Dazh Ranos and Patch 6.0

Drenovade

At the Cartel Bazaar of the fleet, there are special vendors called "event ambassadors" who offer items that were once only obtainable by participating in one-time events. These include the 2012 Grand Acquisition Race(aka Chevin event) rewards, as well as the original 2012 Rakghoul Pandemic event rewards. They were brought back in 2015 with KOTFE(patch 4.0).

The rewards now require Rakghoul DNA Canisters, Gray Helix Components, and Bounty Contracts to purchase them, which are acquirable through the regularly scheduled Rakghoul, Gree, and Bounty events respectively. The rewards are by no means cheap and require A LOT of time and gameplay to obtain, which makes it fair for those who worked to obtain them back during the original events.

I would like to see the same happen with the companion, Dazh Ranos, who was also an in-game event reward from the Dark vs Light event in 2016. About 3 years passed before the 2012 event rewards were made available again through the event ambassadors in 2015, so now in 2019, that puts us right on schedule for Ranos, a DvL event reward, to be made available again as well.

Please bear in mind that this request is only for Ranos. All the other rewards from the DvL event including the armor sets, bonus XP-granting armor, mounts, pets, titles, and DvL pack rewards, can all remain exclusive to the original participants of the event. My only concern is Ranos because she's a character recruited into the Alliance, and thus, relevant to the lore to some extent. You can even engage in a bit of story dialogue with her, and learn about your missing companions, including Kira, Scourge, and others.

Obtaining Ranos required reaching the "Eternal level" of the event, which in addition to some minor activities, only required:

-Leveling a Republic and Empire character to level 65(second character was much faster with the XP gear)

-Completing all flashpoints

-Completing round 5 of the Eternal Championship

-Completing the SoR and KOTFE expansion storylines on a single character.

Just like the other event rewards that were brought back, Ranos could have an extremely high currency cost that would require immense time and effort to obtain her, making it even MORE difficult than it was to obtain her in the original event(while still NOT offering all the other rewards that were included for reaching the "Eternal level").

I recommend using light/dark side tokens as the new currency to acquire her, which would keep the theme of the original DvL event and reignite some interest in the current DvL feature(such as killing the bosses that spawn), but using any other currency that is earned in-game, such as the event currencies, would be fine as well.

Another option is to link her to an achievement as was done with her counterpart, Darth Hexid. Again, making the objectives much more challenging than what it took to get her originally. Perhaps something like:

-Level a Republic and Empire character to level 70(no XP gear)

-Complete all flashpoints twice

-Complete round 8 of the Eternal Championship

-Complete the SoR, KOTFE, and KOTET expansion storylines on a single character.

-Additionally, defeat a spawned DvL world boss 20 times

And I reiterate, none of the other DvL rewards from the original event would be included. Effectively, players would be doing much MORE work for much LESS the reward.

Whatever method the devs may decide to go with, I think Ranos would be a great addition to include in patch 6.0, keeping the trend of retired in-game event rewards becoming available again in a limited fashion, but only to players willing to go the extra mile by dedicating a lot of time and effort into obtaining them.

See also:

Event Ambassadors: https://torcommunity.com/database/vendors/retired-event-rewards

Darth Hexid Achievement: https://torcommunity.com/database/achievement/HBqAfkC/with+a+little+help+from+my+friends/

2016 DvL Event Guide: http://dulfy.net/2016/06/23/swtor-light-vs-dark-event-info-guide/

I have Ranos and wouldn't be bothered with a rerelease. I'm not a fan of making harder requirements just because the original event has passed, even if there is precedent.

Selling her for dark/light tokens isn't a bad idea. I've capped both of them despite buying anything from the vendor that isn't just a burden on my inventory.

This is where I am on the event (gameplay) rewards. I'm going to try to break down my thoughts on event rewards versus subscriber rewards since I do think in the past I've had some fellow posters try to blur my opinions of the two over the years.

For subscriber rewards, go ahead and bring them back. I have all of them minus a couple, but I don't play SWTOR to have my card charged by a certain date, or for a certain time, for a certain promotion, and to get a reward. I play to play the game. With or without subscriber promotions and rewards, my gameplay usage and experience is the same.

But for something like event rewards. More specifically like Ranos, that involved heavy... heavy... gameplay, a lot more than having my card charged. I know I'll probably get the same response towards event rewards as I'm going to mention towards subscriber rewards, but for me, it's almost, for subscriber rewards, without the rewards, I was still going to be subscribed, my card would still be charged, my gameplay experience is exactly same with or without the promotion and the rewards. But for the DvL or any event rewards, you had to actually play the game.

For me, as someone who went through all the tiers, I think it only fair to bring back the event, or somehow craft an alliance alert or achievement comparable to the event. I know posters are ready with pitchforks and fire for HK-55 and the bonus chapter, but again, I'm more that mentality towards something I had actually play and not just have my card charged by a specific date or time frame.

So I agree with your notion of an achievement that somewhat mimics the original event over the token usage to acquire her.

Edited by absolutetristan

For me, as someone who went through all the tiers, I think it only fair to bring back the event, or somehow craft an alliance alert or achievement comparable to the event. I know posters are ready with pitchforks and fire for HK-55 and the bonus chapter, but again, I'm more that mentality towards something I had actually play and not just have my card charged by a specific date or time frame.

I'm in more or less the same situation on the question of why I subscribed during all the sub reward times since July 2015 (Nico stuff, Nico, Shae, HK return, Shroud of Memory, Chiss speeder, etc. etc. etc... I got them all), *but* there have been people who've said on these forums that they stayed subscribed during the Shroud of Memory continuous-subscription period specifically and solely to get the mission.

So you and I subscribed to play and got nice stuff as a bonus (we can argue about whether the HK helmet counts as nice stuff), while those people subscribed to get the nice stuff and got subscriber gameplay as a bonus.

This is not to say that they *should* rerelease those things, nor that they *should not*, but merely to show that people subscribe for all sorts of reasons and that we should not over-generalise from our own personal choices.

So I agree with your notion of an achievement that somewhat mimics the original event over the token usage to acquire her.

Up to a point, so do I, except that there should be something more available to encourage people who got Ranos in the first event to participate. (If it's just a repetition of the same rewards, my incentive to participate in the event is limited.)

Up to a point, so do I, except that there should be something more available to encourage people who got Ranos in the first event to participate. (If it's just a repetition of the same rewards, my incentive to participate in the event is limited.)

That's probably why they added the legacy title reward, "The Galaxy's Finest", and 20 CC for completing the Darth Hexid achievement. I imagine they could do something similar for Ranos if they decide to go the achievement route again.

• 3 weeks later...
With the expansion coming soon in September, I imagine patch 6.0 is just a few weeks away. Really hope this makes it in. Would love to see the availability of old event rewards be updated, particularly for Ranos. New expansion patches seem like the best time to do it.

I have no issues with making her available, friends and guildies always see me using her and say they want her. I personally hate the concept of time limited rewards, be it companions or otherwise, that become unobtainable. You could do these sort of things by making it much easier or getting the items instantly at that time, but place some way to obtain it afterward for those that couldn't be there for it's release. Edited by fahdashq

• 4 months later...
I quit the game because I'm disabled and ended up in the hospital for the rest of the event, one level away from unlocking her, and support couldn't help me. I'd be back in a flash if they added another way to get her (on a 7 day referral sub right now solely so I could post here lol).