexible, and formidable classes in LOTRO.

For SWTOR I'd suggest each Class has 2-4 Builders that work across all three specialties, and then each specialty has 2-4 unique builders; and then allow combos of 3-5 builders.

Much like some classes have skills that will give a proc % to a special effect on an existing ability, just make it fixed.

So that if you use A+B+C you'll ALWAYS get Z; but A+B+B+C will give you Y.

This would a) decrease skill bloat, b) make classes more versatile, c) make rotations less static, and finally d) offer that "difficulty" escalator for End-Game players - especially if FP and OPs bosses take reduced damage from Builders, and only take full damage from more complex Combinations (kind of like Fellowship Manoeuvres - also in LOTRO).

All The Best