Medicine / Sawbones Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Medicine and Sawbones Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

Tactical items:

- Instead of healing, recuperative nanotech refreshes probes on everyone it hits (might be op, some tuning maybe required here, like only add half the duration or something)

- Instead of refreshing kolto probes, surgical probe make all the stacks of kolto probe instantly heal the target for the amount left on the heal over time (once again might be op, maybe make it so it only heals for x% of the healing left)

- (dunno if I like this last one but wild idea) If a kolto probe (with 1 or 2 stacks) heals someone that is already at max hp, it jumps to another ally. Not sure how to select this ally, here are ideas: (1) Ally with lowest hp that doesn't already have probes (stay on target of none apply) or (2) Ally with lowest hp, if he already has probes add whatever time was left on the jumping probes

Set bonus:

- Give DR (or other passive bonus, like power or soemthing) for every ally buffed by you (not counting class buffs)

Some ideas I came up with real quick:

Set Bonus:

AOE healing set bonus:

2 piece: Increased amount of healing for X amount of time

4 piece: Recuperative Nanotech heal boost by X amount

6 piece: Reduced CD of Kolto Waves or Recuperative Nanotech

General healing set bonus:

2 piece: Kolto Injection auto crit

4 piece: Increased healing (or critical chance?) of Surgical Probe by X amount

6 piece: Each tick of Kolto Probe restores (2?) energy. (This would have to be limited to a finite amount of probes)

Defensive Set Bonus:

2 piece: Increased amount of absorbed damage from Shield Probe by X amount

4 piece: Stim Boost now grants interrupt immunity for its duration

6 piece: Evasion grants stun immunity for its duration (this might be too op but idk)

Tactical Items:

-Turning Recuperative Nanotech into a stronger single target heal

-Turning Kolto Infusion into a weaker AOE heal

-Recuperative Nanotech spreads 1 Kolto Probe to affected targets

-Diagnostic Scan is now a weaker AOE heal

-Stim boost now grants 2 stacks of Enduring Kolto (allowing for 2 auto Injections/Infusions)

- Reduced energy cost of Kolto Waves

- Countermeasures now grants X amount of DR

Set Bonus:

AOE healing set bonus:

6 piece: Each tick of Kolto Probe restores (2?) energy. (This would have to be limited to a finite amount of probes)

Defensive Set Bonus:

6 piece: Evasion grants stun immunity for its duration (this might be too op but idk)

Tactical Items:

-Stim boost now grants 2 stacks of Enduring Kolto (allowing for 2 auto Injections/Infusions)

This pls.

Tactical Items:

- Every third Underworld Medicine use has its cast time reduced by 100%, and it's Energy requirement reduced by 50%.

- Emergency Medpac no longer has an energy requirement, always grants a stack of Upper Hand when used, and its power is increased by 10%.

- Kolto Cloud now affects up to 8 allies standing within 10m of the initial target.

- Kolto Cloud now only affects 1 target, lasts for 3 seconds, and it's cooldown is increased to 30 seconds. That target gains 10% damage reduction for the duration of the skill.

- Kolto Pack now has 2 charges instead of 1 (meaning you can use the skill twice before having to wait for the skill's personal cooldown to expire, like Scamper).

- You can now use Defense Screen on any ally other than yourself.

- Placing Vital Shot on an enemy now heals the enemy's target, instead of damaging the enemy.

- Lacerating Blast now heals allies instead of damaging enemies.

- [ON USE] Eliminate the Upper Hand requirement for Kolto Pack, and reduce it's cooldown by 100% for 5 seconds. (3 min cooldown)

- [ON USE] Underworld Medicine can be cast while moving for 10 seconds. (3 min cooldown)

Set Bonus:

- Using Scamper makes you immune to interrupts and ability activation pushback for 5 seconds. Can happen once every 45 seconds.

- Using Dodge reduces Force and Tech damage taken by 75% for the duration of the skill.

- For every stack of Slow-Release Medpac you have on a group member (including yourself), increase your damage reduction by 1%.

- For every stack of Slow-Release Medpac you have on a group member (including yourself), increase your alacrity rating by ???%.

- For every stack of Slow-Release Medpac you have on a group member (including yourself), increase your critical rating by ???%.

