Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vibroknife: Stat stick or actual weapon?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Vibroknife: Stat stick or actual weapon?

qqemokitty
12.26.2011 , 11:45 PM | #1
So yes, by now we all know the (logical) complaint that there appear to be no moddable vibroknives available. And we all know that it sucks, as melee dps, to not have our main weapon be a) visible and b) cool looking.

But those known concerns aside, can someone tell me what the hell the VK is doing for me aside from giving stats? :P

I'm medic specced, so I don't spend a ton of time doing damage, but I want to make sure I have the best stuff available for when I do need to. So my ultimate question is this:

What does the VK affect, damage wise? Does it have any impact on our melee attacks at all? Should I be concerned about the lack of moddable ones because my melee damage would be buffed by having a superior VK?

(Side note: saying VK really brings me back to talking about vibro-knucklers in SWG. :P )
Let them see what is not there, and feel what does not touch them.
When they no longer trust their senses... that is the time to strike.

RavensDaemon
12.27.2011 , 01:31 AM | #2
answer is debilitate.. backstab , shiv

Avia
12.27.2011 , 08:44 AM | #3
It definitely does, when I went from a random green to a blue with ~20 more max damage, there was a fairly significant increase on shiv/backstab damage (don't have lacerate yet, but probably that as well).

Yanaji
12.27.2011 , 09:11 AM | #4
Actual weapon. Replace one while seeing the before/after of the damage on Shiv, the tooltip updates itself to it's real damage. The weapon contributes quite a bit, it'll make a difference later on as well.

It does suck that they aren't moddable, but it does appear every other planet has one as a commendations reward.

Suzushiiro
12.27.2011 , 09:26 AM | #5
The damage ranges on both the vibroknife and blaster rifle are relevant to your interest, neither should be considered a stat stick for DPS. Think of it like a dual-wielding class where you have a "main hand" weapon that's important to all of your core abilities and an "off hand" weapon that contributes to your less important damage sources. For concealment your vibroknife is your MH and your rifle is your OH, for lethality it's reversed and your rifle is your MH while your knife is your OH.

MasamuneX
12.27.2011 , 09:30 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
So yes, by now we all know the (logical) complaint that there appear to be no moddable vibroknives available. And we all know that it sucks, as melee dps, to not have our main weapon be a) visible and b) cool looking.

But those known concerns aside, can someone tell me what the hell the VK is doing for me aside from giving stats? :P

I'm medic specced, so I don't spend a ton of time doing damage, but I want to make sure I have the best stuff available for when I do need to. So my ultimate question is this:

What does the VK affect, damage wise? Does it have any impact on our melee attacks at all? Should I be concerned about the lack of moddable ones because my melee damage would be buffed by having a superior VK?

(Side note: saying VK really brings me back to talking about vibro-knucklers in SWG. :P )
It's a stat stick. The DPS range has no direct effect on your dps at all. Op melee attacks are all tech based attacks and as such, the damage is based on things that buff your tech attacks ( cunning, power, tech power ). It's no different then equipping a pair of gloves or pants. ( with the exception of the +tech power vibro knives exclusively )
Marasume Guardian ( Fountation Stone )

reillan
12.27.2011 , 09:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MasamuneX View Post
It's a stat stick. The DPS range has no direct effect on your dps at all. Op melee attacks are all tech based attacks and as such, the damage is based on things that buff your tech attacks ( cunning, power, tech power ). It's no different then equipping a pair of gloves or pants. ( with the exception of the +tech power vibro knives exclusively )
^ This ^

Your dps base is based off of your +tech. Damage bonus is based off of cunning, power, etc.

Here's some good news for you though - the DPS of your ranged weapon DOES matter for your tech attacks - because the DPS of the ranged weapon determines how much +tech that weapon adds. If you look at a modable ranged weapon, and you swap out the dps barrel with a higher dps barrel, your +tech power will go up. Yay!
Band of Hope & A Light in the Dark - Christian-based Shien guilds.

qqemokitty
12.27.2011 , 01:10 PM | #8
Interesting.

I don't really use any ranged stuff anymore aside from overload shot. Since I am healing and ccing I spend most of my time in melee to use my stun and flash bomb and use shiv and backstab.

I did buy a new blue VK from a commendations vendor that was a really big upgrade, but I had to go to bed right after so haven't used it yet. :P

I still wish we got moddable ones. I don't understand why there are moddable vibroswords and yet not vibroknives. I guess I'm having trouble thinking of it as purely a stat stick since we do use it in our specials.

mrgl. :P
Let them see what is not there, and feel what does not touch them.
When they no longer trust their senses... that is the time to strike.

Hamchuck
12.28.2011 , 10:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MasamuneX View Post
It's a stat stick. ... It's no different then equipping a pair of gloves or pants. ( with the exception of the +tech power vibro knives exclusively )
I agree. Stat stick. And just for a bit of nit-picking, it's not like equipping a pair of pants. Pants graphics change whereas knife graphics don't.

Though it would be really nice if it did. I like the rifle on my back but it's not my primary weapon.

Nague
12.29.2011 , 12:40 AM | #10
it doesnt matter, tech stat on knifes is directly proportional to the dps stat.
you wont even know which one is causing the damage increase because every 1 dps automatically adds X tech to the weapon.

you could even say any weapon is a stat stick since there is no autoattack.