- For every stack of Slow-Release Medpac you have on a group member (including yourself), increase your movement speed by ???%.

- The first tick of Kolto Waves refreshes all HoTs that the user placed on all group members hit, and if any group member hit by the first tick of Kolto Waves had 1 stack of Slow-Release Medpac on them, increase the stack count to 2.

- Kolto Waves increases the AOE damage reduction of all allies in its target area by 30% for the duration of the skill (does not stack).

- (This one's a bit complicated, but meh.) If Slow-Release Medpac would heal a target that is already at 100% health, Slow-Release Medpac expires, and places an absorb shield on the target that absorbs an amount of damage equal to the sum of the remaining heals of each stack of Slow-Release on that target. Does not work on targets already at 100% health when Slow-Release Medpac is applied or refreshed. The absorb shield lasts for 20 seconds or until consumed.

I'll post more later if I come up with others.

Edited by happysister

One suggestion would be to add some functionality to diagnostic scan. Maybe a toggle that switches between:

1. Diagnostic Scan doubles the tick rate of all HoTs on current target for the duration of the channel.

2. Diagnostic Scan increases the critical rating of the current target by X percent for the duration of the channel.

3. Diagnostic Scan increases the absorb rating of the current target by X percent for the duration of the cannel.

Basically you can choose between healing throughput, offense, or defense.

I’d like to have an option to use big / moderate instant heals on the move since there’re fights where constant movement during certain phases is required, and HoTs are not always enough to keep group members alive. It’s especially stressful if scoundrel / op is the only healer in the group (e.g. MM FPs: final boss in Assault on Tython, bonus boss in Lost Island). Suggestion for Tactical Item:

• Kolto Pack / Kolto Infusion can be used on the move
  • OR Underworld Medicine / Kolto Injection can be used on the move but goes on x sec CD (maybe 5 sec?)

Here's a couple more I thought up...

Tactical Item:

- In addition to damaging enemies, Bushwhack now heals allies standing in its radius.

- Diagnostic Scan can now be used on enemies, grants the user "Unshakeable" for the duration of the skill, gains a 30 second cooldown, and reduces the accuracy of the enemy target by 20% for the duration of the skill.

- Diagnostic Scan can now be used on enemies, grants the user "Unshakeable" for the duration of the skill, gains a 30 second cooldown, and increases incoming damage to the enemy target from all sources by 5% for the duration of the skill.

- Tranquilizer can now be used on group members, and grants them 20% alacrity and immunity to interrupts and pushback for 10 seconds. The user can only hand out this buff once every 2 minutes.

- [ON USE] Grants a buff so that the next use of Triage now cleanses up to 8 allies within 40m of the user. The buff lasts for 10 seconds. (2 minute cooldown)

Edited by happysister

It would be nice to have a PVE set that makes it so Stim Boost turns Kolto waves into orbital Kolto Strike allowing us to cast something and keep throwing out single target heals more efficiently in a pinch but with a considerable cooldown to make it not insanely OP.

I would also like something for toughness in pvp, the other 2 healers get something where they can more or less stay in combat and keep fighting. We do get cloaking screen but unless you take the util you typically get popped out of it in seconds. A bonus to make cloaking screen give us 4 seconds of invulnerability while in stealth to let our hots tick a bit would be awesome.

Note for balance: it would also be nice to get unkakeable on the first roll, not the second since most of us rarely double roll, it triggers the stuck bug that ultimately gets us booted out of WZ, it's very obvious and usually someone just runs up and stuns us, and we try to space out the exfiltrate mitigation bonus as much as possible; instead give it the cooldown from proccing as if it were the same as it is. Maybe make Curbing Strategies utility work on toxic haze for medicine too just so we can control our distance a little better even at the cost of Tactical Advantage.

Evasion (this would be nice for quasi offheals in lethality too) could heal the group for X amount of dmg received.

Recuperative nanotech applies a spike damage buff to the group/ops making every attack cause X amount to dmg to the attacker for 5 seconds.

My only other idea would be something to give us a break from constant pressure in pvp because we are so vulnerable but it might be a bad idea because if a medicine op actually does have a guard they're pretty hard to kill.

First, thank you for asking for our input and let me say how excited I am at the prospect of customizing our classes more than ever before! I main an Operative exclusively, am proficient in all its disciplines, and have completed all my best achievements with this class (Revanchist, HM Coratanni, NiM Dread Council, etc.) along with regularly playing Ranked/Unranked PVP, Flashpoints, Uprisings, Events, etc.

Along with post here I've also shared my thoughts in the other Operative Set Bonus & Tactical Items discipline threads. I've made suggestions based on my experience with this class and with both PVE/PVP in mind. I've started by listing the challenges that I face with each discipline as a guiding factor for my suggestions but I also targeted abilities that I don't often use. Thank you for reading!

Discipline Challenges: Burst Healing, Healing on the Move, Energy

Medicine:

[set Bonus] Diagnostic Scan's healing and energy regeneration are doubled.

[set Bonus] Kolto Injection's energy cost is reduced.

[set Bonus] Medical Engineering's (Passive) chance to grant Tactical Advantage is doubled.

[set Bonus] Kolto Infusion's energy cost is reduced.

[Tactical] Toxin Scan can be used twice before going on cooldown.

[Tactical] Kolto Waves can be cast while moving.

[Tactical] Recuperative Nanotech refreshes Kolto Probes (if there are 2 stacks of Kolto Probes).

[Tactical] Toxin Scan additionally grants a Healing Over Time effect.

[Tactical] Kolto Injection/Kolto Infusion can be cast while moving.

All Disciplines:

[set Bonus] Increases the max stack limit of Tactical Advantage by 1 (stacks with other increases).

[Tactical] Countermeasures now increases movement speed by 50% (stacks with other movement boosts).

[Tactical] Adrenaline Probe's cooldown is reduced.

[Tactical] Stim Boost now additionally restores x energy over the duration.

[Tactical] Using Kolto Probe now automatically applies 2 stacks of Kolto Probe.

[Tactical] Revive (General ability) cannot be interrupted for 10 seconds after exiting Stealth.

[Tactical] Overload Shot now applies a Damage Over Time effect and reduces the target's healing received.

[Tactical] Overload Shot now places all of the target's abilities on cooldown for 1 GCD (except abilities not on the GCD) but has an increased energy cost (similar to the Uppercut unarmed combat legacy ability).

[Tactical] Infiltration can now be used in combat and out of stealth and provides a damage reduction bonus to all group members within 10 meters.

Nice Try: When ending, Shield Probe will release a electrical burst stunning all enemies in a 4m range for 3 seconds, the stun will break on damage. If target resolve is filled then apply debuff: ‘Electrical Burns’ which reduce movement by 70% for 3 seconds.

Shield Shock: When ending, Shield Probe will release a electrical burst stunning all enemies in a 4m range for 3 seconds, the stun will break on damage. If target resolve is filled then apply debuff: ‘Electrical Burns’ which reduce movement by 70% for 3 seconds.

Edited by UltraFlashStar

Using Escape grants entrench (require us to press escape twice for it)to become immune to CC and interrupts for 5 seconds I would recommend it becoming siege like, if we use it we are stuck in place for the duration. Edited by Sebastianne

Using Escape grants entrench (require us to press escape twice for it)to become immune to CC and interrupts for 5 seconds... if we use it we are stuck in place for the duration.

In PvP, Scoundrel heals are supposed to be a mobile healing class, only stopping for a few seconds to use a channeled heal. Keeping us stuck in one position for 5 seconds allowing enemies to gang up on you would be bad. If there was some type of damage reduction (like 40%-50% damage reduction when immobilized) would be nice.

Set Bonus:

AOE healing set bonus:

Defensive Set Bonus:

Tactical Items:

I like this a lot :)

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

MEDICINE/SAWBONES

Tactical Suggestions:

• Increase surgical probe’s critical chance by 100% on targets below 30% max health
  • Stim boost has a decreased cooldown and grants [rp name]. The cooldown of Stim Boost is now decreased by 50%, and has its duration decreased by 9s. Consuming [rp name] by the recuperative, injection or infusion consumes the buff and provides a bonus effect:
    • recuperative: provides a 5%damage reduction to all targets
    • injection: Instant + HoT
    • infusion: Places a HoT on the target, which heals for x amount once the HoT has expired.

[*](New Ability) new TA sink single target DPS ability

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Activating a healing ability grants [rp name] which causes your next Kolto Injection to be a critical. This effect cannot occur more than once every 60s.
  • 4 set - Recuperative cooldown is decreased by 3 seconds
  • 6 set - The last tick of Kolto Waves applies a HoT over all affected targets

Tactical Mods

Kolto Injection) now releases a healing aura for you and the closest 3 members healing over time.

Toxic scan)

now applies a diagnostic regulator healing the target a ( certain amount) when their health falls below 45% for the next 30 seconds this also changes diagnostic scan cleansing the target over time but effect can only be used once every 10 seconds

Kolto Waves)

now leaves behind a pool of kolto residue that continuously heals any group members standing on it over time

Recuperative Nanotech)

leaves behind a trail of nanites to up to 4 group members using diagnostic scan releases nanites healing target for x amount over time

Tactical Superiority)

now places a shield barrier on every group member healing and restoring their power over time

Kolto wave)

releases a kolto capsule healing all 8 members immediately for x amount and healing x amount of health over time for x amount of seconds growing in strength with every group member healed

Set Bonus Gear

kolto injections healing aura now reachs 2 more targets (2 peice)

kolto probe's duratoin is extended (4 peice)

tactical advtange's max stack is increased by 2 stacks (6peice)

Set Bonuses:

2 pc: Each Stack of Kolto-Probe or Slow Release Medpack increases the target's damage reduction by 1%.

4 pc: Decreases the cast time of Kolto Injection or Underworld Medicine by 0.5 (if this is too much then reduce by 0.2s)

6 pc: Kolto-Probe and Slow-Release Medpack now stacks up to 3 times.

Please remove the utility Curative Agent and Sly Surrender from the Legendary tier to the heroic tier and remove the utilities Cunning Competencies and Dirty Trickster from the game. Then Rework Curative Agent/Sly Surrender to have the following effects:

Activating Countermeasures or Surrender grants Curative Agent or Sly Surrender, which purges all movement impairing effects and causes you to heal for 1% of your maximum health per second for 10 seconds.

Then make the following tactical item:

Kolto Infusion or Kolto Pack heals for X and heals for an additional Y over 9 seconds

This will create a space for another legendary utility, in this space please make a utility that allows Kolto Waves to be channeled while moving!!!!

Finally, in the legendary tier, please buff the Augmented Shields or Hot Wired Defenses utility to, give the scoundrel or operative an additional 30% damage reduction while stunned!!! Every other healing class in the game has 30% DR while stunned, I don't understand why scoundrels and operatives do not have this utility, they are by far the squishiest healing class of the 3 in pvp because of it!

Edit: if you're worried that giving 30% DR to concealment operatives might make them overpowered then you can make the 30% DR while stunned unique to the medicine/sawbones skill tree.

Edited by Zero_Unlimited

Rather than come up with specific ideas for the new tactical items and set bonuses, I had some ideas about what abilities have the most potential.

1. Stim Boost - This ability, with the Revitalizers utility, makes the next Kolto Injection instant AND grants 10%, AND grants 20% less damage taken AND 5% restores health every 3 seconds. Will all those different aspects, it is very unclear what this ability is really meant to be.

I would like to see this be a prime candidate for a tactical item. It could grant two auto crit Kolto Infusions, like a Sniper's Laze Target. Or it could make Kolto Waves channel 50% faster. Or it could grant reduced Force/Tech damage received. Tactical Items would make it possible to turn Stim Boost into distinctly different abilities depending on play style.

2. Countermeasures - I would like to see a tactical item for this ability because currently it is only made useful by a utility. The ability to place two Kolto Probes with one GCD is great, and it being placed on an ability off the GCD, and with little base value works very well. I would like to see other options to augment this ability with. Maybe reset the CD of Recuperative Nanotech, or something more defense oriented.

The remaining abilities have less potential than the first two, but are still worth noting.

3. Shield Probe - This is a boring ability, but has room to add some interesting mechanics. Possibly increased shield amount, health on collapse, DR on collapse, ect.

4. Adrenaline Probe - A tactical item could change how this ability restores energy. It could reduces the CD and energy granted in half, witch would benefit a more single target burst oriented style. It could restore more energy over a longer period of time, and there are many other possibilities.

This last one belongs on the Wall of Crazy, but could be very interesting.

5. Infiltrate - A seldom used ability, with a very small opportunity to even be considered. A tactical item could completely change this ability, and give extremely different results based on the item chosen.

When it comes to Set Bonuses, my main thoughts are simply that the auto crit Kolto Injection is very important to the spec. It is so important that I would argue that it should be worked into the spec itself. Other than that, there are so many possibilities that it is hard to settle on a few ideas without knowing more about the upcoming changes.

Tactical item - Toxin Scan - resets the cooldown on Kolto Infusion and makes it instant cast.

Tactical item - Diagnostic Scan - becomes a self toggle and increases all heals by 10 percent with a 2 percent energy drain over time.

There are many on this thread with amazing ideas and a much greater technical understanding of the class. That said, as one who uses Op/Scoundrel heals as a secondary healer my main issue with the class is entirely tied to Kolto Probes/Slow Release Medpacks. My greatest wish for an item to alter that mechanic would be to greatly lengthen the time they are up on the target. Ideally, I would like the time to be comparable to Commando/Merc's Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe. Again, only in time on target, not healing strength or stack sizes.

As it exists now, I do not enjoy trying to keep two probes up on anyone other than the tanks. Turning my attention to a dps means reapplying those probes on the tank, taking time that might be the difference between life and death. A tactical item or set bonus that mitigates that would be well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
There are many on this thread with amazing ideas and a much greater technical understanding of the class. That said, as one who uses Op/Scoundrel heals as a secondary healer my main issue with the class is entirely tied to Kolto Probes/Slow Release Medpacks. My greatest wish for an item to alter that mechanic would be to greatly lengthen the time they are up on the target. Ideally, I would like the time to be comparable to Commando/Merc's Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe. Again, only in time on target, not healing strength or stack sizes.

As it exists now, I do not enjoy trying to keep two probes up on anyone other than the tanks. Turning my attention to a dps means reapplying those probes on the tank, taking time that might be the difference between life and death. A tactical item or set bonus that mitigates that would be well worth it.

Along this line, a tactical for Kolto Probe that makes managing it easier on multiple targets:

Kolto Probe now leaves a residual effect on the target for 6 secs after it expires. During the 6 secs, Kolto Probe does not do any healing but can be refreshed (with Surgical Probe or another application of Kolto Probe) as if it had the current number of stacks.

This tactical would make Kolto Probe behave like the current Virulence Sniper dots. They do damage for their duration, then linger as a ghost debuff that still triggers Cull even after they stop doing damage. But in this case, KP could be refreshed at the current value while in the ghost buff form.

• 4 months later...

Well it seems that the only usable set for Scoundrels/Operatives is the Tactitian one, curious where that will fit in - DPS or healing, since we now can "prefer" which loot we will get from the portrait menu :o

How many tacticals can you use? It was one right? Really torn between the moving Kolto Pack one or the "always critical below 50%" probe thingy i mean they should stack and make it "super critical" then... ^^

Don't discount the tactical that reduces the cast time of your next underworld medicine when you use emergency medpack. Seems like a significant boost to burst, which doesn't require your target to be below 50% to be effective. I feel like the sub 50% autocrit looks really nice, but (in operations at least) you don't really want to let people drop that low in health.

But yeah, for set bonus tactician seems the obvious way to go for healers.

Edited by AdjeYo

Don't discount the tactical that reduces the cast time of your next underworld medicine when you use emergency medpack. Seems like a significant boost to burst, which doesn't require your target to be below 50% to be effective. I feel like the sub 50% autocrit looks really nice, but (in operations at least) you don't really want to let people drop that low in health.

But yeah, for set bonus tactician seems the obvious way to go for healers.

Yeah, I'm happy I will only need the Tactician set as dps & heals -- for now. I think Diagnostic Probe is the way to go for heals as well. With 4-stack UH, you can 3x Emergency Medpac, then Insta-Underworld Med, then Emergency Medpac (or Kolto Pack) again if you want/need. And this way, you may also be able maintain HoTs on others because you're only using 4-5 GCD's instead of hard casting.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller